The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

+59
Ozzy3213
David-Douglas
majesticimperialman
alfie
Rugby Fan
Rory_Gallagher
international198
SirJohnnyEnglish
Engine#4
Rugbyjk
compelling and rich
LordDowlais
carpet baboon
nathan
Hammersmith harrier
lostinwales
BigTrevsbigmac
RiscaGame
Don Alfonso
BigGee
Luckless Pedestrian
beshocked
chris_501
Sgt_Pooly
Pot Hale
The Great Aukster
munkian
CraigS1874
Exiledinborders
kingelderfield
wayne
eirebilly
marty2086
Cyril
RuggerRadge2611
IanBru
mikey_dragon
GunsGermsV2
EST
tigertattie
Scottrf
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
No 7&1/2
ebop
emack2
Taylorman
rodders
RDW
cascough
funnyExiledScot
George Carlin
robbo277
Gwlad
BamBam
propdavid_london
TheMildlyFranticLlama
LondonTiger
aucklandlaurie
Gooseberry
63 posters

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 3 Empty New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by George Carlin Thu 04 May 2017, 7:08 am

First topic message reminder :

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 3 New_ze10                          New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 3 Lions_10
New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions
3 June 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
Toll Stadium, Whangarei, North Island

Live on Sky Sports, Sky Sports HD and SkyGo

Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)
Touch judges: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. FORM:

These teams have not played each other before.

B. TEAMS:

New Zealand Barbarians 
1. Aidan Ross (Bay of Plenty)
2. Sam Anderson-Heather - captain (Otago)
3. Oliver Jager (Canterbury)
4. Josh Goodhue (Northland)
5. Keepa Mewett (Bay of Plenty)
6. James Tucker (Waikato)
7. Lachlan Boshier (Taranaki)
8. Mitchell Dunshea (Canterbury)

9. Jack Stratton (Canterbury)
10. Bryn Gatland (North Harbour)
11. Sevu Reece (Waikato)
12. Dwayne Sweeney (Waikato)
13. Inga Finau (Canterbury)
14. Sam Vaka (Counties Manukau)
15. Luteru Laulala (Counties Manukau)

16. Andrew Makalio (Tasman)
17. Tolu Fahamokioa (Wellington)
18. Marcel Renata (Auckland)
19. Matt Matich (Northland)
20. Peter Rowe - vice captain (Wanganui)
21. Richard Judd (Bay of Plenty)
22. Jonah Lowe (Hawke's Bay)
23. Junior Ngaluafe (Southland)

British & Irish Lions
15. S Hogg (Scotland)
14. A Watson
13. J Joseph
12. B Te'o (all Eng)
11. T Seymour (Sco)
10. J Sexton (Ire)
09. G Laidlaw (Sco)

01. J Marler (Eng)
02. R Best (Ire)
03. K Sinckler (Eng)
04. A Jones (Wal)
05. I Henderson (Ire)
06. R Moriarty
07. S Warburton
08. T Faletau (all Wal)

16. J George
17. M Vunipola (both Eng)
18. T Furlong (Ire)
19. G Kruis (Eng)
20. J Tipuric
21. R Webb (both Wal)
22. O Farrell (Eng)
23. J Payne (Ire)

C. PREVIEW

Last edited by George Carlin on Fri 02 Jun 2017, 8:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:38 am

munkian wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Interesting side, looking forward to seeing it finally kick off. Can't imagine the lads being in great shape though after very little time together.

From what I can see, the bulk of the starting XV (13?) have been together since Gatland convened his training camp week commencing 12th May - so those guys have had more time together.
The Kiwi press pointed out that the Barbarians have only been together since Tuesday of this week.

Im going to put it out there that there is slightly more pressure and expectation on the Lions than a Kiwi pub team....
Not in New Zealand...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand Barbarians v British & Irish Lions, 3 June

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:07 am

EST wrote:I thought Russell might have appealed to the Welsh psyche, given the obvious similarities. He too has developed a recent tendency to think he is better than he actually is.

Too many years of Gatlandball. We've forgotten what we used to like, and how we used to play.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:12 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
EST wrote:I thought Russell might have appealed to the Welsh psyche, given the obvious similarities. He too has developed a recent tendency to think he is better than he actually is.

Too many years of Gatlandball. We've forgotten what we used to like, and how we used to play.

The 70's is a long time ago now though, so we can be forgiven for forgetting! Between than and Gatland there's been some flashy backs with powder puff forwards in front of them. Nothing to write home about. The 80's and 90's were truly terrible for Wales.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:14 am

Griff wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:

The 70's is a long time ago now though, so we can be forgiven for forgetting!  Between than and Gatland there's been some flashy backs with powder puff forwards in front of them.  Nothing to write home about.  The 80's and 90's were truly terrible for Wales.

I know, Griff. I was there!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 01 Jun 2017, 11:25 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I suppose it is a bit of a lose-lose situation for these players - if they run rampant people will write it off against poor opposition, if they struggle to gel and only get a 20 point win (which could happen) people will say they've blown their chances!

True. I think it will likely come down to who is fit, not necessarily what's the best team anyway.

