The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

+67
catchweight
wayne
RuggerRadge2611
dummy_half
tigertattie
carpet baboon
nathan
Winzer
Poorfour
rapidsnowman
bedfordwelsh
chris_501
No9
mystiroakey
Mad for Chelsea
marty2086
Gooseberry
Barney McGrew did it
reallybored
EWT Spoons
Sgt_Pooly
RDW
Rugby Fan
dgttaylor
Heuer27
PhilBB
the-goon
Hammersmith harrier
No 7&1/2
RiscaGame
munkian
George Carlin
BigTrevsbigmac
R!skysports
Tattie Scones RRN
BamBam
Exiledinborders
CraigS1874
SecretFly
beshocked
cascough
Luckless Pedestrian
funnyExiledScot
IanBru
theslosty
LondonTiger
LordDowlais
westisbest
Cyril
king_carlos
Cumbrian
eirebilly
The Great Aukster
lostinwales
TJ
Rory_Gallagher
True Raven
robbo277
Gwlad
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Scottrf
Submachine
rodders
Sin é
GunsGermsV2
71 posters

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 11 Empty Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 13 Jan 2017, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

My wishlist:

I hope AWJ is named captain to keep the Irish and English lads in check.
I hope Robshaw gets picked, he deserves to tour at least once at this point.
I hope the refereeing is strictly on a level playing field.
I hope NZ are made accountable for any incidents where they break anyone's collarbone and put them out of the game for 13 months.
The Lions to be at the very least competitive and win one of the first two tests.
I'd like to see Tadhg Furlong get a run out.
Would like to see an uncapped player in the squad.
No charity caps, Tom court, Shane Williams etc.
I hope Gatland comes up with a much more interesting and variable game plan than on the last Lions tour.
Dylan Hartley calls a ref the C word on the last day of the six nations and misses the tour.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 11 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:41 pm

Not really what I meant chaps ( hyperbole for comic effect but missed by you 'cos I didn't put a smiley in) but he really was poor by his standards that game. He is still very young and inexperienced and will have learnt from it I hope. Remember the near miss of a goalkick from right in front of the sticks? Simply didn't concentrate on it and go thru his usual routine and almost hooked it wide. Wilkinson ( still IMO the benchmark for professionalism in kicking)would not have done that. He went thru the same routine for every kick even in front of the posts

TJ

Back to top Go down

Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about - Page 11 Empty Re: Lions 2017 - Name your team, captain and whatever else you want to harp on about

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:44 pm

Tattie it's all relative. Russell is more flaky than Farrell,Biggar,Ford and Sexton.

He does some good things and some not so great things.

If he and Hogg were more composed in the 2nd half vs Australia, IMO then Scotland would have won in the AIs.

Doesn't make either bad players. Just a bit overhyped by Scotland fans because they are the best 10 and 15 you've had in years. Makes Scottish fans a bit overexcited IMO.

Good players but they have their flaws.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:48 pm

beshocked wrote:Tattie it's all relative. Russell is more flaky than Farrell,Biggar,Ford and Sexton.

He does some good things and some not so great things.

If he and Hogg were more composed in the 2nd half vs Australia, IMO then Scotland would have won in the AIs.

Doesn't make either bad players. Just a bit overhyped by Scotland fans because they are the best 10 and 15 you've had in years. Makes Scottish fans a bit overexcited IMO.

Good players but they have their flaws.

Beshocked...the reason Scotland lost that game was because Horne came on, and while not being completely up to speed with the match pace and a lapse in concentration, missed an easy tackle to allow Australia a try.

That was the moment. It was 15 yards out and if he'd taken him down, with a man advantage, I reckon Scotland would have kept Oz out and won the game.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:51 pm

IMO we lost that game because of failing to gather the restart and then a poor lineout call and execution

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:52 pm

Russell at his best like against Racing is the best in the NH - he can do things the other contenders simply cannot or do not. However playing a high risk game as he does he will make mistakes in execution and sometimes he also makes mistakes by taking the wrong option.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:55 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:^ Agreed.

