The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

+52
Exiledinborders
Sin é
international198
tazfalklands
king_carlos
BamBam
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
BigGee
jimbopip
The Great Aukster
SimonofSurrey
Gooseberry
eirebilly
David-Douglas
EST
formerly known as Sam
Mr Bounce
Cardiff Dave
Hammersmith harrier
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
No9
Thunderthighs
zombiesurvivalman
TrailApe
kingelderfield
Rugbyjk
R!skysports
ChequeredJersey
GunsGermsV2
No 7&1/2
lostinwales
Rory_Gallagher
majesticimperialman
Rugby Fan
Breadvan
Poorfour
RuggerRadge2611
mikey_dragon
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
robbo277
TightHEAD
LordDowlais
Scottrf
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
Taylorman
Luckless Pedestrian
Cyril
Ozzy3213
Gwlad
56 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 4 Empty Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by Gwlad Wed 26 Apr 2017, 4:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

Since we're all being so nice to each other and we haven't had one for a while,  i thought we needed to relieve some tension with a new Lions thread.

We know that by the 1st test there will be at least 15-20% casualties so we'll lose up to 8 players. Its likely we'll lose a couple before the squad even leaves and unlike the boyos at Rorke's Drift Gatland can call on reinforcements to swell the ranks to hold off the All Black hordes. With the club games and well documented All Black perceptions of what is and what isn't foul/dangerous play, it could get messy.

I expect the following to get the nod in this order. I've picked players who should have been in the squad, are leaders, or who are former Lions and can make an impact.

Props: Healy, Jenkins, Evans,
Props: Nel, Lee, Francis
Hookers: Hartley, Brown, Hibbard
Locks: Launchbury, Ryan, R Gray, Charteris,
Flank: Watson, Lydiate, Wobshaw
8: Heaslip, ?
9: Care, Davies
10: Ford, Russell.
Centre: Roberts, Ringrose
back 3: Kearney. Never Mike Brown

Fire at will.

Last edited by Gwlad on Wed 10 May 2017, 6:28 pm; edited 3 times in total

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 4 Empty Re: Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 7:41 pm

Heh

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts) - Page 4 Empty Re: Lions reinforcements (or why we should learn to love Roberts)

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 7:42 pm

Good squad selection.ahem.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:42 pm

The others? Oh you mean Sexton because all the other points were scored by Welshmen. Except for a solitary try by Corbisiero.

Saw many Welsh which was wrong, what yo mean after us winning 6 Nations in rather spectacular fashion Very Happy

But this time you want to be involved as England are regarded as preeminent QED you're a fair-weather fan.

Glad Sam taught you something about leadership.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 7:44 pm

You are a little joke my little brother. Enjoy being part of a good team, for once.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:44 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:You are a little joke my little brother. Enjoy being part of a good team, for once.

ad hominem, please refrain (look it up)

And stop suggesting we're related, no chance I could be related to someone who is a fair weather fan.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:46 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Good squad selection.ahem.

Its replacements Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 10 May 2017, 7:46 pm

So its halfpenny fault we didn't whitewash the aussie s.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:47 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:So its halfpenny fault we didn't whitewash the aussie s.

No it's Halfpenny's fault we won the Lions tour.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 7:49 pm

Ok, seriously, what Welsh in current form start?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 10 May 2017, 7:49 pm

Yup he messed up and cost us the whitewash. I agree with you gwlad.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:57 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Yup he messed up and cost us the whitewash. I agree with you gwlad.

Don't, it makes me look really much worse than is fair.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 7:59 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Ok, seriously, what Welsh in current form start?

No thanks, I dont debate with fair weather 'fans' who only support the lions because they think their side is going to dominate.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:03 pm

Easy little lad,we all come 5th at some point. Hugs.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:06 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Easy little lad,we all come 5th at some point. Hugs.

I guess you were what, 10th at the last RWC?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 May 2017, 8:07 pm

Gwlad wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Rugby knowledge is proportional with how much you rate Robshaw.

No surprise then that Gwlad who finished roughly bottom of the 6 Nations prediction competition doesn't rate him.

