The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

+32
No 7&1/2
beshocked
reallybored
jimbopip
CraigS1874
Nematode
demosthenes
Hazel Sapling
TJ
Tattie Scones RRN
NeilyBroon
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
cakeordeath
munkian
bsando
GLove39
robbo277
Lost In London
RuggerRadge2611
EST
George Carlin
SecretFly
BigGee
MacKnocked-on
IanBru
tigertattie
funnyExiledScot
R!skysports
uncle_nigel
RDW
36 posters

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 7 Empty Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by RDW Mon 28 Nov 2016, 9:19 am

First topic message reminder :

Results

Scotland 22 Australia 23 Sad

Scotland 19 Argentina 16 Yahoo

Scotland 43 Georgia 16 Very Happy

I think the Scotsman summed up our Autumn Series pretty well:

Scotsman wrote:Two wins, one desperately narrow loss that could have ended differently, ten tries, two ranking places gained and all of the above completed with the absence of a host of players who have proved crucial for Scotland in the past, including the two best props in the country. All in, there was much to admire about Scotland’s autumn series

6N fixtures

Scotland V Ireland
France V Scotland

Scotland V Wales

England V Scotand
Scotland V Italy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:13 pm

Not a capital crime Ian no but badly misjudged to think Ireland are a class apart.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 7 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

True Raven wrote:Theres no way in a million years that Scotland and France are better than Wales.  It's like me saying Wales are superior to Australia despite never being able to beat them in years.....................
World Rugby rankings at the moment:

5 WALES 82.55
6 SOUTH AFRICA 81.79
7 SCOTLAND 80.67
8 FRANCE 80.13

In the last 6 Nations, you beat Scotland by 4 points and France by 9 points.

You played at home both times.

"No way in the world..."?

Doesn't seem to be a huge gap between these nations to me. But let's see.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:37 pm

13 February 2016 Principality Stadium, Cardiff 27 – 23 Wales 2016 Six Nations
15 February 2015 BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23 – 26 Wales 2015 Six Nations
15 March 2014 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 51 – 3 Wales 2014 Six Nations
9 March 2013 Murrayfield, Edinburgh 18 – 28 Wales 2013 Six Nations
12 February 2012 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 27 – 13 Wales 2012 Six Nations
12 February 2011 Murrayfield, Edinburgh 6 – 24 Wales 2011 Six Nations
13 February 2010 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 31 – 24 Wales 2010 Six Nations
8 February 2009 Murrayfield, Edinburgh 13 – 26 Wales 2009 Six Nations
9 February 2008 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 30 – 15 Wales 2008 Six Nations

What I should have said George is apart from blind optimism, you cannot state Scotland are a better team than Wales as the head to head records do not show it. A win is a win (no matter how many points in it) and you have to go back ten years for a Scotland win.

Things could change this year and im sure it will be a tough game but I take exception to saying were likely to finish 5th when we are not that bad!

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

True Raven wrote:13 February 2016 Principality Stadium, Cardiff        27 – 23 Wales 2016 Six Nations
15 February 2015 BT Murrayfield Stadium, Edinburgh 23 – 26 Wales 2015 Six Nations
15 March 2014        Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        51 – 3 Wales 2014 Six Nations
9 March 2013        Murrayfield, Edinburgh                18 – 28 Wales 2013 Six Nations
12 February 2012 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        27 – 13 Wales 2012 Six Nations
12 February 2011 Murrayfield, Edinburgh                 6 – 24 Wales 2011 Six Nations
13 February 2010 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        31 – 24 Wales 2010 Six Nations
8 February 2009        Murrayfield, Edinburgh                13 – 26 Wales 2009 Six Nations
9 February 2008        Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        30 – 15 Wales 2008 Six Nations

What I should have said George is apart from blind optimism, you cannot state Scotland are a better team than Wales as the head to head records do not show it.  A win is a win (no matter how many points in it) and you have to go back ten years for a Scotland win.

Things could change this year and im sure it will be a tough game but I take exception to saying were likely to finish 5th when we are not that bad!

These are Scottish boards, Raven. You should know by now that we never brings facts into this.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:41 pm

I think there has been a bit of an over the top reaction about Wales' current abilities - the performance against Australia was bad but on a whole the AIs wasn't nearly as bad as many made out (including a lot of Welsh!)

Wales are gong to be dangerous as always and stand a chance of a 3rd place finish. Like Scotland though you could also see a scenario where they finish 4th or 5th.

