The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK General Election 2017 Thread

+26
Good Golly I'm Olly
compelling and rich
Ent
ShahenshahG
Muscular-mouse
Shifty
Hibbz
dyrewolfe
superflyweight
Galted
JDizzle
temporary21
Hero
CaledonianCraig
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Crimey
Pr4wn
jbeadlesbigrighthand
TRUSSMAN66
Pal Joey
Samo
Dolphin Ziggler
GSC
navyblueshorts
Scottrf
Hammersmith harrier
30 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

UK General Election 2017 Thread - Page 5 Empty UK General Election 2017 Thread

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 am

First topic message reminder :

CONTINUE

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

UK General Election 2017 Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

Post by Samo Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:There should also be concerns for: Human rights being "removed" from people who there isn't legitimate proof of terrorist activities (or the planning thereof). They are then innocent.

Mostly, she should be chastised for how empty a comment it is. Does it actually mean anything? Or is it an unquantifiable promise for a soundbite? It feels to me like they've made a lot of unquantified statements

Its a cheap trick to not only deflect from her own failings as Home Sec and the destruction of the police force, but a disgusting ploy to exploit the victims of recent terror attacks to score political points.

Samo

Back to top Go down

UK General Election 2017 Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: UK General Election 2017 Thread

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:52 pm

I agree with the first point there Samo, but not the second. I think she's an unstable leader, but they're all making security points at the moment.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Samo wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:There should also be concerns for: Human rights being "removed" from people who there isn't legitimate proof of terrorist activities (or the planning thereof). They are then innocent.

Mostly, she should be chastised for how empty a comment it is. Does it actually mean anything? Or is it an unquantifiable promise for a soundbite? It feels to me like they've made a lot of unquantified statements

Its a cheap trick to not only deflect from her own failings as Home Sec and the destruction of the police force, but a disgusting ploy to exploit the victims of recent terror attacks to score political points.

Trying to come up with policies and learnings to prevent future attacks isn't a disgusting ploy to exploit anything. We need action not tiptoeing.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:
Samo wrote:

Trying to come up with policies and learnings to prevent future attacks isn't a disgusting ploy to exploit anything. We need action not tiptoeing.

Shes had 7 years since she became Home Sec to do something like this, but she waits until 2 days before a General Election and a day after a terror attack to suggest it? What part of that doesnt read exploitation?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Samo wrote:Shes had 7 years since she became Home Sec to do something like this, but she waits until 2 days before a General Election and a day after a terror attack to suggest it?  What part of that doesnt read exploitation?

Honestly I don't think you live in the real world. She's the leader of the country, she is expected to tell us what she plans to do.

Her record as Home Secretary is a separate (but relevant) point, but for her not to comment on this issue would be a ridiculously empty gesture. It's her job, and people want to know her view for when they vote.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:02 pm

All I know is that Tory supporters must be either blind, dyslexic or desperate. I have SNP posters in my window and what did I find rammed through my letterbox - Tory leaflets. Rolling Eyes

As for Samo he is right in that all these soundbytes coming from May are exactly that. Sounbytes. She has been part of the government for a fair few years now and in a position to make changes (unlike the opposition) and hasn't - well apart from reducing police numbers.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:04 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:All I know is that Tory supporters must be either blind, dyslexic or desperate. I have SNP posters in my window and what did I find rammed through my letterbox - Tory leaflets. Rolling Eyes

As for Samo he is right in that all these soundbytes coming from May are exactly that. Sounbytes. She has been part of the government for a fair few years now and in a position to make changes (unlike the opposition) and hasn't - well apart from reducing police numbers.

Would agree with that part and people may be wiser to judge on record than promises. But the idea that she should go into a period of mourning through silence and refuse to comment on the biggest issue of the moment is bat$hit crazy.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:All I know is that Tory supporters must be either blind, dyslexic or desperate. I have SNP posters in my window and what did I find rammed through my letterbox - Tory leaflets. Rolling Eyes

Would agree with that part and people may be wiser to judge on record than promises. But the idea that she should go into a period of mourning through  silence and refuse to comment on the biggest issue of the moment is bat$hit crazy.

No issues with her commenting as she has to but basically empty....very empty words.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:12 pm

A bit like Sturgeon on education then.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Samo wrote:
Shes had 7 years since she became Home Sec to do something like this, but she waits until 2 days before a General Election and a day after a terror attack to suggest it?  What part of that doesnt read exploitation?

She's actually had no time to do something like this because of the European court of human rights which we're currently hand tied by but ignore the facts.

Something has to be done about it and now that we're leaving the EU it is the time to start taking action especially after three attacks in as many months but dismiss it all you want, not like it's a prevalent issue right now.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:15 pm

superflyweight wrote:A bit like Sturgeon on education then.  

If you believe the mainstream unionist media that is. They quote lower results for youngsters but ignore higher levels of exam passes at older age groups so take your pick.

