The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster 2016/2017

+36
Maine man
Golden
Pete330v2
thebandwagonsociety
UlsterinKildare
Pot Hale
Heaf
profitius
BamBam
No 7&1/2
aucklandlaurie
ScarletSpiderman
Seagultaf
The goosey
True Raven
offload
Cyril
LordDowlais
Redman
eirebilly
scrummy
Rory_Gallagher
Don Alfonso
MrsP
Sin é
Kingshu
toml
carpet baboon
neilthom7
rodders
The Great Aukster
marty2086
geoff999rugby
rapidsnowman
clivemcl
SecretFly
40 posters

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next

Go down

Ulster 2016/2017 - Page 12 Empty Ulster 2016/2017

Post by SecretFly Mon 12 Dec 2016, 9:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well the danger is always that life happens and he might refocus his entire life after two years in France.... were he to go.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Ulster 2016/2017 - Page 12 Empty Re: Ulster 2016/2017

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

UlsterinKildare wrote:As usual, most of the Ulster fans on this forum have an over-inflated opinion of Les Kiss. A career assistant coach, who's reputation was entirely made on the back of a great Irish team. Simply not good enough to lead a coaching set-up at provincial level. Limited in his game planning, tactics, talent evaluation and leadership. A decent no. 2, that's about it.

What's crazy is that the people who are lauding Kiss were the same ones who were first to criticise Anscombe. Kiss's teams have had arguably as much,  if not more talent, yet Ulster have regressed during his tenure.

And now apparently, if we believe what's in the media,  he is being given free rein to appoint his own staff. This is going to set Ulster rugby back 5 years. By the time that Logan and the rest realise that it's all gone Pete Tong, we'll have wasted the best years of some of our most talented players. Jackson, Olding, Henderson, Marshall, Stockdale, O'Connor and Co. will spend their Ulster careers in an underperforming environment under the 'leadership' of a coach who is clearly out of his depth.

Just look at recent performances...  Can anyone honestly say that Ulster are even playing to 75% of their potential? Does it look as if it's getting better? Has Kiss improved performances from last season, or the season before?

Doak and Clarke may not be up to the required standard either, but they are convenient scapegoats for another wasted season under Kiss.

I think you're confusing us with the FaceBook crowd.

The criticism of Doak and Clarke isn't new, and looking at Ulster this season you can understand why that criticism has went up a level. Hopefully both will be replaced for next season.

Generally speaking, most have been keeping their powder dry, with regards to Kiss. Now we can say that Ulster have been going backwards since his arrival. I would be happy enough getting rid of all three (Doak, Clarke and Kiss), but doubt very much that Kiss will be leaving. Replacing Doak and Clarke might be enough though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

If Botha can stay fit, he's a good signing.

Cooney is a good player, and can also play 10. Better than Marshall and Shanahan, but not sure I believe he was at the top of Ulster's wish list. I was hoping for Blade, but not complaining.

Have to think that Marshall will be moving on after this season.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

I hope against Bordeaux Bègles we play a team of youngsters, players like Lorcan Dow, David Shanahan, Brett Herron, and younger like Jonny Stewart

Basically do what Leinster did against Bath last year, were Leinster gave Garry Ringrose, Luke McGrath, James Tracy, Tadhg Furlong, Peter Dooley and Ross Molony their first European start, and its held them in good stead.

I'd like us to do similar to build towards next year, no Best, Trimble, Piutau and Henderson, and fill it with players we are hopeing to use next season.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:45 pm

Kiss is talking about Cooney wanting to compete for his jersey, who will he be competing with, surely not Shanahan?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:46 pm

Kingshu wrote:I hope against  Bordeaux Bègles we play a team of youngsters, players like Lorcan Dow, David Shanahan, Brett Herron, and younger like Jonny Stewart

Basically do what Leinster did against Bath last year, were Leinster gave Garry Ringrose, Luke McGrath, James Tracy, Tadhg Furlong, Peter Dooley and Ross Molony their first European start, and its held them in good stead.

