The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ignore brain injury with impunity!

+22
Hammersmith harrier
BigTrevsbigmac
Cyril
poissonrouge
munkian
rodders
eirebilly
R!skysports
RDW
Golden
Pete330v2
geoff999rugby
RiscaGame
Geordie
No 7&1/2
Redman
doctor_grey
thebandwagonsociety
marty2086
The Great Aukster
Scottrf
MrsP
26 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ignore brain injury with impunity! - Page 4 Empty Ignore brain injury with impunity!

Post by MrsP Wed 21 Dec 2016, 8:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

So a player gets 3 week ban for foul language but keeping a Brain Injured Player in the game no sanctions whatsoever.
Player Welfare ?????

That is the view of Peter Robinson whose 14 year old son died because he was allowed to continue to play in a rugby match despite being head injured.

After yet another example of terrible mismanagement of an obvious and serious head injury in the professional game the review has decided that no sanction is necessary. This despite them concluding..

"The CMRG’s view is that there was sufficient evidence to conclude not only from the video evidence but also George North’s history and risk stratification that he should not have returned to the field of play. Northampton Saints medical team has accepted that North may have lost consciousness and therefore should not have returned to play."

The message?

Go ahead and ignore an obvious brain injury, no problem. And when it happens in a grassroots game or school boy game they can point to the fact that the CMRG said...

"The CMRG considered the welfare of North was always at the centre of Northampton’s actions, and does not consider that the medical team (or the club) failed to complete the HIA protocol..."

What a disgrace!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Ignore brain injury with impunity! - Page 4 Empty Re: Ignore brain injury with impunity!

Post by Seagultaf Wed 11 Jan 2017, 9:29 am

Congratulation to the English Premiership in demonstration that they are taking the issue of head injuries seriously. Whilst this is unfortunate for Scaracents to decision to ban both the player red carded and Barritt who's part in the same incident was missed must be congratulated and this only begs the question, why the organisers of the Pro12 continue to brush incidents such as this under their well worn carpet?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Ignore brain injury with impunity! - Page 4 Empty Re: Ignore brain injury with impunity!

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 9:30 am

Muster being investigated for Murray treatment now but nothing about Henderson continuing after seemingly being knocked out in 67th min against Exeter. Seems unless the commentators spot it the people in charge don't bother.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:11 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Muster being investigated for Murray treatment now but nothing about Henderson continuing after seemingly being knocked out in 67th min against Exeter. Seems unless the commentators spot it the people in charge don't bother.

Just watched the replay, you see Henderson go down for a split second and then hes out of shot unless you are looking for it its hard to see

https://youtu.be/ZkHN1t_4utM?t=1h17m10s

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:17 am

marty2086 wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Muster being investigated for Murray treatment now but nothing about Henderson continuing after seemingly being knocked out in 67th min against Exeter. Seems unless the commentators spot it the people in charge don't bother.

Just watched the replay, you see Henderson go down for a split second and then hes out of shot unless you are looking for it its hard to see

He definitely kno0cks his head on the Exeter players knee but there's little else to suggest he was unconscious bar his head going to the ground which could have been out of frustration. There doesn't seem to be and force behind it although I know a glancing blow can knock you sparko. There's not really a case to answer here IMO, it doesn't look at all serious.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:19 am

Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

He definitely kno0cks his head on the Exeter players knee but there's little else to suggest he was unconscious bar his head going to the ground which could have been out of frustration. There doesn't seem to be and force behind it although I know a glancing blow can knock you sparko. There's not really a case to answer here IMO, it doesn't look at all serious.

It wasn't until rewatching it I saw the contact with the knee, I took it at the time to be frustration and Henderson can be slow getting back to his feet at the best of times

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:20 am

Yeah apart from going down like a sack of spuds and not movjng! A knee to the head would be a concussion check anyway or should be.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:21 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yeah apart from going down like a sack of spuds and not movjng! A knee to the head would be a concussion check anyway or should be.

