The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clermont vs Ulster 18th December

+11
rodders
The Great Aukster
marty2086
theslosty
BigGee
profitius
eirebilly
Rory_Gallagher
Pete330v2
Artful_Dodger
Rugby Fan
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Clermont vs Ulster 18th December - Page 2 Empty Clermont vs Ulster 18th December

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 19 Dec - 2:32

First topic message reminder :

Oops. 21-0 to Clermont already.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Clermont vs Ulster 18th December - Page 2 Empty Re: Clermont vs Ulster 18th December

Post by marty2086 Thu 22 Dec - 22:33

Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Still would have been playing against 15 sure if he went off Whistle

He was actually one guy we could have done with being off the field too

I missed the incident altogether. Is there any footage anywhere?

https://youtu.be/v5WSY0Axed4

To me he doesn't seem to make contact with the eye but the neck instead

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Clermont vs Ulster 18th December - Page 2 Empty Re: Clermont vs Ulster 18th December

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 22 Dec - 22:37

marty2086 wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:Still would have been playing against 15 sure if he went off Whistle

He was actually one guy we could have done with being off the field too

I missed the incident altogether. Is there any footage anywhere?

https://youtu.be/v5WSY0Axed4

To me he doesn't seem to make contact with the eye but the neck instead

It looks like his hand did slip across Luke's face although out of sight in that shot. By the time you see his hand it's slipping up the side of his head. Very hard to see but it looks entirely accidental to me. Harsh or not ?

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu 22 Dec - 22:44

Depends how you look at it, he essentially got the same ban as Ashton but got a greater reduction for his record etc

It was fairly innocuous but the ban is to enforce behaviour and awareness

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by VID Sat 24 Dec - 20:51

Just read an article from Pundit Arena in which the Clermont coach Franck Azéma is very unhappy re the citing process. Does he have a point and could Best be facing a ban?

VID

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sat 24 Dec - 21:39

VID wrote:Just read an article from Pundit Arena in which the Clermont coach Franck Azéma is very unhappy re the citing process. Does he have a point and could Best be facing a ban?

No because the time period when citings can be made has elapsed

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec - 23:09

VID wrote:Just read an article from Pundit Arena in which the Clermont coach Franck Azéma is very unhappy re the citing process. Does he have a point and could Best be facing a ban?

No, he can't be banned. Not sure if he has a point. I would need to see video clips of both incidents.

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 24 Dec - 23:24

Munchkin wrote:

No, he can't be banned. Not sure if he has a point. I would need to see video clips of both incidents.

He doesnt have a point, from recollection there were 3 sets of hands involved in the Best incident, his Marshalls and the Clermont player and it looked like two of them made contact with the face including the Clermont player when wrestling for the ball

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Dec - 23:33

If it was when the Clermont guy held the ball in front of his own face, then it would have been an accident. I would need to see the Marshall one to know if it was an accident. I remember he wasn't happy about something, but no more than that.

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 25 Dec - 1:52

I wonder where we all stand on the following. IF there was eye contact, and intentionally so, Ulster would have been playing 14 men. When the incident happened, Marshall went down clutching his face, but the game play and ref were long gone.

Would anyone endorse Marshall hounding the touch judge, or hounding the ref later, or even getting in a tussle with the player just to bring awareness that something had happened.

If the ref had been aware and looked to the TMO we may have seen the required angles and it could have had a big impact on the game.

Any supporters of the tennis-like idea of being able to call upon the ref to take a look at things?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 25 Dec - 2:40

"Any supporters of the tennis-like idea of being able to call upon the ref to take a look at things?"

Absolutely not. We have enough stoppages with whistle-happy refs and the insecure refs who need 5 minutes of TMO debate before doin what they are employed to actually do.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 25 Dec - 2:48

Even if it meant you could get a player penalised correctly and enjoy an extra man advantage?

Do you think Marshall should have/ could have done any more to get the incident addressed at the time??

It isnt much consolation when players get banned afterwards. That only benefits the other teams in their upcoming fixtures!

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Sun 25 Dec - 3:04

Definately not Clive. You know our luck with these things. We'd fall foul more often than we'd make any gains. I believe only the captains should ever speak to a ref otherwise we'll edge closer to the soccer treatment of refs.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sun 25 Dec - 3:10

Yea, I get you. Still though, we've seen it before. Similar kind of foul play gets looked at when there's a 'kerfuffle'!
If Marshall grabbed someone, shoved someone etc.... A few more players run in, all of a sudden the reflistens to the complaints and there you have it, a TMO review. But a player on the ground clutching his face, the officials don't want to know...