5 games before the first test.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:19 pm

Just going through the BaaBaas squad, on balance it really isn't all that bad a team - lots of U20 NZ caps and a few players on the fringes of Super Rugby squads. I would expect Lions dominance at the set-piece, but I don't see a thrashing on the cards.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:22 pm

EST wrote:Just going through the BaaBaas squad, on balance it really isn't all that bad a team - lots of U20 NZ caps and a few players on the fringes of Super Rugby squads.  I would expect Lions dominance at the set-piece, but I don't see a thrashing on the cards.

U20 caps and fringes of squads is quite bad when you're against international standard players.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:46 pm

Scottrf wrote:
EST wrote:Just going through the BaaBaas squad, on balance it really isn't all that bad a team - lots of U20 NZ caps and a few players on the fringes of Super Rugby squads.  I would expect Lions dominance at the set-piece, but I don't see a thrashing on the cards.

U20 caps and fringes of squads is quite bad when you're against international standard players.

I'm not suggesting the Lions are going to lose, I would expect and hope they will win comfortably, but the baa-baas team isn't a selection of complete nobodies.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:58 pm

EST wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I'm not suggesting the Lions are going to lose,  I would expect and hope they will win comfortably, but the baa-baas team isn't a selection of complete nobodies.
Probably comparable to the game the Lions played against the Queensland/NSW Combined Countries team in 2013. We won 0-64.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 01 Jun 2017, 2:13 pm

George Carlin wrote:
EST wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

I'm not suggesting the Lions are going to lose,  I would expect and hope they will win comfortably, but the baa-baas team isn't a selection of complete nobodies.
Probably comparable to the game the Lions played against the Queensland/NSW Combined Countries team in 2013. We won 0-64.

That's the team who I was broadly comparing them with, George. If memory serves me correctly, that team were substantially weaker than this NZ team, although I haven't checked.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 01 Jun 2017, 3:35 pm

EST wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
EST wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

That's the team who I was broadly comparing them with, George.  If memory serves me correctly, that team were substantially weaker than this NZ team, although I haven't checked.
Yes, probably. I'm still p!ssed off that the Super Rugby franchises withdrew their squad players from this game.

That's just not, how do you people say, cricket.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Thu 01 Jun 2017, 3:42 pm

George Carlin wrote:
EST wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
EST wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

That's the team who I was broadly comparing them with, George.  If memory serves me correctly, that team were substantially weaker than this NZ team, although I haven't checked.
Yes, probably. I'm still p!ssed off that the Super Rugby franchises withdrew their squad players from this game.

That's just not, how do you people say, cricket.

It's down to injuries - the withdrawn guys weren't making the 23 for their Super Franchises when picked for the Provincial Barbarians (IIRC they were all in the Franchises' wider training groups rather than being full squad members). Gatland Jr is only still in the squad as 2 of the 3 injured Blues' #10s have recovered. The team is supposed to be an NPC-based selection anyway - hence why they've got at least 1 player from each Mitre10 premiership/championship province (except Manawatu who's rep. got injured).
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 01 Jun 2017, 10:23 pm

Jared Payne pulls out with a tight calf - hopefully this isn't a recurring theme throughout the tour but he hardly played during the buildup to it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:26 am

Thats a shame, Payne would probably have been really looking forward to running out on Toll Stadium again.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 02 Jun 2017, 6:02 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:Thats a shame, Payne would probably have been really looking forward to running out on Toll Stadium again.
Yeah, I just read that he played 3 seasons for Northland! Must be some older punters at the club who remember him well.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 02 Jun 2017, 6:52 am

George Carlin wrote:
aucklandlaurie wrote:Thats a shame, Payne would probably have been really looking forward to running out on Toll Stadium again.
Yeah, I just read that he played 3 seasons for Northland! Must be some older punters at the club who remember him well.

I was  told once that hes always wearing flip flops/jandals/thongs. even in the middle of winter.

Its somewhat bewidering how things go round at times, Payne ended up playing for Northland after being dropped from Waikato by the coach they had down there at the time, a bloke by the name of  Gatland.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 02 Jun 2017, 7:38 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Jared Payne pulls out with a tight calf - hopefully this isn't a recurring theme throughout the tour but he hardly played during the buildup to it.

Is it the same problem that causes him to miss most of the end of season run in?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 02 Jun 2017, 8:49 am

Apparently it's raining a monsoon down there. Could be an old fashion mud fest of a game. Probably not the start that those looking to show their wares to the test selectors would want.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Jun 2017, 8:49 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Jared Payne pulls out with a tight calf - hopefully this isn't a recurring theme throughout the tour but he hardly played during the buildup to it.

Is it the same problem that causes him to miss most of the end of season run in?

Couldn't tell you, but I hope he doesn't end up like Kearney in 2013 - a great player but was never going to be fit for the tour and in hindsight maybe shouldn't have been selected.

