Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by pedro on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 am

First topic message reminder :

Corbyn I guess.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
beninho wrote:I appreciate your concern, but you have no need to worry about me or my family.  

I'm not so sure. Your mum is clearly irrational, she sounds like a security risk to me. And your sister is as brainwashed as a jihadi bride. How did it feel growing up in a fundamentalist household?

Laugh

It was hard, but inShaAllah it was all worth it in the end.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho on Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

I hate the fact that Phillip Hammond stands out as half decent.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro on Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:11 pm

Ben I'm sure your family are nice people. But I do bother if they vote for politicians because they hold the same religious beleifs and who might let it influence their politics.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Pedro, ive no idea where you are from but being brought up in this part of north west london,one if only 2 london borough's to vote out, if the leader of the tory party came out as a satanist who killed puppys, my parents would likely still vote for them, and old tories would send there children to be the mp. We have a Hurd at present. I though was happy that I talked them into against brexit, but they moved to sleepy hertfordshire and didnt register to vote. Again knowing my parents as I do, there is more chance they will not vote rather than bote on a religious ideology.
Sat sree akaal.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 am

Diggers wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

In a way, I think we should let the area implode. Alternatively, annihilate the area and simply take the oil we need. Bored stupid of these idiots now.

Navy the rest of the post wasn't great, but I assume this is the bit that monty was referring to.  

Thank-you for your critique, but I stand by it. Monty's already clarified, so you're a bit slow off the mark I'm afraid. Your considered commentary on the situation would be...?

To be fair, your considered commentary is that of a person who has probably never been within 500 miles of a war zone, let alone had your life affected by living in one. It's pretty easy to be dismissively flippant from the comfort of your armchair.
Well, mostly true. But then again, at least I put an opinion out there to be shot at. Mac's view seems to be that he can critique without offering any reasons as to why. Doesn't work I'm afraid.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 am

beninho wrote:I still stand by the  claim that the lib dems tempered a lot of right wing tory policies while in coalition, but were shat on from all when it came to election time as they got no credit for anything. Ckegg is still the best lib dem around though. God knows what this government will do over the next 18months.
Yep. They were the perfect patsy for the Tories.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:10 am

raycastleunited wrote:What are your thoughts on IJP clothing going bust?

There's been discussion on the other thread of Poulter's lack of form, although I wouldn't be surprised if the demise of IJP has resulted in him taking his eye off the ball. What I wanted to know is what people thought of the brand.

I never bought any IJP stuff, initially a lot of it was quite garish and didn't appeal to me, but  when I looked on the website recently there seemed to be a lot of nice stuff (although nothing in my size).

Apologies if this post is out of place - I'll leave you to return to religion now.
IJP clothing's gone bust? Not everything's doom and gloom then.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer on Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm not happy about the weather you guys are getting: 20+C? What's that all about, May in March?
January in March here, more than 3ft of snow so far this month, another 6 inches tomorrow night. Not surprising the White House is opening up coal mines again.

Who would you rather have sculpting your landscape, the god of your choice, or Donald Drumpf/Samuel Peabody? This is John Prine's commentary:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/03/29/trumps-travel-ban-could-cost-18b-us-tourism-travel-analysts-say/99708758/www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnprine/paradise.html

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:27 am

So, this David Moyes thing seems like a massive over the top reaction doesn't it? It annoys me when various women or women's groups get involved as it just makes people moan about feminism and then don't take them seriously when actual issues come up.

I do think that if David Moyes was actually offering someone a slap you would know about it!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:27 am

Agree, complete over-reaction. Clearly a playful, hyperbolic joke of a statement to make.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:33 am

Just shows what a dick he is. Wonder how you would react should Mourinho or some other dick splat offererd to slap your daughter/wife/granny? No need to answer soops, you have no concept of what it's like to have any significant other.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 am

For a start Monty, I wouldn't take it literally, so wouldn't treat it seriously.

Have you watched the video? It was clumsy and worth a cringe, but it wasn't threatening. To even ask "how would you react if it was your daughter/significant other etc just shows how far you have disconnected it from the context in which it was said.

My reaction? I might smile politely and curl my toes a little, but do you genuinely think this woman was EVER at threat of a slap? Of course she wasn't.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:55 am

It was daft and a bit embarrassing. If someone said they would slap a family member in the same manner, then apologised and they accept the apology. Then I would move on and not be bothered.

