The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

+32
aucklandlaurie
eirebilly
maestegmafia
catchweight
Kingshu
westisbest
wolfball
Hammersmith harrier
rumpelstiltskindoh
wales606
mid_gen
tigertattie
Heaf
Breadvan
Engine#4
profitius
George Carlin
Ninjarugby
Pot Hale
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGermsV2
geoff999rugby
marty2086
the-goon
The Great Aukster
Rory_Gallagher
Pete330v2
Scottrf
Golden
TightHEAD
SecretFly
rapidsnowman
36 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:49 pm

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Italee11 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Irelan10
ITALY v IRELAND
Date: Saturday 11 February 2017
Kick Off: 2:25pm (GMT)
Venue: Stadio Olimpico, Rome

TV Coverage: Live on ITV

Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Touch judges: Angus Gardner (Australia) & Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa)
TMO: Rowan Kitt (England)

Italy: 15-Edoardo Padovani, 14-Angelo Esposito, 13-Tommaso Benvenuti, 12-Luke Mclean, 11-Giovanbattista Venditti, 10-Carlo Canna, 9-Edoardo Gori; 1-Andrea Lovotti, 2-Leonardo Ghiraldini, 3-Lorenzo Cittadini, 4-Marco Fuser, 5-Andries Van Schalkwyk, 6-Maxime Mbanda, 7-Simone Favaro, 8-Sergio Parisse,

Replacements: 16-Ornel Gega, 17-Sami Panico, 18-Dario Chistolini, 19-George Biagi, 20-Abraham Steyn, 21-Giorgio Bronzini, 22-Tommaso Allan, 23-Michele Campagnaro.

Ireland: 15-Rob Kearney, 14-Keith Earls, 13-Garry Ringrose, 12-Robbie Henshaw, 11-Simon Zebo, 10-Paddy Jackson, 9-Conor Murray; 1-Cian Healy, 2-Rory Best (captain), 3-Tadhg Furlong, 4-Donnacha Ryan, 5-Devin Toner, 6-CJ Stander, 7-Sean O'Brien, 8-Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: 16-Niall Scannell, 17-Jack McGrath, 18-John Ryan, 19-Ultan Dillane, 20-Josh van der Flier, 21-Kieran Marmion, 22-Ian Keatley, 23-Craig Gilroy.

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Oh we're playing too at the weekend? I thought we had a rest week. Wink

I'm in the same camp as you, rapid - doing all that Match thread fancy stuff at the top (which now seems mandatory) is kinda more suited to other people.

But I'm glad we're playing. O'Shea's first win as a 6N coach.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:54 pm

To get the ball rolling.

Andy Farrell seemed unhappy with the 'mood' of the players in the first half against Scotland, they weren't 'enjoying' their defense and weren't getting back into the defensive line fast enough.

I expect they may have got somewhat of a rocket in training this week!

I don't think we can expect complacency against Italy.

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:59 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:To get the ball rolling.

Andy Farrell seemed unhappy with the 'mood' of the players in the first half against Scotland, they weren't 'enjoying' their defense and weren't getting back into the defensive line fast enough.

I expect they may have got somewhat of a rocket in training this week!

I don't think we can expect complacency against Italy.

Could Farrell put a finger on why?  Why they all seemed to be so off in terms of readiness to defend?  After all, he was with them all week, he'd be the one to guess the reasons why things didn't seem right then during the game.
Did anyone find out why the team were 15 minutes late to the game?  I heard the trip itself was short enough so why the lateness?

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by TightHEAD Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:25 pm

This thread took a long time to appear, not so Chippy now are we!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 6145
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 59
Location : Brexit Island.

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:29 pm

TightHEAD wrote:This thread took a long time to appear, not so Chippy now are we!

Yeah, at least we didn't get those Grand slam T-shirts printed - phew! Whistle

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:30 pm

Ouch!

That bad man wot be ganging up on us in our moment of vulnar...vullnere.... in our moment of tantrums has just showed up again.

