The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brook v Spence Jr

+24
Herman Jaeger
Rodney
bhb001
Pedro147
owen10ozzy
mobilemaster8
AdamT
Dylan1979
themadworldofjb
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
Hammersmith harrier
milkyboy
hogey
Mr Bounce
Baby faced assassin
EX7EY
hazharrison
irishbrads
Jermaine2015
BoxingFan88
catchweight
melv500
Kareem61
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Brook v Spence Jr - Page 3 Empty Brook v Spence Jr

Post by Kareem61 Mon 13 Feb 2017, 9:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Eddie Hearn has confirmed that Kell Brook will defend his IBF title against Errol Spence Jr. How's this one gonna go down and what does a win do for Brook? Bramall Lane is being touted as a likely venue and as a Blade I'm hoping to get to this one!

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Brook v Spence Jr - Page 3 Empty Re: Brook v Spence Jr

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:50 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:
AdamT wrote:If Brook were to win and go on and beat Thurman, he would rank high in recent times for the UK.

Most of his opposition has been a bit lacklustre, but Porter, GGG and now Spence are big names. Looks like he is now looking to make a stamp on his career and make some big money.

Id say GGG is the only big name.  Porter was a world champ, but had only beaten Maliganaggi before fighting Brook.  Since gone on to scrape past Broner and a loss to Thurman.

GGG was a mismatch.

Spence is a talent and a name in the hardcore circle, but certainly not a big name if your comparing to Bradley, Marquez, Khan, Pacquiao, Garcia, Thurman etc.

Although this will be his toughest fight - taking into consideration his eye and dropping in weight. Will be a tough night but great win if he can pull it off.

Spence isn't a big name.........Brook is coming off a comprehensive loss however Hearn and team Brook try to revise history..

Certainly the final nail in the non PPV market.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 29 Mar 2017, 11:57 am

Bit harsh on porter, would agree he's not a 'name', but he beat broner easily despite a late wobble. The Thurman fight was razor close. To be fair I think the brook fight was closer than the judges had it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 29 Mar 2017, 12:12 pm

Big name maybe isn't the right words, but Porter was a good win.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 12:30 pm

AdamT wrote:Big name maybe isn't the right words, but Porter was a good win.
Yeh agree with that. Although in a stacked division, is beating Porter and Spence....after a 10 year career and over 35 fights....really THAT great? If we compare to the likes of Froch.....Khan.....etc....

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:49 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:
Yeh agree with that. Although in a stacked division, is beating Porter and Spence....after a 10 year career and over 35 fights....really THAT great? If we compare to the likes of Froch.....Khan.....etc....

Khan? Has Khan ever beaten anyone as good as Porter? Khan's best win is Devon Alexander isn't it?

I don't think Brook will win against Spence. I saw a lot of posturing regarding VADA but didn't see anything to say Spence was on board with it.

Spence looks a bit special and with super sonic conditioning, he should be able to outpoint Brook. The Golovkin walloping is key for me. I'd have favoured Brook before that one but hey, good old Eddie made some dough out of it (and stuck it to the Eubanks) so who cares?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:54 pm

hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:
Yeh agree with that. Although in a stacked division, is beating Porter and Spence....after a 10 year career and over 35 fights....really THAT great? If we compare to  the likes of Froch.....Khan.....etc....

Khan? Has Khan ever beaten anyone as good as Porter? Khan's best win is Devon Alexander isn't it?

I don't think Brook will win against Spence. I saw a lot of posturing regarding VADA but didn't see anything to say Spence was on board with it.

Spence looks a bit special and with super sonic conditioning, he should be able to outpoint Brook. The Golovkin walloping is key for me. I'd have favoured Brook before that one but hey, good old Eddie made some dough out of it (and stuck it to the Eubanks) so who cares?

Making money is what Boxing is about....Sorry to break it to you..

As GGG v Brook made a lot of money I guess people care....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:59 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:
Yeh agree with that. Although in a stacked division, is beating Porter and Spence....after a 10 year career and over 35 fights....really THAT great? If we compare to  the likes of Froch.....Khan.....etc....

Making money for who? If Brook catches a defeat to Spence, he's knackered. Taking a payday against Golovkin could reduce his overall career earnings if he's now beaten by Spence. My point is, it was short-term money grabbing putting Brook into a fight he had no chance of winning.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:04 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

Making money for who? If Brook catches a defeat to Spence, he's knackered. Taking a payday against Golovkin could reduce his overall career earnings if he's now beaten by Spence. My point is, it was short-term money grabbing putting Brook into a fight he had no chance of winning.