Its such non news.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:59 am

beninho wrote:It was daft and a bit embarrassing.
Yep, hence he's a dick. Not sure what your point is?
It's been reported, quite rightly, in the papers and now most people have moved on.
You don't think it was worth reporting?
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 am

nope I don't. I really do not see why it has made the newspapers.

Saying something daft and embarrassing doesn't make someone a dick in my eyes, though it may in yours.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:11 am

MontysMerkin wrote:
beninho wrote:It was daft and a bit embarrassing.  
Yep, hence he's a dick. Not sure what your point is?
It's been reported, quite rightly, in the papers and now most people have moved on.
You don't think it was worth reporting?

If it was only daft and a bit embarrassing, why were you referring to the "threat" as if it was genuine?

Have you never said anything daft or embarrassing? Of course you have, doesn't make you a dick.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 am

Hardly a threat was it? Just a stupid thing to say that was as you quite rightly say cringeworthy and embarrassing.
Of course it's going to get reported - it's what they do. But hardly front page stuff and it seems to have disappeared already.
Not sure why you think it was over hyped? He said something identified as stupid, it was, reported, he apologised, that's that. Wheres the hyperbole or over reaction? Your faux offence about a none issue is equally laughable.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, cringeworthy and embarrassing, but you asked how I'd feel if my daughter/wife (why not a dad/son/brother etc) was spoken to in this manner, as if I ought to be offended and defend their honour from a physical attack.

Liberal planks are asking for Moyes to "consider his position". That's how ridiculous it's become and how no one can say something silly without getting hauled over the coals.

Last edited by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:29 am

I think the overeaction was that an Mp was on the Radio declaring that Moyes was sexist, it was still being reported on the news this morning on TV and radio. Radio 5 had someone on stating that he needed to go to courses, similar to driving courses after being caught speeding. Someone is calling for him to be sacked in a Daily Telegraph column.

It has yet to disappear most paper websites are running the story.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:33 am

super_realist wrote:Yes, cringeworthy and embarrassing, but you asked how I'd feel if my daughter/wife was spoken to in this manner, as if I ought to be offended and defend their honour from a physical attack.

Liberal planks are asking for Moyes to "consider his position". That's how ridiculous it's become.
I deliberately missed you out on that one. Knowing you had neither I realise you would find it difficult to empathise with some peoples position. Anyone threatening (even light heartedly) to slap someones wife round our way would probably get a thick ear if a grovelling apology wasn't issued immediately. The main embarrassing thing is, it needed publicity before he apologised. Hence dick splat.
Anyone managing Sunderland should consider their position.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:36 am

beninho wrote:I think the overeaction was that an Mp was on the Radio declaring that Moyes was sexist, it was still being reported on the news this morning on TV and radio. Radio 5 had someone on stating that he needed to go to courses, similar to driving courses after being caught speeding. Someone is calling for him to be sacked in a Daily Telegraph column.

It has yet to disappear most paper websites are running the story.

Just checked a few and it's gone from most of them. MPs just like to get on the radio - ignore em. Radio 5 are desperate to fill their airwaves with anything. I cannot see any over reaction at all (apart from your over reaction to the debatable over reaction)

And please for the love of god get your news from somewhere other than the Telegraph.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am

Monty, Your cheap jibes don't excuse that I have siblings and other relatives. I'm no less able to "empathise" than you are.

Sounds like people "round your way" are simply too sensitive, take everything too literally and are looking for offence at the slightest provocation.

Moyes statement was awkward and clumsy, but it wasn't remotely threatening, it was tongue in cheek and clearly meant as a joke.

You and yours "round your way" should probably look at yourselves and try and be a bit more tolerant instead of demanding a "grovelling apology" or actually returning the statement with REAL violence.

Seems you've got a bigger problem with yourself than Moyes has, as he only said something stupid, you'd actually administer violence and react in a completely over the top way.

I thought you'd take yourself less seriously than that Monty. Surely you could respond with a classier and wittier remark rather than respond with violence Monty and take the moral high ground rather than sinking to violence and over-reaction?

