The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australia v Scotland, 17 June

+44
Cyril
Heaf
Hood83
Poorfour
GLove39
Heuer27
mikey_dragon
cakeordeath
R!skysports
carpet baboon
BigTrevsbigmac
Hammersmith harrier
GunsGermsV2
TightHEAD
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Taylorman
eirebilly
Thunderthighs
Gooseberry
highland_scot
beshocked
TJ
bsando
boomeranga
Scottrf
Mad for Chelsea
MacKnocked-on
nickj
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Tattie Scones RRN
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
BigGee
RossAnderson
EWT Spoons
Pal Joey
international198
LondonTiger
tigertattie
EST
RDW
jimbopip
RuggerRadge2611
George Carlin
48 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Empty Australia v Scotland, 17 June

Post by George Carlin Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Wallab10       Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Scot_f10   
AUSTRALIA SCOTLAND  
17 June 2017
15:00 AEST (UTC+10)
Allianz Stadium, Sydney

Live on Sky

Referee: Wayne Barnes (England)
ARs: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

30 Played 30
21 Won 9
0 Drawn 0
9 Lost 21
729 Points 386 

B. Recent Form

12 November 2016
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
22 – 23 to Australia

18 October 2015 
Twickenham
35-34 to Australia

23 November 2013
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
15 – 21 to Australia

5 June 2012
Hunter Stadium, Newcastle
6 – 9 to Scotland

21 November 2009
Murrayfield, Edinburgh
9 – 8 to Scotland

C. TEAMS:

AUSTRALIA
Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Roy__h10
Israel Folau; Dane Haylett-Petty, Tevita Kuridrani, Karmichael Hunt, Eto Nabuli; Bernard Foley, Will Genia; Tom Robertson, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Allan Alaalatoa; Sam Carter, Adam Coleman; Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper (capt), Scott Higginbotham.

Bench to be announced.

SCOTLAND 
Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Stillg10
Greig Tonks; Lee Jones, Alex Dunbar, Duncan Taylor, Rory Hughes; Finn Russell, Ali Price; Gordon Reid, Fraser Brown, Zander Fagerson; Ben Toolis, Jonny Gray; John Barclay (capt), Hamish Watson, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Ross Ford, Allan Dell, WP Nel, Tim Swinson, Josh Strauss, Henry Pyrgos, Ruaridh Jackson, Matt Scott.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Australia v Scotland, 17 June - Page 7 Empty Re: Australia v Scotland, 17 June

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:47 am

I think it's been more the case earlier in the season, but admittedly he's continued to improve since then so perhaps Finn wasn't the best example.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Yeah I'm not sure of many Scots questioning his international credentials - that's all come you lot!

Especially when looking at the alternatives... Adam Hastings is just a lad, but it will be interesting to see how he pushes Russell this season at Glasgow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:58 am

My issue with Russell has been in the past days when he's missed touch two or three times in a game and then walk off the pitch giggling to himself, if Weir did that we'd crucify him. As he gets older these mistakes are leaving his game. I've now reached a stage when if you offered me Sexton, Ford, Farrell or even the blessed Biggar in exchange I'd tell you to take a running jump. I think he'd have been the ideal midweek fly-half for the Lions but he's a Lion now and you can't take that away from him and we've beaten Australia away.

It's now 11 years since we've been more than a score away from Australia. Perhaps we could send some players down to Wales in a consultant position...

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:51 pm

123456789 wrote:My issue with Russell has been in the past days when he's missed touch two or three times in a game and then walk off the pitch giggling to himself, if Weir did that we'd crucify him. As he gets older these mistakes are leaving his game. I've now reached a stage when if you offered me Sexton, Ford, Farrell or even the blessed Biggar in exchange I'd tell you to take a running jump. I think he'd have been the ideal midweek fly-half for the Lions but he's a Lion now and you can't take that away from him and we've beaten Australia away.

It's now 11 years since we've been more than a score away from Australia. Perhaps we could send some players down to Wales in a consultant position...

To be fair Wales are usually within a score of Australia too...

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:24 pm

Under 20s have beaten Australia too!!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Scotland mens and under 20s both 5th in the world king

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Scotland mens and under 20s both 5th in the world king
Now, if only we had their women and their weather...
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:45 pm

Really nice piece in the BBC analysing Scotlands win - well worth reading it to see there are some pundits out there who understand what is happening

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40316455

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:46 pm

eirebilly wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
GLove39 wrote:Now that was worth getting up for!!!