Ahhh the World renowned 606v2 6 Nations competition, anyone who seriously puts any weight on performance in said competition is obviously doing better than Chris Robshaw who lead his team to the first ignominious (look it up Scott) failure to qualify of a host RWC Nation from the pool stages, largely by not taking the points to level the game ( Doh )

This is why Welsh players like AWJ who listen to their kickers get selected for Lions tours and Wobshaws dont.

That is all any of us needs to know

What do Robshaw's failures as a captain (let's accept what you say, despite some... interesting... parallels possible to draw between his decision making and AWJ's this year...) have to do with his ability to play as a member of the squad? I wasn't suggesting he should be captain!

Much like Warburton, he has been better since no longer being captain, was missed by England this year at 6, played bloody well for England at 6 in the unbeaten run, was Jones' player of the 6N last year, arguably player of the Australia tour and AIs as well. But no, he made some bad calls in the RWC, so he must be a Poopie flanker too...

Rolling Eyes Erm thumbsdown

By all means disagree with my narrative above or criticise his play, but keep it relevant!

Also, unsure why you need to refer to him as Wobshaw. We should all be using his official title, King Sir Lord Marquess Christopher Robshaw of Albion, the First of his Name
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 May 2017, 8:09 pm

Weirdly, you've even kept Robshaw in your replacements in your original post...

I don't think I'll ever understand you
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 10 May 2017, 8:14 pm

Not sure it's possible to make you look worse gwlad but if you think halfpenny cost us the whitewash ill reluctantly agree.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 May 2017, 8:16 pm

Personally I think you're being harsh on 2013 Halfpenny, No 7&1/2, I think at that time any of us would have loved to have him playing for England
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 May 2017, 8:17 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Weirdly, you've even kept Robshaw in your replacements in your original post...

Though I notice edited the post to say "Wobshaw"
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:20 pm

Little lad, we all miss you?

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 10 May 2017, 8:22 pm

But cj the only people who matter are the point scorers. Hence halfpenny alone cost us with that last min miss. Gwlad is right and it's only fair to give him his due.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:23 pm

Yup, he missed

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:24 pm

Not in same bracket as ROG though

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:31 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Weirdly, you've even kept Robshaw in your replacements in your original post...

Behind Watson and Lydiate. being a lion and being a replacement lion are two different things, ask Wade

For example Wood and brown will never get a call up, likewise Haskell very unlikely.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:32 pm

I wonder if Rugbyjk is capable of constructing a post with more than one sentence or does he have to send us his stream of consciousness (term used loosely) line by monotonous line? Bit like Mike brown in a presser.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:35 pm

Gwlad, I will wager alot, so a fiver to you, I know much more than you. Oh, about rugby too.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:38 pm

You are probably a 21 year old, still with his parents possibly ( and I mean no disrespect to people in this profession) shovelling crap

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:39 pm

Thanks for making my point ad nauseam.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 10 May 2017, 8:40 pm

This is getting personal. I'm out
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:43 pm

JK?

Not really, its like having a puppy drop one in the fridge to get your attention

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:51 pm

Little fella, u came 5 the, ur crap. Accept it. Night!

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:52 pm

(fifth!!!!!)

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:53 pm

Ha ha ha ha ha night!

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 8:55 pm

Like I said, JK puppy -fridge- poop- attention.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:56 pm

PS FIFTH lmfao FIFTH!!!!!!

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugbyjk Wed 10 May 2017, 8:59 pm

Night all, ps Gwlad little laddie, fifth. How dya feel Mr fifth? Good eh fifth? U joke.

Rugbyjk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 9:09 pm

Oh dear, have you had an accident?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 10 May 2017, 9:42 pm

Rugbyjk wrote:Night all, ps Gwlad little laddie, fifth. How dya feel Mr fifth? Good eh fifth? U joke.

Ha ha, It's gone from sonny to little laddie, soon we'll need to get the breas!t out!

It's not You Ben button is it? laughing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Wed 10 May 2017, 9:51 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Rugbyjk wrote:Night all, ps Gwlad little laddie, fifth. How dya feel Mr fifth? Good eh fifth? U joke.

Ha ha, It's gone from sonny to little laddie, soon we'll need to get the breas!t out!