The chances of him getting a fight ending injury were slim......History is full of fighters rising in weight......It secured his and his loved ones future too...

He earned what 3 million for a fight that if he lost he could keep his title anyway.

Smart move in my opinion.......You are always moaning fighters aren't ambitious enough !!.......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

The chances of him getting a fight ending injury were slim......History is full of fighters rising in weight......It secured his and his loved ones future too...

He earned what 3 million for a fight that if he lost he could keep his title anyway.

Smart move in my opinion.......You are always moaning fighters aren't ambitious enough !!.......

You can't fault the likes of Brook (or Khan) for ambition but you can fault the promoter. He fed his man to the lions just to save a date and pi55 off the Eubanks (and to pocket another PPV payday). Brrok never had a chance in that fight - Hearn and everyone else knew it, too.

Had he matched Brook with Spence (and Kell had won) he'd have been lining up Thurman or Pacquiao now. Fights he had a chance in that would have earned him good purses and enhanced his legacy.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

You can't fault the likes of Brook (or Khan) for ambition but you can fault the promoter. He fed his man to the lions just to save a date and pi55 off the Eubanks (and to pocket another PPV payday). Brrok never had a chance in that fight - Hearn and everyone else knew it, too.

Had he matched Brook with Spence (and Kell had won) he'd have been lining up Thurman or Pacquiao now. Fights he had a chance in that would have earned him good purses and enhanced his legacy.

He asked Brook and Brook said Yes......If he'd lost to Spence first he wouldn't have had a 3 million pay day with GGG....

You don't know if Brook thought he had no chance or Hearn for that matter.........It's just biased supposition because you don't like him.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

He asked Brook and Brook said Yes......If he'd lost to Spence first he wouldn't have had a 3 million pay day with GGG....

You don't know if Brook thought he had no chance or Hearn for that matter.........It's just biased supposition because you don't like him.....

Of course Brook thought he had a chance, he's a fighter. And if Hearn did, then he's a poor judge. Anyone with half a brain knew Golovkin would be too big.

Brook vs Spence is PPV. He'll earn a few million from that no doubt. Had he beaten Spence (instead of facing Golovkin) he'd be earning great money against Thurman, Garcia, Pacquiao et al.

He's now in a position where, if he loses this he's done. Was he in that position before? Perhaps (based on how long he'd been in no man's land) but now he's carrying a dodgy eye and having to drop down in weight after bulking up (for an ultimately pointless exercise).

The Golovkin fight may have earned them a payday but it wasn't good for his career prospects. If Spence whups him, there'll be people on here claiming Brook was always average.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:25 pm

Brook vs GGG: $5mil

Thurman vs Garcia: $2mil each

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:27 pm

hazharrison wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:

Id hold Maidana in higher regard.....Alexander as well.

Yes he has lost a few - but against Garcia/Alvarez there is no shame.....

At least he is getting in and fighting these guys.

Hope Brook beats Spence and unifies, then he can be regarded

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:28 pm

Porter beat Alexander before their respective fights.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:29 am

Managed to get tickets to this and with Groves and the white rhino added to the bill I'm looking forward to it. This will be my first boxing event so good it delivers! Anyone else going?

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

Kareem61 wrote:Managed to get tickets to this and with Groves and the white rhino added to the bill I'm looking forward to it. This will be my first boxing event so good it delivers! Anyone else going?

Yes mate. Think Groves could get iced here. Great event for your first card.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:44 am

Think it will be a top night this one. Looking forward to it more than AJ vs Klit. Wish I could go!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

Yep 2 potentially cracking fights... great choice kareem.

I picked benn McClellan for mine... I'm largely an armchair fan... on the strength of the undercard (as a back up for an expected early finish of the main event). Turns out the undercard was a damp squib. A totally shot honeyghan got rolled by Dodson, who was highly thought of but went on to do no nothing. An archaic mike mccallum laboured through the motions. But got to see some legends and the main event... almost over in a minute, tragic ending, frank Bruno in a bright orange suit banging on the ring apron (we were in the gods but it was like a tango advert)... definitely an 'I was there' fight.

And nobody who visited the London arena ever forgets the nightmare of trying to get a cab home from the middle of nowhere.

It was an experience, hope yours is too Kareem... brook spence should be a belter.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:06 pm

Not a bad one as a starter Milky certainly more glamorous than mine - Eubank bombed out a spanish waiter Barrvetabena at Whitley Bay Ice rink in about 40 seconds.. Hope you enjoy it Kareem, should be two cracking fights.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:05 pm

Great to start off with Kareem. Great main event. Not too sure what its like in a football ground - the atmosphere at the MEN or Nottingham FM are second to none.

Hope it a great night for you.

Only managed to attend around 3 fights myself, the price nowadays seems MASSIVE although seen the prices for the Spence fight were very reasonable.

Enjoy, you wont forget your first ;-)

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 21 Apr 2017, 3:11 pm

Your local nights should be good too. a lot of the smaller promoters are dropping their prices to 20 quid for cheapest tickets (*cough* cheers Kieran *cough* *cough*) and as they're in smaller venues there's not a massive difference in the view (especially at Bowlers).

Amateur nights can be good too and can range from as little as a couple of quid up to about a tenner

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 21 Apr 2017, 6:08 pm

WSB is great value - £20 a card and you're getting competitive fights between the world's best amateurs. Most small hall shows involve local lads slapping about Lithuanian Grandads.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 22 Apr 2017, 9:13 am

That's why you look for the ones with British opposition Haz. There's quite often some decent upsets on the cards and every once in a while you may get to see someone special starting off. (I wouldn't pay more than 25 quid for a ticket though tbh).

amateurs is good, but can be a bit hit and miss sometimes due to the judging but then again I'm a bit harsher these days as i've seen some terrible decisions but on the plus side seen some fantastic bouts from skill all the way up too elite.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 17 May 2017, 8:28 pm

Brook looking in terrific shape:

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-kell-brook-jacked-training-beast-mode-spence--116664

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 18 May 2017, 12:18 am

I think Brook will struggle at 147 he looked great at middleweight and 147 was a struggle before GGG..Think he will be worried when he gets popped on the eye...It is human nature..

I hope Spence wins but I like Brook and I hope if he loses he has success at 154..

Worried about that eye though..You don't spar with fighting gloves.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 18 May 2017, 2:56 pm

I fancy this to be a cracker for the first half of the fight and then i reckon Brook will take over and stop Spence late 10th-11th maybe. I have a feeling the timing and accuracy of his big shots will wear Spence down as the fight goes on.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Thu 18 May 2017, 4:30 pm

I like Brook and want him to win but I just think the weight is too big an issue. As his last fight was at MW he admitted himself his weight was higher than ever at start of training. Spence is decent and I just think he will take over and maybe stop him late. Brook never had the best engine either so all weighed up I have to favour Spence. Hope I'm wrong and will be cheering on Kell.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by Baby faced assassin Thu 18 May 2017, 4:59 pm

I agree, think he looks great but he'll find it hard to squeeze down to 147lbs....will take a lot out of him and Spence is a tremendous body puncher

Think he is the better fighter for the opening 6-8 rounds, maybe hurting Spence (Spence hamstring really been in with anyone like him) but he will slow and Spence could stop him late
Baby faced assassin
Baby faced assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 18 May 2017, 9:49 pm

I like Spence but Brook has excellent form against southpaws.

Random aside: went to the open workouts at York Hall last night and Floyd wandered past me (there was only about 50 people there). He told me that he definitely wasn't top ten all time (and was way behind Joe Louis).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 19 May 2017, 12:03 am

Brook gonna get wiped out. Won't be surprised to see the towel thrown in again.

Brook has no chance at 154.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 19 May 2017, 3:15 am

God you're boring Jermaine, do us all a favour and die please buddy.

Kell looks in top condition and I'm really hoping that this a classic. Champion with something still to prove against a young and hungry upstart with skills to burn. Got the makings of a great fight and a few sherbets before it kicks off should enhance the evening!

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 19 May 2017, 8:35 am

Kareem61 wrote:God you're boring Jermaine, do us all a favour and die please buddy.

Kell looks in top condition and I'm really hoping that this a classic. Champion with something still to prove against a young and hungry upstart with skills to burn. Got the makings of a great fight and a few sherbets before it kicks off should enhance the evening!
Shut up you bottom feeder. Go suck Brook's nuts, because after Spence puts him in coma that's the only Brook will get his jollies. 12 year career for a bum like Brook and only two top 10 welterweights on his cv

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 May 2017, 8:46 am

Yes I bet bums like Brook look up to people like you all the time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 19 May 2017, 9:41 am

Jermaine2015 wrote:
Kareem61 wrote:God you're boring Jermaine, do us all a favour and die please buddy.

