The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The first player on Gatlands team

+37
cascough
LondonTiger
Cyril
wayne
propdavid_london
The Great Aukster
chris_501
Tattie Scones RRN
Hammersmith harrier
Rory_Gallagher
Winzer
R!skysports
BamBam
beshocked
RuggerRadge2611
marty2086
No 7&1/2
RugbyFan100
pbuk0
GunsGermsV2
nathan
TJ
InjuredYetAgain
WELL-PAST-IT
Scottrf
international198
rodders
Brad71090
rapidsnowman
hugehandoff
geoff999rugby
Gwlad
TightHEAD
BigTrevsbigmac
tigertattie
SecretFly
alive555
41 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

The first player on Gatlands team - Page 4 Empty The first player on Gatlands team

Post by alive555 Mon 13 Feb - 7:39

First topic message reminder :

Its Stuart Hogg

no question whatsoever

alive555

Back to top Go down

The first player on Gatlands team - Page 4 Empty Re: The first player on Gatlands team

Post by SecretFly Fri 17 Feb - 2:01

Scottrf wrote:He was talking about Martin Johnson, Gavin Hastings, Brian O'Driscoll and Gareth Edwards ...
It's there in the nested quote.

A Chancer, a waffler, a coward and an overrated player?

Where's the Lions Greats was the question. Whistle Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

The first player on Gatlands team - Page 4 Empty Re: The first player on Gatlands team

Post by rodders Fri 17 Feb - 2:02

Scottrf wrote:He was talking about Martin Johnson, Gavin Hastings, Brian O'Driscoll and Gareth Edwards ...

Those fella's know what side their bread is buttered on for sure.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 17 Feb - 2:07

wayne wrote:
Yeh that's why 4 Lion greats are selecting him. Why I'm conversing with you I don't know, you really are not worth the bother.

Being a great player doesn't make you a great judge of player and it's an odd stance to hold. Another Lions great in Jeremy Guscott wouldn't have him in the XV but I'm guessing that his opinion doesn't matter as it differs to yours.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Fri 17 Feb - 2:53

R!skysports wrote:
cascough wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:The remaining 6N fixtures will no doubt change opinion on possible lions selections.  
England have the perceptively weaker Italy up next at home, while Scotland play Wales and Ireland play France.

Any Stirling performances by Scots, Welsh and Irish will enhance their Lions prospects.
For England players and previously Irish - the match against Italy is a bit of a banana skin.  A bad performance against a perceived weak Italy could really knock close contenders out of the Lions running.

Italy aren't perceptively weak. Look at their results, they are demonstrably weak. It's a big difference.

I don't say that out of mere pedantry, I think it's pertinent to a Lions discussion.

Lots of people get excited about Scottish players even though they have lost so so many games over the last few years. Scotland, currently, as with Italy are a demonstrably poor team. The list of Scotland players that people are getting excited about is seemingly growing. Now to a degree I understand why this is happening, especially after their excellent result against Ireland. But given the championship is not over yet, that could still be a false dawn for Scotland and a mere bump in the road for Ireland.

I personally want to win against NZ. So I've very little time for romantic or nationalistic picks. I said before the tournament that given the autumns the teams had I would be entirely in favour of a lions XV made out of entirely Ireland players, or one made out of entirely England players. Both of those teams demonstrated that they have what it takes to win.

Obviously Ireland have had a little bump in the road and depending on which way the rest of the tournament goes I may have to reevaluate just how good I think those teams are. What I see a lot of on here though is people trying to champion who should play for the Lions, and very little of it is based on actual results or performance. Finn Russell is an example I've used before. People pick him because they like the notion of a running fly half, or he's eye catching and has a lovely pass. Forget the fact that in a test match he is flakey, has questionable temperament and game management and contributes to a teams failings. Odd

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHH

why do people keep bringing up Russel to tell us Scots that we are deluded that the player of last 6 nations, one of the form 15's in the world, the one playing in the Champion Cup knock out stages, who has already scored 3 tries and the one most impartial pundits are saying it is his to lose

WE HAVE ALREADY SAID RUSSEL IS UNLIKELY TO GO

Please stop going back to that one time and time again

Okay, Russell being unlikely to go and whether or not people think he should go are 2 different things, but I'll assume you mean to say that you have already said Russell shouldn't go.

Russell is still being touted, on here and all over other forms of social media.

Russell is just one example, there are others creeping in. I've heard Hamish Watson, Laidlaw, Nel, Fagerson et al.

As well as just being part of a generally poor team achieving poor results in recent history there are other silly picks. One mentioned today was Sam Davies. Now Wales have obviously been pretty decent in recent history but Sam Davies is a player who hasn't been a part of it and has achieved precisely squat on the international stage.