I'd like us to do similar to build towards next year, no Best, Trimble, Piutau and Henderson, and fill it with players we are hopeing to use next season.

Are those young guys registered in the European squad?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:50 pm

Ulster have young guys! Shocked

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:54 pm

marty2086 wrote:Kiss is talking about Cooney wanting to compete for his jersey, who will he be competing with, surely not Shanahan?

I think the talk of competing is rubbish. Cooney will start. As things stand, I would think Shanahan should start ahead of Marshall.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:55 pm

Good point John Andrew, Herron, Kane, Lyttle, Matt Rea, Stockdale, David Shanahan and Treadwell all are registered and are all young enough that they should start if fit.
Not sure who's fit or not anymore.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 1:57 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Kiss is talking about Cooney wanting to compete for his jersey, who will he be competing with, surely not Shanahan?

I think the talk of competing is rubbish. Cooney will start. As things stand, I would think Shanahan should start ahead of Marshall.

Marshalls away apparently leaving us with two 9sCooney, Shanahan and possibly Lloyd

If the IRFU had any sense we would be getting a project plus Cooney, giving us genuine competition and actually adding depth to the position for Ireland too in 3 years time

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Marshalls away apparently leaving us with two 9sCooney, Shanahan and possibly Lloyd

If the IRFU had any sense we would be getting a project plus Cooney, giving us genuine competition and actually adding depth to the position for Ireland too in 3 years time

That's the thing - IRFU's stance would lead you to think we didn't have any competition for the international shirt in years ahead. Truth is, there's Murray, Marmion, McGrath, Hart, Blade and in a few years - Gibson-Park. Do Ireland need another option at 9 in three years time?

But yea, are we not also getting Heaney back?

The worrying thing is... judging by Cooney's display for Connacht against Zebre, he would currently walk into the position of backup fly-half at Ulster ahead of Herron. If Jackson was out, we could be playing Shanahan/Heaney with Cooney at 10.

Last edited by clivemcl on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:18 pm

"... sources have told the Belfast Telegraph that Kiss' job is not under threat due to the support he receives from the IRFU."

Hmmm.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ulster-rugby/out-of-europe-eight-defeats-in-the-last-12-games-but-ulster-coach-les-kiss-is-safe-in-his-job-35370977.html

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:23 pm

Also in that article - eight losses in the last twelve games.

Horrendous.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:25 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Forgot about Lloyd, but he's some way off challenging Cooney, I would think. That's if we manage to get him back from Munster. There won't be any project 9's now. Think our next project will be at loosehead.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:27 pm

clivemcl wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

That's the thing - IRFU's stance would lead you to think we didn't have any competition for the international shirt in years ahead. Truth is, there's Murray, Marmion, McGrath, Hart, Blade and in a few years - Gibson-Park. Do Ireland need another option at 9 in three years time?

The worrying thing is... judging by Cooney's display for Connacht against Zebre, he would currently walk into the position of backup fly-half at Ulster ahead of Herron. If Jackson was out, we could be playing Shanahan/Heaney with Cooney at 10.

I hope we aren't getting Heaney back, Id prefer Shanahan and Lloyd as they have more room for improvement and more time for it

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

clivemcl wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Is the Shanahan kid any good?

His main problem in Leinster was that the kid Luke McGrath was the golden child all the way up through schools rugby, jumping up age levels and captaining the younger years cos of his 'experience'. He was an ulster academy lad so doing a degree of some sort on the side, is that still running for another year?

Any '9' coming through the underage ranks at Ulster?

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Forgot about Lloyd, but he's some way off challenging Cooney, I would think. That's if we manage to get him back from Munster. There won't be any project 9's now. Think our next project will be at loosehead.