With respect, you're talking pish TJ.

Russell is not flaky at all. He's made some mistakes....woop dee doo. As have all the other FH's in the world.

He does far more good than bad.

I did think someone would say that. Is that good enough for the lions?

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

And Cascough......Hogg is more than just fast.

So people keep telling me, and yet for the most part when I've seen him play over the last 4 years he is often seen butchering overlaps, running when he should kick, passing or forcing an offload when he should take contact and recycling. I've also seen him make good decisions like pass when he should, kick when he should or offload when he should and the execution is often poor. And his defense is far from good enough. But he makes line breaks so that's exciting, isn't it?

To be fair to Hogg in the last 6 nations his execution was a little better and he looked better as a result. But as I mentioned before, we're talking about the toughest Lions tour in recent history. Let's see what he does for Scotland in the 6N because there's too much hype at the moment.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 12:57 pm

Australia were turning up the pressure and neither Russell or Hogg managed to successfully relieve it.

Need to be better at tactical kicking and playing the territory gain.

I don't think it was necessarily just one moment as Australia did build pressure.

Needed to shut Australia down and close out the game which you failed to do.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:01 pm

TJ wrote:IMO we lost that game because of failing to gather the restart and then a poor lineout call and execution

Wrong game.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:08 pm

cascough wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:^ Agreed.

With respect, you're talking pish TJ.

Russell is not flaky at all. He's made some mistakes....woop dee doo. As have all the other FH's in the world.

He does far more good than bad.

I did think someone would say that. Is that good enough for the lions?

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

And Cascough......Hogg is more than just fast.

So people keep telling me, and yet for the most part when I've seen him play over the last 4 years he is often seen butchering overlaps, running when he should kick, passing or forcing an offload when he should take contact and recycling. I've also seen him make good decisions like pass when he should, kick when he should or offload when he should and the execution is often poor. And his defense is far from good enough. But he makes line breaks so that's exciting, isn't it?

To be fair to Hogg in the last 6 nations his execution was a little better and he looked better as a result. But as I mentioned before, we're talking about the toughest Lions tour in recent history. Let's see what he does for Scotland in the 6N because there's too much hype at the moment.

Are you serious?

Incidentally, are you Welsh by any chance?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:12 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
TJ wrote:IMO we lost that game because of failing to gather the restart and then a poor lineout call and execution

Wrong game.

every game furious

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:15 pm

You could refute the content of my post instead of of trying to undermine my post by alleging my nationality (and insinuating that has a bearing).

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

cascough wrote:You could refute the content of my post instead of of trying to undermine my post by alleging my nationality (and insinuating that has a bearing).

It's easy to refute a reasoned argument, but it's much more difficult to debate with one-eyedness.

I'll just let you continue with your own belief that Hogg is over-rated by the millions who voted him 6N player last year, but somehow missed the all the wrong decision-making, poor passing, cr@p kicking and sh!te offloads.

He must have been running too fast for us to notice all that.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:23 pm

And I am genuinely interested in your Nationality.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:34 pm

One eyedness is ironic, given how much of this thread has become people trumping up players from their own countries (which is not something I'm doing, but you're doing it now). I'd rather see the Lions go to NZ with the best possible players, rather than ones from a team I like.
I haven't kept my allegiance secret on this forum but it really makes no difference here. I'm against Hogg going on the Lions because I think he is all hype. I'm basing that on what I've seen, not his nationality.
As for the millions (really? millions? Genuinely that would be a surpise to me) voted him player of the tournament...that doesn't make the notion he is a world beater any truer. I can still only base my opinion on what I have seen.

Let me ask you a question, what are Hoggs weaknesses?

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

cascough wrote:Let me ask you a question, what are Hoggs weaknesses?
Hair gel and colourful boots.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:44 pm

IanBru wrote:

That's fair enough!

