The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February

+36
EnglishReign
tigertattie
WELL-PAST-IT
Rory_Gallagher
eirebilly
Shifty
rainbow-warrior
ChequeredJersey
RDW
rumpelstiltskindoh
exile jack
Winzer
Scottrf
maestegmafia
True Raven
carpet baboon
BamBam
LondonTiger
bsando
George Carlin
SecretFly
PenfroPete
Gwlad
bedfordwelsh
wayne
TightHEAD
ScarletSpiderman
chris_501
Noble-Surfer
Luckless Pedestrian
RiscaGame
LordDowlais
munkian
majesticimperialman
lostinwales
aucklandlaurie
40 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Empty 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February

Post by Guest Sat 21 Jan 2017, 1:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Italee10 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Wales_11
ITALY v WALES
5 February 2017
15:00 CET (14:00 GMT)
Stadio Olimpico, Rome

Live on DMAX, ITV, RTE, FR2, S4C, BBC (H)

Referee: JP Doyle (England)
Touch judges: Johnny Lacey (Ireland) & Craig Maxwell-Keys (England)
TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

A. Head to Head

24 Played 24
21 Won 2
1 Drawn 1
2 Lost 21
815 Points 400

B. Recent Form

19 March 2016
Principality Stadium, Cardiff
67 – 14 to Wales

5 September 2015
Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
23 – 19 to Wales

21 March 2015
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
20 – 61 to Wales

1 February 2014
23 – 15 to Wales

23 February 2013
Stadio Olimpico, Rome
9 – 26 to Wales

10 March 2012
24 – 3 to Wales

C. Teams

ITALY
 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Italy10
15-Edoardo Padovani; 14-Giulio Bisegni, 13-Tommaso Benvenuti, 12-Luke McLean 11-Giovanbattista Venditti; 10-Carlo Canna, 9-Edoardo Gori; 1-Andrea Lovotti, 2-Ornel Gega, 3-Lorenzo Cittadini, 4-Marco Fuser, 5-George Biagi, 6-Abraham Steyn, 7-Maxime Mata M'Banda, 8-Sergio Parisse (captain)

Replacements: 16-Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17-Sami Panico, 18-Pietro Ceccarelli, 19-Joshua Furno, 20-Francesco Minto, 21-Giorgio Bronzini, 22-Tommaso Allan, 23-Michele Campagnaro

WALES
 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Sheepy10
15-Leigh Halfpenny; 14-George North, 13-Jonathan Davies, 12-Scott Williams, 11-Liam Williams; 10-Dan Biggar, 9-Rhys Webb; 1-Nicky Smith, 2-Ken Owens, 3-Samson Lee, 4-Jake Ball, 5-Alun Wyn Jones (captain); 6-Sam Warburton, 7-Justin Tipuric, 8-Ross Moriarty

Replacements: 16-Scott Baldwin, 17-Rob Evans, 18-Tomas Francis, 19-Cory Hill, 20-James King, 21-Gareth Davies, 22-Sam Davies, 23-Jamie Roberts

Last edited by Griff on Mon 23 Jan 2017, 8:59 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February

Post by munkian Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:58 am

marty2086 wrote:He's his own worst enemy at times, can see O'Shea giving the role to one of the younger players sometime soon if he keeps it up

Heaslip is certainly going to need a good game mind.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 Empty Re: 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

LordDowlais wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:I though JP Doyle had a magnificent game yesterday, he let the game flow and got all the crucial call correct. OK

JP Doyle is a very good referee and he always refs games to a very high standard, what I would give to have him in the Pro12. He is Irish after all.

You mean except for the calls he got wrong? Rolling Eyes

Marty, bugger off. OK

Unless you are going to say something constructive instead of constantly arguing don't bother. OK

Pot.kettle.black.

Sorry you feel offended that decisions went in your favour that shouldn't have

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

Never p-iss off an Irish ref! Had Parisse ears to listen, I'm sure all the Welsh boys were warning him about the pitfalls behind Doyle's back They have six ways to Sunday of getting back at you.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

munkian wrote:
marty2086 wrote:He's his own worst enemy at times, can see O'Shea giving the role to one of the younger players sometime soon if he keeps it up

If Heaslips gets selected

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:01 pm

munkian wrote:

Nah...not really. Sure weren't Italy beaten by Wales? Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:02 pm

marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:

Maybe he'll stand in for Murray? He might speed things up in that department.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:20 pm

SecretFly wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
munkian wrote:

Maybe he'll stand in for Murray?  He might speed things up in that department.

Get Bergamassco back from retirement Shocked
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:53 pm

Parisse looked back to his best but needs to keep a reign on his complaining. He really does have a reputation for winding up referees now, together with his love of holding up imaginary cards. He didn't help Italy at all yesterday when Wales started to get the upper hand.

