The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Floyd vs GGG

+9
Happytravelling
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
Atila
horizontalhero
ShahenshahG
BoxingFan88
superflyweight
AdamT
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Floyd vs GGG Empty Floyd vs GGG

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:33 am

Ok it isn't going to happen. But lets just say for arguments sake it does.

If Floyd were to face GGG at 154 and win, or even lose a very competitive fight, Were would you then rank him? For the people that think he is a cherry picker, would you place him higher? Or does GGG just become a hype job that Brook already showed in moments of their fight??

Robert Garcia and Freddie Roach both think Floyd could win. I don't think he would win at 160, but I think he could pull off the upset at 154.

This isn't a wind up article. I'm genuinely interested in any replies.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Floyd vs GGG Empty Re: Floyd vs GGG

Post by superflyweight Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:45 am

AdamT wrote:Ok it isn't going to happen. But lets just say for arguments sake it does.

If Floyd were to face GGG at 154 and win, or even lose a very competitive fight, Were would you then rank him? For the people that think he is a cherry picker, would you place him higher? Or does GGG just become a hype job that Brook already showed in moments of their fight??

Robert Garcia and Freddie Roach both think Floyd could win. I don't think he would win at 160, but I think he could pull off the upset at 154.

Floyd vs GGG Giphy

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 12:21 pm

superflyweight wrote:
AdamT wrote:Ok it isn't going to happen. But lets just say for arguments sake it does.

Floyd vs GGG Giphy

Thank you for your thorough contribution. As usual Superflyweight (probably have small man syndrome going by your pathetic name) you could be relied upon.

I hope you have a good day sir!!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:20 pm

Would have to take that win very seriously

Personally I give Floyd no chance at all against, GGG unless at 154 GGG is so drained he can't do anything

If he pulled it off, it would be the best win of his career

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:23 pm

I think he would have a shot at 154, no chance at 160.

Floyd's age and lack of power would be his downfall.

It won't happen. To be honest he doesn't need the fight. Was just curious to see some replies.

GGG will soon move to 168 and call out Ward, (knowing that Ward will not make 168) and accuse him of ducking.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:25 pm

AdamT wrote:I think he would have a shot at 154, no chance at 160.

Floyd's age and lack of power would be his downfall.

It won't happen. To be honest he doesn't need the fight. Was just curious to see some replies.

GGG will soon move to 168 and call out Ward, (knowing that Ward will not make 168) and accuse him of ducking.

Nah GGG won't call Ward out at 168

I don't think GGG has mentioned Ward's name, its Ward who is name dropping constantly

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:26 pm

Sanchez said Ward was ducking GGG. Doesn't matter, we will agree to disagree.

If Floyd beat GGG, he would go down as a real legend. Roach and Garcia both think he can outbox GGG.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:38 pm

Both of them probably want him to die.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:41 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Both of them probably want him to die.

Probably! Or maybe they see serious weakness in GGG's style.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

Looking at the variables here the three big questions are;
1. How much does it take out of GGG to make 154?
2. Have Floyd's legs got tweleve rounds left in them?
3. Can Floyd take a good single shot from GGG?

If GGG struggles to make the weight and it a bit drained, if Floyd can keep moving, and can absorb the odd shot that GGG did get through, then yes he could win. Floyds not going to be strong enough, or hit hard enough to discourage GGG from pressurizing him, but I could envisage him boxing rings around GGG, and I think that GGG struggles to land on him with any frequency, or with enough clean shots to KO him. It's a winnable fight, and adds Kudos to Floyds legacy..if he prepared to take the risk- you know that an SRR type would have done

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:55 pm

horizontalhero wrote:Looking at the variables here the three big questions are;
1. How much does it take out of GGG to make 154?
2. Have Floyd's legs got tweleve rounds left in them?
3. Can Floyd take a good single shot from GGG?

If GGG struggles to make the weight and it a bit drained, if Floyd can keep moving, and can absorb the odd shot that GGG did get through, then yes he could win. Floyds not going to be strong enough, or hit hard enough to discourage GGG from pressurizing him, but I could envisage him boxing rings around GGG, and I think that GGG struggles to land on him with any frequency, or with enough clean shots to KO him. It's a winnable fight, and adds Kudos to Floyds legacy..if he prepared to take the risk- you know that an SRR type would have done

This is a great analysis. I fully agree with everything you have said.

Ultimately Floyd isn't one to take risks, however he has been retired and many don't give a sh1t about the zero. Would he cash it in for another nine figure sum??

