The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fedal as a Team

+3
timex please
hawkeye
Haddie-nuff
7 posters

Go down

Fedal as a Team Empty Fedal as a Team

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Feb 2017, 12:43 pm

http://www.eurosport.com/tennis/expert-view-would-a-roger-federer-and-rafael-nadal-doubles-dream-team-really-work_sto6070346/story.shtml

Is it time that the Fedal fans united? .. would this be a dream team? would it work? Fed seams to think so.
Your reasons for believing it would.. or not.. would make for an interesting debate

The idea of fans being on the same side of the net would be a novelty at any rate  Wink

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Fedal as a Team Empty Re: Fedal as a Team

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Feb 2017, 4:23 pm

Jeeze what is the matter with this forum... 63 views and nobody has an opinion.
606v2 is not the place I knew it to be. Fed and Rafa fans of old would have had plenty to say about this.
This place is as dead as a dodo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 7:21 pm

I think potentially they'd be a very strong team.

Both adept at the net and the lefty, righty combo also works well with doubles.

But... I'm not so keen on this Laver tourney thingy. Federer makes it sound like it's supposed to be something serious and not just a hit and giggle and apparently it's going to be an annual event.

Really don't see the point of it. Are they trying to set up something like the Ryder cup? Why? There is already an international competition called the DC. Is it to honour Laver; in which case why not just play a one off exhibition?

Furthermore, the European team is going to be far stronger than the rest of the world. So competitively it seems like a pointless exercise. In an already packed calendar this seems like a bizarre addition.

And.. why does that media wh%£e John Mac have to be involved in everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 7:25 pm

On a side note, and not to derail your thread Haddie, but Federer recently announced that he'll be coming to Scotland to play in Andy's charity thing. Frankly, I'd rather watch that then this Laver Cup nonsense.

Looks like Roger and Andy are on pretty good terms - I think Andy's also playing in Fed's charity thing in April in Switzerland.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 7:27 pm

I am beyond 5 thousand Yahoo

Out of reach baby!

ghost

emancipator

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 24 Feb 2017, 8:14 pm

Thanks  em well at least you have an opinion  I don't mind you derailing my thread.. it sure as hell aint going nowhere  Hug

I have mixed views on it actually .. my heart says it would be fantastic to see these two players on the same side of the net.. given their rivalry and their affection for each other.
However their so vastly contrasting styles could be their biggest weapon.. or alternatively their handicap. Trying to visualise Fed's rh bh coupled with Raf's lh fh.. mind boggling. It could work but serious or no I would still like to see it.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:25 pm

FeDal as a doubles team is something that was an idea waiting to happen. The tickets for the Laver cup sold out instantly and I believe the site crashed as it couldn't handle the demand. On paper it should be a success but we will have to wait and see how they play. They can both hit forehands and backhands and are pretty good doubles players so what can go wrong Smile Hopefully  nothing and they will both enjoy the experience so much that when they retire from singles they can pursue the grand slam in doubles Bubbly Fingers Crossed Fedal as a Team 3933776953

Anyway retirement in singles is looking a long way off. What a great start to the year the AO was Very Happy Cool

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 24 Feb 2017, 10:44 pm

Welcome back HE Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Feb 2017, 7:34 am

Hi there HE great to see you back Smile
Its also great to hear that the idea has been welcomed by MOST Rafa and Fed Fans although those on 606 seem less enthusiastic Rolling Eyes Cant wait

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Feb 2017, 1:40 pm

I think while both Federer and Nadal have a chance for further grand slam singles success, they should avoid it. The singles tournaments are too gruelling (both Grand slams and masters) for a successful assault in both singles and doubles. I really hope Nadal gets back to some sort of full fitness and hope Federer is able to keep his body going. What they did at the Australian Open was unexpected and astonishing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Feb 2017, 2:49 pm

Welcome to the boards Bertie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 25 Feb 2017, 2:54 pm

Thanks. It was the sacking of Mr Claudio Ranieri that "inspired" me to join.

Back to top Go down

Post by timex please Sat 25 Feb 2017, 5:49 pm

No name Bertie wrote:Thanks.  It was the sacking of Mr Claudio Ranieri that "inspired" me to join.

That was particularly ungracious by Leicester!

Re original post.  I think the 'Fedal' doubles partnership is a dream team in terms of promoting tennis.  What's not to get excited about seeing two of this era's great players on the same side of the net.

On the other hand, while their contrasting techniques could possibly make for a great spectacle, and a very effective force, I am not sure if their different styles would mean you could enjoy the best of either of them.  Must confess as a Fed fan, I am not the greatest fan of the very muscular and noisy game of Rafa - for pure aesthetic enjoyment I'd prefer a pairing of Fed with Goffin, Dimitrov or Stan.   Doesn't have quite the same draw, with the exception maybe of Stan, I would agree.

timex please

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sat 25 Feb 2017, 9:03 pm

timex please wrote:
No name Bertie wrote:Thanks.  It was the sacking of Mr Claudio Ranieri that "inspired" me to join.

That was particularly ungracious by Leicester!

Re original post.  I think the 'Fedal' doubles partnership is a dream team in terms of promoting tennis.  What's not to get excited about seeing two of this era's great players on the same side of the net.

On the other hand, while their contrasting techniques could possibly make for a great spectacle, and a very effective force, I am not sure if their different styles would mean you could enjoy the best of either of them.  Must confess as a Fed fan, I am not the greatest fan of the very muscular and noisy game of Rafa - for pure aesthetic enjoyment I'd prefer a pairing of Fed with Goffin, Dimitrov or Stan.   Doesn't have quite the same draw, with the exception maybe of Stan, I would agree.

Well the article makes no mention of the fact that Roger would consider a partnership with any of the players you mention, indeed he specifically says he would wish to play with Rafa. and again there was no comment from Rafa to my knowledge. I am not a particular fan of Fed' s style of play either, however, to witness these two great and talented players partnering each other after their years of rivalry would for me, at least, be most fascinating and very exciting

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by timex please Sun 26 Feb 2017, 11:16 am

Oh it's undoubtedly the best partnership to promote the Laver Cup and sell tickets .....no question. I am sure we will see a lot more of them partnering each other at exhibitions too because they both seem to indicate that they are going to remain committed to giving back to the sport.

Just expressing a personal opinion about whether I would enjoy seeing it....I would certainly tune in.

timex please

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 26 Feb 2017, 8:17 pm

Nah, Rafa hardly made any noise when playing in doubles. He hardly needs to grunt! Points are usually short or shorter in doubles and he moves to the net often!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Belovedluckyboy Sun 26 Feb 2017, 8:18 pm

I even feel that he's better than Fed in doubles! He has more doubles titles (than Fed) too!

Belovedluckyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Sun 26 Feb 2017, 9:09 pm

I quite agree .. Rafa is a very good doubles player, His pairing with Mark Lopez has been very successful and Lopez is full of praise for Rafa's help in making him the doubles player he has become.  I think Fed knows exactly what he would be getting with this partnership.. very shrewd imo.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:23 am

I like the basic premise as a money-making proposition. Doubles requires much more coordination. Fedrinka and Nadpez have shown that there is always a 'senior' partner.

There will never be another pair like McEnroe-Fleming, even though McEnroe had a stellar Singles career.

The spectators understand what they are getting, and ticket sales are a good reflection of the commercial aspect.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Fri 31 Mar 2017, 9:42 pm

Well both sets of quarter brained fans have one thing in common - Their total inability to be suspicious of the longevity and dominance of these two players.

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Fri 31 Mar 2017, 10:03 pm

How nice to see you back : Rolling Eyes you obviously have nothing else to keep you amused than to post your jaundiced comments  on here.. however as the op of this article I would respectfully request you take your wum efforts to another forum where I'm sure they would be more appreciated.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sun 02 Apr 2017, 4:01 am

Mochyn du wrote:Well both sets of quarter brained fans have one thing in common - Their total inability to be suspicious of the longevity and dominance of these two players.

Would you be asking the same questions if Djokovic and Murray had played the IW and Miami finals? chin

It is tragic to keep asking the same question, which is also called monomania in some quarters (or finals, if you so choose). And your ability to be perennially suspicious reflects on how limited some thinking can be.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Mon 03 Apr 2017, 10:39 am

Mochyn du wrote:Well both sets of quarter brained fans have one thing in common - Their total inability to be suspicious of the longevity and dominance of these two players.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of fans have introduced into their thinking an element of skepticism about the exploits of top sportsmen and women, but that is of course not the same thing as cynicism or proof of wrong-doing, nor is the fact that a lot of people suspended disbelief for too long about Armstrong valid proof that anyone else is doping (personally I never believed in Armstrong).

If Roger Federer were done for doping at any stage, I think that would be the single most cataclysmic body-blow to the credibility of all top sport of every type, perhaps only a bust of Usain Bolt could have a similar capacity for harming the credibility of sport in general.

The way I do it is to have a spectrum from 0-100 in mind, 0 is totally dirty, 100 is totally clean, 50% and above they have the benefit of my doubts.  Each sports person I think about in any detail (i.e. not many) has a place somewhere on that spectrum which can move around with such evidence or other grounds for suspicion or not as exist - I keep an open mind and I don't give anyone 100.  This enables me to decide how much I enjoy any given spectacle, and how much time I spend watching any particular sports.  My thoughts include: (a) totally giving up on track and field athletics of every sort, I waste no time on worrying whether X, Y, or Z is clean, the whole sport has jumped the shark and is a dead end for me, and cycling is not far behind but I find it inherently more interesting than athletics, so it gains as a spectacle from that point of view; (b)  football gets away with a large lack of scrutiny; (c) I don't regard GB&I sports people as more or less likely to be clean than anyone else except for obvious basket-case countries (doping wise) as Russia; (d) physical fitness is obviously crucial to every sport, but the more that a sport depends upon additional complexity of technique and tactics or presents (to me) a spectacle or more interest, the more I am prepared to enjoy the spectacle, whilst always accepting the risk of doping; (e) if someone is done for any doping offence I don't feel betrayed or sad, more irritation at their hypocrisy and deceit before dismissing them entirely with a shrug of the shoulder - for example Cilic, Troicki, Sharapova, Lizzie Armitstead and Christine Ohuruogu are non-sports people for me, they blew it and forfeited any right to the benefit of my doubts.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down