Doyle is a pretty rubbish ref and had another confusing day at the office but it had no impact on the result - even if he was determined to block Italian defenders on the try-line Wink

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 12:58 pm

Cyril wrote:Parisse looked back to his best but needs to keep a reign on his complaining. He really does have a reputation for winding up referees now, together with his love of holding up imaginary cards. He didn't help Italy at all yesterday when Wales started to get the upper hand.

Doyle is a pretty rubbish ref and had another confusing day at the office but it had no impact on the result - even if he was determined to block Italian defenders on the try-line Wink

Now now Cyril! I've watched that back a few times to be sure (to be sure) and there was no way that the defender would have got to Davies even if the ref was not there!

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 06 Feb 2017, 1:30 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Well first week end over and Wales, i belive in the lead at top of the table.

Well done Wales But the game as just started, lets see who is in the lead at the end. Ale

The game finished yesterday evening Madge. Probably around 15:45.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 1:41 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Wonder if people still think Sam Davies shouldn't start over Biggar?

Of course he should. Sam Davies is clearly twice the footballer that Biggar is, but that's not enough. What's the obsession with casting away something useful long before its sell by date?

It's like the RoG/Sexton saga that went on for a while. I don't understand why you wouldn't start with Rog/Biggar, the structured, controlled player, to kick accurately when the game is tight in its early stages, and then bring the better footballer (Sexton/Sam Davies) off the bench when it's less structured, and more opportunity for footballing ability to be successful.

This becomes even more emphatic when you have an inexperienced player playing against a pack that is bigger and better than your own, and who is relatively slight to add. This fixation upon "throw him in, see how he does" is madness. You don't throw a child into the deep end of the swimming pool, and that's what Test match rugby is. Now, Davies isn't a child in the same way Keelan Giles was when there were calls to cap him, but why not give him the best chance to flourish? And whilst he's already swimming and showing promise in the big pool, that doesn't mean you ask him to swim lengths at a pace and intensity and under pressure he hasn't experienced before.

Start him on the bench. Scott Williams and Jonathan Davies will have a lot of defending on their hands in the first quarter. I'd rather he came on and was able to let those two open up a bit later in the game, when the English have tired as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 1:54 pm

Re: ref. Two big decisions: first the dump tackle where he drives Moriarty into the ground. I have no idea how that is only a penalty. Bemusing. Secondly, could easily have been a penalty for knocking the bal out of Liam Williams' hand at the end (and therefore penalty try, in the act of grounding the ball).

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:21 pm

miaow wrote:Re: ref. Two big decisions: first the dump tackle where he drives Moriarty into the ground. I have no idea how that is only a penalty. Bemusing. Secondly, could easily have been a penalty for knocking the bal out of Liam Williams' hand at the end (and therefore penalty try, in the act of grounding the ball).

I have no idea how that is only a penalty, I have seen plenty of those tackles in the last few years and they are never given

Yes the legs go above the horizontal but he drives him straight back and onto his back

For me it was textbook and safe

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:25 pm

Cyril wrote:Parisse looked back to his best but needs to keep a reign on his complaining. He really does have a reputation for winding up referees now, together with his love of holding up imaginary cards. He didn't help Italy at all yesterday when Wales started to get the upper hand.

He is bad but not too bad for an English ref. Though in fairness anyone would be better than Barnes.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:28 pm

marty2086 wrote:
miaow wrote:Re: ref. Two big decisions: first the dump tackle where he drives Moriarty into the ground. I have no idea how that is only a penalty. Bemusing. Secondly, could easily have been a penalty for knocking the bal out of Liam Williams' hand at the end (and therefore penalty try, in the act of grounding the ball).

I have no idea how that is only a penalty, I have seen plenty of those tackles in the last few years and they are never given

Yes the legs go above the horizontal but he drives him straight back and onto his back

I've seen plenty given as a penalty. Wales v Ireland (was it last year or the year before?) was a classic example and I think gave us a penalty to win the game? Most club games have these given as penalties. If the legs go above the horizontal it gets penalized, regardless of whether the player lands on his back, shoulder or neck. It's just the sanction that changes. Wayne Barnes did a video interview in the 6N warm up programme before the Scotland v Ireland game in the weekend and he said then that legs above the horizontal would be a penalty all day. Landing on the back (safely) but legs above horizontal = penalty; landing more on the shoulder/neck could or should be a yellow or even red. It's been reffed like this for years since the 2011 world cup when they first started tightening up on the tip tackles.