How can you tell he didn't move? Hes out of shot almost as soon as it happens

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:24 am

First view you can see he's not moving straight away. The way he fell was limp as well. It's what made me notice it at the time. Didn't see the knee initially either until the reverse angle.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:42 am

You can clearly see him up and back in the line 10 secs later

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 10:45 am

Yup he's up reasonably quickly. You don't think he was knocked out then? Obviously I thought it was pretty clear. Certainly a strong question on it given his fall. Even discounting that a knee to the head should have resulted in a test. My point here is that it was picked up on commentary and not picked up by the guys questioning Murray. Doesn't seem like a review of games is going that much in depth but reviewing highlights and the studio chat.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yup he's up reasonably quickly. You don't think he was knocked out then? Obviously I thought it was pretty clear. Certainly a strong question on it given his fall. Even discounting that a knee to the head should have resulted in a test. My point here is that it was picked up on commentary and not picked up by the guys questioning Murray. Doesn't seem like a review of games is going that much in depth but reviewing highlights and the studio chat.

Having watched Henderson for years, at the time I put it down to just how he is as he does seem to move like an old man at times like that.

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 2:04 pm

Munster Rugby are confident they gave Conor Murray the best possible care following the scrum-half’s clash of heads with Glasgow’s Tim Swinson during their Champions Cup game at Scotstoun on Saturday.

Competition organisers EPCR on Sunday instructed its Medical Advisory Group to convene an Untoward Incident Review Group to investigate the timeline of events and procedures put in place by Munster after Murray went down having appeared to lose consciousness following his tackle on the Warriors lock.

Murray, 27, was later removed from the field to undergo a Head Injury Assessment, conducted by Munster medics, which he passed and after a five-and-a-half minute absence was allowed to return to complete the game. The Ireland star completed his HIA 2 post-match and has passed HIA 3 since returning to Limerick, Munster communications manager Fiona Murphy told the Irish Examiner. Munster have been in dialogue with the Review Group, providing a chronological order of their treatment and decision- making processes following the clash of heads and are satisfied their procedures were well managed and with the best interests of player welfare the priority.

“We’re working with EPCR and anything to do with player welfare is welcome from our point of view,” Murphy said, “We’ll work with EPCR on anything like that.

“Everything we did (in treating Murray) was in keeping with World Rugby guidelines in terms of timings and the medical processes, as it has been with every head injury.”

While Munster are satisfied they have correctly followed the HIA guidelines, former Ireland team doctor Cliff Beirne believes the protocols should be conducted by independent medical practitioners. Dr Beirne, currently practicing alongside another former Ireland team doctor Eanna Falvey, at the Sports Surgery Clinic, told RTÉ Radio’s Morning Ireland programme: “I personally have to endorse the integrity and the commitment to player welfare of all the doctors and physiotherapists involved in taking care of the provincial rugby players and indeed the players at national level, but I think the HIA really needs to be looked at.

“If they are going to investigate all the protocols, then I think they need to look in the mirror. We know that concussed players can pass this HIA. George North, who described himself as ‘snake-dancing’ off the pitch, Brian O’Driscoll in the Autumn (2013) international against New Zealand (2013), he passed those tests, but my colleague Eanna Falvey didn’t allow him back on the pitch.

“I really am concerned about the HIAs.” Dr Beirne added: “I feel it is a very blunt instrument to assess a complex involved injury, in a very short time.

“This should be looked at independently by people who have no skin in the game, who are genuine experts.”

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/munster-satisfied-conor-murray-got-proper-care-and-attention-439475.html

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Engine#4 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:53 pm

Murray got plenty of proper care and attention from Glasgow. I guess different rules apply to CJ Stander than apply to Strauss/Swinson/Gray when it comes to trying to block kicks.

There's now a nasty trend of teams trying to take out Murray and Sexton. It's been noticed and it's going to lead to a nasty atmosphere in Landsdowne when England and France visit and try it on again this year

Engine#4

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Wed 18 Jan 2017, 9:19 am

Engine#4 wrote:Murray got plenty of proper care and attention from Glasgow.  I guess different rules apply to CJ Stander than apply to Strauss/Swinson/Gray when it comes to trying to block kicks.

There's now a nasty trend of teams trying to take out Murray and Sexton. It's been noticed and it's going to lead to a nasty atmosphere in Landsdowne when England and France visit and try it on again this year

That's a bit of an exaggeration, Swinson for me should have been cited for the forearm(something which seems to get overlooked a lot these days despite it being pretty dangerous), the rest were on the margin of cheap shots to the body

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:50 pm

Engine#4 wrote:Murray got plenty of proper care and attention from Glasgow.  I guess different rules apply to CJ Stander than apply to Strauss/Swinson/Gray when it comes to trying to block kicks.

I seem to recall Sexton running into Basteraud a few times and coming off worse in recent years but when did England target them and try to take them out? Some claim.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4