Please let him vent. He seems to have had a very bad week before last weekend Wink

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:32 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:This thread took a long time to appear, not so Chippy now are we!

Yeah, at least we didn't get those Grand slam T-shirts printed - phew! Whistle

Whistle ............................................. well.................................................................

I might have printed a few hundred thousand or so..... but I think I can make the 7 into an 8 to save them!

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:35 pm

SecretFly wrote:Could Farrell put a finger on why?  Why they all seemed to be so off in terms of readiness to defend?  After all, he was with them all week, he'd be the one to guess the reasons why things didn't seem right then during the game.
Did anyone find out why the team were 15 minutes late to the game?  I heard the trip itself was short enough so why the lateness?

Don't think he suggested a reason. He said the 2nd half defense structures were no different than first half it is just they were carried out with e required intensity.

He seemed to put blame squarely on players Very Happy

In other news Tony Ward has suggested dropping Heaslip and going with a back row of 6. SOB 7. VDF and CJ at 8. That is assuming POM isn't fit.

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by TightHEAD Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 pm

I fancy Italy if the Irish are as predictable, slow and ponderous as they were last week.

If only The Italian 10 an 12 could catch and pass.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 6145
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 59
Location : Brexit Island.

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Golden Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm

I hope Ryan and VDF start for this one. We can release Henderson and SOB/POM with 30 to go when the Italians start to tire.

Whatever about the narrow defence, we need to be much better with ball in hand. We dominated possession and territory but could do nothing with it, just like the first half against Australia.

Hopefully Trimble is fit too so Bowe isnt on the bench. He has been well of the pace this season.

Golden

Posts : 3368
Join date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Scottrf Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Call me stupid, but I honestly think if they put together a full 80 minute performance, Ireland can do this.

Scottrf

Posts : 14268
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:23 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:
SecretFly wrote:Could Farrell put a finger on why?  Why they all seemed to be so off in terms of readiness to defend?  After all, he was with them all week, he'd be the one to guess the reasons why things didn't seem right then during the game.
Did anyone find out why the team were 15 minutes late to the game?  I heard the trip itself was short enough so why the lateness?

Don't think he suggested a reason. He said the 2nd half defense structures were no different than first half it is just they were carried out with e required intensity.

He seemed to put blame squarely on players Very Happy

In other news Tony Ward has suggested dropping Heaslip and going with a back row of 6. SOB 7. VDF and CJ at 8. That is assuming POM isn't fit.

Farrell claimed that what made him even angrier was the fact that when Cotter asked what he had changed for the second half his honest reply was absolutely nothing. I saw interviews with a couple of ex players (cannot remember who) who said that arriving late would have had an effect on the squad. The entire day is programmed and scheduled and 15 minutes going missing can have a profound effect on the preparedness of each individual.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:05 pm

I think this game coming must be the least anticipated game in the entire history of the 6N.

13 comments.

I hope it does pan out that it didn't need talking about. But if Italy do the business on us, they'll rightly feel we didn't 'pay them enough respect'.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Scottrf Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:18 pm

SecretFly wrote:I think this game coming must be the least anticipated game in the entire history of the 6N.  

13 comments.

I hope it does pan out that it didn't need talking about.  But if Italy do the business on us, they'll rightly feel we didn't 'pay them enough respect'.
It's because if Ireland don't turn up, Ireland still win. Italy have literally no chance.

Scottrf

Posts : 14268
Join date : 2011-01-27

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by TightHEAD Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Where have all the real Irish fans gone?

One loss and they've given up.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Posts : 6145
Join date : 2014-09-25
Age : 59
Location : Brexit Island.

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:34 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Where have all the real Irish fans gone?

One loss and they've given up.

Are you calling me not a real one, Tight?

Crying or Very sad I'm getting nothing but abuse on this site since I orchestrated Trump's perfectly fought campaign for him............

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Scottrf wrote:It's because if Ireland don't turn up.....

....it'll be the bus driver stuck in traffic again!