It's not You Ben button is it? laughing

I bet you have a lovely pair Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 11 May 2017, 2:14 pm

He's a disgruntled human channeling his frustration online, rather than addressing whatever he is unhappy with in his life, exemplified by the fact that he paints himself as an ardent Welshman, yet lives half the world away, and probably has a sense of inferiority about it as a result, having to bait posters of other countries so they respond in kind, belittling Wales, and therefore making himself feel more 'Welsh'.

All in all it's both sad to watch, and extremely boring and frustrating, as one person's personal crisis makes the forum a series of back and forth, tit for tat arguments about nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:09 pm

Ok so this thread crashed and burned like a good'en, BUT the issue of Lions reinforcements is of real consequence to the outcome/success of this tour.

Now anyone who has read my posts will know that I have very mixed emotions regarding the place of the Lions in the modern professional game, however putting all that to one side, as romantic follies go, this is close to being the ultimate celebration in a tired old world.  

So with the games now soon to be afoot, unfortunately and sadly, the injuries and retirees will no doubt be upon us. Therefore while wishing good health and good luck to all those representing this wonderful if rather crazy expedition, can everyone from here on on keep it positive (no I in team but there's a U in......) and just to the promotion of replacements by name and reason if you so wish.

As an English person of limited knowledge I'll start it off with the players I expect to be called up;

Care
Genge
Hartley
Hughes
Launchbury

Additionally I'll add to that with the Irish centre Ringrose who is a wonderful talent in a very competitive position.

Just remember Agincourt boys, 'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers' (Ed. Stop it now. No you can't do the whole speech!)

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:29 pm

kingelderfield wrote:
Care
Genge
Hartley
Hughes
Launchbury

I also can't see Genge going over an experienced international player like Evans or Healy.

I'd suggest that Hartley and Care are next cabs off the rank, while Launchbury and Hughes are probably right in contention too, with the Gray brothers options at lock and Heaslip an option at 8. While I'd be individually delighted for all of them, it would ruin our tour to Argentina.

One player I'd love to get a call-up would be Robshaw. Again, it would hurt our tour, but he's been a consistently good player for England for 6 years now, and possibly would have been earlier under a different coach.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:34 pm

According to the press releases, Owens was the only player not in consideration due to injury. (The 10 players involved in the matches this last weekend were also not considered). Owens is apparently "hopeful" of being fit for Match 3 vs Crusaders. This does of course mean that George and Best will be playing again midweek. Of itself not a major issue - but should Owens not be fit enough to start against Crusaders they should probably be looking at calling up a replacement/addition.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TrailApe Thu 01 Jun 2017, 2:22 pm

For example Wood and brown will never get a call up, likewise Haskell very unlikely.

Hmmm...
TrailApe
TrailApe

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Thu 01 Jun 2017, 3:35 pm

robbo277 wrote:
kingelderfield wrote:
Care
Genge
Hartley
Hughes
Launchbury

I also can't see Genge going over an experienced international player like Evans or Healy.

I'd suggest that Hartley and Care are next cabs off the rank, while Launchbury and Hughes are probably right in contention too, with the Gray brothers options at lock and Heaslip an option at 8. While I'd be individually delighted for all of them, it would ruin our tour to Argentina.

One player I'd love to get a call-up would be Robshaw. Again, it would hurt our tour, but he's been a consistently good player for England for 6 years now, and possibly would have been earlier under a different coach.

Heaslip isnt in contention. He just had surgery on a "potentially career ending" injury. He has said in an interview that he wouldn't be able to tour even if he wanted to.

I would also love to see Robshaw get called up too. He is one of the best players around not to get on a Lions tour. Trimble too but Im biased there.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by zombiesurvivalman Thu 01 Jun 2017, 7:42 pm

Rob Evans has been ruled out of the welsh tour

zombiesurvivalman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:13 am

And Cian Healy didn't fare well against Samson Lee when he came off the bench for Leinster against the Scarlets.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:50 pm

Jamie Roberts about to get called up for his 3rd Lions tour Very Happy

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:55 pm

Yep it's going to happen, Gats mates get rewarded for finishing 5th in the 6 nations
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:08 pm

Telegraph reporting that Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Gareth Davies plus 2 Scots are being called up to bench vs the Chiefs. laughing

music SCW in disguise music
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next