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:46 pm

IanBru wrote:I don't mind the 'team of the week' articles, especially as they're inevitably intended as a summary of the week's rugby, and the upcoming Lions tour provides a useful context within which particular players are deemed suitable or not. It also helps to remove the French and non-GB&I players from the conversation!

What I don't like are lazy 'players to watch' articles, of which Planet Rugby are masters, which do nothing to bring your eye to any young star you haven't heard of, and just regurgitate players already doing well in international competition. The latest Planet Rugby 'Players to watch in 2017' article genuinely included such unheralded names as Owen Farrell, Liam Williams, Dylan Hartley, and Beauden Barrett. Yup, the England captain, and the World Player of the Year. Heard of them? Yeah, me neither...

The BBC are almost as bad. They're sure to write a 'Guide to the Six Nations' fluff piece that will list basic information for the casual fan. I'd lay my mortgage on the 'player to watch' for Scotland being Jonny Gray or Stuart Hogg. Yes they're great, but everyone has heard of them. Why not pick Ali Price or Hamish Watson? Would you bet against the BBC picking Sergio Parisse for Italy, or Owen Farrell for England?

See, I think there's a distinction between a Rugby specific publication being populist and vague, and the BBC, which has other things to consider regarding the casual fan.

It's like when the ex-pro's on commentary elaborate on why a penalty has been committed, or why a certain tactic was employed and why it did/didn't come off. To anyone who's played the game- or even just watched it- for a couple of years, it's going to be obvious, but then it's not for our benefit, it's for people- especially children- who simply don't know these things yet, and it's a clear and concise way of having that explained to them. I think that's a good thing, and I think- in a way- BBC articles familiarising children/people slowly getting into the sport through obvious avenues isn't a bad thing at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Jan 2017, 1:49 pm

IanBru wrote:

Explains the diving haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:10 pm

cascough wrote:One eyedness is ironic, given how much of this thread has become people trumping up players from their own countries (which is not something I'm doing, but you're doing it now). I'd rather see the Lions go to NZ with the best possible players, rather than ones from a team I like.
I haven't kept my allegiance secret on this forum but it really makes no difference here. I'm against Hogg going on the Lions because I think he is all hype. I'm basing that on what I've seen, not his nationality.
As for the millions (really? millions? Genuinely that would be a surpise to me) voted him player of the tournament...that doesn't make the notion he is a world beater any truer. I can still only base my opinion on what I have seen.

I'd say his main weakness is consistency. He'll play a blinder one week then be quiet the next week but I suppose only J Gray is the one who performs at the same level week in week out.

I'll ask you a question.

Who do you think is the starting 15 for the Lions as it stands then?

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:12 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Wrong game.

correct Doh

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:15 pm

Tattie.

Starting 15 for the Lions at this moment in time, for me any way is Mike brown.

Though that could change at the end of the 6ns.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:19 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
cascough wrote:You could refute the content of my post instead of of trying to undermine my post by alleging my nationality (and insinuating that has a bearing).

It's easy to refute a reasoned argument, but it's much more difficult to debate with one-eyedness.

I'll just let you continue with your own belief that Hogg is over-rated by the millions who voted him 6N player last year, but somehow missed the all the wrong decision-making, poor passing, cr@p kicking and sh!te offloads.

Hogg being named player of the tournament still annoys me.

Sure he was good but didn't deserve to win the title.

Clearly should have gone to the player who won 3 MOTM awards during the tournament and was nominated for world player of the year....

He's not a back though or Scottish though.... so.... always going to struggle.

Reminds me of when somehow Bowe beat Harinorduquy to the 2010 award. Again a back vs a forward....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:26 pm

beshocked wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Clearly should have gone to the player who won 3 MOTM awards during the tournament and was nominated for world player of the year....

Reminds me of when somehow Bowe beat Harinorduquy to the 2010 award. Again a back vs a forward....