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

I trust there will be a celebration video uploaded soon?

Ha, was thinking the same.

There you go! https://www.facebook.com/glove39/videos/1734628313219243/ thumbsup

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 am

Bloody awesome performance from Toonie and his legends. Thought Toolis, Barclay, Watson, Price, Russell and Taylor were particularly good. Wilson played village idiot again.

Scottish rugby is on fire at the moment and long may it continue.

Sadly work has finally got round to blocking 606v2 so am afraid you'll be hearing a bit less from me going forward. It's only taken them something like 11 years to curtail my rugby blogging!!

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Bloody awesome performance from Toonie and his legends. Thought Toolis,  Barclay,  Watson,  Price, Russell and Taylor were particularly good. Wilson played village idiot again.

Sadly work has finally got round to blocking 606v2 so am afraid you'll be hearing a bit less from me going forward. It's only taken them something like 11 years to curtail my rugby blogging!!

Oh no, how will we ever survive! Very Happy

That's what toilets and phones were made for OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:Bloody awesome performance from Toonie and his legends. Thought Toolis,  Barclay,  Watson,  Price, Russell and Taylor were particularly good. Wilson played village idiot again.

Could you tell my work colleagues that please. They are convinced my repeated loo visits, phone in hand, are for a much more carnal activity.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:03 am

I'll just tell my team I've developed Chrones. That should cut short any questions.

The only thing to make me wonder if I didn't dream up the whole weekend was the Lions call-up for Alan Dell. Did that really happen??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:09 am

In other news, Toonie has trimmed his squad down sending Dunbar and Bardbury home for early rest and Carmichael has gone back to Australia.

Can understand Dunbar being rested but Bradbury has been out injured for ages and only played 20 minutes against Italy!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:In other news, Toonie has trimmed his squad down sending Dunbar and Bardbury home for early rest and Carmichael has gone back to Australia.

Can understand Dunbar being rested but Bradbury has been out injured for ages and only played 20 minutes against Italy!

I wouldn't have sent Bradbury home, but I'm now just going to keep my own council on such matters. In the Tombola we trust...
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:31 am

Bradbury should have stayed with Wilson going home.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:33 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'll just tell my team I've developed Chrones. That should cut short any questions.

The only thing to make me wonder if I didn't dream up the whole weekend was the Lions call-up for Alan Dell. Did that really happen??

Surely at your age you take lots of toilet trips anyway?

And yes it did happen, but given that the alternatives from Scotland or Wales were Nicky Smith, Ellis Genge or Gordie Reid it is less of a surprise!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:42 am

LondonTiger wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

Could you tell my work colleagues that please. They are convinced my repeated loo visits, phone in hand, are for a much more carnal activity.
Laugh clap
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:04 pm

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:21 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'll just tell my team I've developed Chrones. That should cut short any questions.

Surely at your age you take lots of toilet trips anyway?

And yes it did happen, but given that the alternatives from Scotland or Wales were Nicky Smith, Ellis Genge or Gordie Reid it is less of a surprise!

Headscratch

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm

You now what I mean!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:You now what I mean!
Headscratch

Very Happy

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:25 pm

boxing

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RossAnderson Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm in Salou and I'm drunk so this post may be absolute Poopie talking, however:

Without trying to jynx it I really have the feeling Scotland are building something special. The coaches and players aren't screaming it but just slowly getting better and better. It showed first in performances, even in the 2015 whitewash the performance against the Welsh got me believing. Now the results are reflecting the improvement, I even expected us to win on Saturday and looking back a few years that is such an alien feeling.

In 2012 I lived in California for 10 months, in that time I grew fond of a basketball team called the golden state warriors. At the that time they were one of them the worst teams in basketball and had never been great since the 70s. But since then they built, slowly at first, making the playoffs 1year then getting an all star. It started with slow progress each year then exploded. Today they are one of the most dominant sports teams in the world. What Scotland are building feels so much like what gsw built.

I'm so excited for what this team can do and the brilliant memories to come. The future is bright, it's been a long time since we could say that!

RossAnderson

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:56 pm

careful now, warning

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:59 pm

RossAnderson wrote:I'm in Salou and I'm drunk so this post may be absolute Poopie talking, however:

I'm so excited for what this team can do and the brilliant memories to come. The future is bright, it's been a long time since we could say that!