He won't make that fighting anyone else.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:04 pm

I wouldn't rate Floyd any higher than I do now if he beat GGG at 154lbs. Now, if he beat him at 160lb, that's  a different story. 160lb is GGG's weight, I don't want to see his abilities compromised in any way. I just don't like catchweight title fights or the slight chance that an opponent is going into a fight weight drained.

Last edited by Atila on Fri 21 Oct 2016, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:06 pm

Sure GGG said he can make 154, so why not?? Should Floyd fight someone much bigger??

Floyd is 147, GGG is 160. Both guys could meet in the middle. Apparently GGG is a small MW.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:09 pm

The way I see it

GGG pins Floyd in a corner and beats him down, GGG is one of the best in the entire sport at cutting the ring off

You cannot hide from him, Floyd doesn't have the fire power to keep him off

Not a difficult fight to choose imo

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:10 pm

We will never know. I think GGG is overrated and Floyd is underrated. 160 GGG would win, but at 154 I back Floyd to run circles around him and pick up a close points win.

Be Sugar Ray vs Hagler all over again.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:18 pm

How much is GGG draining himself now to make 160lb? I just think that he fights at 160lb because that's his best weight, the weight that he can get down to and still be 100%. Yes, I'm sure he could make 154lb if enough money was put on the table, I just don't know if we'd see him at his best.

There would always be someone questioning the legitimacy of the win if Floyd beat him at 154lb.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:20 pm

Just watched GGG vs Brook again . He is a tough, strong f..ker, but he has holes in his game.

Floyd might be a bit small to exploit them, but they are there. He is the best 160lb fighter now, but I think Canelo will beat him late next year.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

AdamT wrote:

You're a troublemaker. Very Happy

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:26 pm

Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:

lol

Look GGG can fight. I just think he has a few holes in his game. I am man enough to admit, I have seen few guys that could trouble him.

He cleans up at 168 if he goes up.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:55 pm

AdamT wrote:
Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:

lol

Look GGG can fight. I just think he has a few holes in his game. I am man enough to admit, I have seen few guys that could trouble him.

Because I love debates

I would be interested to see how Floyd "runs circles around him"

Like I already said, GGG is amazing at cutting the ring off, Floyd wouldn't be able to escape

Brook couldn't he got trapped in the corners and got his backside whooped

Yeah he landed a few shots, but he got retired within 6 rounds

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

Did you see the Brook fight? He has a great chin, but he is extremely easy to hit. GGG would only beat Floyd because he is bigger.

He is a fair bit of Mayweathers talent level. Brook is also no where near Floyd and he had some great moments.

Canelo will beat GGG next year. Mark my words. I stand by them.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:17 pm

AdamT wrote:Did you see the Brook fight? He has a great chin, but he is extremely easy to hit. GGG would only beat Floyd because he is bigger.

He is a fair bit of Mayweathers talent level. Brook is also no where near Floyd and he had some great moments.

Canelo will beat GGG next year. Mark my words. I stand by them.

Canelo is going to get the beating of his life, GGG is better in every department

GGG is not easy to hit if he doesn't want to be, if you can't see that he declared war and wanted a fire fight then I don't know what to tell you

I'll just leave this here, so you can actually see how good he is, his subtle movements and how he rolls/blocks punches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH8Wu9bF-y4

I'm not really sure at what point getting stuck in and having a fight was a bad thing?

I know you just think GGG is a puncher with a good chin, but you are completely wrong, he is one of the most skilled in the entire sport

Its a different skill to come forward, be aggressive and still not get hit

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:19 pm

I know he is a good boxer. I'm not an idiot.

I just don't like the chap very much! Cool

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:26 pm

AdamT wrote:I know he is a good boxer. I'm not an idiot.

I just don't like the chap very much! Cool

Hahahaha

Why don't you like GGG though?

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:27 pm

Because he is fighting people well below his level. He has the talent to climb divisions and wreck folk. I think he is treading water.

Also a few idiots on here has put me off him (mainly one).

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:30 pm

BoxingFan88 wrote:
GGG is not easy to hit if he doesn't want to be, if you can't see that he declared war and wanted a fire fight then I don't know what to tell you

I'll just leave this here, so you can actually see how good he is, his subtle movements and how he rolls/blocks punches

I'm not really sure at what point getting stuck in and having a fight was a bad thing?

I know you just think GGG is a puncher with a good chin, but you are completely wrong, he is one of the most skilled in the entire sport

Sorry but that first line is a complete fallacy, he was getting hit before that point and he changed tactics because he knew he couldn't outbox Brook but could outmuscle him, that's not a fault on GGG's fault but he was letting Brook hit him or anybody else.

He's a good boxer there's no doubting that but he's not at the level you make him out to be, having his power is a massive psychological edge over pretty much everyone, they retreat straight away letting him do what he wants.

I'll be interested to see how he does against someone who isn't scared or too small.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

[quote="BoxingFan88"]
AdamT wrote:
Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:

lol

Because I love debates

Like I already said, GGG is amazing at cutting the ring off, Floyd wouldn't be able to escape

Yeah he landed a few shots, but he got retired within 6 rounds[/quote)

Manny is good at cutting down the ring and is faster on his feet than GGG, and he got nowhere near Floyd. Arguments were made that Alvarez would pin Floyd down..but he didn't. I'm not saying that Floyd definitely wins, but you can't right him off.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:39 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:

lol

Because I love debates

Manny is good at cutting down the ring and is faster on his feet than GGG, and he got nowhere near Floyd. Arguments were made that Alvarez would pin  Floyd down..but he didn't. I'm not saying that Floyd definitely wins, but you can't right him off.

At his age you could write him off at 160. But 154? I think he would be a live dog.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:40 pm

horizontalhero wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:
AdamT wrote:
Atila wrote:
AdamT wrote:

lol

Because I love debates

Manny is good at cutting down the ring and is faster on his feet than GGG, and he got nowhere near Floyd. Arguments were made that Alvarez would pin  Floyd down..but he didn't. I'm not saying that Floyd definitely wins, but you can't right him off.

Manny isn't as good as GGG at cutting the ring off

Watch that video and look at his footwork

Also Manny has shorter arms, which makes a big difference

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:42 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
BoxingFan88 wrote:

Sorry but that first line is a complete fallacy, he was getting hit before that point and he changed tactics because he knew he couldn't outbox Brook but could outmuscle him, that's not a fault on GGG's fault but he was letting Brook hit him or anybody else.

He's a good boxer there's no doubting that but he's not at the level you make him out to be, having his power is a massive psychological edge over pretty much everyone, they retreat straight away letting him do what he wants.

I'll be interested to see how he does against someone who isn't scared or too small.

You really think GGG couldn't have outboxed Brook

did you not see his jab absolutely killing Brook

GGG wanted a war, you could see it in the build up, he wasn't Mr Happy Go Lucky, he was going out in destruction mode, I said it before the fight even started

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 21 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

I don't believe he could have no because he didn't and he was getting beaten to the punch time and time again before he changed his tactics.

You seem to mistake being heavy handed for ability, Brook struggled with the power more than anything.

That last sentence is nothing but an excuse for looking beatable in parts, he was getting outboxed by a better, quicker but smaller man it's not the end of the world.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Fri 21 Oct 2016, 5:59 pm

Outboxed?

Brook won one round

You must rate ggg more than I do if you think that

Brook got absolutely Hammered

He landed a few good shots but ggg landed far far more

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 7:45 pm

GGG can fight, but there are no Hopkins, Rjj, or Toney to compete with.

I definitely wouldn't pick him to beat Jones. To be honest I doubt he beats the other two either

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 21 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

Surely being heavy handed is an ability in a sport where the aim is to render your opponent unconscious? It's a rather strange fallacy, I can't imagine someone saying Usain Bolt isn't talented he just runs really fast
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 7:50 pm

It is an ability, of course. So is invading them.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 9:48 pm

Unless GGG is severely drained at 154 I can't see him losing against Floyd, as good as he is.

GGG cuts the ring down well and is spiteful with both hands. As good as Floyd's chin etc is, I don't think he'd take the beating.

As for GGG at SMW, the money has been there for some time and he's steadfastly refused to move up. His corner know he's a small MW and they know if he steps up there are many with power and reach that will nullify his style nicely.

Ironically, I think GGG would take the fight at 154, Floyd won't. He's an egotistical SOB and he won't enter a fight he's not confident he has over a 50% chance of winning.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

So if GGG is a small mw and Floyd is a big Welter, does that mean GGG is better than Floyd??

Does he belong higher p4p??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Fri 21 Oct 2016, 10:39 pm

Given WW is the upper bound of Floyd's career. At light middle and above, yes, I'd say GGG is better (if GGG isn't too weight drained at that weight, which I think he wouldn't be. Just my opinion).

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri 21 Oct 2016, 11:18 pm

Happytravelling wrote:Unless GGG is severely drained at 154 I can't see him losing against Floyd, as good as he is.

GGG cuts the ring down well and is spiteful with both hands. As good as Floyd's chin etc is, I don't think he'd take the beating.

As for GGG at SMW, the money has been there for some time and he's steadfastly refused to move up. His corner know he's a small MW and they know if he steps up there are many with power and reach that will nullify his style nicely.

Ironically, I think GGG would take the fight at 154, Floyd won't. He's an egotistical SOB and he won't enter a fight he's not confident he has over a 50% chance of winning.

still not convinced that GGG cuts down a ring better than Floyd moves round one- and if he isn't his not landing enough shots to put a beating on him.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:27 am

Golovkin would win for sure if he could make the weight properly. An old, pretty past it de la Hoya pushed Mayweather all the way at 154. Golovkin would hammer him.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Happytravelling Sat 22 Oct 2016, 12:57 am

Horizontal, I appreciate it's just my opinion.

But, for me, Floyd has never exactly danced round the ring. He tucks his chin in etc. He's there to be hit and he will get hit.

As mentioned, if an aging former featherweight like ODLH can trouble Floyd a natural MW with true spite in every punch, reach etc can.

It's not just superior weight fighters are up against as they move up. They're against taller men, with longer reaches who can give and taker more power.

I think Floyd will struggle and, to be blunt, if Floyd thought he could do it easily he'd take it. He let pacman age before he fought him, to push the odds in his favour. Floyd can pick and choose fights and he doesn't pick fights he's not confident he can win. If he's not taking the next biggest fight in boxing, it's because he's not confident he can win it.

Happytravelling

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 22 Oct 2016, 8:44 am

definitely agree with you on that- Floyd's not getting in with any fighter he's not 100% sure that the can beat-and ultimately that's what will count against him in ATG ratings

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 22 Oct 2016, 8:48 am

Golovkin called Floyd out for about four years but got no response. The whole of boxing wanted to see it but all you kept getting was why wouldn't Golovkin move up

Golovkin was prepared to drain himself to get the fight but Floyd wanted no part and for good reason Golovkin cuts the ring off too well and Floyd wouldn't be able to take those shots around the midriff. A win over Golovkin would have raised Floyd's all time standing no end but he declined the longer he rejected the fight the more vocal he became about his own greatness there was a direct correlation

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:08 am

Who was GGG four years ago??

Fans were not calling for that fight years ago. Don't talk nonsense and show me some proof.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:15 am

If GGG was so good, he should of stepped up to fight Ward.

Sure after he wiped the floor with Ward, he could take his pick with anyone from 160-168.

The truth is Ward would expose him. Someone like Lara would make him look ordinary. Not sure I'd pick Lara to win, but he moves well enough to give GGG fits.

It's ok cutting the ring off against bums. Bit harder against talented boxers.

GGG has fought bums. I don't care what you people think. It's the truth.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:26 am

Really hermy. Golovkin prepared to make 154 for the dollars against a guy he dwarfs. But not for anyone else. His team mouth off about fighting super middles but don't. He wants to unify middle, so why call out Welters.

Who'd win? If GGG can make 154 without too much adverse effect he's way too big for Floyd. Alvarez didn't have the footwork golovkin does.

But then the reason why 'everyone wanted the fight' is because people want to see Floyd stretched on the canvas. The idea it's s fair fight is risible. One guy is a fully fledged middle. The other guy is a light welter by modern standards who enters the ring at just above the welter limit, irrespective of the size of his opponent. He'd be giving away probably over a stone on fight night, to a very destructive puncher. Yes he did it against Alvarez. Yes he was selective over who he fought at light middle. The guy started at super feather and enters the ring at around 150. P***y ducker that he is.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:26 am

If Maidana can pin Floyd on the ropes then Golovkin going to get him there and finish him off yeah just my opinion Floyd keeps making too much noise about Golovkin from the safety of retirement

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:29 am

Anyone who uses GGG against Mayweather is living in cloud cuckoo land, they didn't fight in the same division for Christ sake.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:33 am

Jesus I have to say this again. GGG is closer to Ward's size, than Floyd is to GGG. Ward is also still in his prime. Make that fight instead.

Herman do you think GGG could pin Ward and punish him??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Sat 22 Oct 2016, 10:54 am

Would you stop talking about ward

I've told you so many times that fight could never have happened

Ward was fighting in courts rather than in the ring and it was all his own fault

He then sued his former promoter on his death bed despite the fact that his promoter did an amazing job for him

Ward mooted the fight for 168 in 2016 knowing full well he couldn't make the weight

This was after ggg already signed a fight

Try again

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next