The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kell Brook - All you need to know !!

+7
hogey
Hammersmith harrier
Herman Jaeger
EX7EY
Derbymanc
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Kell Brook - All you need to know !! Empty Kell Brook - All you need to know !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 05 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

1. Went to the US to fight an at the time highly regarded Champion in Porter..

2. Got stuck in with the number 1 fighter in Boxing and carried on with a bad injury for two rounds.

3. Fighting a 50/50 with Spence when he has options..

If you haven't got anytime for this guy...Boxing isn't for you !!

Huge respect for this kid..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - All you need to know !! Empty Re: Kell Brook - All you need to know !!

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 7:58 am

I've said this from the start

I've never ever criticised him

Brook is one of my favourite fighters, even if he loses to Spence, I'll still support him

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Kell Brook - All you need to know !! Empty Re: Kell Brook - All you need to know !!

Post by Derbymanc Thu 06 Apr 2017, 8:16 am

His opponents before that can be torn apart as can some of his mandatories but you can't fault him in that he'll stand up and box anyone.

He is a credit imo and if he carries on in this vein (and continues winning) could leave a lasting legacy

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 06 Apr 2017, 8:50 am

I'll admit I have criticised Brook in the past. When he was going through Gavin, Dan and Bizier he was becoming frustrating but taking the GGG fight showed he has big set of nuts. I know there was money there for him but that's ultimately what boxing is generally about for these guys, and fair play.

To then remain at WW when his team were clearly not keen shows that he wants to be a true champion. I must admit, I didn't expect this fight to happen and thought we'd see Brook at light middle.

I rewatched the GGG fight the other night. I think Brook did very very well. Yes I know the reality is the fight was stopped before half way and he ended up 'taking a beating'. But, he boxed very very well IMO, he caught GGG with some good shots, and showed he's got a big heart to match his skills. Ultimately it came down to GGG being the bigger man, Brooks shots were just boucing off him. I believe P4P Brook is better than GGG, possibly a bold assesment and one could say Brooks relative success against GGG came down to the fact that he could never hurt him, so GGG just was jsut wrecklessly trying to walk through him. I'm not so sure though, I think Brooks got skills and i think he might be the type of fighter that does better on the big occasions.

He's one of my favourite British fighters right now and hopefully win lose or draw against Spence he gets some big fights to finish off his career and for us all to enjoy.

I can;t call the Spence fight. I havent seen loads of him but I watched his highlight reel the other night, the guy looks like a super fit, super strong, boxing machine. I think this is going to be a great fight and I can't wait.

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Thu 06 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

Two victories from becoming a British legend too, Truss

Only Spence and Thurman mind..

Let's hope the winner can fight Thurman this year, Brook sounds like he wants that fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:03 am

Not saying this to be antagonistic but from what i've seen the winner of Brook/Spence would be a massive favourite against Thurman, if I were either i'd be pursuing that fight straight away before moving up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:04 am

Herman Jaeger wrote:Two victories from becoming a British legend too, Truss

Only Spence and Thurman mind..

Let's hope the winner can fight Thurman this year, Brook sounds like he wants that fight

He won't get much cerdit for a Spence win....Which is another reason I admire him taking the fight in an era when titles mean diddly.

Spence is an unbeaten prospect......He'll be "overrated" if Brook wins........Lacy was all hype in certain quarters after Calzaghe outboxed him.....That was a great win for Calzaghe for me no matter what revisionists think..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:07 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:1. Went to the US to fight an at the time highly regarded Champion in Porter..

2. Got stuck in with the number 1 fighter in Boxing and carried on with a bad injury for two rounds.

3. Fighting a 50/50 with Spence when he has options..

If you haven't got anytime for this guy...Boxing isn't for you !!

Huge respect for this kid..

Totally agree Truss.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 06 Apr 2017, 10:44 am

Good article and agree fully. Not many big names on the record, but he has really put himself forward these last couple of years.