Would that happen to be a Saracens player by chance?

Hogg was fantastic last 6N and has carried his form on since then, throughly deserved from an England fan.

Hogg is the best FB in the NH by some distance at the minute, he's one of the few certs to start in a Lions XV imo.

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

miaow wrote:It's like when the ex-pro's on commentary elaborate on why a penalty has been committed, or why a certain tactic was employed and why it did/didn't come off. To anyone who's played the game- or even just watched it- for a couple of years, it's going to be obvious, but then it's not for our benefit, it's for people- especially children- who simply don't know these things yet, and it's a clear and concise way of having that explained to them. I think that's a good thing, and I think- in a way- BBC articles familiarising children/people slowly getting into the sport through obvious avenues isn't a bad thing at all.

This where Jonathan Davies is way above other commentators/pundits, I know he annoys a lot of people but the way he will explain a move, or a missed opportunity not in just rugby union, but league as well when he commenting on a game surpasses every one else in their field.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:28 pm

Tattie I'd say it's impossible to call given the 6N (which will probably be the main factor in selection) is yet to happen. If you push me I'd say Halfpenny (because of his previous international exploits) Kearney and Brown should get the nod for the squad. I generally favour low error rate consistent players so looking at the most recent international exploits (ie summer and autumn) then of those 3 I'd probably go Brown.

That being said I think that many of the wingers that are in with a shout at going can also cover full back, so I don't think he will take 3, which means Brown is pretty unlikely to go. Kearney is another one who I wouldn't mind seeing in the 15 shirt. Again, low error rate, proven track record. But how close he will get to the squad with 2 Welsh lads kicking around is anyones guess.

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:30 pm

Kearney has a few big games left in him but Hogg is a safer bet IMO at this stage.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
cascough wrote:One eyedness is ironic, given how much of this thread has become people trumping up players from their own countries (which is not something I'm doing, but you're doing it now). I'd rather see the Lions go to NZ with the best possible players, rather than ones from a team I like.

I'd say his main weakness is consistency. He'll play a blinder one week then be quiet the next week but I suppose only J Gray is the one who performs at the same level week in week out.

I'll ask you a question.

Who do you think is the starting 15 for the Lions as it stands then?

Gatland ius picking the side? That would be Halfpenny then Wink

Browns' chances rest on how the 6 nations goes. He could be anything form starter to not on the plane. Ditto Hogg and Kearney. The only one who's a given to go is Halfpenny.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

Has Halfpenny played a decent game since his return?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:36 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Hogg was fantastic last 6N and has carried his form on since then, throughly deserved from an England fan.

Yes he's a Saracens player. Well done for noticing..... clap You deserve an award for that....

Sorry does that matter? Being a Saracens player didn't prevent him getting 3 MOTM awards, being massively influential and helping lead England to a GS.

Hogg was the best Scottish player. I would agree with that. Better than Billy? No. More influential than Billy? No, not at all.

You would think as an England fan you would have seen Billy Vunipola play in the 6 nations. Evidently you missed the 6 nations 2016.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:38 pm

Kruis was the best player for me.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

Scottrf wrote:Has Halfpenny played a decent game since his return?

Has that stopped Gatland picking him regardless in the past?

I suppose its a fair point though ...If Howley has the guts (and option) to drop him then suddenly going on a Lions tour gets a lot harder. But realistically hes one of the first names on the tour sheet.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:42 pm

Gooseberry wrote:

I suppose its a fair point though ...If Howley has the guts (and option) to drop him then suddenly going on a Lions tour gets a lot harder. But realistically hes one of the first names on the tour sheet.

Only because he is Welsh. And not because he is the best full back in the NH. (AND) because of his goal kicking which is a nonsence in my opinion.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:50 pm

This would be my team and it would be epic. However, it isnt a realistic selection at all for lots of reasons.