Last edited by CaledonianCraig on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:15 pm

I'd be surprised in an election with two completely different visions whether there any floating voters left to be had....

My guess is everyone has decided and it is dependent on getting out the vote..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't really want to vote for anyone to be honest. One of the least inspiring elections in recent memory
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:

If you believe the mainstream unionist media that is. They quoye lower results for youngsters but ignore higher levels of exam passes at older age groups so take your pick.
The older age groups that went through most of the education system before she got there? Whistle

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

If you believe the mainstream unionist media that is. They quoye lower results for youngsters but ignore higher levels of exam passes at older age groups so take your pick.
The older age groups that went through most of the education system before she got there? Whistle

Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Over two years worth of new practices put in place so you take your pick really. She has been in power for just over two years whilst May has had how long to make a difference? Seven years?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Fair is fair, May should not just sit and be quiet after the attacks that Britain has suffered recently. The people deserve action from the leader and, although I don't agree with the way she's going about it, she's giving them some kind of action.

However, she cut 19,000 police officers. She has to bear some responsibility for making Britain a more dangerous place.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:23 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Over two years worth of new practices put in place so you take your pick really. She has been in power for just over two years whilst May has had how long to make a difference? Seven years?

This is whataboutery as well. Stop being so blinkered.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:24 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Seven years of being blocked by the EU.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Noble sentiments. I will if you will. thumbsup
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Laugh Jeez I never knew the EU regulates policing levels in the UK.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Again, point out where I have been.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:29 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Fair is fair, May should not just sit and be quiet after the attacks that Britain has suffered recently. The people deserve action from the leader and, although I don't agree with the way she's going about it, she's giving them some kind of action.

However, she cut 19,000 police officers. She has to bear some responsibility for making Britain a more dangerous place.

Jesus Prawn...stop posting stuff I agree with, out of the blue like that! Just as well I had a chair handy.

Its not just MI5, MI6 and GCHQ that need more resources. I don't think the government appreciates how much intel can be gained from simple community engagement by "bobbies on the beat".

And all the resources in the world won't help if our intel services are ignoring reports from people trying to bring attention to potential terrorists (sometimes YEARS in advance). Some backsides definitely need to be kicked on that score. picard
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Jesus Prawn...stop posting stuff I agree with, out of the blue like that! Just as well I had a chair handy.

Its not just MI5, MI6 and GCHQ that need more resources. I don't think the government appreciates how much intel can be gained from simple community engagement by "bobbies on the beat".

And all the resources in the world won't help if our intel services are ignoring reports from people trying to bring attention to potential terrorists. Some backsides definitely need to be kicked on that score.

I don't think ignoring reports is the right terminology. They are categorising and prioritising.

Numbers vary somewhat but there are 500 people being actively investigated, 3,000 with high concern and tens of thousands with sympathies towards the ideologies. The sheer volume of information must be staggering and we cannot afford to follow up and act on everything.

Maybe they made a mistake in not considering some a higher priority but I don't think that's something the media or public knows, or can know.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:34 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

The European Convention of Human Rights is separate to the EU.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

You know... here, there, everywhere... and whatabouts and roundabouts. Does that cover it? Smile

So, the most critical final 24 hours is here. Things should get really desperate today. The exploitation meter will be pushed to "extreme" no doubt.

Democracy has a lot to answer for!

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:36 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Forgive me for not wishing to drain away my life sifting through age old posts on 606v2 and apologies to you if it wasn't you but I've posted before on here about SNP performing better on the NHS than Westminster government is and on the state of prison services yet posters here have been blinkered very much to that. The mindset of posters here (a lot of whom are not even living in Scotland) is that the SNP are incompetent when so much points to that being untrue. I'm not saying the SNP are perfect but thank god I am not faced with GSC's dilemma.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Crimey wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

SSSSSHHHHHHHHH Dont let the facts get in the way of an agenda.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:42 pm

Crimey wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

It is and it isn't, to be a member of the EU you have to be part of the European council and adhering to all courts that are part of that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Got a tough pm that refused to go on C4....The today program basically anywhere where she could be grilled..Refused to debate.

That is going to give it to Europe..

Okay.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:44 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Laugh  Jeez I never knew the EU regulates policing levels in the UK.

I believe Hammersmith is referring to the restrictions on our policing powers, placed on us by the ECHR, such as rules on arrest and detainment, phone tapping / hacking, reading emails etc.

Judging from her statement, May intends to increase police powers to monitor and arrest suspects.

But I would agree that cutting police numbers so drastically hasn't helped.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:51 pm

I think the last criticism you could have of our security services is that they lack the ability to intercept our communications...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Scottrf wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Jesus Prawn...stop posting stuff I agree with, out of the blue like that! Just as well I had a chair handy.