Shut up you bottom feeder. Go suck Brook's nuts, because after Spence puts him in coma that's the only Brook will get his jollies. 12 year career for a bum like Brook and only two top 10 welterweights on his cv

What a sickening comment to make.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 19 May 2017, 9:49 am

Jesus christ Jermaine has he been having it off with your missus or something.

No matter what names he's got on his record, surely you have to admit Spence is a dangerous fight for him (or is he another bum) in which case Brook should be getting some credit for taking it. Maybe a bit late for your liking but better late than never.

Plus I'm pretty sure we could make a case for every boxer picking and choosing opponents at times so that must stress you out no end. Why do you watch again?

(no need for the personals though Kareem, your better than that)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:09 am

Derbymanc wrote:Jesus christ Jermaine has he been having it off with your missus or something.

No matter what names he's got on his record, surely you have to admit Spence is a dangerous fight for him (or is he another bum) in which case Brook should be getting some credit for taking it. Maybe a bit late for your liking but better late than never.

Plus I'm pretty sure we could make a case for every boxer picking and choosing opponents at times so that must stress you out no end. Why do you watch again?

(no need for the personals though Kareem, your better than that)
Why should Brook get credit for fighting Spence? It is a mandatory fight. Brook was happy to have fights with Gavin, Dan and Bizier. When it came to Spence, Brook spouuted rubbish about not getting up for the fight or there being no money is the fight.

Brook is the most pathetic 'champion', claims to want to fight X, Y, and Z,yet his life ambition is to fight Amir Khan, whom has zero credibility at welterweight.

Spence will be the best he's fought at welterweight in 37 bouts. Only Porter is a notable win on his CV.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:10 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes I bet bums like Brook look up to people like you all the time.
Run along Truss...

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:14 am

Jermaine2015 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Yes I bet bums like Brook look up to people like you all the time.
Run along Truss...

You seem both angry and resentful...

Tis a consummation not devoutly to be wished..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 19 May 2017, 10:43 am

You do realise that Khan will earn him the most money don't you? and ultimately most of these boxers go for the big money as it ain't fun getting punched in the head for peanuts.

Brook could have done what many others have (and will continue) to do and side stepped Spence and if memory serves it was Eddie that came up with that, not Brook, in fact i'm pretty sure Brook told Eddie they'd be taking it.

Brook should be getting credit for getting in the ring with GGG, Porter and Spence, all dangerous fights, all that he's agreed to take (unless an injury card gets pulled).

Are you sure your not whatsisname back under an assumed name as he hated Eddie Hearn with as much passion as you do Brook

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 19 May 2017, 10:53 am

Derby, Jermaine is GerrySA.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 19 May 2017, 10:56 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Derby, Jermaine is GerrySA.

Would explain the racism....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 19 May 2017, 11:01 am

I forgot about him, explains a lot

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by melv500 Fri 19 May 2017, 11:05 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
Jermaine2015 wrote:

What a sickening comment to make.

Agree. Boxing has no place for comments like that.

melv500

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 26 May 2017, 9:56 am

Spence looks drained..

Changed my mind.. Brook ko 7

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 10:06 am

he has plenty of time to hydrate.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 May 2017, 10:08 am

It's an IBF title fight so he can only rehydrate 10lbs over night which becomes a problem.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 26 May 2017, 10:27 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It's an IBF title fight so he can only rehydrate 10lbs over night which becomes a problem.

True, but I have read that Brook followed a keto diet. Remember he was 13 stone not too long ago. He might look good now, but I think he will suffer stamina issues later.

Anyway I still think Spence stops him.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 26 May 2017, 10:30 am

Will spence need to see his gynocologist to come in at the right weight Very Happy

Looking forward to this one.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 26 May 2017, 3:08 pm

Both weighed in on point. Brook looks absolutely super pumped and had Spence looking very taken back. Cant wait for this one. FOTY for me coming up.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 26 May 2017, 3:11 pm

AdamT wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:It's an IBF title fight so he can only rehydrate 10lbs over night which becomes a problem.

True, but I have read that Brook followed a keto diet. Remember he was 13 stone not too long ago. He might look good now, but I think he will suffer stamina issues later.

Anyway I still think Spence stops him.

Spence isn't exactly small at the weight himself and there's nothing to suggest he can last the pace himself whereas Brook does have the Porter fight where he ended the stronger of the two.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next