1. Mako V
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. J Gray
6. Itoje
7. SOB
8. Billy V
9. Murray
10. Russell
11. Watson
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Hogg

That back row would pee on the ABs. Hammer time to release our speedy backs.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:56 pm

You'd trust Russell to start away vs the ABs? Shocked No Sexton?

Doesn't look a bad side other than that but not sure about the 2nd row.

1 Welshman in entire XV is very unlikely.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by True Raven Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:58 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:This would be my team and it would be epic. However, it isnt a realistic selection at all for lots of reasons.

1. Mako V
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. J Gray
6. Itoje
7. SOB
8. Billy V
9. Murray
10. Russell
11. Watson
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Hogg

If you want speed then Webb is your scrum half. However Murray is the number one contender for that shirt

True Raven

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 2:59 pm

beshocked wrote:You'd trust Russell to start away vs the ABs? Shocked No Sexton?

Yes I would trust Russell. 100%.

Sexton is the best OH in the NH but he wouldn't last three tests. Russell would.

I agree that one Welshman is very unlikely and there are lots of good candidates (great squad) and I agree it isnt a realistic selection but its my selection.

AWJ would be captain by the way.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:01 pm

That's a very good team and close to what I could go for myself. I would make a small number of changes:

McGrath for Mako V.
Sexton for Russell.
L Williams for Nowell.

To add to that this would be my bench:

16.Mako V 17.Hartley 18.Cole 19.CJ Stander 20.Van Der Flier 21.Youngs 22.Farrell 23.Nowell

Here's my midweek side (and remainder of squad):

1.Marler 2.George 3.Lee 4.Launchbury 5.Lawes 6.Henderson 7.Warburton 8.Faletau 9.Webb 10.Ford 11.Zebo 12.Dunbar 13.JD2 14.Wade 15.Halfpenny (Gatland will find room, plus I don't trust Ford to kick!)

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:02 pm

True Raven wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:This would be my team and it would be epic. However, it isnt a realistic selection at all for lots of reasons.

1. Mako V
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. AWJ
5. J Gray
6. Itoje
7. SOB
8. Billy V
9. Murray
10. Russell
11. Watson
12. Henshaw
13. Joseph
14. Nowell
15. Hogg

If you want speed then Webb is your scrum half.  However Murray is the number one contender for that shirt

Murray is no slouch himself. Webb is probably a slightly faster passer but Murray possibly a marginally greater try scoring threat. (Webb is a threat too) Murray has scored a few v the ABs also.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:That's a very good team and close to what I could go for myself. I would make a small number of changes:

McGrath for Mako V.
Sexton for Russell.
L Williams for Nowell.

To add to that this would be my bench:

16.Mako V 17.Hartley 18.Cole 19.CJ Stander 20.Van Der Flier 21.Youngs 22.Farrell 23.Nowell

Here's my midweek side (and remainder of squad):

1.Marler 2.George 3.Lee 4.Launchbury 5.Lawes 6.Henderson 7.Warburton 8.Faletau 9.Webb 10.Ford 11.Zebo 12.Dunbar 13.JD2 14.Wade 15.Halfpenny (Gatland will find room, plus I don't trust Ford to kick!)

Actually Liam Williams is a good shout. Id swap him for Nowell too. McGrath was the toughest call for me, MV only just shaded it.

I wouldnt pick Sexton in the squad.

Last edited by GunsGermsV2 on Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:

Only because he is Welsh. And not because he is the best full back in the NH. (AND) because of his goal kicking which is a nonsence  in my opinion.

Some truth to that, but also because hes one of the senior eligible players of his generation. Reputation/class over form? Well it got half the 2005 squad a tour. And theres always room for someone like BOD and indeed Shame Williams the previous tour.

If the goal kicking is a nonsense (as opposed to "sence") then you should equally apply that the the fly half debate. If anything Halfpennys inclusion opens the door to the likes of Russel and Ford.

Rightly or wrongly Halfpenny a squad without Halfpenny would be a surprise.

