The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Has King Kenny lost it?

+12
Davie
Soldier_Of_Fortune
dublfcynwa
packofwolves
Kay Fabe
braveheart101
AberdeenSteve
Young_Towzer
sodhat
ADMIN
Crimey
JDandfries
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Has King Kenny lost it? - Page 2 Empty Has King Kenny lost it?

Post by JDandfries Mon 6 Jun - 22:57

First topic message reminder :

First £35 Million for a 21 year old who can only manage 20 games a season, now if reports are to be believed, £19 million for a Sunderland reserve??

What is going on, is this man safe to be spending NESV money???

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Has King Kenny lost it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Has King Kenny lost it?

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Jun - 0:41

JDandfries wrote:First £35 Million for a 21 year old who can only manage 20 games a season, now if reports are to be believed, £19 million for a Sunderland reserve??

What is going on, is this man safe to be spending NESV money???
Why are you so interested in what Kenny is spending at Liverpool, as a Boro fan you should be more concerned with what Strachan spent and what Mowbray is spending

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 0:52

It doesn't matter who or when he scored them does it??

As I said above, the two goals against Man U were on his full debut!! - he may have been signed in janury but he didnt play in the league til february against Fulham (sub)

I aint arguing about the two, cos on current evidence, Suarez looks alot better, all I am saying is, don't jump the gun, see how he does next year, becuase Alves looked great in his first 10 games, and even the Racing Post tipped him as top goalscorer (centre page spread) - personally I think he will get 15+ league goals - but don't judge too soon!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun - 0:54

I think 15 goals would be a good amount for him considering he won't be our out and out striker.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 0:56

Braveheart, the perception that as I am a boro fan and therefore I cannot comment on anything other than them is quite frankly wrong.

Yes I am a boro fan, but I am also a football fan, and my childhood was littered with memories of teh great Liverpool teams, which Dalglish was a big part of, so hence my interest in this spending spree and football as a whole!

No other reason than I think he has spent poorley - but hey, who am I to hold an opinion that differs from yours!!

incidently, I think Fergie has spent poorly on the guy from Blackburn

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 0:58

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:I think 15 goals would be a good amount for him considering he won't be our out and out striker.

Yes it will be, 15+ league goals is good for any player, but i do think you will find him playing up top with carrol, especially if Kenny signs a winger or two, which it looks like he will!

I know I am biased, but despite what you might think, Stewart Downing would be ideal, great deliverer of a cross!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun - 0:58

What would you have done in Dalglish's shoes fries? Realistically of course.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 1:10

JDandfries wrote:It doesn't matter who or when he scored them does it??

As I said above, the two goals against Man U were on his full debut!! - he may have been signed in janury but he didnt play in the league til february against Fulham (sub)

I aint arguing about the two, cos on current evidence, Suarez looks alot better, all I am saying is, don't jump the gun, see how he does next year, becuase Alves looked great in his first 10 games, and even the Racing Post tipped him as top goalscorer (centre page spread) - personally I think he will get 15+ league goals - but don't judge too soon!

Obviously it matters if he scored them Laugh

Suarez scored on his debut and he only had 20 mins thumbsup

At the end of the day if we done a poll on whose better Suarez or Afonso, think you'll be the one with egg on your face.

Also any idiot with half of football brain can see he is a quality player.

Last edited by Soldier_Of_Fortune on Fri 10 Jun - 1:54; edited 2 times in total

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 1:17

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
JDandfries wrote:It doesn't matter who or when he scored them does it??

Obviously it matters if he scored them Laugh

Suarez scored on his debut and he only had 20 mins thumbsup

At the end of the day if we done a poll on whose better Suarez or Afonso, think you'll be the one with egg on your face.

Also any idiot with half of football brain can see he is a quality player.

------------------

Please can you point out where I have suggested that Alves is better than Suarez??? Doh 🤦

All I have done, is said don't get carried away just yet, YES he has started good, but so did Alves, THAT quite SIMPLY is my point, Comprende? mad

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 1:24

Invincible.....

