The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs.

+8
SecretFly
No 7&1/2
The Great Aukster
Gooseberry
Cyril
IanBru
funnyExiledScot
TightHEAD
12 posters

Go down

Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs. Empty Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs.

Post by TightHEAD Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:48 am

Is it true the British & Irish Lions are threatening legal action against any clubs that use its image without paying for it this summer?

If true then the spirit of rugby is dead as is the Lions imho.

Without the clubs there is no Lions.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs. Empty Re: Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs.

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:52 am

Why would clubs seek to use the British & Irish Lions image?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs. Empty Re: Is it true? British & Irish Lions threaten legal action against clubs.

Post by TightHEAD Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:54 am

For club dinners, charity events, photo opportunities of their players wearing Lions shirts if selected etc etc....
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:05 pm

They're also worried at Lions-branded events being put on which are obviously not within the ethos of the Lions - the terrifying example brought up on the wonderful 'Blood and Mud' podcast was a 'British and Irish Lions 2017 Burlesque Night'.

I then spent ten minutes involuntarily picturing what that would even look like.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:09 pm

They're also trying to clamp down on the circulation of bootleg copies of 'The Power of Four' (sung by Matt Stevens).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:10 pm

Since when has the ethos of the Lions been to allow commercial entities to exploit their image for financial gain?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:10 pm

Cyril wrote:They're also trying to clamp down on the circulation of bootleg copies of 'The Power of Four' (sung by Matt Stevens).
Oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god oh god vomit
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:11 pm

I suppose theres a legitimate concern that Glasgow might viote for indpendance and set up their own Lions team with both GrAys and the rest of the Scotfolk who got left behind.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 28 Mar 2017, 12:21 pm

TightHEAD wrote:For club dinners, charity events, photo opportunities of their players wearing Lions shirts if selected etc etc....

Ah, you mean to exploit a 3rd party's brand for financial gain. It's not like the clubs move an inch on releasing players early to further the cause of the Lions (and why should they do so at the business end of a season you may well ask).

This has nothing to do with the ethos of the Lions. Nothing at all. It's a brand, and to use it you need permission.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:32 pm

The Lions is purely a brand so has to be copyright protected and that enforced to satisfy the greed maximise the income.

On the flip side can the clubs threaten legal action to stop their players being selected for the Lions?

Or to extrapolate further can a season ticket holder take legal action against the Lions for putting their club players at unnecessary risk?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:34 pm

They'll be insured so no.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:49 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:They'll be insured so no.

Against injury only?

What about loss of pre-season training and associated late introduction to the normal season?
What about loss of competitiveness at the start of the season when some clubs have more players missing than others?
What about the negative impact and divisiveness engendered in the squad between those selected and those not?
What about PTSD when players come home in psychological bits?

If all that's insured for then it's amazing the Lion's have anything left to pay the players. Wink

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:51 pm

Why dont you try it and find out. The rest of us will be in the pub watching the Lions.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 28 Mar 2017, 1:55 pm

Yeah...just worth pointing out that any player wishing to opt out of the lions can do so and has happened in the past I believe. And some of that sounds like the things the evil prl are accused of ie placing the club first and viewing players as theirs.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 28 Mar 2017, 2:10 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Why dont you try it and find out. The rest of us will be in the pub watching the Lions.

Ever since the Romans built the Colosseum, the principle of people paying to watch weird (and bloody) mismatches has endured. Thanks for the advice but I'm hoping none of my team's players will be selected anyway.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 28 Mar 2017, 3:19 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:
Gooseberry wrote:Why dont you try it and find out. The rest of us will be in the pub watching the Lions.

Ever since the Romans built the Colosseum, the principle of people paying to watch weird (and bloody) mismatches has endured. Thanks for the advice but I'm hoping none of my team's players will be selected anyway.

Which lucky team is that?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Mar 2017, 3:45 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote: ... sounds like the things the evil prl are accused of ...