Warburton on the other hand ...looks goosed.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:05 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
beshocked wrote:You'd trust Russell to start away vs the ABs? Shocked No Sexton?

Yes I would trust Russell. 100%.

Sexton is the best OH in the NH but he wouldn't last three tests. Russell would.

I agree that one Welshman is very unlikely and there are lots of good candidates (great squad) and I agree it isnt a realistic selection but its my selection.

AWJ would be captain by the way.

I think if AWJ and Wales have a strong 6 nations hes pretty much got the job hasn't he. Again you can argue about the rights and wrongs of that all day ...but its whats likely to happen. The guys has pedigree and respect at least.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:06 pm

Yes I suspect AWJ has already been told he will be captain. I think he would make the perfect captain.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:12 pm

I think Russell is the best 10 in the NH right now - but I wouldn't pick him for the lions. I think he needs players who are familiar with him around him - both back row and backs - and he will not have that so a more conventional "by the numbers" player would be better for the lions. If the lions had lots of time and games against minnows then maybe Russell but given what we know its Sexton or Biggar for me

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:13 pm

Not sure i would start Russel at 10 for a test with the ABs.

Not saying he should not go on tour, if he lives up to the form he as shown with Glasgow. But for a test against the ABs you would have to start either Farrell or Sexton.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:16 pm

AJW as captain has one huge issue - he is not one of the best locks in the NH right now. Gray, Itoje, Kruis, even Toner ahead of him to say nothing of Big Ritchie or Launchberry.

I can see Itoje ending up at 6 to try to solve this

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:17 pm

beshocked wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:
beshocked wrote:
Tattie Scones RRN wrote:

Yes he's a Saracens player. Well done for noticing..... clap You deserve an award for that....

Sorry does that matter? Being a Saracens player didn't prevent him getting 3 MOTM awards, being massively influential and helping lead England to a GS.

Hogg was the best Scottish player. I would agree with that. Better than Billy? No. More influential than Billy? No, not at all.

You would think as an England fan you would have seen Billy Vunipola play in the 6 nations. Evidently you missed the 6 nations 2016.

Nice work BS. When you disagree, bring out the "you must have missed the 6N" comment. Why does everyone you advocate have to be a Saracens player? It's so boring and predictable. Billy was good but Hogg was excellent, hence him getting the award .

Better than Billy? Yes....although in a different position.

More influential than Billy? Yes....although in a different position.

Just open your eyes sometimes, there's other teams and players apart from Sarries you know. You're a bit of an embarrassment on here sometimes, especially with other nations involved......can you not follow Wales instead?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Not sure i would start Russel at 10 for a test with the ABs.

Not saying he should not go on tour, if he lives up to the form he as shown with Glasgow. But for a test against the ABs you would have to start either Farrell or Sexton.

I would agree.

he is playing the best at the moment for Glasgow and would have him knocking on the tour bus door

But at moment, not a starter

Of course 6 nations is the main test for almost all

If Halfpenny goes (unless he has a cracker of a 6 nations) then the credibility of the tour takes a huge hit for me

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:19 pm

1.McGrath
2.Best(c)
3.Furlong
4.Itoje
5.Gray
6.Stander
7.Tipuric
8.Vunipola
9.Murray
10. Sexton
11.Seymour
12.Henshaw
13.Joseph
14.Trimble
15.Payne

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

If you are planning on a slog fest, crash ball to Roberts and grind out penalties, repeat then I understand the logic of picking Farrell.

I would love however, the Lions to actually try and go out and blitz the ABs and absolutely bamboozle them by hammering them at the breakdown and then splitting their defence open before they know what has hit them by selecting really fast daring backs.

I cant see that happening with Farrell at 10 and Gatland as coach because he will most likely start Farrell.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 24 Jan 2017, 3:22 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:I suspect AWJ has already been told he will be captain.

Do you really think so?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 21 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16 ... 21  Next