Let's face it though with the number of centres and fullbacks in the squad we can probably cope without Payne for the first few weeks!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:04 am

BigGee wrote:Apparently it's raining a monsoon down there. Could be an old fashion mud fest of a game. Probably not the start that those looking to show their wares to the test selectors would want.
Yeah there's a bit of weather about this weekend

Here's a good rain radar website

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/

Can drill down into the 'Surface wind, MSLP and rainfall' links for the North and South Islands

http://www.metvuw.com/forecast/forecast.php?type=rain&region=nzni&noofdays=10

The grounds will be ok even with the rain
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:01 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Couldn't tell you, but I hope he doesn't end up like Kearney in 2013 - a great player but was never going to be fit for the tour and in hindsight maybe shouldn't have been selected.

Let's face it though with the number of centres and fullbacks in the squad we can probably cope without Payne for the first few weeks!

Players need to be honest then like Billy. Injuries in training happen all the time - at least they aren't doing judo
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:35 am

LondonTiger wrote:

He didn't miss most of the end of season run in, he picked up an ankle injury in round 19, missed the next two games with it and then wasn't risked in the final game against Leinster

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:36 am

Warbs and AWJ love them some Hendo.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40118019

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:37 am

marty2086 wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

He didn't miss most of the end of season run in, he picked up an ankle injury in round 19, missed the next two games with it and then wasn't risked in the final game against Leinster

To be fair Round 19 was early April so he's not played for a while! He's certainly not the only one in the squad though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:42 am

That came after his time out for the kidney injury didn't it? 'Fractured' kidney sounds horrible Shocked

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 11:46 am

Cyril wrote:That came after his time out for the kidney injury didn't it? 'Fractured' kidney sounds horrible Shocked

Lacerated kidney I think it was, word is it was life threatening too

He came back from that and only had a few games under his belt before playing against England

He's a fairly fit guy so hopefully once he's over the strain he'll get up to speed fairly quickly

I do think he's a good shot to make the test 23 and people will be surprised by him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Fri 02 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I was  told once that hes always wearing flip flops/jandals/thongs. even in the middle of winter.

Its somewhat bewidering how things go round at times, Payne ended up playing for Northland after being dropped from Waikato by the coach they had down there at the time, a bloke by the name of  Gatland.
Warran Gatland exercising poor judgment in selecting players?

Well, i just cannot believe that. Whistle

NZ Herald are doing good video interviews at each ground and it certainly looks bloody wet at the Toll Stadium. Not that this will stop Hoggy running everything back at pace. Hope to hell there are no slip-related injuries.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:18 pm

Cant wait to see how Hogg plays. I think he could be the star of the tour (if Warren G lets him)

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:29 pm

GunsGermsV2 wrote:Cant wait to see how Hogg plays. I think he could be the star of the tour (if Warren G lets him)

Lets hope he doesn't knock the ball on in the rain or that could be his tour over.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGermsV2 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 2:50 pm

He is Scottish, well used to the rain.

GunsGermsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:41 am

Morning lads, so it begins today. I am hoping for a good win today thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:46 am

Game day!

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:51 am

Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:56 am

And the good news is the rain is off

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:58 am

Was watching the build up on Sky1 and they kept saying 'tomorrow' and 'one more sleep'... Had to check if I was actually on the right day Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:05 am

I got confused too, when I turned on and saw a reminder of the time and place. I thought that was the actual match build up.

Good to see the Little Lion Man video again though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:13 am

Stuart Barnes starting his usual high standards - referring to Gregor Laidlaw at 9!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:14 am

Not sure why the focus is on Rory Best somewhat, he is a great 2 and wont let anyone down.

Be interesting to see how AWJ goes, may not have the match fitness as yet but is a very good player.

Would have preferred to see Henshaw at 12 ahead of Te'o.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:19 am

I really like Sinckler's attitude - he's like a kid at Christmas!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:26 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I really like Sinckler's attitude - he's like a kid at Christmas!

It really wouldn't surprise me if he gets the bench for the first test. One of the best THs in the loose & he seems to now be a lot more secure at scrum time (which of course is his no. 1 job!)

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I really like Sinckler's attitude - he's like a kid at Christmas!

Yes, that was brilliant.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:28 am

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:

It really wouldn't surprise me if he gets the bench for the first test. One of the best THs in the loose & he seems to now be a lot more secure at scrum time (which of course is his no. 1 job!)

He is some unit as well. Think he will do well this tour.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:34 am

Well that was underwhelming...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:46 am

Certainly a slow start - perhaps as expected.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

Some decent handling before the knock on. Is it me or does the commentator keep saying Kyle Sinclair?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

Very scratchy start. Not convinced Sexton is fully fit... Henderson with 2 missed tackles already.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:50 am

We're looking pretty blunt in attack - we're just doing one out passes and running into them!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:51 am

Scottrf wrote:Some decent handling before the knock on. Is it me or does the commentator keep saying Kyle Sinclair?

Give it another 10mins and Barnes will be calling him Gregor Sinclair Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:53 am

Watson just went well inside 22 to 22 and tackled the man as he caught it. Rapid.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 03 Jun 2017, 8:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:We're looking pretty blunt in attack - we're just doing one out passes and running into them!

Hmmm, its not like any of the home teams play like that Headscratch

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next