The PRL ain't evil. They is just very naughty boys that lets business rule their hearts - as is normal for 'strictly biz' types. The doddering blazer eejits from the cobwebbed Union fraternity are just more temperate in their love for cute and cuddly stuff like rabbits and puppies and Cabbage Patch dolls and things.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Tue 28 Mar 2017, 6:50 pm

The Olympics did a similar thing, I think they banned sponsors of individual athletes tweeting their support for their athletes if they weren't Olympic sponsors? Or banned the athletes from tweeting their sponsors. Or both.

Whatever it was, I think the penalty was being stripped of your medal, so the penalties were harsh to say the least.

I think that's worse than what the Lions are doing.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Tue 28 Mar 2017, 6:53 pm

Trying to avoid #Lions tossing dwarves is all it is.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 28 Mar 2017, 6:55 pm

It's just as well the Welsh regions aren't evil like PRL or they'd have a long acrimonious history with their union and various threats of legal action.

Oh wait hang on.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:50 pm

The Great Aukster wrote:

We know, we know. You've told us about a million times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 28 Mar 2017, 8:55 pm

robbo277 wrote:The Olympics did a similar thing, I think they banned sponsors of individual athletes tweeting their support for their athletes if they weren't Olympic sponsors? Or banned the athletes from tweeting their sponsors. Or both.

Whatever it was, I think the penalty was being stripped of your medal, so the penalties were harsh to say the least.

I used to do schools work. In the run up to London 2012 we weren't allowed to call our usual annual 'Mini Olympics' event (kids doing relay races and the like) by that name, as we were threatened with legal action. We'd been using the name for about 6 years prior to this. We had to change it to Mini Sports Challenge or something similar. It was the word Olympics that was prohibited. F***ing pathetic!

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 28 Mar 2017, 9:37 pm

The f**king new Olympics crowd stole it from the ancient Greeks.  Was Baron de Coubertin taken to court?

F**k 'em.  You should have let yourselves be taken to court, Griff, and get that guy... em Jonathan Goldberg, to defend you.  The entire 'Olympics' Movement against a bunch of kids - he'd work some magic on the optics of that.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 29 Mar 2017, 8:58 am

Griff wrote:
robbo277 wrote:The Olympics did a similar thing, I think they banned sponsors of individual athletes tweeting their support for their athletes if they weren't Olympic sponsors? Or banned the athletes from tweeting their sponsors. Or both.

I used to do schools work. In the run up to London 2012 we weren't allowed to call our usual annual 'Mini Olympics' event (kids doing relay races and the like) by that name, as we were threatened with legal action. We'd been using the name for about 6 years prior to this. We had to change it to Mini Sports Challenge or something similar. It was the word Olympics that was prohibited. F***ing pathetic!  

The Challenge Cup let you do that??! They need new lawyers.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 29 Mar 2017, 9:57 am

SecretFly wrote:The f**king new Olympics crowd stole it from the ancient Greeks.  Was Baron de Coubertin taken to court?

F**k 'em.  You should have let yourselves be taken to court, Griff, and get that guy... em Jonathan Goldberg, to defend you.  The entire 'Olympics' Movement against a bunch of kids - he'd work some magic on the optics of that.

Indeed, I'd be interested to hear the legal basis they had for taking 'ownership' of the word Olympic ... quite apart from the PR disaster that would have unleashed had they carried out their threat

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Wed 29 Mar 2017, 1:10 pm

KFC threatened to sue the Tan Hill Inn, they used the words "family feast" on its Sunday dinner menu.

They backed down in the end.

The really annoying thing is - apart from the Corporate bullying and the very notion that they can trademark words - is than the grub at the Tan Hill is proper stuff not some bucket of deep fried mouse.
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 29 Mar 2017, 2:11 pm

Mouse??? It's been Mouse all along???? Shocked Shocked Shocked

I've been eating Mouse????

.........tasty stuff Cool

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down