I too believe both these guys would probably beat Thurman. Thurman looks good, but he isn't that great.

I hope Brook wins, but I still think Spence.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:14 pm

The Porter win was a very good one - one of the better away wins from a British fighter. Porter was a titlist (top ten ranked contender in old money) who's more or less gone evens up with fair to middling talents Thurman and Broner. Solid win.

Aside from that, his career has been disappointing. The Golovkin win was a cash grab by Matchroom. Brook showed great ambition and guts but was wiped out - far too small to compete with GGG.

Unfortunately, the Spence fight has become career-defining and I don't like his chances (I still don't believe Spence signed up to VADA).

Have a lot of time for Brook as a fighter and will hopefully be making the trip to see the fight.

Last edited by hazharrison on Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

Spence Jr signed up for VADA testing a few weeks ago now, 'not sure' what the hold up was.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:24 pm

Good news for Brook.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:42 pm

hazharrison wrote:The Porter win was a very good one - one of the better away wins from a British fighter. Porter was a titlist (top ten ranked contender in old money) who's more or less gone evens up with fair to middling talents Thurman and Broner. Solid win.

Aside from that, his career has been disappointing. The Golovkin win was a cash grab by Matchroom. Brook showed great ambition and guts but was wiped out - far too small to compete with GGG.

You are so dismissive..

"Fair to middling talents..." Just stop it !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:55 pm

hazharrison wrote:The Porter win was a very good one - one of the better away wins from a British fighter. Porter was a titlist (top ten ranked contender in old money) who's more or less gone evens up with fair to middling talents Thurman and Broner. Solid win.

Unfortunately, the Spence fight has become career-defining and I don't like his chances (I still don't believe Spence signed up to VADA).

Have a lot of time for Brook as a fighter and will hopefully be making the trip to see the fight.

Pretty much spot on ! Brook has only beaten and fought (bar the GGG cash hunt) one guy in the top 25 in how many years ? Not sure he deserves an award for facing his mandatory challenger.
Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 12:57 pm

Rodney wrote:

Pretty much spot on ! Brook has only beaten and fought (bar the GGG cash hunt) one guy in the top 25 in how many years ? Not sure he deserves an award for facing his mandatory challenger.
Cheers, Rodders

What is wrong with a welterweight fighting for the middleweight crown ???? Lots of fighters have done it.....

Brook did better than Murray, Macklin and Geale...

You don't like Hearn.....Declare your interest..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Not saying anything is wrong Truss - but everyone knew it was a unwinnable task. You've wrote an article praising a guy fighting his mandatory whom lets be honest has faced one of the worst run of challengers in recent memory.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:01 pm

It's the need for hyperbole that always devalues an opinion, I'd wage almost all of his opponents in recent years have been in the top 25, not something to write home about admittedly but makes you realise the level you're arguing against.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:04 pm

Nothing hyperbole about it, name an opponent who'd have a top 25 ranking ? just shows the standard boxing has set itself nowadays - a guy facing a dangerous mandatory and he's a hero ??

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:45 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You are so dismissive..

Porter and Thurman, like Brook, are decent welterweights. Broner is a notch below that and has struggled at the weight. "Fair" may have been a bit of a harsh critique of Thurman, however, he was underwhelming against Garcia (who also flattered to deceive). Would anyone bet on Thurman to beat the remnants of Pacquiao for example? I'm not sure I would.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 1:46 pm

Rodney wrote:Nothing hyperbole about it, name an opponent who'd have a top 25 ranking ? just shows the standard boxing has set itself nowadays - a guy facing a dangerous mandatory and he's a hero ??

Cheers

Maybe change the goal posts. He's faced one top ten welterweight in his entire career (two if Senchenko managed to scrape in at the time).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Jermaine2015 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:02 pm

1 decent win in a 11 year career. More likely to win bum of the year rather than a ticket to the HoF.

Jermaine2015

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:04 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You are so dismissive..

Porter and Thurman, like Brook, are decent welterweights. Broner is a notch below that and has struggled at the weight. "Fair" may have been a bit of a harsh critique of Thurman, however, he was underwhelming against Garcia (who also flattered to deceive). Would anyone bet on Thurman to beat the remnants of Pacquiao for example? I'm not sure I would.

Styles make fights......I'd pick Breland to beat Mayweather but I'd pick Mayweather to beat Starling....

If Thurman couldn't beat Manny so what (I think he would beat him).......Doesn't make him just decent...Life isn't black and white....

You're too dismissive..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You are so dismissive..

Styles make fights......I'd pick Breland to beat Mayweather but I'd pick Mayweather to beat Starling....

If Thurman couldn't beat Manny so what (I think he would beat him).......Doesn't make him just decent...Life isn't black and white....

You're too dismissive..

Tell me why he's better than just decent then? He's been in with two good fighters in Porter and Garcia and went about evens up with them.

You make some really strange arguments. Makes me wonder if you've seen half of these guys fight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:33 pm

hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You are so dismissive..

You're too dismissive..

Tell me why he's better than just decent then? He's been in with two good fighters in Porter and Garcia and went about evens up with them.

You make some really strange arguments. Makes me wonder if you've seen half of these guys fight.

You can't debate can you ???......Always having digs.....

....Starling lost to Pedro Vilella and struggled with Fujio Ozaki.......Guess he's fair too.. thumbsup

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 2:51 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:

You are so dismissive..

You're too dismissive..

You can't debate can you ???......Always having digs.....

....Starling lost to Pedro Vilella and struggled with Fujio Ozaki.......Guess he's fair too.. thumbsup

I couldn't see Thurman hanging with Sterling, Breland or the likes of McGirt and Brown (put it that way).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:01 pm

That's better !!... Cool ...

I think it is too early to say how good Thurman is because he's winning and learning......

Brook struggled with Carson Jones and moved on...

All about opinions..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:12 pm

Rodney wrote:Nothing hyperbole about it, name an opponent who'd have a top 25 ranking ? just shows the standard boxing has set itself nowadays - a guy facing a dangerous mandatory and he's a hero ??

Cheers

Just to be pedantic, Brook has fought about 15 top 25 ranked boxers, his problem is that he fought in the 10-20 for far too long.

Porter, Jackiewicz and Senchenko by virtue of beating Hatton were all ranked in the top ten which is agreed poor form for someone of Brook's talent.

JoJo Dan, Bizier, Gavin, Hatton, Jennings, Saldivar, N'Dou and Jones were all ranked in the top 25, in itself that would be a decent education for a boxer pre world title and is a path I don't think is followed enough now. The issue that I agree with is that Dan, Bizier and Gavin is probably the worst trio of title defences you're likely to find, he didn't transition from fringe to world level at all.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:36 pm

Nah what this proves is that Brook didn't lie when he said he wanted to keep the belt, so regardless of WHO the mandatory is he will fight them

That shows consistency

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 06 Apr 2017, 3:37 pm

Jackiewicz? Surprised at that (what top ten are you looking at)?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:22 am

hazharrison wrote:Jackiewicz? Surprised at that (what top ten are you looking at)?

God knows back of Rice Krispie box I think. - Brook has had a very slow burner of a career, I like Brook but he seems to receive too many plaudits for his achievements.

Winning the linear title and being scorched in the sun in Puerto Rico , fighting arguably the best lightweight ever in his adopted house, constantly fighting abroad and displaying his skills - travelling to Italy, Japan, France and the likes of.. That's a real road warrior - save the plaudits for someone like Buchanan. Fans easily pleased nowadays.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:30 am

Jackiewicz was ranked number 10 by the ring magazine at the time of their fight, he'd split a series and beaten Rodriquez which must have been enough to see him scrape in.

Why would we save the plaudits for a guy who's been retired for 30 odd years, too many people are stuck in the past.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:41 am

Rodney wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Jackiewicz? Surprised at that (what top ten are you looking at)?

God knows back of Rice Krispie box I think. - Brook has had a very slow burner of a career, I like Brook but he seems to receive too many plaudits for his achievements.

Winning the linear title and being scorched in the sun in Puerto Rico , fighting arguably the best lightweight ever in his adopted house, constantly fighting abroad and displaying his skills - travelling to Italy, Japan, France and the likes of.. That's a real road warrior - save the plaudits for someone like Buchanan. Fans easily pleased nowadays.

Cheers

Whilst there is problems with boxing, especially amongst people avoiding fights, we should be giving Brook Plaudits for fighting Spence a lot of people claimed it wouldn't happen and that he'd move weights to avoid it, a lot of people said Brook would only fight Gimme's and then he took on GGG. No this fight doesn't make him an ATG, but what it does do is show that the fighter himself is willing to step up to the plate and THAT should be applauded.

Yes he's had a slow career but is that him or his managment?

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:45 am

Why should we be giving him plaudits ? He has faced two mandatory challengers in a tedious title reign and this is his first significant test.. I'd love to know what his options were other than this ?

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Apr 2017, 9:57 am

didn't realise GGG was a mandatory challenger for his belt, how did that one get past everyone?

He could have moved up and avoided Spence altogether, every man, his dog and his pet snake knows that Kell's big for the weight and has struggled sometimes to get it off. He would have had a legitimate reason to avoid Spence (although he would have been mocked (rightly so imo) for it.

In this day and age where it's easy for boxers to move around to avoid fights then i don't really see why you want to grind him down.

Unless of course you were one of the ones saying he was gonna be starched in one by GGG and that he would avoid Spence at all costs (I know I did)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:36 am

Derbymanc wrote:didn't realise GGG was a mandatory challenger for his belt, how did that one get past everyone?

He could have moved up and avoided Spence altogether, every man, his dog and his pet snake knows that Kell's big for the weight and has struggled sometimes to get it off. He would have had a legitimate reason to avoid Spence (although he would have been mocked (rightly so imo) for it.

In this day and age where it's easy for boxers to move around to avoid fights then i don't really see why you want to grind him down.

Unless of course you were one of the ones saying he was gonna be starched in one by GGG and that he would avoid Spence at all costs (I know I did)

It's nothing to do with Brook..............It is more to do with people who have a generally negative disposition...

They are the types you take the stairs instead of the lift to avoid..

Present company excluded of course Derby !! angel

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:36 am

Derbymanc wrote:didn't realise GGG was a mandatory challenger for his belt, how did that one get past everyone?

It's nothing to do with Brook..............It is more to do with people who have a generally negative disposition...

They are the types you take the stairs instead of the lift to avoid..

Present company excluded of course Derby !! angel

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:47 am

Nothing negative Truss - just facts... Brook has fought next to no one for the majority of his career, has had a title reign which surpasses that of Joshua and Wilder and you create a article praising him for taking on his unproven mandatory in his hometown and show - you're easily pleased nowadays mate.

What were his options other than this BTW ? Derby says he could've moved up and fought who exactly ?? This is the biggest payday for Hearn and Brook and when they realised this they signed the deal lets not kid ourselves.

Cheers

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

After his showing against GGG they could have put him in with anyone and sold it as PPV, any promoter worth his salt could make money off that angle and i'm pretty sure (although I could be wrong, not often though :-) )that they Eddie said he didn't want Brook fighting Spence as they could make more money moving up.

I'm not saying Brooks the no.1 p4p best boxer that's ever stepped btween the ropes, i'm saying he deserves some credit for taking what everyone said was a very dangerous mandatory (although i am no noticing posts here there and elsewhere pointing out how Spence could very well be overrated, so people are getting their excuses in already)

I'm a changed man Truss (sometimes heh heh), i'm trying to focus on the better things rather than the miserable stuff. And I do think that what some consider the 'real' fans (no we're not btw, some of us just think that) should acknowledge a good/brave decision regardless of who makes it

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:03 am

Just watched Brook v GGG again. Am I the only one that thinks that Brook would of beat him, had he been a natural 160 fighter?