I know we wont get one but if the IRFU are taking action to create depth at 9 it would be the more logical approach if they got someone of greater quality than Cooney who could push for an Ireland place in a few years

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

The last thing we need right now is yet another change of coach like some billionaire owned footy team. Kiss' tenure has been anything but uplifting. His first half season was just that, a half season. This season he's had to try and run a coaching team where his two right hand men barely communicate let alone get along. He was brought in at Ulster with the coaching foundations so rocky that no other coach would come near the place. Lets hope the rot that is Doak and Clarke can be turfed out and next season we could have a functioning coaching setup that would allow for Kiss to make his mark. As has been said on here already, look at the help that was handed to Leinster and the difference it's made. Could we not be afforded something similar in our time of need ?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

Like a lot of fans I am starting to think of next season (and this shouldn't be the case of a team like Ulster).

Unlike the post above I still have faith in Kiss, and think when he has his own coaching ticket it will come good.
A team like

Black, Best, Herbst
Henderson, Treadwell
Coetzee, Botha, Henry
Cooney, Jackson
Piutau, McCloskey, Marshall, Trimble
Payne

Also adding Copeland and hopefully a few others will leave us good, but there isn't time to build, its next season for silverware or we can forgot it for 3-4 years. Kiss's new coaching team will have to hit the ground running.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:41 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

I know we wont get one but if the IRFU are taking action to create depth at 9 it would be the more logical approach if they got someone of greater quality than Cooney who could push for an Ireland place in a few years

I agree, and if Pienaar had been allowed to stay, it wouldn't be a concern.

Still, with Cooney on board, a couple of good forwards added and hopefully Doak and Clarke replaced, things are looking better for next season.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

Yeah if we can get someone in to fill the void until Ruan takes over and Johann comes back too Whistle

We are starting to sound like Liverpool fans though, next year will be our year

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:47 pm

marty2086 wrote:Yeah if we can get someone in to fill the void until Ruan takes over and Johann comes back too Whistle

True, and it's the hope that kills Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 2:52 pm

Munchkin wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Yeah if we can get someone in to fill the void until Ruan takes over and Johann comes back too Whistle

True, and it's the hope that kills Sad

I always thought Liverpool fans said that they were starting to sound like Ulster fans Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 16 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Cooney is an OK signing as is Botha but both are injury prone. If small parcel moves on then Ulster will have to replace him as well, so maybe Heaney will be coming home - that might be who Cooney thinks he will be competing against rather than Shanahan / Lloyd / Stewart.

Regarding Kiss as coach - he doesn't have the forwards to set up the game.
Ever since Johann Muller was forced to play in the HEC final with one good arm, it was obvious Ulster didn't have the quality in depth. Consider the prop merry-go-round in recent years:
BJ Botha replaced Simon Best who had to retire early, and then himself was replaced by Afoa due to the IRFU regs - three experienced Test players.
Declan Fitzpatrick was hardly ever fit and had to retire - so did Alan Whitten. Jerry Cronin, Adam Macklin and Dave Ryan were at best journeymen. Currently Ah You and Herbst are not Test class, but better than Lutton, and the inexperienced Simpson and Kane.
At LH Tom Court replaced the experienced Bryan Young and had the promising Paddy McAllister in reserve. First it was Daniel Roach and then Paddy's replacement Ruaidhri Murphy who didn't feature (at least on the pitch), leaving the journeyman Black and the inexperienced McCall and Warwick. The drop off in resources is sharp and stark.

The backrow is the least resourced and highest turnover. Ever since Pollock and then Ferris had to give up there has been little consistency or class. Ulster tried to recruit Xavier Rush (after his sell by date) and thankfully he changed his mind because Ulster got Wannenburg instead - but he had to leave after two years under IRFU regs. Ulster had another stroke of luck with the signing of a declining Nick Williams and rejuvenated his career, but around him Wilson was at the wrong end of his career, Henry had his injury issues and Diack (like Wilson) lacks top class. The faith put in guys like McComish, Faloon, Birch and Anderson was fruitless, and guys like Butterworth and Ross brought in seemingly on hope rather than expectation. There are high hopes for Coetzee (if he ever gets fit), but there are slim pickings elsewhere judging on quality.

Kiss inherited the coaching structure because Humphreys dropped everyone in it, but he knew he would only have to endure it for a season and a half before getting a chance to get his own team in. The Irish provinces only ever seem to recruit either unproven or failed foreign coaches (Solomons excepted) so it will be interesting to see who Kiss brings in. The time Kiss should be judged is at the end of 2018 as that will have been enough time to get the players he needs and get them playing the way he wants.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 16 Jan 2017, 3:48 pm

You know what is rather puzzling. The most of our forwards, if you pick their name out one at a time and say 'how have they been performing' I tend to be thinking positively about most players. Players like Reidy, Browne, Treadwell, Kane. Maybe not world beaters but all have performed better than most expected of them. So it's more glaringly obvious that the issue boils down to coaching and tactics and game plan.

Next year we will have backrow options of Coetzee, Arno, Reidy, Henry, Henderson... and no Pienaar to benefit from it...

Don't forget, Henry was missing for a large chunk, Coetzee been absent, so Pienaar has had most of this season working with Clive Ross and Roger Wilson.

If Coetzee and Henry had been fully available, our season could have been looking a little different at this point.

Sadly, extremely doubtful Pienaar will see any silverware with us. And may be an even bitter pill to swallow next year if he sees a backrow with a fit Coetzee and Arno dominating breakdowns. Sad

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 3:52 pm

Our form seemed to really turn when Henry came back, should we be starting a Henry out campaign?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 4:01 pm

We've not had any consistent team selections this season. There just hasn't been a period where injury or international duty haven't thrown their spanners into the works. Selecting a settled side can be difficult enough with squad rotation alone but add the injury list, the demands from Dublin and the toxic environment created by Doak and Clarke and it's utterly impossible. A settled coaching ticket along with a human sacrifice to the god of injuries and we would absolutely see a different Ulster.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 16 Jan 2017, 4:33 pm

I don't think it is anything to do with which players are available.

Leinster, Munster. Connacht are able to produce results and performances regardless of who they pick because the are well coached.

By contrast we are clueless no matter who we play - Piatau. McCloskey or Pienaar might get us out of jail with a bit of magic now and again but that is really masking the issue.

To be honest our win/loss ratio is flattering - take Piatau out we may have lost a lot more than 7 or 8 games.

Defensively we have been all over the place all season and lack any sort of variety to how we play.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 4:36 pm

They also suggested that former All Blacks prop and Crusaders assistant coach Dave Hewett could be eyeing a role at Ulster as forwards coach.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/88439184/highlanders-coach-tony-brown-linked-to-ireland-move-with-connacht

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 16 Jan 2017, 4:51 pm

That'll do alright OK

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:05 pm

Just did some checking, he's not with the Crusaders anymore as he didn't reapply when Todd Blackadder left. He actually applied for Blackadders job and was told he didn't have the experience.

Maybe he could join right away Fingers Crossed

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/provincial/83470753/former-crusaders-assistant-coach-dave-hewett-contemplates-switch-to-canterbury-job

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:10 pm

Let's put a positive spin on things.

But I have to mention the name Nucifora.... so no stones thrown at me before I finish - and it won't be long.

Munster have struggled.  Leinster have struggled and nobody needs to even mention Connacht when it comes to struggling.  This has especially been the case as the Provinces have been struggling to meet the challenges of the rise and rise in opposition funding in the other two top leagues...plus added to that the complete reworking of the European contest and how that has fed into Pro12 changes and more intense competitiveness.

But after a few years..... and Nucifora bedding down.... what are we seeing?  Munster seeming to find traction again.  Leinster looking ultra sharp again.  Connacht maybe still up and down under the pressures of overall squad quality and injuries but still doing reasonably well after a special year.
Maybe Ulster's upswing is just around the corner now.  Maybe it's all a carefully worked-on plan that people won't realise was in the making until it happens.

He may be a hidden manipulative basterde behind the scenes, but bit by bit Nucifora is beginning to prove his doubters wrong.  But it takes time.  Four teams to get the foundation work right on.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:24 pm

Nucifora is considered an enemy of Ulster, and that will never, never, never change mad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 Jan 2017, 5:34 pm

rodders wrote:I don't think it is anything to do with which players are available.

Leinster, Munster. Connacht are able to produce results and performances regardless of who they pick because the are well coached.

By contrast we are clueless no matter who we play - Piatau. McCloskey or Pienaar might get us out of jail with a bit of magic now and again but that is really masking the issue.

To be honest our win/loss ratio is flattering - take Piatau out we may have lost a lot more than 7 or 8 games.

Defensively we have been all over the place all season and lack any sort of variety to how we play.

I agree with all that, but would say we are missing leaders in the pack. Outside of Best we are weak in leaders. That's a job Best doesn't want to do, but one that is forced on him.

We also lack the really nasty type of player, like Nick Williams. I believe we have a few players who can fill that role , such as O'Connor, Kane, Simpson, but it needs to coached to the fore and our present coaches are incapable of doing that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:02 pm

Would love to see a new coach straight away an dput eith Clarke or Doak on gardening leave.

I wonder is the other signing Oliver Jager?

As for Nucifora "Maybe Ulster's upswing is just around the corner now. Maybe it's all a carefully worked-on plan that people won't realise was in the making until it happens."

I can't see how not allowing Pienaar an extension is going to delivery an upswing.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:21 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would love to see a new coach straight away an dput eith Clarke or Doak on gardening leave.

As for Nucifora "Maybe Ulster's upswing is just around the corner now.  Maybe it's all a carefully worked-on plan that people won't realise was in the making until it happens."

I can't see how not allowing Pienaar an extension is going to delivery an upswing.

My point exactly. A sure case of not knowing where the upswing will come from until in happens.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by toml Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:37 pm

Kingshu wrote:Would love to see a new coach straight away an dput eith Clarke or Doak on gardening leave.

As for Nucifora "Maybe Ulster's upswing is just around the corner now.  Maybe it's all a carefully worked-on plan that people won't realise was in the making until it happens."

He would have to be mad... Or severely homesick. He has just got a contract with Crusaders super rugby.

More likely to be Paddy McCallister, Glaws have just signed a loose head from Worcester.

You're right, put Clarke on Gardening leave, I don't want to see his bake on an Ulster bench again. Although word is his son is very highly rated

toml

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 16 Jan 2017, 6:56 pm

toml wrote:

You're right, put Clarke on Gardening leave, I don't want to see his bake on an Ulster bench again. Although word is his son is very highly rated

Is that his father rating him? Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:08 pm

rodders wrote:I don't think it is anything to do with which players are available.

Disagree that it's nothing to do with the players, agree with most of the rest but Ulster don't have the players even if they did have the coaching.
Leinster have been producing more players than they can use for a number of years and with coaches at club level like Ruddock they are getting better coaching at lower levels, same with Munster. Connacht are producing youngsters and they are getting the exposure and coaching - the Ulster schools aren't producing the players.
Look at the respective front rows:
Leinster: McGrath, Cronin, Furlong all current Ireland caps and potential Lions
Munster: Cronin/Kilcoyne, Scannell, Ryan all Test class
Connacht: Buckley, McCartney, Bealham all Test class
Ulster: McCall/Black/Warwick, Best, Herbst/Lutton/Simpson/Kane currently only Best is Test / Lions class

Henderson and Best are the only two who would push for a start, none of the rest (including Henry) are likely to get a game at any of the other provinces including Connacht (Coetzee unseen and excluded). The third string backrow at Leinster and backups at Munster would be starting for Ulster.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:37 pm

toml wrote:
More likely to be Paddy McCallister, Glaws have just signed a loose head from Worcester.

Paddy signed a new contract earlier this season so doubt itll be him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 9:10 am

Jager is in contract with Crusaders unless they've sorted out a buy out with him wanting to return home. He has been a bencher all his career so far but could be a solid IQ signing. Probably not though.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:05 am

Pete330v2 wrote:

Jager is in contract with Crusaders unless they've sorted out a buy out with him wanting to return home. He has been a bencher all his career so far but could be a solid IQ signing. Probably not though.

Hes only 21, so probably not developed yet and ready to be a starter

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:18 am

As mentioned before Christmas we had 3 main signing lined up. IQ 9, NIQ 8 both in the bag, the other will be a LH . From what I understand a Kiwi and I would imagine a Project giving us 3+1 next year.
For a first ever start Shanahan did well, step up from Marshall. Encouraged by him barking out orders - not many in our team do that.
Trimble has to be the most pointless appointment as a captain I've ever seen.

Next year our 9's will be Cooney, Shanahan and 1 of Lloyd or Heaney I reckon. It's a year too early for the 2 youngsters.

I maintain my belief that Marshall, Black, Lutton are off in the summer.
Props for next year
LH - Kiwi, McCall, Warwick
TH - Herbst, Ah You, Kane, Simpson
Next on the list - Trenier, O'Hagan

One thing I have to mention starting to see why Schmidt has cast McCloskey into the wilderness , his defence has been appalling in recent weeks really getting exposed. Him and Marshall not working We feel forced to play him though because the back row is so weak, with 2 staffers next year I don't reckoned he will make the team.
Olding/Marshall for 12 Payne/Cave for 13. Payne and Cave remain the smartest defenders.

Would not shock me if Jackson is holding out for a Central contract or, alternatively, the highest Ulster contract ever for an Irish player.

On a a positive note almost certain both Doak and Clarke are off.
As for Kiss let's judge him with his own men in - he didn't want those 2. Force on him by IRFU

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:27 am

geoff999rugby wrote:
One thing I have to mention starting to see why Schmidt has cast McCloskey into the wilderness , his defence has been appalling in recent weeks really getting exposed.

Unfortunately I agree - also his work rate compared to Henshaw's is very poor.

This is very frustrating because this guy has so much potential. His break and offload for Riedy's try was as good as anything Sonny Bill Williams has ever done.

Hopefully Schmidt can whip him into shape because I believe he is potentially the best inside centre on the planet.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Redman Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:29 am

At 21 might want to keep him there to develop his game before returning. Don't want our coaching setup ruining his prospects.

Says in Wikipedia his London born Irish. Do we know what part of Ireland the family hails from? Not a given but might make it slightly more likely he'd arrive back at his original port of call.

Redman

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:49 am

marty2086 wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

Maybe we could swap them Ruaidhrí Murphy for him? He's a proven experienced super rugby player...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:21 am

clivemcl wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

Maybe we could swap them Ruaidhrí Murphy for him? He's a proven experienced super rugby player...

Pity we let him go already, a player with international prospects who couldnt make the Ravens

Last edited by marty2086 on Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:29 am

marty2086 wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:

Oh, my mistake, I didn't realize he was just a cub. Always hard to tell with props as they look 35 on the day of their birth and remain that way until they are 35.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by neilthom7 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

I don't think it is any coincidence that our defence looks incredibly shaky in the backs when Jared Payne is not playing

neilthom7

http://www.twitter.com/thomthom1988

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:18 pm

Spot on. Marshall is a 12 not a13, him and McCloskey doesn't work, especially when McCloskey is a poor defensive 12 as well.

If not Payne, it has to be Cave or Olding at 13. They are the only ones with the brains for the job - maybe Ludik at a push.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 12:49 pm

Marshall doesn't seem to be carrying as much as he was earlier in the season and something seems off with the Jackson, Marshall, McCloskey link up as they don't seem to be like they had been

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 20  Next