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 pm

TightHEAD wrote:Where have all the real Irish fans gone?

One loss and they've given up.

The real fans are still here talking B.S. Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:
Scottrf wrote:It's because if Ireland don't turn up.....

....it'll be the bus driver stuck in traffic again!

Oh the Irish lads have that covered this week.  They've already started the journey to the stadium.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:59 pm

SecretFly wrote:I think this game coming must be the least anticipated game in the entire history of the 6N.  

13 comments.

I hope it does pan out that it didn't need talking about.  But if Italy do the business on us, they'll rightly feel we didn't 'pay them enough respect'.

I just don't think there is a whole lot to discuss. The team will be the same as always, and I predict that Ireland will win without being overly flashy. Perhaps we may see a bit more from the likes of Ringrose, I guess.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm watching the team selection for this on a live facebook feed. I really do wonder as to the I.Q. of facebook rugby fans. Some are surprised the Joe is running late, others blaming Ringrose for our loss last week. Tubes

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:19 pm

Ireland XV:
15. Rob Kearney
14. Keith Earls
13. Garry Ringrose
12. Robbie Henshaw
11. Simon Zebo
10. Paddy Jackson
9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best (captain)
3. Tadhg Furlong
4. Donnacha Ryan
5. Devin Toner
6. CJ Stander
7. Sean O’Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip


Replacements:
16. Niall Scannell
17. Jack McGrath
18. John Ryan
19. Ultan Dillane
20. Josh van der Flier
21. Kieran Marmion
22. Ian Keatley
23. Craig Gilroy

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Golden Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Is Henderson injured? I was hoping Ryan would be back but presumed Henderson would take Dillane's place on the bench.

Golden

Posts : 3368
Join date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by The Great Aukster Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

Maybe Joe has realised that Henderson is actually a backrow rather than a lock?

The Great Aukster

Posts : 5246
Join date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by the-goon Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:29 pm

So henderson and bowe dropped from the squad completely then. Don't think Ultan did much when he came on, but he is the ultimate impact 2nd row, so it is understandable. Henderson didn't have a great game.

We need to win with a Bonus point here.

the-goon

Posts : 801
Join date : 2011-05-31

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Henderson hasn't really reached his usual standard at all this season for Ulster so I was just a little surprised to see him in the squad last week. He really does need to lift his game and get rid of whatever is holding him back if selections are to continue.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:38 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:Maybe Joe has realised that Henderson is actually a backrow rather than a lock?

I don't get this. Some of his best games have been in the second row for Ireland and some of his worst have been at blindside at Ulster. He needs to work on his line-out skills regardless of which he settles in. The reality is that with our back row depth, he doesn't have a chance to start at 6 for Ireland.

I still think he should be in the 23, given a chance to redeem himself. Even with a poor game by his standards, he is one of our best players and can match anyone else in physicality.

I'll take stick for this, but Ulster players are dropped fairly quickly after relatively poor games (McCloskey, Marshall, Henderson).

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I will say though that confidence seems to be low amongst the Ulster players and very few of them deserve to be in the team at the minute.

Rory_Gallagher

Posts : 11324
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 28
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by marty2086 Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:44 pm

the-goon wrote:So henderson and bowe dropped from the squad completely then. Don't think Ultan did much when he came on, but he is the ultimate impact 2nd row, so it is understandable. Henderson didn't have a great game.

We need to win with a Bonus point here.

Henderson injured his ankle apparently

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Yep Henderson injured although Ryan may well have been picked to give us a second jumper.

With a poor backrow (in terms of lineout) we struggled with only 1 top jumper on Saturday.

So Gilroy catapulated from Ulster A to the Irish bench Rolling Eyes

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4615
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:14 pm

Good to see Ryan back. I think he will make a big difference to the lineout. I wasn't that surprised that Ireland lost to Scotland at all. I will be shocked if we don't hammer Italy.

Anything less that a 20 point try bonus point win is a loss.

GunsGermsV2

Posts : 2550
Join date : 2016-11-15

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 pm

I agree Guns. There is really no room for excuses now. Big result required. Points based system and the first week lost means that gloves have to come off and Ireland have to prove that they are a few levels up from Italy.

I also like seeing Ryan in. Everyone will be expecting a win and a display of renewed ruthlessness. If it's rusty and edgy...................... we might have to get a Clock up and ticking. Whistle

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am

I'm glad Cian Healy is starting, purely from an eye candy perspective.

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 24458
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 42
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:50 am

laughing

It's the big bum, ain't it. And that cute intoedness.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 am

It's several things Smile

Luckless Pedestrian

Posts : 24458
Join date : 2011-02-01
Age : 42
Location : Newport

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pot Hale Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:12 am

TightHEAD wrote:This thread took a long time to appear, not so Chippy now are we!


Who was being chippy and about what?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Posts : 7304
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 59
Location : Dublin, Ireland

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Ninjarugby Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:52 pm

I never usually post but with last weeks result and the need for a try bonus point this weekend I think it would be a great opportunity to introduce Tiernan O Halloran on an Italian side that should be pretty tired by 60 minutes or so. If we play to our ability the game should be won by then and if we do not have the 4th try O Halloran would be ideal for this type of game if the game starts to break up a little. With Earls/Zebo on either side of him he has plenty of experience. Lets face it he won't be on the bench for the last 3 games if the backs stay fit so it would be a great opportunity to get him some experience.

That is of course unless he's injured.
I think the tournament will be won on bonus pts this year and possibly even pts difference so its a big game to get some points on the board.
Sets it up very interesting if France beat Scot and Eng/Wales draw.

Ninjarugby

Posts : 63
Join date : 2014-05-05

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by rapidsnowman Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:53 pm

Only problem is Ninja, the team is already picked and he ain't in it.

Craig 'Ulster A team' Gilroy is the man to come off the bench and chase that elusive 4th try... Cool

Actually Gilroy does offer something a bit different from the other wings and is probably more deserving of a bench spot than Bowe. If he does come on I hope he does well.

rapidsnowman

Posts : 459
Join date : 2011-09-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:20 pm

rapidsnowman wrote:Only problem is Ninja, the team is already picked and he ain't in it.

Craig 'Ulster A team' Gilroy is the man to come off the bench and chase that elusive 4th try... Cool

Actually Gilroy does offer something a bit different from the other wings and is probably more deserving of a bench spot than Bowe. If he does come on I hope he does well.

Gilroy hasn't had that elusive touch for a while now but to be fair he's in the right club for losing his touch, most of our players have lost their touch. Ulster will return to form tonight though with the introduction of Marcel Coetzee at long last Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by geoff999rugby Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:32 pm

Gilroy indicates to me what I have thought for a long time - there is a lack of both depth and class in the back three.
Ireland have no stand out back three players.

Hope Bryne and Sweetnam prove to be the real deal.

geoff999rugby

Posts : 4615
Join date : 2012-01-20

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Indeed Geoff. Tonight would have been the perfect opportunity for Gilroy to make a comeback at Ravenhill but instead he is elevated to the international side, much in the same way Bowe was last week. It's worrying to say the least as there are surely better 'in form' players available.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Ninjarugby Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Would you agree that this could/should be the last 6 Nations for the Kearney bros., Bowe and possibly Trimble. The guys being blooded on the summer tour should be pushing for starting spots next year. That only gives them just over a year until Japan. If we are to have 3 players for each position it has to start now and giving TOH a bench spot albeit instead of Gilroy was a good opportunity tomorrow.

That said Gilroy has a chance tomorrow to stake a claim on the bench for the France game but if Trimble probably back for that game that probably wont happen.

If we get a result tomorrow and IF Sexton/POM come back then we have a decent chance to have a good crack at the French and then move on.
France will be a different beast this year and should have beaten Eng last week. Fra/Sco will be a very interesting game.