You can't see any over-reaction? Eh, look in the mirror, you've already said people round your way would demand a grovelling apology and failing that give a thick ear. If that's not over-reacting, what is?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:47 am

Those jibes cost me a fortune; they were no way cheap, I'll have you know.
You think it's fine to offer someone (female) a slap, even jokingly.
I don't, that's fine. (It may be ok between a load of lads playing footy or down the pub, but to say it on tv or radio?)
I didn't see any over reaction at all. Moyes certainly thinks it was a mistake as he has apologised.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:51 am

IT WAS A JOKE, a poor one, but a joke nonetheless.

If you take that as a serious threat you're an idiot, if you respond as if it's a genuine threat, you're an idiot.

I expect a woman in a reporters position to be able to stand up for themselves. I expect them to treat it with the derision it deserves. I don't expect a male to have to "stand up for her honour".

The only thing Moyes is guilty of is a rubbish joke.
There are people saying he should resign over that, that's an hysterical over-reaction as is your demand for a thick ear or grovelling apology.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am

super_realist wrote:IT WAS A JOKE, a poor one, but a joke nonetheless.

If you take that as a serious threat you're an idiot, if you respond as if it's a genuine threat, you're an idiot.

I expect a woman in a reporters position to be able to stand up for themselves. I expect them to treat it with the derision it deserves. I don't expect a male to have to "stand up for her honour".

The only thing Moyes is guilty of is a rubbish joke.
There are people saying he should resign over that, that's an hysterical over-reaction as is your demand for a thick ear or grovelling apology.

I would only expect a grovelling apology if someone said it to my missus. Couldn't give a fat one about anyone elses.
No male was standing up for her honour as far as I could see.
Of course it wasn't serious. Not sure what that proves. Maybe that he's an inbred numpty that shouldn't be allowed out in public? Maybe it's the humour, I certainly didn't get the joke.
Haven't heard or read that he should resign (although I'm sure they have).
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:00 pm

Super - in YOUR opinion it was a joke. That's not a fact, but an opinion

I agree it was said with a chuckle in his voice but I for one think it was far from a joke.

No, I'm not a lily livered liberal - I'm usually all for anything anti-PC but in this instance I think that Mr Moyes does have some serious questions to answer

He was threatening and intimidating; he threatened a slap - OK maybe not literally, but figuratively enough; He also told her to "watch her step" or she wouldn't be back. He made deliberate references to her gender too (why?)

Just because these things were said in an apparent air of joking, doesn't negate the realism that he was trying to intimidate the woman.

In MY opinion, he has a case to answer on this one. I await you labeling me an idiot for holding this opinion too - but at least I state it as an OPINION and not a fact

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:04 pm

It is pretty weird to "joke" about slapping a woman and you have to wonder if this is a common thread in his humor?

And I have to say Davie has summed why his comments are a worry to many people.

Although Sunderland have continued to employ people after they have done worse things to a female.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm

It was probably leaked by Sunderland anyway, to get out of having to pay compo when they sack him.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:13 pm

Mac, I'm not saying we find it funny, we're saying it was clearly MEANT as a joke by Moyes, no matter how awkward and clumsy it was. (Humour, Yankee Doodle Mac, not humor)

Why "worry" about it? All you should be thinking is that Moyes has a crap sense of humour and has bad timing.

People make "jokes" like that all the time "I'm going to kill you if you hole this putt" for instance, or "I'll snap your putter if you do that again". No one actually thinks it's a genuine threat to violence.

It isn't an open threat to violence. It's a figure of speech, albeit one which has been chosen badly.

Monty ,You've also made references to her gender (although I agree that was the bit in the quote which made me wince the most)
You're treating women in the same willowy and helpless way too, as you asked "what if your daughter/wife was spoken to like that" as if they couldn't stand up for themselves.

Moyes can tell the woman to "watch her step" if he likes "or you won't be back" just as Liverpool can refuse The Sun permission to be in the stadium.
What does her being a woman have to do with it? Plenty reporters have been banned from football clubs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:21 pm

McLaren wrote:It is pretty weird to "joke" about slapping a woman and you have to wonder if this is a common thread in his humor?

Although Sunderland have continued to employ people after they have done worse things to a female.
Such as whom?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:24 pm

What does her being a woman have to do with it?

I think it was the dismissive tone he used that was reminiscent of a domestic abuse scenario. The idea that you give "your" woman a slap if she steps out of line.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
McLaren wrote:It is pretty weird to "joke" about slapping a woman and you have to wonder if this is a common thread in his humor?