If I were KK.

Well, it is clear that Liverpool need to improve alot,

a) to catch up with the top 4 (where LFC shoudl be)
b) to then challenge.

Now, he has spent £90m (there or there abouts), personally, I think Suarez looks a good buy (at the moment). So at present I can't fault that one, but in all honesty, I am not sure how much Kenny had to do with it, rumours are that he was a signing in January regardless.

Whoever made the decision to sell Torres, needs applauding, Torres is either finished at teh top level, or just didnt want to play for LFC - who knows - but he wasnt performing.

Andy Carrol, well I aint a fan, I can see why he bought him, young, English, and he puts himself about, but is he any better than, Crouch, Bent or Defoe, no IMO he isn't as good - but again time will tell.

Ditto Henderson - time will tell.

Personally I would have bought Jermaine Defoe, I would also buy Stewart Downing, but for me, I think it is at the back Liverpool need strengthening, Carragher is finished, Johnson, is a liability, as is Skrtel and Agger is always injured.

Now LFC have the best Goallie in the league, and IMO need an almost brand new back 4, so that is where I would have started, after buying Defoe!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 1:53

JDandfries wrote:Please can you point out where I have suggested that Alves is better than Suarez???

All I have done, is said don't get carried away just yet, YES he has started good, but so did Alves, THAT quite SIMPLY is my point, Comprende?

Never said you did, lets clear this up:

Alves never had a good start. He didnt score a league goal until April and then he scored 5 of his goals in two games. 3 against a Man City team up shipped 8 against.

If you admit that Suarez is better, why still the comperison?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 2:20

JDandfries wrote:Please can you point out where I have suggested that Alves is better than Suarez???

All I have done, is said don't get carried away just yet, YES he has started good, but so did Alves, THAT quite SIMPLY is my point, Comprende?

Alves never had a good start. He didnt score a league goal until April and then he scored 5 of his goals in two games. 3 against a Man City team up shipped 8 against.

Dear oh dear - are u totaly numb???

Alves did have a good start, We bought him in January, he played reserve and few cup games to get used to the team etc, and on his full league DEBUT (that is his first start in the league for the less coherent amongst us) he scored 2 against Man U, I watched him every week, he looked great, he scored 6 league goals in 11 games - those are the facts.

This is not an arguement who is better, PLEASE READ AND INWARDLY DIGESTS......

I am not saying ALves is better than Suarez, I am merely saying they have a lot of similarities, and that it would be naive to laud him as the next messiah after a handful of games!

Especially as biting a opposition player, carries a 20 match ban in the PL

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Jun - 2:24

JDandfries wrote:Braveheart, the perception that as I am a boro fan and therefore I cannot comment on anything other than them is quite frankly wrong.

Yes I am a boro fan, but I am also a football fan, and my childhood was littered with memories of teh great Liverpool teams, which Dalglish was a big part of, so hence my interest in this spending spree and football as a whole!

No other reason than I think he has spent poorley - but hey, who am I to hold an opinion that differs from yours!!

incidently, I think Fergie has spent poorly on the guy from Blackburn
Of course you are entitled to your opinion and yes I agree Kenny paid too much for Carroll and Henderson but my point is that if it wasnt for Chelsea and Man City having a bottomless pit of money to spend then they would have both cost about half of what they did.
As for Liverpool having to get a whole new back four i have to disagree, after Kenny took over Liverpool had one of the best defensive records in the League and that was taking into account they had to play 2 'kids' in Flanagan and Robinson. Fair enough i would get a new left back and also get rid of Kyriagos and Konchesky but the rest of the defence looks solid enough.
More importantly we need 2 wingers and another quality striker.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 2:30

JDandfries wrote:

Alves did have a good start, We bought him in January, he played reserve and few cup games to get used to the team etc, and on his full league DEBUT (that is his first start in the league for the less coherent amongst us) he scored 2 against Man U, I watched him every week, he looked great, he scored 6 league goals in 11 games - those are the facts.

