The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales squad for Summer Tour

+24
aucklandlaurie
Stone Motif
carpet baboon
Seagultaf
international198
ScarletSpiderman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Gooseberry
Winzer
eirebilly
PhilBB
LondonTiger
rosbif
chris_501
RiscaGame
Gwlad
mikey_dragon
munkian
LordDowlais
Cardiff Dave
Luckless Pedestrian
TightHEAD
Shifty
wayne
28 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Wales squad for Summer Tour - Page 3 Empty Wales squad for Summer Tour

Post by munkian Tue 09 May 2017, 12:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

Forwards: Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Adam Beard (Ospreys), Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Rob Evans (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), James King (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues), Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Rory Thornton (Ospreys), Thomas Young (Wasps).

Backs:Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Sam Davies (Ospreys), Steff Evans (Scarlets), Keelan Giles (Ospreys), Tyler Morgan (Newport Gwent Dragons), Jamie Roberts (captain, Harlequins), Owen Williams (Leicester Tigers), Rhun Williams (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues).
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Wales squad for Summer Tour - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales squad for Summer Tour

Post by international198 Sun 28 May 2017, 11:45 am

I think Rhys Patchell is unlucky not to be in the squad. He's had a very good season overall in my opinion. Maybe they've discriminated against him because he's a Welsh speaker.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Mon 29 May 2017, 11:59 am

international198 wrote:I think Rhys Patchell is unlucky not to be in the squad. He's had a very good season overall in my opinion. Maybe they've discriminated against him because he's a Welsh speaker.

They have a contractual commitment to Anscombe who despite being at best a Wales fringe player has just picked up a new NDC. WRU Coaches wanted Patchell to play 15 so that Anscombe could play 10 for Cardiff, that's why he left to play for the Scarlets. Unfortunately Anscombe is at best a fine day 10 who looks good when is side are well on top and poor when under any pressure. Probably explains why he was playing 15 in NZ and they weren't too concerned to see him leave.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 29 May 2017, 4:15 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
international198 wrote:I think Rhys Patchell is unlucky not to be in the squad. He's had a very good season overall in my opinion. Maybe they've discriminated against him because he's a Welsh speaker.

They have a contractual commitment to Anscombe who despite being at best a Wales fringe player has just picked up a new NDC. WRU Coaches wanted Patchell to play 15 so that Anscombe could play 10 for Cardiff, that's why he left to play for the Scarlets. Unfortunately Anscombe is at best a fine day 10 who looks good when is side are well on top and poor when under any pressure. Probably explains why he was playing 15 in NZ and they weren't too concerned to see him leave.

It sounds like you're describing Patchell to be fair, who is now in the Wales squad to play 15 which I think is his best position. Blues shifted him because he was erratic. Anscombe has had a few poor games but I don't think he's down and out just yet. He's in good form right now.

Jake Ball and Rob Evans are out with injuries so we're looking light on the LH side and at even lighter at lock. Lee is to under-go a scan to show the extent of his knee injury. The only way I can see us winning both games is if we borrow Wayne Pivac.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 29 May 2017, 9:48 pm

McBride is on record as saying this is NOT a development tour, if not why is Gareth Thomas selected as the replacement Loose Head prop for Rob Evans, when he is patently barely better than Welsh Premiership standard, I know he is getting on a bit but Paul James is far better, especially in the tight. There surely are better options at the other Regions as well, just have to hope neither Nicky Smith or Wyn Jones suffer an injury especially NOT before the 2nd Test against Samoa.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 May 2017, 10:40 am

I wonder if they'll call up an additional lock forward too, or beg Davies not to have the summer off.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 30 May 2017, 2:54 pm

Wales team to face RGC 1404: Gareth Anscombe; Keelan Giles, Tyler Morgan, Jamie Roberts (capt), Cory Allen; Sam Davies, Aled Davies; Nicky Smith, Kristian Dacey, Tomas Francis, Adam Beard, Cory Hill, Seb Davies, Ellis Jenkins, Ollie Griffiths.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40093708