We have absolutely no right to 'expect' to beat Wales but feck me I really hope we do. It has been far too long and we've had far too many near misses - we need to get the monkey off our back and I have the confidence that we have the players to do so.

But we've said that many times before...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:41 pm

George Carlin wrote:
True Raven wrote:13 February 2016 Principality Stadium, Cardiff        27 – 23 Wales 2016 Six Nations
15 March 2014        Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        51 – 3 Wales 2014 Six Nations
9 March 2013        Murrayfield, Edinburgh                18 – 28 Wales 2013 Six Nations
12 February 2012 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        27 – 13 Wales 2012 Six Nations
12 February 2011 Murrayfield, Edinburgh                 6 – 24 Wales 2011 Six Nations
13 February 2010 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        31 – 24 Wales 2010 Six Nations
8 February 2009        Murrayfield, Edinburgh                13 – 26 Wales 2009 Six Nations
9 February 2008        Millennium Stadium, Cardiff        30 – 15 Wales 2008 Six Nations

What I should have said George is apart from blind optimism, you cannot state Scotland are a better team than Wales as the head to head records do not show it.  A win is a win (no matter how many points in it) and you have to go back ten years for a Scotland win.

These are Scottish boards, Raven. You should know by now that we never brings facts into this.

Sorry Anyway good luck in the upcoming six nations, im sure it will be a cracking game!

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:29 pm

I said it on another thread. I think if Scotland are going to pull off an upset it will be the first round vs Ireland.

It's hugely important that Scotland believe they can win. Glasgow believe they can win and it shows.

Don't talk up the Irish too much. They are good but not unbeatable.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

First game up is always a little bit of a lottery as the teams find their feet and their form. I would much rather play Ireland first than last, they may well be flying by then. Mind you, so might we!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:37 pm

Exactly. That's why the Welsh have the best game. Game vs Italy to ease themselves into the tournament.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

beshocked wrote:Exactly. That's why the Welsh have the best game. Game vs Italy to ease themselves into the tournament.

Not necessarily - Italy should have most players fully fit and moral will be high at the start of the tournament, especially after the SA win and with a new coach.

You can't really complain about starting off against the weakest team but then again they will probably be at their best for that first game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

Italy also lost to Tonga in their last game of the AIs.

I would say Italy are comfortably the weakest side.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:54 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
beshocked wrote:Exactly. That's why the Welsh have the best game. Game vs Italy to ease themselves into the tournament.

Not necessarily - Italy should have most players fully fit and moral will be high at the start of the tournament, especially after the SA win and with a new coach.

You can't really complain about starting off against the weakest team but then again they will probably be at their best for that first game!

I dread Italy first as we are notoriously slow starters and its away from home.

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Jan 2017, 4:00 pm

Really? Surely England,Ireland,France or Scotland away first up would be harder?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 17 Jan 2017, 4:05 pm

It's interesting (or perhaps not), but Scotland haven't played Italy first up in the Six Nations since the first championship in 2000. As the fixtures are in common trios (i.e. five sets of the same three fixtures, in a different order each year), that means that England haven't played Ireland and Wales haven't played France in Round One since 2000 either.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:05 pm

IanBru wrote:
It's interesting (or perhaps not), but Scotland haven't played Italy first up in the Six Nations since the first championship in 2000. As the fixtures are in common trios (i.e. five sets of the same three fixtures, in a different order each year), that means that England haven't played Ireland and Wales haven't played France in Round One since 2000 either.

its because the muppets that do the schedule have no clue about things!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:12 pm

IanBru wrote:

That went well.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 17 Jan 2017, 5:16 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
IanBru wrote:

That went well.....

Trip down memory lane, here's the Scotland squad that day (Mattie Stewart aside, it's actually a pretty handy side. How on earth did they lose so badly!!?):

Scotland: G Metcalfe (Glasgow); S Longstaff (Glasgow), J Mayer (Bristol), J Leslie (Newcastle, capt), K Logan (Wasps); G Townsend (Brive), B Redpath (Narbonne); T Smith (Brive), G Bulloch (Glasgow), M Stewart (Northampton), S Murray (Saracens), S Grimes (Newcastle), M Leslie (Edinburgh), B Pountney (Northampton), G Simpson (Glasgow).

Replacements: A Nicol (Glasgow), D Hodge (Edinburgh), J McLaren (Bourgoin), D Hilton (Glasgow), R Russell (Saracens), D Weir (Newcastle), S Reid (Narbonne).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Wed 18 Jan 2017, 8:42 am

It really is time for this scotland team to put up or shut up. got closer to a decent series last trime round but still failed to win games they could have and should have. Mind yo the team is a year older and more experienced so maybe we can hope but its well gone time for potential to be realised

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:22 am

Looking forward to this team announcement. I think Bennett might be on a bit of a shoogly peg - Scott is playing very well down in Gloucester and I think somebody said that Jones is fit.

Gilchrist should be nowhere near the squad, Swinson a very clear third (although I have my reservations about how useful he can be at international level), Toolis really should be given the 4th spot.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:28 am

My bold predictions:

Moray low will be included over John Welsh

Gilchrist will be included over Toolis

Matt Scott will still miss out over Huw Jones, despite Jones not having played since the AIs

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:My bold predictions:

Moray low will be included over John Welsh

Gilchrist will be included over Toolis

Matt Scott will still miss out over Huw Jones, despite Jones not having played since the AIs

Sadly, I think those are very likely to materialise.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:08 am

Squad is up

Scotland Autumn series post mortem and 6N look ahead - Page 7 C2cd83EWQAAqEk-

https://twitter.com/Scotlandteam?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:09 am

Magnus Bradbury the shock omission for CDP - completely unjustified based on form.

Welsh, Toolis and Matt Scott are there!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:11 am

Incredible that Taylor has barely played in the last 6 months and is yet in the Scotland squad again.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:12 am

beshocked wrote:Incredible that Taylor has barely played in the last 6 months and is yet in the Scotland squad again.

To be fair he has basically picked all our front line centres that are fit - there is no one really that could have filled his squad place.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:16 am

Head Coach Vern Cotter today named a 37-man Scotland squad for the forthcoming RBS 6 Nations Championship.

Among the group is 37-times capped Gloucester centre Matt Scott who – after missing out on selection in the autumn – has earned a recall thanks to a number of impressive performances for the Kingsholm club, scoring 12 tries in 18 games this season.

Cotter has also named uncapped Edinburgh Rugby forwards Simon Berghan (prop) and Cornell Du Preez (back-row).

Du Preez (25) is a popular figure in the capital, scoring 14 tries in 71 appearances. He became eligible to represent Scotland last year after completing three years of residency in the country.

Berghan (26) joined Edinburgh Rugby in 2013 and is eligible to represent Scotland through his grandfather, Andrew Davidson, from Stirling. The 20st, 6’3” prop has made 24 appearances for the capital club.

Berghan and returning Newcastle Falcons’ tighthead Jon Welsh are among the seven props named in the squad, with the national team awaiting the results of a scan this evening (Wednesday) that will confirm the availability of Edinburgh Rugby’s Willem Nel, who injured his neck in the club’s European Challenge Cup win over Harlequins on Saturday (14 January).

Scotland Head Coach, Vern Cotter, said: “It’s a well-balanced and exciting group that have played a lot of rugby together, know each other well and are ambitious to do well in a Scotland jersey.

“I think if we get our mind-set right we can be competitive and push for wins in every game in this campaign.”

He added: “When you look down the list of names from Greig Laidlaw as captain, a solid locking group that’s been together for a while, a familiar group of loose forwards who have played consistently well for their clubs, with John Hardie expected to return to fitness shortly.

“The backline gives us a little versatility with Huw Jones able to play several positions, as can Duncan Taylor, Duncan Weir returns alongside Finn [Russell] who’ll be working to run games, with settled back-three options available to us once again.”

Elsewhere in the pack the squad has a very familiar feel, with hookers Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors), Ross Ford and Stuart McInally (both Edinburgh Rugby) named for the third campaign in succession.

Edinburgh Rugby’s in-form lock, Ben Toolis, has been added to the second-row stable, while the addition of Du Preez is the only new face in the back-row.

In the backs, captain Greig Laidlaw (Gloucester), Ali Price and Henry Pyrgos (both Glasgow Warriors) have all been reselected, while Edinburgh Rugby stand-off Duncan Weir joins Glasgow Warriors’ Finn Russell as the stand-off options.

Matt Scott is the only addition named to the centres although, while named, injury prevented Saracens’ Duncan Taylor from featuring in the autumn.

The back-three group of Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors), Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Maitland (Saracens), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) and Tim Visser (Harlequins) is unchanged.