I am not saying ALves is better than Suarez, I am merely saying they have a lot of similarities, and that it would be naive to laud him as the next messiah after a handful of games!

Lets clear this up.

ALVES DIDNT SCORE IN THE LEAGUE UNTIL APRIL!!!!! HOW IS THAT A GOOD START?!?

There are no similitries between Alves and Suarez. Period. Not even same type of player.

Unless your saying there both South American.

Not the messiah, but he was a very naughty boy when he bit that player Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 2:45

JDandfries wrote:

Lets clear this up.

There are no similitries between Alves and Suarez. Period. Not even same type of player.

This has got to be a wind up, surely you are not really this dumb!! 🤦

PLEASE READ!!!

HE MADE HIS DEBUT IN APRIL!!! AND SCORED TWICE, he played 11 games and scored 6!!

I would say that is pretty good!!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 3:04

JDandfries wrote:
JDandfries wrote:

Lets clear this up.

This has got to be a wind up, surely you are not really this dumb!! 🤦

PLEASE READ!!!

HE MADE HIS DEBUT IN APRIL!!! AND SCORED TWICE, he played 11 games and scored 6!!

I would say that is pretty good!!

🤦

- He made his debut on 9 February, against Fulham
- His first Middlesbrough start came on 27 February in an FA Cup

ERM nope not April

Well you do support Middlesborough so the explains a little.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Jun - 3:16

JDandfries wrote:Alves did have a good start, We bought him in January, he played reserve and few cup games to get used to the team etc, and on his full league DEBUT (that is his first start in the league for the less coherent amongst us) he scored 2 against Man U, I watched him every week, he looked great, he scored 6 league goals in 11 games - those are the facts.
Is that true JD, Alves made his league debut on Feb 9th as a sub and his first start was on Feb 27th in the FA Cup. 2 months seems a long time for Boro's record signing to make his first league start.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by ADMIN Fri 10 Jun - 3:19

Fellas, happy for the banter to continue as long as it remains that way, keep it from dragging down though to personal attacks.

ADMIN
Founder
Founder

https://www.606v2.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 19:51

It is hard not to get frustrated when people do not read what you write!!

I clearly said FULL LEAGUE DEBUT!! ie he started.

but to explain the delay.

Alves had not played for about three months prior to signing for us, he wasn't fit, didn't speak the language and was about to play in a totally new league, I think it was wise to hold him back, it certainly seemed to be after how he started!

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 20:15

JDandfries wrote:
Alves had not played for about three months prior to signing for us, he wasn't fit, didn't speak the language and was about to play in a totally new league, I think it was wise to hold him back, it certainly seemed to be after how he started!

Where is he playing again, UAE? Where are Middlesborough again, oh yer in the Championship. Very wise to hold him back laughing

Full league debut, after about 12 league sub appearances where he had ample opportunities to score!

special.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 20:30

Seriously what are you taling about!!

What difference does it make who he scored against or when??

You go on and on and on about his first goal coming in April, well Andy carroll's first goal came at the end of March - 6 weeks after his debut.

And as I said Alves played 11 games and scored 6 goals - he missed games through injury, same as Carroll - please WHAT IS YOUR POINT!

Ill ask again what is you point?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 20:32

there is only one person special here Soldier

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Fri 10 Jun - 20:33

The Suarez is about 5 times the player Alves will ever be and they not alike as players. Thats my point.

+ that Suarez will not fail.

A thankyou. My last post in this thread!

Bye

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Fri 10 Jun - 20:33

JD - read your private messages Wink

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Jun - 20:50

JDandfries wrote:
Alves had not played for about three months prior to signing for us, he wasn't fit, !
Whats the difference between him and Andy Carroll then. ABSOLUTELY NONE

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 20:54

braveheart101 wrote:
JDandfries wrote:
Alves had not played for about three months prior to signing for us, he wasn't fit, !