Re your reference to Hogg, there may well be exceptions, but they should be just that. Some people would be taking half the Scottish team and so I can only assume they must think the other half are absolutely hopeless (to explain Scotlands results over the last few years) or perhaps the half they are picking just aren't that good and they are picking favourites?

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 17 Feb - 4:07

BOD has no place in that list, especially in Lions terms

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Feb - 4:46

Arguably one of the best centres of all time.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 17 Feb - 5:06

No 7&1/2 wrote:Arguably one of the best centres of all time.
I like rolos.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri 17 Feb - 19:42

Prefer munchies but each to their own.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 17 Feb - 23:19

R!skysports wrote:
cascough wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:The remaining 6N fixtures will no doubt change opinion on possible lions selections.  
England have the perceptively weaker Italy up next at home, while Scotland play Wales and Ireland play France.

Any Stirling performances by Scots, Welsh and Irish will enhance their Lions prospects.
For England players and previously Irish - the match against Italy is a bit of a banana skin.  A bad performance against a perceived weak Italy could really knock close contenders out of the Lions running.

Italy aren't perceptively weak. Look at their results, they are demonstrably weak. It's a big difference.

I don't say that out of mere pedantry, I think it's pertinent to a Lions discussion.

Lots of people get excited about Scottish players even though they have lost so so many games over the last few years. Scotland, currently, as with Italy are a demonstrably poor team. The list of Scotland players that people are getting excited about is seemingly growing. Now to a degree I understand why this is happening, especially after their excellent result against Ireland. But given the championship is not over yet, that could still be a false dawn for Scotland and a mere bump in the road for Ireland.

I personally want to win against NZ. So I've very little time for romantic or nationalistic picks. I said before the tournament that given the autumns the teams had I would be entirely in favour of a lions XV made out of entirely Ireland players, or one made out of entirely England players. Both of those teams demonstrated that they have what it takes to win.

Obviously Ireland have had a little bump in the road and depending on which way the rest of the tournament goes I may have to reevaluate just how good I think those teams are. What I see a lot of on here though is people trying to champion who should play for the Lions, and very little of it is based on actual results or performance. Finn Russell is an example I've used before. People pick him because they like the notion of a running fly half, or he's eye catching and has a lovely pass. Forget the fact that in a test match he is flakey, has questionable temperament and game management and contributes to a teams failings. Odd

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHH

why do people keep bringing up Russel to tell us Scots that we are deluded that the player of last 6 nations, one of the form 15's in the world, the one playing in the Champion Cup knock out stages, who has already scored 3 tries and the one most impartial pundits are saying it is his to lose

WE HAVE ALREADY SAID RUSSEL IS UNLIKELY TO GO

Please stop going back to that one time and time again

Yeah but do we need yet another fly half on the tour?

Run

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 18 Feb - 1:20

By the mumblings coming from Gatland, Warburton is on the plane and in the starting lineup already.

"He's been outstanding in the first couple of games in the way he's competed (at the break-down) and brought physicality," picard

"New Zealand have got three or four open-sides that are very strong at the break-down and you've got to be able to have someone who can do that," picard
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Feb - 1:51

TightHEAD wrote:By the mumblings coming from Gatland, Warburton is on the plane and in the starting lineup already.

"He's been outstanding in the first couple of games in the way he's competed (at the break-down) and brought physicality,"   picard

"New Zealand have got three or four open-sides that are very strong at the break-down and you've got to be able to have someone who can do that," picard

Maybe we should bring Tom Wood, picard Robshaw picard or Haskell picard instead.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 18 Feb - 1:58

Gwlad wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:By the mumblings coming from Gatland, Warburton is on the plane and in the starting lineup already.

"He's been outstanding in the first couple of games in the way he's competed (at the break-down) and brought physicality,"   picard

Maybe we should bring Tom Wood, picard Robshaw picard or Haskell picard instead.

All three have beaten the All Blacks, so I'd go with Robshaw and Haskell.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Feb - 2:16

TightHEAD wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

All three have beaten the All Blacks, so I'd go with Robshaw and Haskell.

None are victorious Lions captains, or even Lions at all.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 18 Feb - 2:22

Cool. Cuthbert on the wing then.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 18 Feb - 2:57

Did Warburton not injured on the Last Lions?

Surely we cannot afford to take some one who will break easy?

We need some one made of sterner stuff.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 18 Feb - 4:31

majesticimperialman wrote:Did Warburton not injured on the Last Lions?

Surely we cannot afford to take some one who will  break easy?

We need some one made of sterner stuff.

Haskell? Billy V? Mako ? Kruis? Or maybe Dylan assuming he isn't suspended (as if right?)

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4