The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vern Cotter

+11
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RuggerRadge2611
propdavid_london
Mad for Chelsea
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Scottrf
carpet baboon
IanBru
Cyril
tigertattie
alive555
15 posters

Go down

Vern Cotter Empty Vern Cotter

Post by alive555 Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:37 am

Any coach who can take a side to 5th in the world with only 2 players deemed good enough for the entire lions squad must be by some distance the greatest coach on earth Very Happy

alive555

Back to top Go down

Vern Cotter Empty Re: Vern Cotter

Post by Guest Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:13 am

And then you go and sack him picard

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:16 am

Griff wrote:And then you go and sack him picard

Woah there! We didn't sack him! The eejits in the SRU did!

We're just as perplexed by the whole situation as you are!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:16 am

You can't go giving Scottish fans a reason to be cheerful. It brings them out in hives.

He had to go!

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:19 am

tigertattie wrote:

Woah there! We didn't sack him! The eejits in the SRU did!

We're just as perplexed by the whole situation as you are!

Obviously the SRU. When I said 'you' I didn't mean 606 posters.

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 20 Apr 2017, 9:24 am

Actually, I did sack him.

Sorry everyone.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:52 am

Was he actually sacked? Or did they not offer a new contract?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:53 am

carpet baboon wrote:Was he actually sacked? Or did they not offer a new contract?

The second and I'm not sure he would have accepted anyway. Perhaps they even did offer one.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:57 am

True he could have told them he had an offer elsewhere and he wanted to go. It's a shame i liked the gruff barsteward

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:59 am

carpet baboon wrote:True he could have told them he had an offer elsewhere and he wanted to go. It's a shame i liked the gruff barsteward

As I understand it the SRU were worried they were going to lose Townsend so opted to promote him as a carrot. Which left Cotter facing a demotion to stay, so he opted to take the Montpelier cash instead
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:05 am

Pete C (Kiwireddevil) wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:True he could have told them he had an offer elsewhere and he wanted to go. It's a shame i liked the gruff barsteward

As I understand it the SRU were worried they were going to lose Townsend so opted to promote him as a carrot. Which left Cotter facing a demotion to stay, so he opted to take the Montpelier cash instead

Bit harsh on cotter. Can understand them wanting to keep Townsend but surly some deal could of been struck for them both

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:09 am

Good on SRU for backing their own

Unlike England, Wales and Ireland

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:13 am

I'm not too worried. Toonie is an excellent coach and I'm sure he'll do just fine with Scotland. Having said that, a worry of losing him in the future strikes me as a little weird: I'm sure he'd have been just as happy to take on the top job a couple more years down the line.

Here's also hoping Cotter can get Montpellier moving on from the dour style of play they developed under White, they used to be such an attractive team to watch...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:22 am

Montpellier were playing that style with Trinh-Duc at 10.
I am sure that Townsend will do fine, but does seem strange that they couldn't get VC and Greg working together!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:47 am

propdavid_london wrote:Montpellier were playing that style with Trinh-Duc at 10.
I am sure that Townsend will do fine, but does seem strange that they couldn't get VC and Greg working together!

I would have let Toonie go to France, or England or wherever he wanted to go. He would always always always come back to the Scotland job. He could have gone out, earned a bit of cash, gained more experience and returned to Scotland a more rounded coach.

This would have allowed Cotter to go onto the next RWC cycle and finish what he started.

Rennie and Cockers at Glasgow and Edinburgh are great coaches and they both will bring exactly what the 2 scottish pro clubs need. However I would have retained Cotter.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:59 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:I would have let Toonie go to France, or England or wherever he wanted to go. He would always always always come back to the Scotland job. He could have gone out, earned a bit of cash, gained more experience and returned to Scotland a more rounded coach.

This would have allowed Cotter to go onto the next RWC cycle and finish what he started.

Rennie and Cockers at Glasgow and Edinburgh are great coaches and they both will bring exactly what the 2 scottish pro clubs need. However I would have retained Cotter.

I think a lot if not most Scotland fans completely agree Radge, there is simply no way Toonie would've turned down the Scotland job in a few years after going off and getting more experience in England or France. The SRU could probably have hinted to him that it would be a good idea to seek a contract that is the same length as whatever extension was to be offered to Cotter.

Its an opportunity missed, but hey ho its done now and we move on.

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 3:22 pm

Lol the Scots still celebrating a fourth place finish.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 20 Apr 2017, 5:11 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:Lol the Scots still celebrating a fourth place finish.

Why shouldn't they! Just missed 5th by a whisker and look at the goodies that befell that side. Hug

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 5:30 pm

SecretFly wrote:

Why shouldn't they!  Just missed 5th by a whisker and look at the goodies that befell that side. Hug

It's better to get a top place finish and that's something Cotter's side haven't got. By the way, 22-9 Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 20 Apr 2017, 5:41 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
SecretFly wrote:

Why shouldn't they!  Just missed 5th by a whisker and look at the goodies that befell that side. Hug

It's better to get a top place finish and that's something Cotter's side haven't got. By the way, 22-9 Wink.

Aren't you glad that ravishing form didn't continue! Had you made it to 2nd, you'd have gotten one less Lion than you have now!

5th...it's a magic number Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Apr 2017, 6:54 pm

So, the culmination of Cotter's tenure sees a whopping fourth place finish, whilst Joe Schmidt loses the Ireland dressing room along with his monocle. At least Gatland is back with Wales next year - back to winning ways for Wales next season, right after their players carry everyone else to a Lions series win (again) Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:32 am

mikey_dragon wrote:So, the culmination of Cotter's tenure sees a whopping fourth place finish, whilst Joe Schmidt loses the Ireland dressing room along with his monocle. At least Gatland is back with Wales next year - back to winning ways for Wales next season, right after their players carry everyone else to a Lions series win (again) Wink.

The worst part of this is that I'm not entirely sure this is supposed to be a joke.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:37 am

Ah Mikey is spikey in his passionate Welsh way.... but he likes a laugh.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:40 am

mikey_dragon wrote:So, the culmination of Cotter's tenure sees a whopping fourth place finish, whilst Joe Schmidt loses the Ireland dressing room along with his monocle. At least Gatland is back with Wales next year - back to winning ways for Wales next season, right after their players carry everyone else to a Lions series win (again) Wink.
If Gatland wins the series (nurse, my medication!) the NZRU will be ripping up his return ticket to Wales and asking him how many zeroes should be put on his cheque. Their money is safe though.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm

NZ can't afford to steal from the NH. We just take the unsuccessful dregs like Henry and Hansen.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:50 pm

nganboy wrote:NZ can't afford to steal from the NH. We just take the unsuccessful dregs like Henry and Hansen.
Have you spent all that Lord of the Rings money already?

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:54 pm

Cyril wrote:
If Gatland wins the series (nurse, my medication!) the NZRU will be ripping up his return ticket to Wales and asking him how many zeroes should be put on his cheque. Their money is safe though.

If Galtand loses the series (3 - 0) the WRU will be selling him at a bargain rate on a street corner in Aukland, hoping to save their share of the Lions funding needed to get him back to Heathrow.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down