Cotter added: “We now prepare to enter the RBS 6 Nations and face our first opposition, Ireland, at home next month who are now ranked highly in the world, and deservedly so, after wins over New Zealand, Australia and South Africa, so it’s a tough start.

“I think the addition of bonus-points will probably open up the games a little more and I think that’s a good thing. I think we’ll see a little more play and perhaps a few more risks in the game, which is exciting.”

The squad will convene in Edinburgh on Monday (23 January) for a three-day camp at Oriam – Scotland’s sports performance centre – ahead of the national team’s opener against Ireland at BT Murrayfield in just over a fortnight’s time (Saturday 4 February, kick-off 2.25pm) – live on BBC.

SCOTLAND 37-MAN SQUAD FOR 2017 RBS 6 NATIONS

FORWARDS

PROP (7)
Alex Allan (Glasgow Warriors) – 3 caps
Simon Berghan (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
Allan Dell (Edinburgh Rugby) – 3 caps
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 4 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh Rugby) – 15 caps
Gordon Reid (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps
Jon Welsh (Newcastle Falcons) – 11 caps

HOOKER (3)
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
Ross Ford (Edinburgh Rugby) – 102 caps
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh Rugby) – 9 caps

LOCK (5)
Jonny Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 28 caps
Richie Gray (Toulouse) – 60 caps
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby) – 15 caps
Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh Rugby) – 1 cap

BACK-ROW (7)
John Barclay (Scarlets) – 55 caps
Cornell Du Preez (Edinburgh Rugby) – uncapped
John Hardie (Edinburgh Rugby) – 13 caps
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps
Josh Strauss (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh Rugby) – 5 caps
Ryan Wilson (Glasgow Warriors) – 23 caps

BACKS

SCRUM-HALF (3)
Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN (Gloucester) – 56 caps
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 1 cap
Henry Pyrgos (Glasgow Warriors) – 18 caps

STAND-OFF (2)
Finn Russell (Glasgow Warriors) – 22 caps
Duncan Weir (Edinburgh Rugby) – 23 caps

CENTRE (5)
Mark Bennett (Glasgow Warriors) – 17 caps
Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors) – 19 caps
Huw Jones (Stormers) – 3 caps
Matt Scott (Gloucester) – 36 caps
Duncan Taylor (Saracens) – 18 caps

BACK-THREE (5)
Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors) – 48 caps
Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh Rugby) – 2 caps
Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 26 caps
Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors) – 31 caps
Tim Visser (Harlequins) – 28 caps

Not currently considered through injury: David Denton (hamstring, Bath Rugby), Alasdair Dickinson (foot, Edinburgh Rugby), Pete Horne (ankle, Glasgow Warriors), Rory Hughes (knee, Glasgow Warriors), Rory Sutherland (groin, Edinburgh Rugby).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:28 am

awaiting a scan on Nel who seems to have re-injured his neck? Absolute dull one!

Get well soon Willem
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:30 am

I might be missing something, but beyond Bradbury's exclusion, I'm delighted with the squad. For the first time in ages, I have no complaints. I have got a feeling I'm (we're) going to miss Cotter.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:50 am

nickj wrote:I might be missing something, but beyond Bradbury's exclusion, I'm delighted with the squad. For the first time in ages, I have no complaints. I have got a feeling I'm (we're) going to miss Cotter.

Tend to agree. It is very harsh on Bradbury but our backrow depth is very strong and he probably wouldn't have made the 23 for the first game anyway given VC's usual preferences.

His time will come though - he's a very exciting prospect and this will hopefully spur him on even more.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

Not a bad squad considering recent injuries, although I feel Nel won't be anywhere near the match day 23.

Weir is just sh!te and Bradbury is massively unlucky as I think he played really well in the Autumn.

Against Ireland, we need tough barstewards in the pack to counter their aggression. Glasgow showed it can be done last weekend against Munster.

My 23 would be:

15 - Hogg
14 - Seymour
13 - Scott
12 - Dunbar
11 - Maitland
10 - Russell
9 - Laidlaw

8 - Wilson (reluctantly)
7 - Barclay
6 - Strauss
5 - Gray
4 - Gray
3 - Fagerson
2 - Brown
1 - Dell

16 - Ford
17 - Allan
18 - Welsh
19 - Toolis/Swinson (can't make mind up)
20 - CDP
21 - Price
22 - Jones
23 - Visser

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 10:57 am

Well I can't say that there is to much wrong with that squad either, the only controversy seems to be the omission of Bradbury for CDP, who we have all been asking to get capped for some time. It is a little bit hard on Bradbury I agree, who made a very good debut, but his time will surely come.