NONE - that was my point to Soldier - I was saying that Alves scored 6 in 11 games, which he did, he was saying that he didnt score to April but was signed January, which is true, but that is similar to Carrol who had a period off through injury after signing

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Fri 10 Jun - 21:01

JDandfries wrote:
braveheart101 wrote:
JDandfries wrote:

NONE - that was my point to Soldier - I was saying that Alves scored 6 in 11 games, which he did, he was saying that he didnt score to April but was signed January, which is true, but that is similar to Carrol who had a period off through injury after signing
The bit you are missing out though is that Alves scored 10 in 42 games for Boro at least Carroll and Suarez have got the time to do alot better than that.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Fri 10 Jun - 21:16

The whole point I was making, and the reason I was using Alves as a comparison, is that despite Alves starting well, he failed.

Thus I compared him to Suarez, who has started well, and was saying don't get too carried away! Because they could also flop like Alves did!

So don't judge them yet, judge them at the end of next season

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Fri 10 Jun - 23:16

Guys, I think you're missing the point that JD is making, he isn't trying to wind anybody up, simply to start a debate, and ask questions. So try and debate rather than just shooting him down without actually giving a reason.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 11 Jun - 0:26

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Guys, I think you're missing the point that JD is making, he isn't trying to wind anybody up, simply to start a debate, and ask questions. So try and debate rather than just shooting him down without actually giving a reason.

He is comparing the ability of Alves to Suarez which is a joke.

He's telling me not to get my hopes up about Suarez next season as Alves was cack in his second when they are not even the same class of player.

Thats my reason. Is that ok with you?

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun - 0:30

He's didn't compare the ability. That's the point Soldier, he was comparing everything but their ability, you chose to compare their ability. He was comparing the similarities of their strong start to the league after joining from Holland. I think it's a fair thing to say not get carried away after only a couple of months in the league.

He wasn't trying to say Suarez and Alves are as good as each other or anything like that.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 11 Jun - 0:56

Well I disagree I feel that he will conitnue his seemingly effortless transition
in the Prem next season. And this because of his ability.

As as Suarez has much more qulaity then Alves, I dont see this being an issue.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by JDandfries Sat 11 Jun - 1:20

Like I have said a few times.....

I thought Alves would do the same, and there was even a centre spead in the Racing Post saying how he would become top scorer the next season..... how wrong me and many others, including some experts were!

That is all I am saying, it IS too early to judge him, after all he has only played 14 games?

JDandfries

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun - 1:33

Remember though, it will be different next season when teams know how to play him much better, that's going to be Luis' real test!

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Sat 11 Jun - 1:37

invincibleILeak (CL-6WF) wrote:Remember though, it will be different next season when teams know how to play him much better, that's going to be Luis' real test!

I like said. It wont be an issue. Quote me on that!

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 11 Jun - 1:38

Liverpool were probably the best team in the league in the final two months of the season, despite their "one-man team" not having Steven Gerrard to rely on - so to judge Kenny Dalgliesh's transfer policy without even having seen how the team will line-up or perform next season is ridculous. Henderson could turn out to be the perfect foil for Gerrard - we don't know. Carroll could score 30 goals in the season. We don't know.

I think he deserves a bit of room to manouvre after the job he's done this year. Especially when you look up the list of players and fees that Rafa Benitez was trading. If things turn out as planned, they could have two players in Carroll and Henderson who will be first team regulars for 15 years! In comparison - Robbie Keane was there for 6 months wasn't it?

MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun - 1:52

Bad comparison

If you believe many parts of the press, Benitez didn't sign Robbie Keane, the board did. That's why he was treated like mud and moved on.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 11 Jun - 1:56

OK, if that's a bad comparison, pick one of the other 24,196 players he signed and sold. Or did the board sign all those too?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun - 2:20

I don't think Benitez ever had any real backing from the board as he took a reasonably good team and set upon destroying it within with alot of rather questionable signings. Morientes, Bellamy, Babbel, Pennant and a host of other players that just didn't fit into how he wanted Liverpool to play.

The Dalglish era is a tough one to predict, to call the end of last season a success is to me, a joke. The problem wasn't the manager, it was in the attitude of the players and that got Hodgson sacked. Ditching Torres was a masterstroke though who was also probably bringing the entire dressing room down just by being in bad form as everyone in that team looked to either him or Gerrard to perform a mini miracle every game.

From the outside looking in, I think Liverpool fans expect marquee names and awesome attacking football - Benitez tried to do that and got it wrong. Dalglish has splashed out last season and made your team look alot better than Hodgson could and to be fair he's eyeing players that will last a good few years to mould a team around.

He still needs to sort out Liverpools defence though... That's the hard bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 11 Jun - 2:39

I'm not a Liverpool fan by the way Smile

I agree, the attitude of the players was awful. But Dalgliesh has solved that, not just by getting rid of Torres, but introducing keen, young, local talent who just want to play the game. Like footballers really should be.

These signings are just an extension of that strategy in my eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun - 2:41

Liverpool's defence has been consistently one of the strongest in the league, and at the end of last season we were one of the strongest defences, despite playing too youngsters in the full back positions.

I'd say left back is a priority, and a good centre back if we can, but hopefully Agger will stay fit this season, and with Carra, Agger, Skrtel and Kelly, who's natural position is centre back, we should be alright. I don't think our defence is as bad as people make out to be honest. Especially with Steve Clarke coaching now, I can see our defence being the strongest in the league.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Sat 11 Jun - 2:48

You want Clichy

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Sat 11 Jun - 2:55

Yeah, I'm not sure on Clichy, but then again I'm not sure on Enrique either, basically the two best options. My gut feeling is that we should go for Clichy as he has a lot more experience at the top and surprisingly will probably be cheaper than Enrique. On the other hand, Clichy isn't happy at Arsenal, so why would he be happy at Liverpool with no European football.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sat 11 Jun - 3:00

ill carry him to anfield if you buy clichy , everytime our defensive line gets breached it's always him who hasn't stepped up early enough OK

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Sat 11 Jun - 6:42

any forward liverpool sign will improve as a player.as they will be learning from one of the greatest ever at playing the role.

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by braveheart101 Sat 11 Jun - 7:16

Electric Demon wrote:I'm not a Liverpool fan by the way Smile

I agree, the attitude of the players was awful. But Dalgliesh has solved that, not just by getting rid of Torres, but introducing keen, young, local talent who just want to play the game. Like footballers really should be.

These signings are just an extension of that strategy in my eyes.
The thing with Dalglish is he is looking long term thats why he has played Shelvey, Robinson, Flanagan, Kelly, Spearing last season(most of which he helped develop when he was in charge of the academy) and bought Suarez, Carroll and Henderson. Thats 8 players 24 and under who could be there for the next 10 years and when you add the likes of Pacheco and Coady Liverpool could have a young settled mainly English squad for years to come.

braveheart101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun - 8:50

I can't believe Kenny is getting all this heat. Isn't Damien Comolli the head of transfer policy at Liverpool?

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Sat 11 Jun - 9:13

surely he has a say in it though? surely?

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun - 9:29

He might do but the whole purpose of Comilli's appointment was talent spotting and squad enhancement.

The same job he held at Arsenal and Spurs. It was widely reported that Dalglish's contract signing revolved around 'having a say on future signings' which he may have to a degree but it would be naive to believe that Kenny alone stamped Henderson's signature.

Back to top Go down

Post by marcellus wallace Sat 11 Jun - 9:38

he probably wanted to sign him but i doubt he has a say about the money involved unless it affects his budget too much. thumbsup although just as a football fan not a liverpool fan.i didnt think he was the right man for the job but he's halfway there i think.

marcellus wallace

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 11 Jun - 9:44

At the end of the day, and I am a Liverpool fan, we need a whole lot more than Jordan Henderson to make waves!

As far as I am concerned we are 20 years too late to be in a position where we make a signing that bears well for the future.

We need it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next