The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+23
Plunky
mystiroakey
MontysMerkin
1GrumpyGolfer
dynamark
MustPuttBetter
Be_the_ball
GunsGerms
I'm never wrong
Shotrock
Mad for Chelsea
SmithersJones
Roller_Coaster
kwinigolfer
westisbest
raycastleunited
super_realist
McLaren
beninho
JAS
pedro
Davie
navyblueshorts
27 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 28 Sep 2016, 10:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Actually Davie, they didn't fit yours (apologies; 'idiocy' is a bit strong). Your earlier comments were all about how he'd actually done something terrible/illegal i.e. told them how to get around 3rd party ownership (he didn't) with the possible implication that he'd been knowingly involved in it (no evidence of this), took £400k for dodgy seminars (he didn't and he said he'd have to clear it with the FA) etc. You wanted him to be a crook from the off.
You also claimed Ben and I said he was 'innocent' - we said no such thing.

You never took S_R's approach re. his position being untenable because he was England manager, the one thing he probably falls foul of. His comments re. Hodgson/Nevile were unfortunate, but this was a private conversation and, actually, big deal. Seriously, the next poor schmuck who takes this on should treat the media as they deserve.

There may well be more to this - we'll see. Until then, the only thing he's 'guilty' of is putting himself in a stupid position cf. the FA's comments re. FIFA etc and forcing the FA to ask him to fall on his sword. S_R's right with this; the FA had little choice really.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 06 Mar 2017, 9:42 am

super_realist wrote:They do seem rather silly events to get so much news and coverage. To my non-cricket mind they seem about as meaningful as the Autumn Rugby Tests, or International Football Friendlies.
I'm a little at a loss here. It's only sport. Period. Why should any of it have any meaning? People enjoy watching it, which presumably drives the fact this sort of thing exists.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 20 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Mar 2017, 9:46 am

Roller_Coaster wrote: arguably more meaningful than the Ryder cup though!

So Test cricket is for European teams who can't win on the biggest stage?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 10:23 am

navyblueshorts wrote:
super_realist wrote:They do seem rather silly events to get so much news and coverage. To my non-cricket mind they seem about as meaningful as the Autumn Rugby Tests, or International Football Friendlies.
I'm a little at a loss here. It's only sport. Period. Why should any of it have any meaning? People enjoy watching it, which presumably drives the fact this sort of thing exists.

Well most sport as some sort of end game to it. Whether that be a league, a cup, or something along those lines. Test Cricket, outside of The Ashes doesn't seem to have any regimented timetable, doesn't seem to have a trophy, might have ranking points but it seems that the fixture is simply slotted in when they haven't played for a while. If a team wins, what have they won? Nothing as far as I can see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 06 Mar 2017, 10:36 am

There is a future tours programme for test cricket, countries need to play at least two bilateral test series over a ten year cycle. Please see for an outline of the future tours http://www.cricschedule.com/ftp.php I am not sure how more of a regimented timetable anyone needs when its already decided up until 2020.

If a team wins a series, be it test or one day, they have won that series. What else should they win apart from a trophy?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:07 am

It just seems unregulated for me, like there is no schedule for who they play and when and that it's just a case of "well, we haven't played them for a while, shall we arrange a "test?"

Can't think of any sport which doesn't actually revolve around actual tournaments or competitions and mostly revolves around pop up matches.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:08 am

puligny wrote:Lisbon Lion Tommy Gemmell dies after long illness. So where were people in '67? Alright where were the boards grey beards in 67? I watched it from the settee/soap/couch with my right leg in plaster! Not likely to forget that! Wonderful game.

I watched the game on telly (b & w) after finishing my homework. I had just turned 13 and was Celtic daft.

The other post mentions that the Lisbon Lions might all have been born within 30 miles of Celtic Park. Indeed, all bar Bobby Lennox, who came from Saltcoats, were born within 20 miles of Parkhead. Saltcoats is about 35miles away.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:13 am

Surely there were a lot of teams in those days where a lot, if not all players came from a very small radius of the Club they played for?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:35 am

super_realist wrote:Surely there were a lot of teams in those days where a lot, if not all players came from a very small radius of the Club they played for?

And how many of them won the European Cup - idiot!!

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:41 am

Bloody hell, how is it when I call Mac something as innocuous as a "plank" I get a warning from the Mods, but it's alright to be called an "idiot"?

I don't care if Celtic won the 1967 with a load of local players, I imagine most clubs who won the European Cup in that era weren't too different.

It would be interesting to see where the players of Madrid, Ajax, Inter, Feyenoord etc all came from. Doubt they were all that "cosmopolitan" back in those days.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:46 am

super,
Most of those teams, even then, included players from far and wide. And certainly every English team in my living memory has included footballers from thru'out the British Isles, can't think of anything close to an exception. Not sure about in Scotland, but I'd be surprised if there were.

EDIT: Suppose I should have given an honourable mention to Steve McLaren's Middlesborough side who once had ten starters from the local area. But I'm not sure that wasn't just a stunt, but a notable achievement regardless. No European Cup though.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:52 am

Ok, that's my question. It would be unbelievable if Celtic won the Champions League now, it would be unthinkable if they did it with locals, but I don't think it's that amazing to do it in 1967 when times were so different.

Glasgow was a hotbed for talent in the 1960's. Was it that surprising a team did well?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:08 pm

super_realist wrote:It just seems unregulated for me, like there is no schedule for who they play and when and that it's just a case of "well, we haven't played them for a while, shall we arrange a "test?"

Can't think of any sport which doesn't actually revolve around actual tournaments or competitions and mostly revolves around pop up matches.

You didn't read the future tours schedule which was part of the previous message did you?