Such as whom?

I am assuming he means convicted child molester Adam Johnson.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

As far as I recall they never "continued" to employ him once his actions became known

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm

It's amazing that an incident like this causes so much fuss, yet as a society we are happy to accept that women should often be paid less for doing the same job and are also often excluded from senior roles.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 pm

super_realist wrote:

Monty ,You've also made references to her gender (although I agree that was the bit in the quote which made me wince the most)
You're treating women in the same willowy and helpless way too, as you asked "what if your daughter/wife was spoken to like that" as if they couldn't stand up for themselves.

It's common knowledge that females are generally smaller than males. Ergo if a large male threatened a smaller female most would feel duty bound to protect her. You may just hold her kebab but I'm not judging.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:

It's common knowledge that females are generally smaller than males. Ergo if a large male threatened a smaller female most would feel duty bound to protect her. You may just hold her kebab but I'm not judging.

Depends if you are naïve enough to think this was a genuine threat.

When did we denude people of their ability to think critically about everything?

If I call someone the "C" word, I expect them to have the ability to determine whether I'm using it as a term of endearment, or a term of abuse.
If I tell someone "you might get a slap" I expect people to be able to ascertain whether I'm making a joke or making a threat.

Why do we have to take what someone says as being literal all the time? I know that people these days use the word "literally" far too liberally these days, but we don't have to take everything literally.

Does anyone genuinely believe Moyes was actually threatening her with violence? I doubt it, and if you do, you should probably consider an English class and learn what context, tone and inference is all about.

All he did was make a bad and potentially crass joke. He should be embarrassed about that, but he shouldn't need to explain to people that he wasn't threatening violence. People ought to be able to work that out for themselves.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:51 pm

He maybe wasn't "literally" threatening violence - but he sure was trying to intimidate her

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 pm

By laughing as he said it and her laughing along too? Yeah, I bet she was quaking in her boots.

"You were getting a bit naughty at the end" is hardly intimidating language is it? Ooh, Mr Big Bad Moyes bullying the reporter.

Why does he need to intimidate her? If he doesn't like her or what she's saying, he can just ban her from the club.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:16 pm

super_realist wrote:By laughing as he said it and her laughing along  too? Yeah, I bet she was quaking in her boots.

"You were getting a bit naughty at the end" is hardly intimidating language is it?  Ooh, Mr Big Bad Moyes bullying the reporter.

Why does he need to intimidate her? If he doesn't like her or what she's saying, he can just ban her from the club.
You just don't get it. That's fine. Move along now....
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

super_realist wrote:

So why didn't he just ban her instead of threatening her! Not "literally" of course....

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

So why didn't he just ban her instead of threatening her! Not "literally" of course....

He wasn't going to ban her either. Can people not understand hyperbolic language?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:45 pm

MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Ugg! Me, Tarzan...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:46 pm

beninho wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Such as whom?

I am assuming he means convicted child molester Adam Johnson.
That's what I wondered, but pretty sure it's a bit dumb to make the remark when Sunderland dumped him on his conviction. Is Mac suggesting they should have dumped him before proven guilty? Probably...

Davie wrote:As far as I recall they never "continued" to employ him once his actions became known
Quite.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:

He wasn't going to ban her either. Can people not understand hyperbolic language?
Nope. Obviously not. Take everything at face value. No understanding of context, sarcasm, irony or any other subtleties of verbal and body language...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:53 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
MontysMerkin wrote:
super_realist wrote:

Ugg! Me, Tarzan...
Lol, one of your more reasoned posts, if a little (but mercifully) brief.
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:02 pm

Navy

I thought it came to light that long before he was convicted he admitted to someone at Sunderland that he had acted inappropriately with the child?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 pm

Doesn't matter Mac, legally he's not "guilty" until he's been found guilty.
At best, they could have suspended him whilst an investigation was underway.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:11 pm

I am glad to hear your moral code is formed exclusively by the UK legal system. Aren't there a group of people you despise who also have very limited source material for their moral code?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:13 pm

When did I say anything about it being moral Mac? I said LEGALLY. Sunderland COULD NOT sack him for something which had not been proven. Had the player been found not guilty, he could have sued the club for wrongful dismissal.

We were talking about people taking things too literally these days Mac, and you are the primary exponent.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:15 pm

From now on I shall refer to you as the rev Super.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum