The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather

+3
drive4show
LondonJonnyO
puligny
7 posters

Go down

Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather Empty Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather

Post by puligny Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:42 am

Has anyone else played courses recently with preferred lies still in place? I've played 2 in Hampshire - Liphook and Basingstoke. Both had excellent greens but without some serious rain soon Liphook in particular could take a while to recover. It is a heathland course and is typically dry, but seems abnormally so for the time of year.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather Empty Re: Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

puligny wrote:Has anyone else played courses recently with preferred lies still in place? I've played 2 in Hampshire - Liphook and Basingstoke. Both had excellent greens but without some serious rain soon Liphook in particular could take a while to recover. It is a heathland course and is typically dry, but seems abnormally so for the time of year.

At this time of year I would expect things to be marked as GUR if it's that bad.

We have no fairway watering where I am... but still play it as it lies.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather Empty Re: Preferred Lies - abnormally dry weather

Post by puligny Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

LJ these aren't GUR sections - the fairways are lift clean and place!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Tue 07 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

we have have a very abnormal period of weather the last couple of months... so I can understand the reasons behind it.

Still seems a bit bizarre though
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

We only came off preferred lies on 1st June, very late for us.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

D4S - playing your place tomorrow. Have you found any of the balls I lost last time!!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

Have played a couple of courses that had preferred lies all year round as they'd had a watering issue couples years back which took its toll on their fairways, think they only just this year gone to play as it lies after 2years of lift and place. I'd like to see places leave it as play as lies of the hard baked fairways evens things out

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 07 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

puligny wrote:D4S - playing your place tomorrow. Have you found any of the balls I lost last time!!!

Puligny,

Drive and I are playing Broadstone tomorrow at 5pm - I'll be there a bit earlier. What time you playing?
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 07 Jun 2011, 1:34 pm

Noshankingtonite wrote:
puligny wrote:D4S - playing your place tomorrow. Have you found any of the balls I lost last time!!!

Puligny,

Drive and I are playing Broadstone tomorrow at 5pm - I'll be there a bit earlier. What time you playing?

yeah, hang on till 5pm if you can and play with us???

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

NST/D4S Playing a match for Remedy - but will be there at 5 to say hello.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 07 Jun 2011, 2:36 pm

puligny wrote:NST/D4S Playing a match for Remedy - but will be there at 5 to say hello.

OK, quick drink before we go out for a knock then thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:06 pm

I'll be there early Puligny. I'll be in the bar/practice area about 4pm thumbsup
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 07 Jun 2011, 3:24 pm

NST/D4S we start at 12 so will catch you as we come in

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:23 pm

Plenty of water up here in Scotland boys, do you want us to send you some tankers. Whistle

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Tue 07 Jun 2011, 7:55 pm

DTW

No thanks mate, I like my courses running hard and fast Very Happy

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

D4S/NST - sorry I missed you chaps. Hope you enjoyed your game. I was out last and in after your start time - but with a win on 18th!! An away win today D4S!!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm

puligny wrote:D4S/NST - sorry I missed you chaps. Hope you enjoyed your game. I was out last and in after your start time - but with a win on 18th!! An away win today D4S!!

Well done furious

Laugh

Got your message thanks, will be in touch soon to let you know about Remedy thumbsup

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Played Thetford Forest today (good traditonal course with lovely greens). It is a very dry part of the world and on what is called Breckland (broken land), which drains quicker than 'El Ringo' can drain a 12 ft putt.

First time I have ever seen it - local rules 'due to the very dry conditions on the course, No Smoking anywhere and all shots taken from the fairway must be from a tee - except competitions.

It was dry mind you!
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Fri 10 Jun 2011, 9:38 am

OS It's officially drought round that area now, I think? Sooner they appoint a Minister for Drought the better - only way to guarantee some rain!
I've seen fairway teeing on new fairways - but never because of the dry conditions.
Looks like the weekend is going to be wet which will help all those areas which have not been getting rain.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm

High Puligny. Meyrick was preferred lies, Queens (strangely though) wasn't. Seem really dry and patchy when I walked it earlier with D4S and LJ.
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

NS - did you enjoy Broadstone? Bit windy when we were out - probably the most difficult I have known it!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by Noshankingtonite Sat 11 Jun 2011, 11:23 am

Broadstone was great. Did pretty well on front nine considering I was out wtih D4S and his 1-handicap mate Steve Shocked Back nine bared it's teeth, but a great track to play. Meyrick..... that's another story altogether boxing 🤦 🍺 Cry
Noshankingtonite
Noshankingtonite

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Sat 11 Jun 2011, 6:16 pm

Don't worry about the drought boys, Wimbledon starts soon.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Sat 11 Jun 2011, 10:47 pm

Doon the Water wrote:Don't worry about the drought boys, Wimbledon starts soon.

Brilliant! Laugh

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down