So two things:
1. I wish I was able to speak, let alone type, that eloquently when drunk, hats off.
2. I think we have been down the 'future is bright' route quite a few times before and it's always come back to shoe us up the ar*e. Not saying this isn't an actual corner being turned, but I've been bitten by this optimism before so moderately more cautious about this.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:21 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RossAnderson wrote:I'm in Salou and I'm drunk so this post may be absolute Poopie talking, however:

So two things:
1. I wish I was able to speak, let alone type, that eloquently when drunk, hats off.
2. I think we have been down the 'future is bright' route quite a few times before and it's always come back to shoe us up the ar*e.  Not saying this isn't an actual corner being turned, but I've been bitten by this optimism before so moderately more cautious about this.

Whilst I am trying to keep feet on the ground, I think we can all say that this feels distinctly different.

I think a lot of these silver linings we were riding our luck quite well, however the attacking display against Australia and Italy, and the predatory nature of some of the opportunistic scores coupled with that devastating defensive shift to close the game out on Saturday feels different.

I did not expect a team with Lee Jones, Greig Tonks and Rory Hughes to hold that Australian side out. And do you know what? It didn't feel like luck. It didn't feel like Australia were playing horrendously badly.

I lost count of how many driving mauls we successfully defended, just a season ago every team that got a driving maul going against us scored a try.

Finishing off with a win in Fiji, Toonie at the helm in Scotland with Cockers and Rennie coaching the clubs, it does feel like a corner has been turned.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:35 pm

I largely agree with you radge, my concern is that on this tour so far we've played a woeful Italian side and an Australian team on the slide.

yes it was a great performance from an under strength Scotland team, and I'm not taking anything away from the performance or the result I'm just reluctant to start celebrating just yet.

Don't get me wrong, come the start of the 6 nations I'll be as confident and optimistic as ever, but after many many many (etc etc) years of hurt I'm sticking with caution for the time being.

It'll also be interesting to see how we get on against Fiji without Finn.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

I hear Russell is off to Montpellier. Vern wanting him to move over with him. Would be a shame to lose him from the Pro12. We need to try to keep hold of our best players (obviously!).

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:52 pm

Griff wrote:I hear Russell is off to Montpellier. Vern wanting him to move over with him. Would be a shame to lose him from the Pro12. We need to try to keep hold of our best players (obviously!).

I would doubt that very much - it would be a very poor move by Russell.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:14 pm

TJ wrote:
Griff wrote:I hear Russell is off to Montpellier. Vern wanting him to move over with him. Would be a shame to lose him from the Pro12. We need to try to keep hold of our best players (obviously!).

https://www.rugbypass.com/article/scottish-pivot-finn-russell-linked-big-money-move

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm

I don't see how it would be a bad move - living in the south of France, sharing 10 duties with Cruden, being paid a bucketload, being with a familiar coach.....could be worse.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm

TJ wrote:

I couldn't disagree more with you TJ. He'll be back training under big VC, he'll also be competing against Cruden to start in the 10 Jersey meaning he won't be getting absolutely flogged, and it opens the door for Adam Hastings at Glasgow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:33 pm

He will not get the care an attention he gets for Glasgow nor will he be released for all Scotland training camps - his right to go after the big bucks but I think he would be better served with a few more years at Glasgow

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:13 pm

TJ wrote:He will not get the care an attention he gets for Glasgow nor will he be released for all Scotland training camps - his right to go after the big bucks but I think he would be better served with a few more years at Glasgow

I dare say Cotter will be in a position to release him.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:41 am

I see its mooted for two years time - that makes it a better move for him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:28 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
TJ wrote:

I couldn't disagree more with you TJ. He'll be back training under big VC, he'll also be competing against Cruden to start in the 10 Jersey meaning he won't be getting absolutely flogged, and it opens the door for Adam Hastings at Glasgow.
It all depends whether he negotiates a clause in his contract releasing him for international windows.

What he seems to have signed is a pre-contract which means that detail like that is still up for negotiation. You earn less by adding a get-out clause like that but at the Pelly, "less money" is all relative! A bit less of 'a sh!tload of money' is still arguably a sh!tload of money.

I would hope that Vern will at least have some latent sensitivity to releasing Finn for Scotland duty.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:34 am

Given that Scotland rarely play games outside of international windows (unlike Wales or England) I don't think international release would be s problem as they have to let him go. He certainly wouldn't get the rest between 6N games though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 am

TJ wrote:I see its mooted for two years time - that makes it a better move for him

I thought it said the end of next season? That's next May/June isn't it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7