World Cups are played every 4 years, champions trophy every 2 years, world T20 every 2 years. Test matches played on a regular basis.

Maybe, Just maybe, stop talking about a sport you have little knowledge on.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:29 pm

super_realist wrote:Bloody hell, how is it when I call Mac something as innocuous as a "plank" I get a warning from the Mods, but it's alright to be called an "idiot"?

I don't care if Celtic won the 1967 with a load of local players, I imagine most clubs who won the European Cup in that era weren't too different.

It would be interesting to see where the players of Madrid, Ajax, Inter, Feyenoord etc all came from. Doubt they were all that "cosmopolitan" back in those days.

Because you ask so nicely, and because I am trying to dodge work.

Inter 1965 - 1 Brazilian 2 Spaniards 2 from Lombardy
Madrid 1966 - All Spanish 4 from Madrid
Manchester United 1968 - 2 Irish,1 Scot, 1 N.Ireland - 4 from Lancashire (3 Mancunians)
Milan 1969 - 1 German 1 Swede 4 from Lombardy
Feyenoord 1970 - 1 Swede 1 Austrian - 3 from Rotterdam.

Well done Celtic.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:28 pm

Super, do you have some sort of mild mental retardation? You have had a shocker over the last page or so. Headscratch
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:33 pm

Mac, is it amazing that Tom Morris won The Open at St.Andrews because he lived there? No, so who cares if Celtic did it?

People don't make a big thing of Liverpool winning the Fa Cup with no English players, so why is this impressive for Celtic to do it with a bunch of weedgies?

The important and surprising thing is they won it at all, where the players came from doesn't really matter.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:44 pm

Incredible figure quoted in today's WSJ:

"About 2,700 people had ($)seven-figure compensation packages at charities in 2014" etc, etc. (None within 20 miles of Glasgow.)

Clearly charity begins at home - I thought that number was a staggering indictment of the way our charitable contributions are used.
Name 'em and shame 'em.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 06 Mar 2017, 1:59 pm

Charities are often a complete swizz Kwini. I heard about one the other week where 75p in the £ went on admin.

I do however think you need good people at the head of these things, and that requires a proper salary, simply being a charitable person with a perceived moral backbone wouldn't mean I'd recruit someone like Mac to be the head of a charity just so I could give him 25k

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:19 pm

I can't say I'm surprised kwini. It's an industry more than anything else.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 07 Mar 2017, 8:57 am

McLaren wrote:Super, do you have some sort of mild mental retardation?  You have had a shocker over the last page or so.  Headscratch
picard For an avowed SJW, this is a little crass and more than a little stupid, don't you think?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Mar 2017, 9:02 am

He's a champagne SJW Navy.

He can call me what he wants, it really doesn't bother me, I'm not going to report him for it, like he does to me.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Mar 2017, 12:40 pm

super_realist wrote:He's a champagne SJW Navy.
Spumante.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 07 Mar 2017, 2:07 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:Super, do you have some sort of mild mental retardation?  You have had a shocker over the last page or so.  :headscratch:
:picard: For an avowed SJW, this is a little crass and more than a little stupid, don't you think?

Spot on Navy. Sorry that was a bit crass.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 07 Mar 2017, 2:13 pm

Yep there was no way that was mild.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Mar 2017, 10:42 am

Should've been 'wild', not 'mild'.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 08 Mar 2017, 10:16 pm

Imagine how Wenger would've reacted to tonights dodgy refereeing..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 08 Mar 2017, 10:41 pm

Footballers dive and con the referee ands its the poor old ref that gets the blame. Anyway I went with stoke grinding out a nil nil at man city...it was awful.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 7:47 am

Quite a contrast to see Barcelona fight back rather than that team from "the world's best league" get stuffed in the holocaust at the Emirates.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:07 am

super_realist wrote:Quite a contrast to see Barcelona fight back rather than that team from "the world's best league" get stuffed in the holocaust at the Emirates.

Those pesky Germans and their Holocausts...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 9:09 am

Too soon?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:09 am

Super

Why would you so painfully shoehorn in that term? If you are going to do edgy humor at least make it funny and a lot less forced.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:15 am

Why wouldn't I Mac? Are you pretending to be offended on behalf of something that happened over 70 years ago?

Holocaust simply means slaughter on a large scale, which is exactly what Arsenal suffered. Sorry if it harmed your over-sensitive sensibility, faux-fence radar and synthetic outrage response. Coming as it does from someone who was saying I was "retarded" just the other day, you're not exactly the person standing on any sort of moral high ground, are you?

By the way, it's HUMOUR, not HUMOR Mac

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:21 am

Arsenal suffered an animal sacrifice at the Emirates?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:22 am

More than one usage Ben

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

No mention of the blitz?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:28 am

Super

I am not offended myself or on anyone's behalf but I have some suspicions about someone who so clumsily works ideas about Germans and the holocaust into a joke.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:35 am

So calling someone retarded is better?

You obviously don't know the difference between Germany and Nazi Germany. Do yourself a favour (or favor if you prefer) and read a book other than Doak.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:38 am

I can understand if a Jewish person was offended, I don't know if we have many that read this message board.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:52 am

Mac and Monty would find offence in a cheese sandwich.

No one would open their mouth if you worried about offending someone every time you wanted to say something.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

There is a difference between offending someone unintentionally. Or even telling an offensive joke, you know exactly what you are doing in that case.

But setting out to look controversial on a golf message board, is just a bit strange. The only reason to liken a football match to a holocaust is to make a point. The point being that you are acting like a massive dick.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Mar 2017, 10:58 am

Ok Jeremy.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 09 Mar 2017, 11:04 am

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20