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:07 am

Don't believe that for one second Derby - Brook needed a biggish name to be sold as a sole headline on PPV in the UK otherwise we wouldn't be seeing him against Spence.

Yeah and I think you are Adam - I was in attendance at the O2 that night and GGG showed him no respect and battered him - Brook won one round whats your point ?
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:09 am

He only beat him because he was bigger and stronger. That is my POINT!

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:13 am

AdamT wrote:He only beat him because he was bigger and stronger. That is my POINT!

Yes and a silly one - I'm sure Joshua would beat Roman Gonzalez because his bigger and stronger.
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

No i thought Brook looked good as well against GGG (helped change my opinion on him anyway)

Yeah I do believe it, the same way I believe that some people are incredibly annoyed that he took the fight as a lot said he'd duck him.

Oh and Spence isn't a big name in the UK, especially to the PPV market

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:14 am

It's the only reason he beat Brook. He just rushed in wild, because he knew that Brook couldn't seriously hurt him. Brook boxed well and I just wish he was bigger.

Oh well only a matter of time until the hype is killed.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:19 am

Derbymanc wrote:No i thought Brook looked good as well against GGG (helped change my opinion on him anyway)

Yeah I do believe it, the same way I believe that some people are incredibly annoyed that he took the fight as a lot said he'd duck him.

Brook done ok but lets face it he won 1 round and got battered and stopped in 13 minutes - people go over the top.

Ok I agree Spence isn't a big name over here - but boxing fans aren't stupid - If Brook would've fought someone else (not a big name) he'd have come in for a scathing attack and backlash (rightly so) so give me a name who he could've fought please.

Cheers
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

AdamT wrote:It's the only reason he beat Brook. He just rushed in wild, because he knew that Brook couldn't seriously hurt him. Brook boxed well and I just wish he was bigger.

Adam he took Brook lightly and smashed him - your point is childish. I wish Manny Pacquaio was bigger to clean out the divisions but he isn't and GGG is a better fighter (stellar amateur and No 1 in his division) than Brook period.

What hype the guy is no 1 in the world and been avoided in his twilight years.

Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

Why did he get battered?

Was it because GGG out boxed him? Or did he just use size and power?

If GGG moved up two divisions (he never would have that courage) and Kovalev battered him (he would), would you say Kovalev is bigger? Or better??

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:22 am

Rodney wrote:
AdamT wrote:It's the only reason he beat Brook. He just rushed in wild, because he knew that Brook couldn't seriously hurt him. Brook boxed well and I just wish he was bigger.

Adam he took Brook lightly and smashed him - your point is childish.  I wish Manny Pacquaio was bigger to clean out the divisions but he isn't and GGG is a better fighter (stellar amateur and No 1 in his division) than Brook period.

What hype the guy is no 1 in the world and been avoided in his twilight years.

Your fanboy attitude is childish for a 38 year old man Rodney.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:23 am

Rodney wrote:
Derbymanc wrote:No i thought Brook looked good as well against GGG (helped change my opinion on him anyway)

Brook done ok but lets face it he won 1 round and got battered and stopped in 13 minutes - people go over the top.

Ok I agree Spence isn't a big name over here - but boxing fans aren't stupid - If Brook would've fought someone else (not a big name) he'd have come in for a scathing attack and backlash (rightly so) so give me a name who he could've fought please.

Cheers

Boxing fans are stupid............They don't give a guy who fights the best when he doesn't have to any credit..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 07 Apr 2017, 11:24 am

Why would GGG outbox him when he could just treat him like he did ? GGG is a better fighter than Brook period - he beat him up in 4 and half rounds what more do you want.

I don't think Kovalev would treat GGG in the same amout of distain do you ?
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next