The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Fall.

3 posters

Go down

The Fall. Empty The Fall.

Post by Guest Tue 13 Dec 2016, 1:41 pm

Have had a sneaky liking for this group (not a band) for a while-though not a hardcore fan, over the years I have picked up "Dragnet", "This Nation's Saving Grace" ,"The Weird and Frightening World", "Shiftwork", "The Infotainment Scan", and "County on the Click /Your Future Our Clutter".
I am never quite sure whether they are a tad over-rated, but something keeps pulling me back and theire songs do reveal many layers with repeated listening.
Any other suggestions of good quality Fall albums to purchase? Cheers.

Back to top Go down

The Fall. Empty Re: The Fall.

Post by Rowley Fri 16 Dec 2016, 6:24 pm

I like The Fall Andy, like you I properly could not describe myself as a hardcore fan but whenever I listen them I always tell myself I should listen to them more and buy more of their stuff but never tend to get round to it. I like Mark E Smith as well, like that uniquely Northern belligerence he has about him.

In terms of their albums if you want their most "Fall-y" album it's probably Hex Education Hour, not the easiest listen though but I quite enjoy it, the Frenz Experiment is good as well and whilst using the word accessible is never quite appropriate with the Fall this is about as accessible as they get.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Dec 2016, 4:17 pm

Here's a link
http://thequietus.com/articles/05559-this-nations-saving-grace-the-fall

I read Brix Smith-Start's autobiography, and she informs that she had input into quite a few of the songs I rate, including the Valley of the Dolls quote " This is my happening ,and it's freaking me out". The b-movie references were all Brix apparently and I wonder if the group suffered as a result of losing her.
As an aside, she lifts the lid on his drinking and generally awful behaviour which should come as no surprise to anyone.

Never been a massive New Order fan but Peter Hooks' "substance" is doing the trick of making me want to hear the lesser known ones, he also roasts Bernard at every opportunity and it's entertaining for being a 400 page slag-off but pretty bemusing at times in how unrelenting it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 08 Jan 2017, 12:34 pm

Have been gifted "Live at the Witchtrials" and was pleasantly surprised. Surely there are more Fall fans here? Would love to see a Top 10 albums post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sun 08 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

I bought a couple more last week Andy. Got Dragnet and Perverted by Language. Both are pretty lo-fi affairs but have not really listened to either of them properly yet. Think I'm going to try and get hold of all the studio albums. Seems a valid use of my time

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 22 Apr 2017, 1:23 pm

okay then ,you all asked for it, here is my Top Ten Fall albums. And if I'm blagging it, no-one will know because a) anyone could justifiably consider any Fall album their best album, and b), no-one will know because they won't have heard the albums in question anyway.So here goes.

1. The Infotainment Scan.
2. This Nation's Saving Grace.
3....Wonderful and Frightening World of
4.Dragnet.
5.Live at the Witch Trials.
6. Grotesque.
7.Code Selfish.
8.Your Future, Our Clutter.
9.The Real New Fall LP (Formerly Country on the Click).
10.Hex Education Hour.

Freely admit that I haven't heard that much of "hex" so am probably rating it way too low.
Also, my number one choice is purely a sentimental one, it has a lame cover of "Lost in Music" but "paranoid man in cheap Poopie room" is worth admission price alone.

Next---top ten Fall songs.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 23 Apr 2017, 10:55 pm

If one of those is from around 1981, then I probably heard it.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 26 Oct 2017, 5:02 pm

I wonder where Rowley is? Miss your input.All the best to you anyway.
Anyway Brix Start-Smiths corking band,Brix and the Extricated,are touring and I recommend seeing them...I have my ticket for next month.

Last edited by andygf on Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 12 Dec 2017, 11:31 pm

I saw Brix and The Extricated recently and thoroughly enjoyed it.The album has a few Fall songs on it

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 09 Jan 2022, 6:18 pm

After a thoroughly rotten 2021, i have decided to listen only to The Fall this year. Starting with the Peel Sessions box set!
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Thu 24 Mar 2022, 1:33 pm

The Unutterable
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content