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Tue 30 May 2017, 4:02 pm

I think Wales should win comfortably against RGC 1404. I wouldn't be surprised if they beat RGC 1404 by over a hundred points. However, if RGC 1404 do beat Wales then they will deserve to be in the Pro12 IMO.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 30 May 2017, 4:23 pm

If RGC beat Wales, surely they'll deserve to be in the Six Nations?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 30 May 2017, 9:44 pm

This is exactly the sort of game where Wales will struggle! A scratch Wales side, coming from disparate regional outfits and coaching systems, being brain washed into playing the robotic current 'Welsh Way' (crash, bang, wallop). It has car crash all over it. Will probably be a very close first half and Wales will pull away in the 2nd half when the pro fitness levels kick in.

Apologies for the negativity!

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Tue 30 May 2017, 9:51 pm

I thought Allen was a center? Or am in confusing him with someone else?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 May 2017, 8:57 am

carpet baboon wrote:I thought Allen was a center? Or am in confusing him with someone else?

He's also a 7s player so rather nippy but yeah, normally a center.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 31 May 2017, 11:17 am

munkian wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:I thought Allen was a center? Or am in confusing him with someone else?

Also seeing as the only other wingers in the squad are Steff Evans (who could do with a rest after two big weekends), and Cuthbert i guess playing a centre (who has only played a handful of games this season) on the wing isn't such a bad idea.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 May 2017, 11:19 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:

Also seeing as the only other wingers in the squad are Steff Evans (who could do with a rest after two big weekends), and Cuthbert i guess playing a centre (who has only played a handful of games this season) on the wing isn't such a bad idea.

Keelan Giles ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 31 May 2017, 11:21 am

Game will be televised on S4C btw
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 31 May 2017, 11:29 am

munkian wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:

Keelan Giles ?

I know that they hype the boy up, but he can't play on two wings at once Whistle
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 May 2017, 11:32 am

At lot of people on the paddock at Dave Parade believe that wing might be Tyler Morgan's best position. Seeing as McBryde has chucked him in at 13 it's obvious he hasn't watched him this season.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 31 May 2017, 11:42 am

Jamie Roberts - "I'm stoked for the Scarlets lads. It's not easy to win a domestic title and they've achieved something quite remarkable, everyone in Welsh rugby is hugely proud of them - even as a Cardiff lad I'm saying that! So it's important they feed into what we're trying to achieve here. Test rugby is a bit different to domestic rugby. There are subtle differences there, but certainly those lads can come in and give us a lot of energy and smiles on faces."

Is it just me or does anyone else read that as "they won a domestic competition playing running rugby, and thats nice. This is international rugby though, so its important they come in and change to our ways" ??
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 31 May 2017, 11:44 am

Something like that, so surely fans aren't the only ones concerned with amateurs like McBryde.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by international198 Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:01 pm

I would like to see Rhys Patchell play at 10 against Tonga and Samoa. I know Sam Davies had a great start to the season but overall Patchell has had a better season, IMO.

international198

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:21 pm

After watching that, it's going to be a very tough tour.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:30 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:At lot of people on the paddock at Dave Parade believe that wing might be Tyler Morgan's best position. Seeing as McBryde has chucked him in at 13 it's obvious he hasn't watched him this season.

Not quick enough for international level
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 02 Jun 2017, 9:34 pm

Hmm. I do rarely post in the international forum, but seeing as this would be an awesome time for a certain gentrified chap from the extreme north of the Cardiff City region to come on here and admit he's been talking absolute bullish5t for years about the gap between regional and semi pro, letting someone else have a go, talent being produced in the Prem, etc. I couldn't resist.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:24 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:At lot of people on the paddock at Dave Parade believe that wing might be Tyler Morgan's best position. Seeing as McBryde has chucked him in at 13 it's obvious he hasn't watched him this season.

Not quick enough for international level

You're the only one I know to think that. He looked a lot better tonight. If he's to continue his development then he needs better players around him more often.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 02 Jun 2017, 10:54 pm

He could be a rolls Royce of an outside centre but there is no way he has the pace for an international wing, come on.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Jun 2017, 12:45 am

I tend to agree with Stone. Players tend to move inside, rather than outside. He started as a centre for a reason. If he was 'wing quick' I think he would have featured there more at age grade, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 9:21 am

I don't think he'll be playing wing at international level, I'm just reiterating what I've heard from a few people. He's regressed badly this season but the same could be said for most of our team. BTW I don't think he's any less quick than Allen from what I've seen.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 03 Jun 2017, 9:32 am

He's pacy but I don't think he's explosive or agile enough for wing, and his other talents would be wasted there. Bit like he's wasted on us.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 03 Jun 2017, 9:38 am

Yeah I think agree with most of that actually.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jun 2017, 8:29 am

Teams

Tonga: Dave Halaifonua; Nafi Tuitavake, Siale Piutau (capt), Vili Tahitua, Cooper Vuna; Latiume Fosita, Tane Takulua; Latu Talakai, Paula Ngauamo, Ben Tameifuna, Leva Fifita, Steve Mafi, Dan Faleafa, Nili Latu, Valentino Mapapalangi.

Replacements:
Suliasi Taufalele, Sila Puafisi, Phil Kite, Sione Tau, Mike Faleafa, Leon Fukofuka, Kali Hala, Kiti Taimani.

Wales: Gareth Anscombe (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Harlequins, capt), Steffan Evans (Scarlets); Sam Davies (Ospreys), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Nicky Smith (Ospreys) Kristian Dacey (Cardiff Blues) Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Seb Davies (Cardiff Blues), Cory Hill (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets,), Thomas Young (Wasps), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ollie Griffiths (Newport Gwent Dragons), Aled Davies (Scarlets), Owen Williams (Gloucester), Cory Allen (Ospreys).

Venue: Eden Park, Auckland Date: 16 June Kick-off: 06:35 BST
Coverage: Live on S4C. Live commentary on BBC Radio Wales, Radio Cymru online, mobile, the BBC Sport app and Connected TV (UK only).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

Little disappointed that Griffiths is only on the bench and Tyler Morgan doesn't even make the squad. It seems a little contradictory that Team Wales have ignored Navidi for so long and now finally use him. Pretty happy with the team though, from a neutral point of view.

Is Giles injured?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jun 2017, 9:11 am

The back line doesn't actually look that bad really. When you think that Steff Evans is the only new cap there, and he was the top try scorer in the Pro12, there should be no excuses for the backs to fail to perform.

However I am really concerned about the pack. No lock on the bench, and a back row/lock starting. I guess the theory is Aaron Shingler, or Griffiths, can step into the second row if needed. But to me it seems like we are putting out a bit of an open rugby type back five forwards, which may not be the approach for the PI sides.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jun 2017, 11:56 am

How much are they gonna mess around with Ollie Griffiths?! He's an outstanding open side by has been played at 8 this season a number of times. Surely he can't be asked to play lock now as well?! He's 3 inches shorter than Jamie Roberts!

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 14 Jun 2017, 3:06 pm

Griff wrote:How much are they gonna mess around with Ollie Griffiths?! He's an outstanding open side by has been played at 8 this season a number of times. Surely he can't be asked to play lock now as well?! He's 3 inches shorter than Jamie Roberts!

Thought one of our locks Beard or Thornton would have at least made the 23 Griff, preferably Beard, not at all surprised that Baldwin is totally out of the 23, has only had one or two decent games at any level since the New Year. Expected Cuthbert and Evans to keep Keelan out of the team, but not Cory off the bench, tough game coming up, I wouldn't mind betting there will be a few injury replacements for the following weeks game against Samoa.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jun 2017, 3:37 pm

Griff, I am just assuming that they will be considering him and Shingler to step into the second row should the brown stuff hit the fan.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 14 Jun 2017, 3:39 pm

I think with this team McBryde will be trying his best to play like the Scarlets. Way to go McBryde, steal someone else's blueprint after spending years in the job! I'm not sure our defence is good enough to play that way, but obviously they don't rate Tonga at the set piece, etc.

Anyone see something I don't in Seb and Aled Davies? If we're doing our usual thing of capping a rookie then it probably should have been Beard at lock. I also imagine Shingler will be covering 2nd row.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jun 2017, 5:16 pm

My point was mainly just about his height (Griffiths). Maybe you don't need to be 6'5" plus in the 2nd row, but 6'1" seems tiny for that position. Has he ever played there? Will he be good pushing in the scrum from 2nd row. He's quite diminutive really. In the Neil Back mould of back rowers. It's a big ask for him to play 2nd row, even as cover IMO. So, like others, I'm surprised someone like Beard isn't on the bench.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jun 2017, 6:41 pm

Thornton is on an NDC so really this is a game he should be starting, the same for Tyler Morgan. But at bare minimum they should be on the bench
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jun 2017, 7:41 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Thornton is on an NDC so really this is a game he should be starting, the same for Tyler Morgan.  But at bare minimum they should be on the bench

Yeah, agree definitely.

Back to top Go down

Post by chris_501 Wed 14 Jun 2017, 7:45 pm

I find it odd that Cory Allen has gone from being frozen out at the Blues to being on the bench for Wales. It will be a huge season for him next year to make it as a potential international, or to just drift off to semi pro level like so many before!

chris_501

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Wed 14 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

Griff wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Thornton is on an NDC so really this is a game he should be starting, the same for Tyler Morgan.  But at bare minimum they should be on the bench

Yeah, agree definitely.

Dan Baker on an NDC and not even in the squad, Scott Baldwin on an NDC and not in the 23, he wouldn't even be in my Ospreys 23 on this seasons form.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Jun 2017, 8:52 pm

wayne wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yeah, agree definitely.

Dan Baker on an NDC and not even in the squad, Scott Baldwin on an NDC and not in the 23, he wouldn't even be in my Ospreys 23 on this seasons form.

My point was more to do with Thornton being a lock and us needing a lock, rather than the NDC thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Jun 2017, 10:17 pm

wayne wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yeah, agree definitely.

Was thinking more that they were put on them young due to being promising talent, and this being their chance. Baker and Baldwin are known variables.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 14 Jun 2017, 10:29 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
wayne wrote:
Griff wrote:

Yeah, agree definitely.

Was thinking more that they were put on them young due to being promising talent, and this being their chance.  Baker and Baldwin are known variables.

That and the players starting are in much better form than Baker and Baldwin - I know, the fact that they've selected form players is still a shock to me too. I was sure Jenkins would start at 7 though.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

I am a little disappointed that Rhun Williams has not even made the bench. I reckon this kid will be the next superstar off the production line.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:05 am

He's injured.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:16 am

Is he ?

Well, I did not know that, what is wrong with him ? Do you know ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:19 am

Here you go LD. First hit on Google.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39987076

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Jun 2017, 10:20 am

And from your fave:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-call-up-exeter-chiefs-13081130

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 15 Jun 2017, 11:09 am

What a shame, I did not notice this either, spending too much time thinking about the Lions.

On a positive note, the kid is very young and I have no doubt that his chance will come around again.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 15 Jun 2017, 11:13 am

Stone Motif wrote:Hmm. I do rarely post in the international forum, but seeing as this would be an awesome time for a certain gentrified chap from the extreme north of the Cardiff City region to come on here and admit he's been talking absolute bullish5t for years about the gap between regional and semi pro, letting someone else have a go, talent being produced in the Prem, etc. I couldn't resist.

Hmmm, did not notice this either, obviously aimed at moi. Rolling Eyes

Perhaps we could have gauged this better if we had Wales playing against the best side from the prem not the 4th best. Or alternatively we could have put a prem select side against the Welsh team.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next