The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union

+6
GunsGerms
fa0019
beshocked
BamBam
propdavid_london
George Hotel1895
10 posters

Go down

I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union Empty I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 27 Oct 2016, 10:42 am

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-inglis-came-close-to-ditching-rugby-league-for-europes-union-scene/news-story/cb8f42bb05547fed0be3095cf7fa2a3e

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union Empty Re: I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union

Post by propdavid_london Thu 27 Oct 2016, 4:13 pm

I think by now we can say that it is considerably more likely that league players will fail to make it in union than those that succeed.

Its an exceptional player to make the transition successfully.
Robinson, Lote Tukiri, Rodgers, Brad Thorn are the ones that spring to mind.

Burgess could have made it if his heart was in it and he was managed better by club and country.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union Empty Re: I nearly followed Sam Burgess into English union

Post by BamBam Thu 27 Oct 2016, 5:24 pm

Greg Inglis was probably a better league player than all of those who were successful in Union, genuinely one of the most amazing talents with ball in hand I'd seen in either code

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Fri 28 Oct 2016, 10:55 am

propdavid_london completely agree.

I think it's obvious why the transition is so hard. Rugby Union is a much more complex sport with more technical know how needed.

Though saying that I think sometimes the problems rugby league players have with the switch is primarily down to playing in an unsuitable position.

I am not yet convinced Kyle Eastmond is best suited for centre, I would rather he was converted to 9 and utilised his pace.

Pretty sure he was a scrum half in RL.

Obviously Bath wanted to use Burgess as a 6 and Lancaster wanted him in the centre which led to a real conflict.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:03 pm

Arguably no9 is more technical than 12 or 13!

Best transitions are those who play in the back 3.
The only exception to the rule is Brad Thorn.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:17 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Arguably no9 is more technical than 12 or 13!

Mat Rogers was a quality player. For a guy who never played the game bar school he would have been an all-time great IMO had he been raised in union. He was comfortable at 10 to 15 and had all the skills.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:20 pm

I thought he was a winger when I saw Rodgers play!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 28 Oct 2016, 3:23 pm

propdavid_london wrote:I thought he was a winger when I saw Rodgers play!

beginning yes but within a few years he was a centre/flyhalf both for club and country.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:53 pm

fa0019 wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:Arguably no9 is more technical than 12 or 13!

Mat Rogers was a quality player. For a guy who never played the game bar school he would have been an all-time great IMO had he been raised in union. He was comfortable at 10 to 15 and had all the skills.

He was class alright. Didn't he play centre though? Pretty sure he played centre in the 2003 WC anyway.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 01 Nov 2016, 1:58 pm

He did have a very irritating face though

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 01 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

I did like it when Lewsey smashed Rogers. He got exactly what he deserved Smile

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Wed 02 Nov 2016, 11:26 am

That was a great hit.....it had meaning. Smile

Interestingly Josh Charnley playing 1st game for Sale in the LV cup this weekend. Probably off the bench. I presume that he will be a winger.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 02 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Interestingly Josh Charnley playing 1st game for Sale in the LV cup this weekend.  Probably off the bench.  I presume that he will be a winger.
I think he'll at certainly start out as a wing. Diamond did say he could play full back too. He's a big lad. with a bit of an edge and still young (25) considering how much he's already achieved in League. I think he could do well if he sticks at it and he's managed/coached right. Sale's a good choice too: northern and not as high-profile as some other prem clubs.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 10 Nov 2016, 11:54 am

I loved Charnley at Wigan. I don't particularly rate him under bombs, but he's some finisher. So for that, I think he will stay wing.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 10 Nov 2016, 5:29 pm

Sonny Bill Williams has done alright as a league player convert. He was managed right though originally

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve_rugby Tue 29 Nov 2016, 9:20 pm

George Hotel1895 wrote:http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/greg-inglis-came-close-to-ditching-rugby-league-for-europes-union-scene/news-story/cb8f42bb05547fed0be3095cf7fa2a3e

And ?

Steve_rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down