Pretty much all the others, who we wanted to be there on form, Scott, Toolis, Welsh are all there. It looks a very comprehensive squad, with the only slight worry, the injury to Nel.

It is hard to see Toolis or Bergham getting any game time unless we are over run with injuries but at least they are in the squad and can make their case and maybe will get their opportunity in the summer. There does seem to be genuine competition across the board which can only be a good thing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:05 am

I can see CDP getting his first cap off the bench against Ireland. His form does seem to be picking up a bit now and he has been starting for Edinburgh in the past few games.

He is a potential game changer that could come off the bench and do something different. Strauss, who should be starting at N0.8 on form, is not an 80 minute player and will fade.

The back row, with lots of good players, on form, will surely be the hardest picks of them all.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

It's a good squad. Agree with NickJ that Bradbury's exclusion for Du Preez is nothing to do with form, but alternatively I can see why Cotter wants to involve Du Preez in the squad. We know what he's capable of, and I'm sure Cotter wants to take a closer look. Bradbury's time will come.

The other youngster with a case would be Blair Kinghorn, perhaps over Hoyland, but I don't think either would get into the 23, so fine with that ultimately. Again, Kinghorn's time will come.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:13 am

Happy to see Scott, Welsh and Toolis all added to the squad.

Bradbury the only omission worth noting which makes a change. Unlucky with the poor form of CDP and Hardie's injuries.

The only other question would be Berghan vs Rae and Low for the 4th tighthead spot. I think Rae has been good when he has played and Berghan has spent this season largely injured (even if I do think Berghan could be a beast). Hopefully Nel is fit and the 4th is for training camps.

Will Sutherland or Dickinson make it back during the 6 nations? I thought Sutherland is a probable no but Dickinson may be back for the last couple.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:15 am

This is what I would throw at Ireland:

1.Dell 2.Brown 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Barclay 7.Hardie 8.Strauss 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Dunbar 13.Jones 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Fagerson 17.Ford 18.Reid 19.Swinson 20.Du Preez 21.Pyrgos 22.Weir 23.Bennett

Ireland play with pace and intensity, which is why I've opted for Dell, Brown and Barclay in my pack. All very handy options in the loose. The backline is pretty straightforward.

My assumption in all of this is that the squad named are all fully fit for the first game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:17 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:This is what I would throw at Ireland:

1.Dell 2.Brown 3.Nel 4.J Gray 5.R Gray 6.Barclay 7.Hardie 8.Strauss 9.Laidlaw 10.Russell 11.Seymour 12.Dunbar 13.Jones 14.Maitland 15.Hogg

16.Fagerson 17.Ford 18.Reid 19.Swinson 20.Du Preez 21.Pyrgos 22.Weir 23.Bennett

Ireland play with pace and intensity, which is why I've opted for Dell, Brown and Barclay in my pack. All very handy options in the loose. The backline is pretty straightforward.

My assumption in all of this is that the squad named are all fully fit for the first game.

My only concern with that is that Hardie and Jones will be playing their first games back after months out injured - hardly ideal to be thrown straight back in to a 6N game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:21 am

As I said, my assumption is that the squad is fit and ready.

If you were to remove those two, I would select Watson at 7, Bennett at 13 and place Matt Scott on the bench (Bennett covering the back three if needed).

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:24 am

This comment from Cotter was interesting:
"...alongside Finn [Russell] who’ll be working to run games"

Do we think this is part of a conscious effort to shift some of the responsibility and decision making from Laidlaw at 9 to Russell at 10? If so, I'd welcome that. Does make me wonder if past season's focus on Laidlaw has been partly because Cotter hasn't trusted Russell's game management ability until now?

Maybe reading too much into a single quote, but interesting none the less...

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:26 am

If VC decides that Hogg will back up the FH spot, then VC may go for a 6 and 2 split on the bench. Jones, Bennett and Taylor are all versatile to cover centre and wing and Maitland could cover FB.

That match is likely to be won or lost up front, so it might make sense to have CDP and Watson to come off the bench!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:28 am

I don't think there is much between Hardie and Watson right now and given that Hardie has been injured I'd have Watson starting at 7. Give Hardie a couple of games for Edinburgh and if he's firing on all cylinders, rotate him and Watson.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:30 am

I'm going to miss Cotter.  This is a fairly sensible squad, he's largely picked on form or in some cases players who played well for us last time out and not played much since due to injury.  Either way it's probably the strongest squad available.