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 25 Dec - 3:18

I'm with Pete I want to get home before midnight.

Lets not drag it out into a multi hour bore like USA football and baseball

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 25 Dec - 9:26

Best 'Gouge'

This apparently is what Clermont think Rory should have been cited for Rolling Eyes

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 9:43

Difficult to tell what happened. I'm sure if it was Ashton or Hartley it would be a 'gouge'.

Is Best still an acceptable captain for the Lions? The doubt is there.

Whistle

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 25 Dec - 9:44

In the spirit of the season do bore of you sad b@stard

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 9:50

Pleasant as always Smile

Do you not realise how you only see things one way?

I'm not getting personal with anyone so why the offensive language?

You are happy to post forever and a day on Hartley and other English 'offences' and yet you have to post back aggressively when someone questions an Irish player.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 25 Dec - 9:57

Calling it as I see it

You made claims yesterday you were asked to back up, we're still waiting

You're a troll

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 10:01

marty2086 wrote:Calling it as I see it

You made claims yesterday you were asked to back up, we're still waiting

You're a troll
I'm a troll? I like a bit of an edgy discussion, but I'm not trolling. Honest.

You live on threads about any disciplinary issues for English players. Irish players must be innocent of all charges.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 25 Dec - 10:02

Good one @sshole

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 10:05

Just unpleasant. No need for that at all Sad

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sun 25 Dec - 10:12

No your sad unsubstantiated claims arent needed but you still keep going and here you are again doing it all over

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 10:16

marty2086 wrote:No your sad unsubstantiated claims arent needed but you still keep going and here you are again doing it all over
Hmmmm.

Why is it ok for you to post your unsubstantiated claims?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun 25 Dec - 10:16

Also, since when is it ok to post offensive posts like you have?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Sun 25 Dec - 21:24

Cyril is both a troll and a windup merchant - ask to backup a serious slur on Irish rugby on the George North thread we were met with silence,

The reference here on Best questioning on whether Best is fit for the Lions is another example

Claiming if it was Ashton or Hartley it would be viewed differently is another example

If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck and walks like a duck - its a duck

Merry Christmas by the way to all supporters of all clubs and all nationalities

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 26 Dec - 10:38

geoff999rugby wrote:Cyril is both a troll and a windup merchant - ask to backup a serious slur on Irish rugby on the George North thread we were met with silence,

The reference here on Best questioning on whether Best is fit for the Lions is another example

Claiming if it was Ashton or Hartley it would be viewed differently is another example

If it looks like a duck, talks like a duck and walks like a duck - its a duck

Merry Christmas by the way to all supporters of all clubs and all nationalities

First of all, Merry Christmas to all too Smile

Secondly, why is it ok to make serious slurs against other clubs/countries and not others?

I was thinking about Marshall and O'Driscoll in terms of lack of care.

geoff/marty, we can discuss without getting personal I hope.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 26 Dec - 21:55

Cyril in what way have other clubs - I assume you are talking about Saints been slured ?

With respect to BOD and Marshall what specific instances are you referring to you that warrant the statement that the Irish have been worse in there duty of care to players than the duty of care shown to North ?

My frustration with your posts is you make claims but do not back them up with specifics that we can debate in a rational way.
Please post specifics and we can discuss

As to the off the cuff comments re Best and Ashton/Hartley I don't see how that can be considered as anything other than a deliberate wind up

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Mon 26 Dec - 22:03

On Marshall he has had 1 incident in near as damn it 3 years - of course that is 1 too many.

On none of his incidences has he been unconscious and on non of his incidence has he returned to the pitch.

By comparison North has, I believe, been unconscious 3 times and on 2 of those occasions returned to the pitch.
I do not see how those two can be compared.

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 27 Dec - 2:47

Cyril your trolling, you dont like being called out for it then dont do it

The BOD incident did not see him knocked out and he passed the HIA, he also passed a HIA 6 months later and was still not allowed to go back on

As for Luke Marshall, if Im not mistaken he took a knock to the head earlier this year and didnt have a concussion but was kept out of action for a few weeks to be monitored

So your examples actually show going beyond the protocols closer to home

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue 27 Dec - 23:24

Hartley - total banned time is over 1 year
Ashton - total banned time is over 6 months
Best - total banned time is ??? (I cant recall him ever being banned - correct me if I am wrong)

To compare them in terms of discipline is trolling

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Tue 27 Dec - 23:45

I honestly cannot believe that Best is being questioned about the possibility of him Captaining the Lions. He is streaks ahead of the rest as a hooker and has developed into an excellent on field leader. In my mind, he is currently the standout out front runner to Captain the Lions.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2