The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My top 5 boxing references in hip hop

Go down

My top 5 boxing references in hip hop Empty My top 5 boxing references in hip hop

Post by sittingringside on Sun 13 Nov 2016, 11:50 pm

Punching, beats, rapping. They just work well together don't they? For anyone in need of first hand evidence of how well boxing and rap go together, a visit to the now sadly inactive iceveins productions youtube channel is in order .

Inevitably given rap's traditionally liberal sampling of pop culture, the superstar fighters of the day have been a part of the rap pantheon since the 80's, with Mike Tyson in particular cropping up in the rhymes of lyricists from both coasts, and just about everywhere in-between. Shouting out a fighter can serve a track thematically invoking pride, menace, cultural origin, and the underdog spirit that is so often a point of pride for the personas cultivated by both artists and athletes. Here are my favourite 5.

5-Pete Rock & Large Professor- The Rap World

"We throw blows to the dome like Mike Tyson
Suspend your rap license
Kid bring on the cake plus the icing"

A classic understated beat from two legendary New York MC's

4-Migos- Chinatown

"All these damn plugs, and young Takeoff I'm the socket
Beat that block, Bernard Hopkins, I got flavor Baskin Robins
I'm f***** Kitana, you know I got Sonya, for days
My diamonds they kick Johnny Cage, Quentin Jackson Rampage"

The ageless Bernard Hopkins is shouted out alongside mma favourite Rampage Jackson and, bizarrely, Mortal Kombat's Johnny cage.

3- Rage Against the Machine- Bulls on Parade

"The microphone explodes, shatterin the molds
Either droppin hits like De La O or get the f*** off the commode"

Alright alright, it's rap metal rather than hip hop, but the classic opening bars of this track are a perfect example of Rage's uncompromising aesthetic.

2- R.A The Rugged man- Boxing Freestyle

"Roberto Duran, all time greatest lightweight
Prince Naseem was wack, all the hype was fake
Leon Spinks was the ultimate slacker
Sugar Ray Leonard was great but he should've lost to Hagler
The seventies had the best heavyweights
From Ali, Frazier, to George Foreman, there were so many Greats"

Bit of a cheat as the whole song is just boxing references. A strange but enjoyable track that shows off a surprisingly deep knowledge of modern era boxing from the Rugged Man.

1- EPMD- Underground

"I smoke, an MC well done, he gets done
I'm knockin out whack MC's like Michael Nunn
Full power, one punch crunch, I'm throwin bolos
I'm strapped heavy, my handguns that's solo"

I love jazz/funk influenced backings, and this minimal number is a great canvas EPMD's complex internal rhyme schemes and wandering subject matter.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

My top 5 boxing references in hip hop Empty Re: My top 5 boxing references in hip hop

Post by bhb001 on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 7:20 am

No grand master flash and the furious five? - "Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight"

bhb001

Back to top Go down

My top 5 boxing references in hip hop Empty Re: My top 5 boxing references in hip hop

Post by huw on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 8:51 am

British rap group Phi Life Cypher were massive boxing fans.

Did an entire song about Mike Tyson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzTyZX7VUhc

This was Life MC alone (one of Phi Life) with the most amount of boxing ref's in one song surely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS3JwvtxJgs

They were very underrated and Life MC seemed to have a rhyme about anything. At their live shows they would get the crowd to shout out subjects and they would freestyle for 2-3 minutes without any pauses. Good production but not the right delivery and subject matter didn't fit with the expectations for todays rappers meaning they would never get any proper airplay. Talented lyricists though.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 2:40 pm

bhb001 wrote:No grand master flash and the furious five? - "Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight"

Tough omissions, I also had to exclude Spoonie Gee's 'Mighty Mike Tyson'. I had actually never heard of Phi Life Cypher Huw, but thanks for chucking them in the mix and I will definitely check them out, not every day you find hip hop straight out of Luton!

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by huw on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 3:15 pm

sittingringside wrote:
bhb001 wrote:No grand master flash and the furious five? - "Can't even see the game or the Sugar Ray fight"

Tough omissions, I also had to exclude Spoonie Gee's 'Mighty Mike Tyson'. I had actually never heard of Phi Life Cypher Huw, but thanks for chucking them in the mix and I will definitely check them out, not every day you find hip hop straight out of Luton!

thumbsup

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER on Mon 14 Nov 2016, 4:49 pm

Its got to be CAN-I-BUS with 2nd round knock out feat Mike Tyson

LL COOL J diss track

I'm a let the world know the truth
you dont want me to shine,you studied my rhyme, then you laid your vocals on the line
thats a bitch move
somethin a homo rapper would do
so when you say you gone platinum
you only dropping clues

i

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum