The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

+42
Welly
21st Century Schizoid Man
reallybored
Margin_Walker
sensisball
mikey_dragon
whocares
des
demosthenes
St John The Enforcer
R!skysports
Manky-Flanker
Mad for Chelsea
Eejit
TJ
Scottish White Line Fever
LordDowlais
Tattie Scones RRN
RossAnderson
Scottrf
Majestic83
nickj
cakeordeath
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Ozzy3213
MacKnocked-on
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
EST
BigGee
profitius
Anglobraveheart
George Carlin
highland_scot
RDW
RuggerRadge2611
EWT Spoons
tigertattie
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Hazel Sapling
46 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 5 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 19 May 2017, 9:36 am

First topic message reminder :

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 5 P12-gl10

Glasgow Warriors & Edinburgh

The Histories:

Guiness Pro 12
Edinburgh Rugby
Glasgow Warriors

Edinburgh Rugby Highlights 2016/2017 vomit
Glasgow Warriors Pro 12 Highlights 2016/2017  Sorry

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 10:57 am

Fruean signs a 2 year deal with Edinburgh - incredible signing!
Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread 17 - Almost Legal

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 11:09 am

Edinburgh Rugby can today confirm the signing of centre Robbie Fruean on a two-year deal.

Robbie Fruean in action (Patrick Khachfe/Onside Images)

The former World Rugby U19 Player of the Year joins from English Premiership side Bath, where he was recruited by his former Canterbury coach and Edinburgh great Todd Blackadder.

On joining Edinburgh Rugby, he said:

"The vision Edinburgh and the new coaching staff have for the club's future success is something I'm really excited about and I am hoping I can add value to the team on and off the field.

“Having been to the city, it is a beautiful place and my family and I are really looking forward to calling Edinburgh our new home"

The centre, who is comfortable donning both the 12 and 13 jersey, made 66 appearances for Super Rugby’s most successful side, Crusaders, over two stints (2010-13 and 2015-16) and amassed 70 points through 14 tries for the Canterbury-based side. He has also made appearances for New Zealand Super Rugby franchises Hurricanes and Chiefs.

His move to the northern hemisphere followed a two-year stint at Hawke’s Bay, where he crossed the whitewash on nine occasions in 25 appearances.

A mainstay in the Canterbury’s domestic campaigns between 2010-13, he finished his first season as the competition’s joint top try-scorer (10) in 2010 and was named as ITM Cup Player of the Year in 2012.

Canterbury won the ITM Cup each season Fruean was involved with his contribution of 20 tries proving highly influential to his side’s success.

He has also played for Wellington in New Zealand’s premier domestic competition, and scored five tries in 12 appearances for the North Island outfit.

Head Coach, Richard Cockerill, said:

“Robbie joins the club with a huge amount of experience. He’s renowned for his power and is a big attacking threat.

“During his time in Super Rugby, he has played alongside some of the game’s modern greats and we look forward to him bringing that knowledge to the club both on and off the field.”
Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

Good day so far!

It's Friday!

I've got a good lunch today

The SNP have been given a smack in the teeth

Now Edinburgh have signed a decent back
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 09 Jun 2017, 12:19 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:I'd offer you a spare bed Jimbo but they are all currently occupied by planned and unplanned children.

Plenty of options available though.

Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:03 pm

Give this one a bash

https://www.sporcle.com/games/dexbish/alltime_rwc?sc=rugby

Missed two myself Sad
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Fri 09 Jun 2017, 1:38 pm

Tattie Scones RRN wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Execeterr  Very Happy Very Happy  If I get down then it's a cider with ASBO. monkey

Ladyboys... chin I've never been to Dublin.

Montpellier, nah I'm too scared of Vern to go near that one.

Eh? And me!!

Absolutely delighted with that draw.

I'm very tempted to go to the Montpellier game. Its a cracking city and I'd love to see the clash itself.

I've never tried to get tickets for a Europen game, are they available on the open market or do I have to go via Glasgow?

Also wondered if Warriors season ticket holders would get first dibs?

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Fri 09 Jun 2017, 2:33 pm

Lewis Carmichael has been called up to train with the Scotland squad.

He's been playing in Oz with Western Force since March apparently, and been getting Super Rugby game time too.
Shocked
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 2:34 pm

Posted this on the Italy match thread - he's not an injury replacement so I think it is just for his experience.

No one going to comment on Fruean signing for Edinburgh??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Fri 09 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

Re:Fruen
Edinburgh have swapped one crocked kiwi (Nasi Manu) for another. Fingers crossed he'll stay injury free and form a beastly centre partnership with Phil Burleigh.

But Lewis Carmichael, a young fringe player for Edinburgh getting game time in Super Rugby. It's fantastic!
I'm well up for loan moves to Super Rugby for our young lads - it certainly beats the Scottish Prem or English Championship.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 2:42 pm

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:Re:Fruen
Edinburgh have swapped one crocked kiwi (Nasi Manu) for another. Fingers crossed he'll stay injury free and form a beastly partner ship with Phil Burleigh.

We certainly don't have a great track record with this, but he did play the latter part of the season for Bath and looked in great shape. I'm assuming the SRU will have given a thorough medical given his history.

A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:But Lewis Carmichael, a young fringe player for Edinburgh getting game time in Super Rugby. It's fantastic!
I'm well up for loan moves to Super Rugby for our young lads - it certainly beats the Scottish Prem or English Championship.

Didn't realise that was the bit you were surprised at - he's had a few starts and several appearances off the bench, playing against the top player in Super Rugby (he lined up against Retallick in one game). Got some good reviews as well!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by A Simply Mesmeric Try Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
A Simply Mesmeric Try wrote:But Lewis Carmichael, a young fringe player for Edinburgh getting game time in Super Rugby. It's fantastic!

Didn't realise that was the bit you were surprised at - he's had a few starts and several appearances off the bench, playing against the top player in Super Rugby (he lined up against Retallick in one game).  Got some good reviews as well!

Good on him. No wonder he was called up.
A Simply Mesmeric Try
A Simply Mesmeric Try

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

He got absolutely smoked for pace in the defencive line in one game that led to a try but given the Lions aren't coping overly well with that either he can probably be forgiven!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:51 pm

Fruean in theory is a great signing and pretty glad he's signed up with us.

My only concerns are his injury record and that he's going to be away with Samoa for the 7s and then the World cup in 2019.

No sure how many games he needs to play with the 7s to qualify for them, but hopefully it's not too many.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 3:53 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Fruean in theory is a great signing and pretty glad he's signed up with us.

My only concerns are his injury record and that he's going to be away with Samoa for the 7s and then the World cup in 2019.

No sure how many games he needs to play with the 7s to qualify for them, but hopefully it's not too many.

That hasn't been confirmed anywhere and I'd be amazed if they signed him on that basis.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Fruean in theory is a great signing and pretty glad he's signed up with us.

That hasn't been confirmed anywhere and I'd be amazed if they signed him on that basis.

He has said it a fair bit though, but you are right it's not been confirmed it's going to happen.

Fruean wrote:I’ve still got dreams to play at the 2019 World Cup with Samoa,’ he said. ‘I’d have to go through the Sevens tournaments to become eligible. If Samoa are happy with the way I play in XVs, hopefully they’ll take me.’

I would be amazed if Edinburgh were paying him enough to give up on that dream though.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:24 pm

Mind you I guess it also depends on if Samoa want him, and he has to play in Hodge's attacking system.....he's going nowhere.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 09 Jun 2017, 4:27 pm

2019 is a long time away too - given his injury situation it would be bold move for him to demand that clubs let him go away with 7s a lot, for something that may not even happen.

Saying that, it might be why he's gone to Edinburgh of all teams - they're maybe the only ones that would accept it! Edinburgh really should have mentioned it in their press release though as it would be misleading potential season ticket holders (all 8 of them).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:

Saying that, it might be why he's gone to Edinburgh of all teams - they're maybe the only ones that would accept it! Edinburgh really should have mentioned it in their press release though as it would be misleading potential season ticket holders (all 8 of them).

That sounds a bit like a tweet I saw today, saying how surprised that Teresa May was with the electoral result. Every voter she meet said they were going to vote for her, all nine of them!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 15 Jun 2017, 2:15 pm

Not sure if anyone has seen this, or cares, but it's been superbly communicated by the SRU/Edinburgh rugby....

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/scottishrugby/details/event.aspx?itemref=5941

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jun 2017, 2:17 pm

I literally haven't seen it advertised anywhere.

Also, it looks like they're playing 9 games at Myreside next season - that hasn't been announced anywhere nor have the results of the survey been announced!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 15 Jun 2017, 4:23 pm

yeah it's almost like they don't want any new season ticket holders.

I think we pretty much expected to be at Myerside next year, this just confirms it. Hopefully whatever was mentioned in the survey the club have acted on, within reason. Things like the toilets and the positioning of a few things, are really the biggest complaints as far as I am aware.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 15 Jun 2017, 4:26 pm

I think it was a mistake starting the trial period in the middle of winter - I'm sure people would have been a lot happier with a game on a nice August evening sitting in the sun with a pint.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 15 Jun 2017, 4:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I think it was a mistake starting the trial period in the middle of winter - I'm sure people would have been a lot happier with a game on a nice August evening sitting in the sun with a pint.

You've been away too long. Smile

yeah it was an odd time to start the trial, I know it was talked about at the open evenings and they explained it, but I can't remember what on earth it was.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:52 am

Looks like Cockerill has arrived at Edinburgh and Freaun is due to fly in at the weekend which is good news too late for them to pull out now!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 1:51 pm

Edinburgh announcing another signing this afternoon according to Twitter.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:09 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Edinburgh announcing another signing this afternoon according to Twitter.

Think Bernard Foley, Beauden Barret or Camile Lopez are out of the question?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:12 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Edinburgh announcing another signing this afternoon according to Twitter.

Think Bernard Foley, Beauden Barret or Camile Lopez are out of the question?

Maybe more likely it is Barrie Barrett, Cammie Lopez or Bernie Foley!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:19 pm

Jade Te Rue returns to Edinburgh Shocked
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:22 pm

tigertattie wrote:Jade Te Rue returns to Edinburgh Shocked

Behave yourself tattie, you'll give admin boy a heart attack!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:26 pm

mad

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:27 pm

Prepare to be underwhelmed...

Prop Darryl Marfo has joined Edinburgh on a one-year deal

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:39 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Prepare to be underwhelmed...

Prop Darryl Marfo has joined Edinburgh on a one-year deal

who?

Bet he's no Jade Te Rue!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:40 pm

His picture on the Twitter announcement shows a Bath shirt.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:41 pm

He's a loosehead - why do we need a loosehead?

Prop Darryl Marfo has joined Edinburgh Rugby from English Premiership side Bath on a one-year deal.

Darryl Marfo

The loosehead, 26, made three appearances for Bath since joining the club in January of this year having previously plied his trade at London Welsh and Harlequins.

Born in London, Marfo qualifies to play for Scotland through his Ayrshire-born mother.

On joining the club, he said: “I’m massively excited to be joining Edinburgh this season and do my bit to make the club as successful as possible.

“The Edinburgh front row is talked about in such high regard in rugby circles, so it’s great to have the opportunity to be around those guys. Hopefully I can contribute towards making that unit stronger.

“It seems to be a really exciting time at the club and I can’t wait to get cracking.”

Head Coach, Richard Cockerill, said: “Darryl is a big, powerful scrummager and carrier of the ball.

“He has plenty of promise, and we look forward to seeing him compete for a spot in the coming season.”

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:51 pm

I suppose with Dicko, Dell and Sutherland all in international reckoning, Edinburgh do potentially need more cover at LH.

McCallam can definitely concentrate on playing TH and hopefully he and Bryce can properly back Nelly up. Niether of them are likely to get an international call up in the foreseeable, we are starting to enjoy a reasonable amount of decent props at long last.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:52 pm

So it's not Beuden Barrett then?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:55 pm

I'm guessing that one or both of Dickinson and Sutherland aren't yet fit and Dell needs back up, although McCallum was doing OK last season (on both sides of the scrum). I see Marfo is SQ but given his age and journeyman like career to date I'm guessing he won't be a Scotland prospect anytime soon unless Cockerill is a miracle worker.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 16 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:So it's not Beuden Barrett then?

No, it's not. Sad

Good guess though!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:00 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:He's a loosehead - why do we need a loosehead?.”

I guess others may have covered this already, but with losing Cosgrove, we are now down a LH, plus Dicko, Sutherland and Dell could all be injured/away on international duty at the same time (as we have seen with Sutherland and Dicko this year).

Seems a fairly underwhelming signing, but I assume he's just here for cover purposes.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Fri 16 Jun 2017, 3:01 pm

BigGee wrote:I suppose with Dicko, Dell and Sutherland all in international reckoning, Edinburgh do potentially need more cover at LH.

McCallam can definitely concentrate on playing TH and hopefully he and Bryce can properly back Nelly up. Niether of them are likely to get an international call up in the foreseeable, we are starting to enjoy a reasonable amount of decent props at long last.

Not to mention Berghan who I'm sure will be Nel's main backup, as you say plenty of props in the squad now. Shame we can't say the same about 10s, I had half expected Connor Eastgate or another of the U20s to have been today's signing.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 16 Jun 2017, 5:08 pm

So he's Scottish Qualified through his Ayrshire born mother: will he be World Class too then?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 17 Jun 2017, 8:14 pm

Very, very strange watching Piers Francis lining up for England. Edinburgh obviously made him the player he is!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 17 Jun 2017, 9:46 pm

I can't see how he did it. Edinburgh reject to Doncaster knights.

No an England internationalist
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 18 Jun 2017, 3:04 pm

jimbopip wrote:So he's Scottish Qualified through his Ayrshire born mother: will he be World Class too then?
Yahoo
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 19 Jun 2017, 8:49 am

Rumours of Finn Russell moving to Montpelier for the 2018/2019 season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:36 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumours of Finn Russell moving to Montpelier for the 2018/2019 season.

I am pretty much resigned to losing him - and with Vern as the coach, Montpelier seems as likely as any other location.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:40 am

He also might be slightly protected there, game time was, as he will be battling with Cruden for the 10 spot.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:45 am

EST wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Rumours of Finn Russell moving to Montpelier for the 2018/2019 season.

I am pretty much resigned to losing him - and with Vern as the coach, Montpelier seems as likely as any other location.
Erm

Well done Finn! Really chuffed for him.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 19 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

Sure there was some chat (either on here or an article) that Finn is basically desperate for a move to France, so it would certainly add weight to the suggestion he's off to Montpelier.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:10 am

From anyone other than his agent? Cruden and Russell. 2 x Not Rubbish options at fly half for any team.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next