Ninjarugby

Posts : 63
Join date : 2014-05-05

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by marty2086 Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:55 pm

Ninjarugby wrote:Would you agree that this could/should be the last 6 Nations for the Kearney bros., Bowe and possibly Trimble. The guys being blooded on the summer tour should be pushing for starting spots next year. That only gives them just over a year until Japan. If we are to have 3 players for each position it has to start now and giving TOH a bench spot albeit instead of Gilroy was a good opportunity tomorrow.

That said Gilroy has a chance tomorrow to stake a claim on the bench for the France game but if Trimble probably back for that game that probably wont happen.

If we get a result tomorrow and IF Sexton/POM come back then we have a decent chance to have a good crack at the French and then move on.
France will be a different beast this year and should have beaten Eng last week. Fra/Sco will be a very interesting game.

We have a good chance to beat them without Sexton and POM

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by SecretFly Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:04 pm

There is always a good chance. That's the fecking problem. I'd prefer more foregone conclusions - I'd prefer to be able to print up the GS winner shirts before the contest starts. Whistle Call me greedy, but I'd prefer have more confidence in Ireland to be Ireland. But every day is different for those boys.

SecretFly

Posts : 31800
Join date : 2011-12-13

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by marty2086 Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:42 pm

Shocked picard

Ireland skipper Rory Best will miss today's captain's run in Rome with a stomach bug.

The hooker has not been ruled out of tomorrow's Six Nations clash with Italy and the Ireland camp say they are hopeful the 101-cap forward will be fit to start.

Munster's Niall Scannell is named as the replacement hooker and would be in line for his first cap should Best be ruled out.

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm

"Would you agree that this could/should be the last 6 Nations for the Kearney bros., Bowe and possibly Trimble"

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out Andy Trimble who's still in rampaging form and is still a strong asset to any side, Kearney probably has another 6 nations in him but Bowe doesn't. Bowe has an ongoing problem that's not going to go away so he may well be consigned to the Ulster shirt for now on. Dave Kearney may show some good form and the seeming paucity of back 3 players may force the hand on that.

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Pete330v2 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 pm

marty2086 wrote: Shocked  picard

Ireland skipper Rory Best will miss today's captain's run in Rome with a stomach bug.

The hooker has not been ruled out of tomorrow's Six Nations clash with Italy and the Ireland camp say they are hopeful the 101-cap forward will be fit to start.

Munster's Niall Scannell is named as the replacement hooker and would be in line for his first cap should Best be ruled out.

Besty comes from good farming stock, he'll throw that off overnight Smile

Pete330v2

Posts : 4081
Join date : 2012-05-04

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Golden Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:54 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote: Shocked  picard

Ireland skipper Rory Best will miss today's captain's run in Rome with a stomach bug.

The hooker has not been ruled out of tomorrow's Six Nations clash with Italy and the Ireland camp say they are hopeful the 101-cap forward will be fit to start.

Munster's Niall Scannell is named as the replacement hooker and would be in line for his first cap should Best be ruled out.

Besty comes from good farming stock, he'll throw that off overnight Smile


With his throwing last week I wouldnt be so sure...... Whistle

Who is third choice Tracy or Herring?

Golden

Posts : 3368
Join date : 2011-09-06

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by marty2086 Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Golden wrote:
Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote: Shocked  picard

Ireland skipper Rory Best will miss today's captain's run in Rome with a stomach bug.

The hooker has not been ruled out of tomorrow's Six Nations clash with Italy and the Ireland camp say they are hopeful the 101-cap forward will be fit to start.

Munster's Niall Scannell is named as the replacement hooker and would be in line for his first cap should Best be ruled out.

Besty comes from good farming stock, he'll throw that off overnight Smile


With his throwing last week I wouldnt be so sure...... Whistle

Who is third choice Tracy or Herring?

Tracy, Herrings injured

marty2086

Posts : 11208
Join date : 2011-05-13
Age : 35
Location : Belfast

Back to top Go down

6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February Empty Re: 6 Nations 2017: Italy v Ireland, 11th February

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum