The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
raycastleunited
Shotrock
RVC
beninho
McLaren
super_realist
wiretapper
GPB
I'm never wrong
kwinigolfer
puligny
Be_the_ball
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 15 Mar 2017, 6:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Slim pickings today, snowed under here on the West Coast of New England, so just a couple of thoughts to get the thread going:

1).I always enjoy the Valspar tournament and especially love the look of the course, the "Copperhead" at Innisbrook resort. It seems to offer a chance to all types of players, from Gary Woodland to Luke Donald, and very happy to see Adam Hadwin get the "W". Hadwin's rise has been as steady as it has been unspectacular, first appearing on the TV audience's screen at the 2011 Canadian Open staged at another appealing course, Shaughnessy in the Vancouver area. Hadwin hung on well to finish 4th behind Sean O'Hair who has also won at Innisbrook. Coincidence? Possibly not!

2).The Tour travels from Tampa to Orlando and complaints by some that the top pros are short-changing Arnold Palmer's legacy have proved somewhat unfounded. Sure Dustin, Spieth, Scott and Justin Thomas are missing, but last year's champ Jason Day will defend his title, provided he gets his doctor's OK, Rory, Henrik and Hideki are all on parade as well as a very strong international contingent, especially from Europe.
This week's winner will earn 64 owgr points, compared for instance to the 54 pts haul by Rickie Fowler at the Honda.

3).But the top players can't be expected to play every week and the dates of Bay Hill's "Arnold Palmer Invitational" and next week's WGC-Dell MatchPlay have come under scrutiny.
The first load of drivel coming from my keyboard to the BBC 606 forum was written in reference to the lousy date and resultant disappointing field at Dallas's Byron Nelson in the first year after Lord Byron's death. It almost looked as if the Tour was complicit in the date assigned that year, but that certainly doesn't appear to be the case with the "Arnie". Regardless, the Tour will not like the top players who like to play the week before Augusta saying they have to skip either this week or next, or both in Adam Scott's case. Expect some tweaks to the schedule - perhaps either the Mexico WGC or the MatchPlay can be rescheduled.

4).I posted an interesting interview with Matt Fitzpatrick a couple of days ago - among other interesting snippets was his plan to aim for his PGA Tour exemption this year to take full membership next. He hastily confirmed Europe would always be his home Tour. Just as a reminder, these "double-dipping" Europeans appear to be off the pace to keep their PGA Tour cards; players listed with their FedEx rank:
119th: Donald - he's ducking Bay Hill and is ineligible for the MatchPlay (tho' he could turn up in opposite-field event in Puerto Rico) so is likely to be outside the Top 125 next time he tees it up.
139th: Poulter - just four tournaments remaining on his Medical Extension - badly needs a top result this week or next (in PR).
141st: Kjeldsen - slowly seems to be getting comfortable, but needs to capitalise on his WGC & Major opportunities.
158th: Lingmerth - Exempt for next year courtesy of his Memorial win.
181st: Gonzo - Played 9 events, only secured 29 x FedEx points. Sad.
196th: Beef - Only played four times, and not very well in those events.
199th: Harrington - Under the knife, Unsure where we'll see him next? US Open qualifying if all goes well apparently.
214th: Willett - No idea. Is he doing a Kaymer? Has he read the rules??

5).This week will be all about Arnold Palmer, and no complaints, not yet anyway, about that. Bay Hill isn't the most well-liked course on Tour but some pros seem to love it - take Stenson for instance. Never missed a cut in 8 visits, top 25 six times and 15th, 8th, 5th, 2nd, 3rd the past five years. When Stenson wins it's usually a biggie: WGC-MatchPlay, Players, Deutsche Bank, Tour Championship (and FedEx Cup), Open Championship. He may never win the "Arnie" but it won't be for lack of trying - hope he plays well again this week.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Thu 16 Mar 2017, 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:16 pm

McLaren wrote:be the ball

I have also noticed that Super never posts outside working hours, almost like he doesn't have an internet connection at home.

Nice first round from pishy pants matty. Wink

Of course I have an internet connection at home Mac, why on earth wouldn't I? Most of us, private or public sector,post mostly during working hours. There's hardly any traffic in the evening or weekends here.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Remembering Arnie at Bay Hill: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Plunky Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:24 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:At least Leeds have been good in the 60's, 70's & 80's. 90's?

Pompey held the Cup for longer than anyone else, were the Team of the Forties, downhill ever since, give or take a sleeping PC called Redknapp.

Pompey have gone on some good cup runs relatively lately, it's the "Elland back" Leeds thing I meant.

But Football's ruined now, there are too many good clubs getting into terrible financial difficulty.

I used to work with a girl from Devon that was an Argyle supporter, so it could always be worse...
I went to high school across the road from Home Park (Argyle's home ground in Plymouth).  That was back in the days when footballers all wore short shorts and we used to take a detour home on some days so we could watch the Team training in the park.  They were the annual target of local pantomimes.  Somebody would run on stage saying "you'll never guess what just happened " and the answer (usually yelled from audience) was  "don't tell me argyle finally won a game ".   Happy Days !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:31 pm

Plunky wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:At least Leeds have been good in the 60's, 70's & 80's. 90's?

Pompey held the Cup for longer than anyone else, were the Team of the Forties, downhill ever since, give or take a sleeping PC called Redknapp.

Pompey have gone on some good cup runs relatively lately, it's the "Elland back" Leeds thing I meant.

But Football's ruined now, there are too many good clubs getting into terrible financial difficulty.

I used to work with a girl from Devon that was an Argyle supporter, so it could always be worse...
I went to high school across the road from Home Park (Argyle's home ground in Plymouth).  That was back in the days when footballers all wore short shorts and we used to take a detour home on some days so we could watch the Team training in the park.  They were the annual target of local pantomimes.  Somebody would run on stage saying "you'll never guess what just happened " and the answer (usually yelled from audience) was  "don't tell me argyle finally won a game ".   Happy Days !

Laugh Laugh Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 12:41 pm

I like the way Hadwin always looks like he's playing within himself. Sneaky long as well.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 17 Mar 2017, 1:26 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:I like the way Hadwin always looks like he's playing within himself. Sneaky long as well.

What, like the old grower but not show'er thing?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

Stewards Enquiry.
No, not into Augusta Kate's effort (on behalf of Alan Shearer & Lee Westwood) at Cheltenham.
But into Matt Every's climb up the leaderboard.

120 golfers is an interesting number for a golf tournament; you have to have had a pretty awful first round not to have some sort of chance at the cut, so lots to play for in Round 2, especially with a huge prize as this week's is.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 17 Mar 2017, 3:59 pm

Plunky wrote:I went to high school across the road from Home Park (Argyle's home ground in Plymouth).  
I lived in Plympton in the early 70's. Went to one or two games at Home Park too. Happy days indeed

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:18 pm

My era included John Hore (didn't everyone's?) Colin Sullivan and the great Norman Piper . . . . . .

Looks like I was a week too soon to suggest that it was Charlie Hoffman's time of the year to shine . . . . . . . glad to see Matty Fitz still going well.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 4:47 pm

One person who didn't give up after a lousy first round is Martin Laird; followed his 77 with a 68.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:15 pm

Good stuff from the Laird, impressed with Rory today as well (only saw front 9 mind) nothing going for him and grinding out a -1 round. Easy to get frustrated and blow up in those situations.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 17 Mar 2017, 5:27 pm

Impressive that Hoffman followed up his 68 with a pair of 6's. O'Hair with work to do.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 7:55 pm

Capitulation from Pieters and now Stenson is playing as if he's got a repeat case of the trots. Hopeless.
But Fleetwood showing some character.
And Francesco playing well again.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:08 pm

O'Hair about to slam the trunk. This is shaping up to be an interesting weekend of golf.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:20 pm

Just catching up now, where did Hoffman come from? Hadn't seen a single shot from him today... Had both Stenson & Pieters in this weeks picks picard
Greg Owen missing the cut by one, what a costly and careless 3 putt. Not the first time thats happened round here.
Great from Matt Fitz, what a great kid.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:38 pm

Poulter doing his best to avoid making the cut. Going along nicely and then +4 on the back 9 so far. Not what is required when time is ticking on his medical extension.

Edit - great shot on 17 !

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 8:47 pm

And Putt Snap. Livin for the weekend!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:15 pm

Greg Owen might get lucky with the cut-line moving to +4. Not the greatest record of course management during his career, not here, not anywhere.

Good fight back from Poults after trying hard to drive nails into his coffin - still a chance make a good payday.
Had missed that the late Robert Gamez was in the field.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:37 pm

Thought O'Hair was going to turn into a top player around the time he just missed out on this tourney to Tiger for the 2nd time, and of course when Tiger copies your swing that had to be the ultimate compliment. But it wasn't to be. Time is still on his side though. I always wonder where his head is considering what he had to put up with earlier in life.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

Have to take your hat off to Poults, you don't have to have talent to have a fighting spirit and good attitude.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 9:55 pm

SO'H just putted into the water - not something you see every day.

66 from Fleetwood and Hatton going nicely. With Fitz up there and Casey & Rose representing the previous generation, Team England doing OK.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:09 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:SO'H just putted into the water - not something you see every day.

66 from Fleetwood and Hatton going nicely. With Fitz up there and Casey & Rose representing the previous generation, Team England doing OK.

You heading into the NDN tomorrow Kwini? I'm out to watch it with a few mates. A bit apprehensive if I'm honest, Jones has got them back to being a really good outfit. But we've never lost a 6n game at home under Schmidt, and after a disappointing 6n have one chance for glory. My best mate in work is from Chesterfield and a big Blades fan, he's been going round the office all week wearing chainmail and St Georges flags.. pffft, the cheek!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Snap Hook Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm

Nicely rescued by Poulter, now needs to go forward. Another finish in the 50s will not cut it.

Snap Hook

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:30 pm

Nope B_t_b, Probably not - really find it difficult to get into Rugby, these days; during my 25-year blackout the game changed so much, plus the calendar is soooo different, feels like a different sport. Too bad but you can't follow everything, and my Canadiens are just a couple of weeks away from the NHL play-offs, PFC is becoming respectable and some good tennis going on. Hardly got time to watch the golf. Baseball soon to add to the complications.

Looks like a premature extrapolation on Owen. Sounds like he's a Bay Hill member.

Kind of a different leaderboard this week doncha think? Looking forward to the weekend.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 17 Mar 2017, 10:48 pm

Rugby has changed massively since the professional era has come in. I love it though, not as much as golf though. The Lions tour of NZ will be great, but unless there's a win for us tomorrow I can't see too many Irish players in the squad especially with Gatland in charge.

Great weekend in store at the api, will certainly be interesting...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:17 pm

Poulter in the Puerto Rico tournament.

Even though he had a good result there last year, it is a big mistake to play that tournament.

He has a better chance of getting his tour card back via the money requirement than the FEX requirement.

And if you analyze the purse as compared to FEX points, it has a high FEX pts / Dollar ratio than most of the tournaments.

Whereas this weeks tournament has a low FEX pts / Dollar ratio.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:35 pm

Can't agree with that, GPB, he was interviewed recently and obviously had a good feeling about the place; I would say that confidence trumps arithmetic all day, every day - hopefully he'll nail two good rounds this weekend and get closer to the number.

Lousy field though. McDool is there, but no sign of defending champ Finau, waiting in Austin on a wing and a prayer presumably. Haven't heard yet about any more Match Play defectors. Beef and Gonzo among others in the field.

Anyone heard any update on Tim Clark??

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 17 Mar 2017, 11:37 pm

5 qualified players not in match play

Lil Rickie joins Stenson-Scott-Rose-Hadwin.

4 players in the Top 15.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:54 am

So, With Rickie out, presumably Si Woo Kim gets in, with Finau and Hofffman first & second alternates respectively.

But: What about Si Woo Kim? He's already withdrawn from 3 tournaments this season, obviously not in rude good health? What's he going to do? Turn up, pick up his $40K money-for-nothing and do a runner?

Kim's a good player but if this scenario plays out, you'd expect/hope eyebrows to be raised, questions in the House.

PGA Tour at it's silliest next week, with a WGC, an opposite field event, and a web.com outing in Louisiana that has at least a dozen Pros who are presumably picking Louisiana over Puerto Rico. Almost as if Finchem left with the schedule not finalised and through the options in the air for his successor to figure out. Still waiting.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 18 Mar 2017, 1:23 am

What Webbies are choosing Louisiana over Puerto Rico?