Obviously there is the Bradbury question and personally I think he deserves to be there ahead of CDP, but I guess there is nothing stopping him being called up for one of the other games.

Assuming everyone is fit this is the team I'd like to see against Ireland

1. Dell
2. Ford (Brown to replace him after an hour or so)
3. Nel
4. Gray
5. Gray
6. Barclay
7. Watson
8. Strauss
9. Laidlaw (Price could play a part, to inject some pace)
10. Russell (if anything happens to him then a traffic cone, move laidlaw to 10 and bring Price on at 9.  Really anyone but Weir)
11. Seymour
12. Dunbar
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Hogg

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:33 am

tigertattie wrote:I don't think there is much between Hardie and Watson right now and given that Hardie has been injured I'd have Watson starting at 7. Give Hardie a couple of games for Edinburgh and if he's firing on all cylinders, rotate him and Watson.

It would be re-assuring to see Hardie playing this weekend. Unfortunately Jones and Taylor are not going to get the chance.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:34 am

Manky-Flanker wrote:This comment from Cotter was interesting:
"...alongside Finn [Russell] who’ll be working to run games"

Do we think this is part of a conscious effort to shift some of the responsibility and decision making from Laidlaw at 9 to Russell at 10? If so, I'd welcome that. Does make me wonder if past season's focus on Laidlaw has been partly because Cotter hasn't trusted Russell's game management ability until now?

Maybe reading too much into a single quote,  but interesting none the less...

Well given what happened against Munster is that the best idea?? Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:35 am

Well, i'm pretty happy with that - aside from Bradbury, who can count himself somewhat unlucky. Perhaps Big Vern wants to see more of the spade work from his 6 - hit some more rucks etc, instead of just the big barnstorming runs. I am glad CDP has been showing some more form, he could be a huge player for us, and the missing link we have been needing at 8.

All going well, something like this for the opener against Ireland:

Dell
Ford
Nel
Gray
Gray
Barclay
Hardie
Strauss
Laidlaw (c)
Russell
Seymour
Dunbar
Jones
Maitland
Hogg

Allan
Brown
Fagerson
Swinson
Du Preez
Price
Weir
Taylor

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:38 am

As RDW rightly pointed out. You simply cannot start players who have hardly played the last few months because of injury. This is especially true against Ireland. If it was Italy, then perhaps, but you need match fit players who have played regularly the last few months...especially European rugby which is the next step down from international.

Jones, Hardie and Nel aren't ready to face Ireland.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

To add....

Another round of high intensity games this weekend (especially Glasgow), so anything could happen with regards to injuries.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:40 am

OK on a slightly different focus here is who I think VC will pick:

1 Dell
2 Ford
3 Fagerson
4 Gray
5 Gray
6 Barclay
7 Watson
8 Strauss

9 Laidlaw
10 Russell
11 Seymour
12 Dunbar
13 Scott (although this is a difficult one to call - it could easily be Jones or Bennett)
14 Maitland
15 Hogg

Subs - Reid, Brown, Welsh, Swinson, Wilson, Price, Weir, Bennett/Jones

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

BigGee wrote:If VC decides that Hogg will back up the FH spot, then VC may go for a 6 and 2 split on the bench. Jones, Bennett and Taylor are all versatile to cover centre and wing and Maitland could cover FB.

That match is likely to be won or lost up front, so it might make sense to have CDP and Watson to come off the bench!

That is an option BigGee and one I hadn't considered, Weir really does add very little to the party and Hogg looked quite composed against the Italian outfit. Depends if VC fancies taking a risk I suppose, my guess is that he will go with 5/3 split, but I see an awful lot of benefit of having Du Preez and Watson on the bench.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:As RDW rightly pointed out. You simply cannot start players who have hardly played the last few months because of injury. This is especially true against Ireland. If it was Italy, then perhaps, but you need match fit players who have played regularly the last few months...especially European rugby which is the next step down from international.

Jones, Hardie and Nel aren't ready to face Ireland.

If we're following logic, and I guess it makes sense, then for my team above, swap Scott for Jones & Nel for Fagerson.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot about Fagerson!)

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 18 Jan 2017, 11:42 am

Great to see Jon Welsh in the squad! Thoroughly deserved as he's been outstanding...and plays equally well on both sides of the pack (LH & TH)

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next