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:32 pm

Griff wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

I've seen plenty given as a penalty.  Wales v Ireland (was it last year or the year before?) was a classic example and I think gave us a penalty to win the game?  Most club games have these given as penalties.  If the legs go above the horizontal it gets penalized, regardless of whether the player lands on his back, shoulder or neck.  It's just the sanction that changes.  Wayne Barnes did a video interview in the 6N warm up programme before the Scotland v Ireland game in the weekend and he said then that legs above the horizontal would be a penalty all day.  Landing on the back (safely) but legs above horizontal = penalty; landing more on the shoulder/neck could or should be a yellow or even red.  It's been reffed like this for years since the 2011 world cup when they first started tightening up on the tip tackles.

When the citing commissioner reviewed that incident they ruled that Barnes had been incorrect to award a penalty and it was a fair tackle. Typical Barnes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/9070271/Six-Nations-2012-panel-said-Ireland-flanker-Stephen-Ferris-tackle-did-not-even-warrant-a-penalty.html

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:38 pm

Laugh

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:39 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:

He is bad but not too bad for an English ref. Though in fairness anyone would be better than Barnes.
Are there any good Irish referees? Even the Anglo-Irish ones are terrible.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

Cyril wrote:
GunsGermsV2 wrote:

Are there any good Irish referees? Even the Anglo-Irish ones are terrible.

The best one retired Alan Roland. Smile

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

Griff wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

I've seen plenty given as a penalty.  Wales v Ireland (was it last year or the year before?) was a classic example and I think gave us a penalty to win the game?  Most club games have these given as penalties.  If the legs go above the horizontal it gets penalized, regardless of whether the player lands on his back, shoulder or neck.  It's just the sanction that changes.  Wayne Barnes did a video interview in the 6N warm up programme before the Scotland v Ireland game in the weekend and he said then that legs above the horizontal would be a penalty all day.  Landing on the back (safely) but legs above horizontal = penalty; landing more on the shoulder/neck could or should be a yellow or even red.  It's been reffed like this for years since the 2011 world cup when they first started tightening up on the tip tackles.

Not the ones Ive seen, how many has Courtney Lawes alone done and not been punished and rightly so

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:
Griff wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

When the citing commissioner reviewed that incident they ruled that Barnes had been incorrect to award a penalty and it was a fair tackle. Typical Barnes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/ireland/9070271/Six-Nations-2012-panel-said-Ireland-flanker-Stephen-Ferris-tackle-did-not-even-warrant-a-penalty.html

5 years on now though, Guns. They're more strict on that rule now. Just like they're more strict on the high tackle now. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:14 pm

Christ on a bike, Ireland lose their opener to Scotland and we are getting it in the neck on this thread off them. Rolling Eyes

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:16 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Christ on a bike, Ireland lose their opener to Scotland and we are getting it in the neck on this thread off them. Rolling Eyes

They aren't called chippy because of their preferred cuisine.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

Who is attacking you, lads? I'll stand up for you!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

Griff wrote:

5 years on now though, Guns.  They're more strict on that rule now.  Just like they're more strict on the high tackle now. Smile

The rule hasnt changed. Ferris didnt tackle anyone beyond the horizontal for that tackle it was just a case of Barnes being a clown as usual.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:37 pm

Leg goes beyond horizontal. Pretty similar to May this weekend.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Feb 2017, 3:42 pm

marty2086 wrote:

What? In what textbook is that? You're specifically taught as a child that dump tackling is illegal.

To make matters worse he drives him- as you yourself have said- into the ground! There was a time when that was more heinous than letting go of the player mid tackle.

I think you're conflating 'holiding on' to the tackled player, which is safe, and tipping him above the horizontal, turning your shoulder so that it's facing the ground, and then driving the player from this position, with his back and your shoulder in a T shape.

It could easily have been a red, albeit it harsh, as it was 'good' technique in that he smashed him in the tackle. The problem was how he continued to drive him into the ground, and clearly with intent. Had Moriarty not clipped another Welsh player to stop the dump becoming a tip it would have been a very different outcome. How a card wasn't shown at all, I genuinely do not know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 06 Feb 2017, 10:24 pm

miaow wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

What? In what textbook is that? You're specifically taught as a child that dump tackling is illegal.

To make matters worse he drives him- as you yourself have said- into the ground! There was a time when that was more heinous than letting go of the player mid tackle.

I think you're conflating 'holiding on' to the tackled player, which is safe, and tipping him above the horizontal, turning your shoulder so that it's facing the ground, and then driving the player from this position, with his back and your shoulder in a T shape.

It could easily have been a red, albeit it harsh, as it was 'good' technique in that he smashed him in the tackle. The problem was how he continued to drive him into the ground, and clearly with intent. Had Moriarty not clipped another Welsh player to stop the dump becoming a tip it would have been a very different outcome. How a card wasn't shown at all, I genuinely do not know.

POPPYCOCK

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 07 Feb 2017, 8:20 am

Gwlad wrote:
miaow wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

POPPYCOCK
 6N 2017: Italy v Wales, 5 February - Page 7 1347041234
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7