And all the resources in the world won't help if our intel services are ignoring reports from people trying to bring attention to potential terrorists. Some backsides definitely need to be kicked on that score.

I don't think ignoring reports is the right terminology. They are categorising and prioritising.

Numbers vary somewhat but there are 500 people being actively investigated, 3,000 with high concern and tens of thousands with sympathies towards the ideologies. The sheer volume of information must be staggering and we cannot afford to follow up and act on everything.

Maybe they made a mistake in not considering some a higher priority but I don't think that's something the media or public knows, or can know.

Just think of the additional work that could have been done had 19,000 officers not been removed from the force.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Forgive me for not wishing to drain away my life sifting through age old posts on 606v2 and apologies to you if it wasn't you but I've posted before on here about SNP performing better on the NHS than Westminster government is and on the state of prison services yet posters here have been blinkered very much to that. The mindset of posters here (a lot of whom are not even living in Scotland) is that the SNP are incompetent when so much points to that being untrue. I'm not saying the SNP are perfect but thank god I am not faced with GSC's dilemma.

Oh I agree, and I'm certainly not one of those that thinks that everything that the SNP ever does is bad. In fact, I'm very sympathetic with the Scots' position with them being so politically divorced from mainstream British politics these days.

The difference is that you can't handle any criticism levied at the SNP at all. You've displayed that multiple times.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Scottrf wrote:

According to the news reports I've seen, at least one of the London attackers was reported on multiple occasions, as far back as 2015. Even if there is no evidence of attacks being planned, if they are being reported by people in their communities, as having extremist tendencies, they should be subject to closer scrutiny, at the very least.

I'm aware of the figures and I think it shows our police and security services desperately need more personnel, so that more of these people can be kept track of. Maybe a different prioritisation system would help too.

I know its unrealistic to expect every single terrorist plot to be thwarted, but having these 3 in fairly close succession, indicates to me that some pretty radical changes are in order.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:57 pm

As an aside, has anyone seen the clip of Maybot on ITV where the interviewer asks here what the naughtiest thing she ever did was?

If not, I encourage you to watch it. I never knew Theresa was such a rogue.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:02 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:
Scottrf wrote:

According to the news reports I've seen, at least one of the London attackers was reported on multiple occasions, as far back as 2015. Even if there is no evidence of attacks being planned, if they are being reported by people in their communities, as having extremist tendencies, they should be subject to closer scrutiny, at the very least.
1. You don't know that they weren't watched more closely.
2. Do you know how many people are reported?
3. Threats change. Maybe he wasn't a serious threat when reported.

Lets says 20,000 people have been reported since 2010. You think we can have a man watching them constantly for that time?

Criticising based on someone being reported is only valid if 1. You can prove that based on the information they had that they were a bigger threat than others that more attention was paid to or 2. We can afford to keep constant surveillance on everyone that's ever been reported. Neither of those is the case.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:03 pm

Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
Scottrf wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:

Oh I agree, and I'm certainly not one of those that thinks that everything that the SNP ever does is bad. In fact, I'm very sympathetic with the Scots' position with them being so politically divorced from mainstream British politics these days.

The difference is that you can't handle any criticism levied at the SNP at all. You've displayed that multiple times.

With good reason when criticism comes from quarters outwith Scotland. I am the sort that will go into trench mode if you will. If people throw so much crap without listening to reason then I will throw it back. Sadly, that dilutes the quality of debate but there you go.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:07 pm

Well then you should work on that because it detracts from your points.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Well then you should work on that because it detracts from your points.

Perhaps put out a board-wide post then as there are others far more guilty than me of that.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:14 pm

Lol. You're doing it again. This is why people don't take you seriously.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:17 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Lol. You're doing it again. This is why people don't take you seriously.

No it is a very valid point actually. Pity you cannot see that but hey-ho I will leave you to it. thumbsup

Enjoy the election folks.

CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Happy voting Craig! thumbsup

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Pr4wn wrote:As an aside, has anyone seen the clip of Maybot on ITV where the interviewer asks here what the naughtiest thing she ever did was?

If not, I encourage you to watch it. I never knew Theresa was such a rogue.
Was her answer 'f*ck the NHS'?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:40 pm

Just watch it, you won't regret it.

Sounds like she was completely uncontrollable as a child.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:42 pm

She likes to run through wheat - back before power changed her from Smaegol to Gollum

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:51 pm

https://www.indy100.com/article/election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-terrorism-policing-pmq-david-cameron-2015-bridge-7776511

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Scottrf wrote:https://www.indy100.com/article/election-2017-jeremy-corbyn-terrorism-policing-pmq-david-cameron-2015-bridge-7776511

Dont know why I expected better behaviour from a bunch of sociopaths.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:55 pm

But.... but... he hates the UK?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Ahh the good old days of David Cameron putting Corbyn in his place.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next