Edit: Si Woo Kim is working Sean Foley. And he keeps WDing because of back issues. Foley is doing what he can to keep his stable on the disabled list.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 12:52 pm

Should be a lovely day in Orlando, plenty of sun, no significant breeze and warming up well into the 70's. Warmer on Sunday but wind could become a factor.

Poulter will be off in about an hour, about halfway the Arsenal's second half. A couple of 60-somethings this weekend will go a long way towards keeping his card.
Rory, Laird, Kaymer, Tommy Fleetwood & Noren all hit the first tee in rapid succession after Poults.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

No-one going really low, but good front nine from Poults; Laird & Rory also two under so far. Martin Kaymer too.
PFC two down, not happy.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 18 Mar 2017, 4:14 pm

Make that 3 Run

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 6:19 pm

Rory should be right in the mix for Round 4.
Disappointing back nine for Poults, but should still be a step forward. Must do better though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 8:42 pm

B_t_b,
Leprechaun thumbsup clap guinness

Lots of Team GB&NI doing themselves some good today, Laird the only one to miss out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 18 Mar 2017, 9:00 pm

Cheers Kwini, congrats England on the 6n win! Nice win for us today, but England the deserved 6n champions overall. Really tough game today, good contest. I doubt I'll be able to swing watching golf this evening after todays pass so glad to hear GB&NI doin well.. Leprechaun

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 18 Mar 2017, 11:57 pm

I love the tournaments where the galacticos are contesting a shoot-out, but the events where guys who win once every two or three years are just as appealing to moi. Isn't that what this week feels like?
I liked Kisner this week until Rob Bolton "he's thrived much more often on shorter tracks and on tests with par of less than 72"; Ugh! Wouldn't bet against him winning on Sunday.

He's a competitor, loves the Bermuda greens and, if he doesn't win Sunday, ink him in for Harbour Town, then double up at The Players if necessary. Never plays a cut so could also be worth a long-shot e.w. at Augusta - he grew up just a few miles away.

Europeans doing very nicely and imagine that will augur very well for the MatchPlay.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:23 am

Kwini, what players are playing in Louisiana next week instead of Puerto Rico?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Mar 2017, 1:14 am

GPB,
Technically I might have misspoke, but these guys must surely be stronger attractions that a couple of dozen in PR:

Aiken, Compton, Ernst, Gore, Guthrie, Langley, Oppenheim, The Wizard, Trahan, etc etc (haven't mentioned Allenby! and some other old lags), plus some young guns like Conners, Cook, Mitchell, C.Thompson, Wilson etc.
Just think it's poor scheduling.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 19 Mar 2017, 12:26 pm

I don't think any of those players would have got into Puerto Rico if there was no Web-com event this week.

==============

Rory needs at least a solo 7th to pass Jason Day in the OWGR for #2. But that is only if Day Whiffies today and finishes worse than 55th.

If Rory finishes 5th, Day needs to improve to solo 18th or better to keep the #2 spot

If Rory goes back to back, this week and next, he could reclaim the #1 ranking.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Mar 2017, 6:58 pm

This leaderboard would be even more interesting if I had any of the contenders in Grumpy's game.

Can anyone catch the Kis and the Hoff? The chasers have their work cut out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Mar 2017, 7:40 pm

Couldn't see Kis being cought 20 mins ago, maybe just maybe Rory can give him a scare...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Mar 2017, 7:53 pm

Wouldn't it be fitting after Cheltenham and the Rugby if Rory managed to pull this off.

But Kis is a wiz on Bermuda, still must be the favourite.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:06 pm

Midgetmac is on the attack!

Kis looks pretty solid, the Hof in meltdown.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:12 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Midgetmac is on the attack!
381 yard drives help

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:24 pm

Big time INW, although in trouble here ..

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:36 pm

Another 371 one and a pitch close to the flag....still got his foot down.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Mar 2017, 8:41 pm

Unreal driving, unlucky not make that putt.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

Ooh...

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

What on earth happened to Wee Davy Lingmerth today: 88 (eighty eight!)

Makes me feel better about my round yesterday.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 19 Mar 2017, 9:22 pm

I know BlueCoverman & Grumpy are keen on legs - catch a load of the calves on Kisner's caddy. About the size of Matty Fitz's waist.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next