The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

+19
Roller_Coaster
owen10ozzy
SmithersJones
John Cregan
super_realist
navyblueshorts
puligny
beninho
wiretapper
1GrumpyGolfer
pedro
MontysMerkin
raycastleunited
GPB
Shotrock
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
sirbenson
kwinigolfer
23 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

Not much insight on this week that's not readily available to all, but a few notes following Danny Berger's Memphis win and some other random odds and sods:

1).There was once a famous jockey in Britain, even before my time, called Harry Wragg, and they used to call him "The Head Waiter" as he'd be riding the only horse moving forward at the finish line when every other nag was treading water or had run its race. That came to mind last weekend as Berger was the only Pro* in the field to either equal his previous round or improve his score from Thursday thru Sunday. That's a recipe for finishing well before the final groups, sitting watching TV and swigging a pint of Brickwoods as the pace-setters all fell back.
Daniel duly won his second title and is only one behind the total of ATP titles won by Father Jay - but Jay reached #7 in the world rankings so at #24 Danny Boy still has some way to go.

2).Jay also played two years of Davis Cup and Daniel reached #5 in the US Presidents Cup qualification league table.

3).*The wonderfully named amateur college student, Braden Thornberry, may sound like a judge in My Cousin Vinny, or perhaps a retired Wingco Tory MP from the shires, but Thorney (perhaps the Wingco was stationed there?) also improved, by two shots a day, 71, 69, 67, 65. Who does he think he is? Renato Paratore?? Both play in a hurry so happy about that.

4).Unfortunately, and perhaps unfairly, such a performance by an amateur gets him nothing more than sponsor invitations on the PGA Tour; a similar plight befell Lee McCoy when he finished 4th at the 2016 Valspar and he couldn't even play Q-School because of an injury. "Hang on Sloopy", the Tour said, "You can't prove you're the Real McCoy yet because success as an amateur don't get nuttin as a Pro". Unless you're Scott Verplank or Phil Mickelson.
I believe I'm correct in saying that Thorney's Top Ten doesn't even get him into Hartford, but hopefully The Travelers will take him under their umbrella and get him a sponsor invite tout suite.
So now he's left with the thorny dilemma as to whether to turn pro or return to U Of Mississippi for another year or two.

5).OK, A cage was rattled on last week's thread by saying that Berger can be tough to pull for. Won't revisit that, but Golf Digest has a timely list of the Tour's Top Thirty "Good Guys" - over fifties excluded so Steve Stricker can't win again, a bit like Comeback Player of the Year really. (By the way, who'd vote against Stewart Cink as Comeback Player of 2017?) But I digress . . . . .

6). . . . . Number One Mr.Good Guy, as voted by "players, caddies, media, members (of what?), various golf officials and insiders", Golf Digest put Jordan Spieth at the head of the class. Followed by:
T2 Finau, Adam Scott.
4: Cink
5: Fowler
6: Billy Hurley
7: Ogilvy (of course, he must be the tour's most quoted as well)
8: Snedeker
9: Rose
10: Andrew Johnston (and I have a bit of a beef with that one. Who'd they ask? Arby's??
They list 30 in all and I reckon Jason Day is the only one I'd really quibble with.
Three who I would've thought would make the list but were overlooked are: Nick Watney, Luke Donald, Molinari. Oh well.

7).Our friend "Undercover Tour Pro" is at it again, following up on Phil's assertion that questioned the way "a number of guys on tour" mark their ball. Undercover reckons "maybe 20 guys deliberately fudge their mark within a half-inch", the Lexi Thompson margin in error.
All I'd say is "you ain't seen nothing yet" as the new rule about dropping the ball, instead of from shoulder height to an inch above ground, is sure to be abused. Can't see any reason for that change whatsoever.
As an aside, I'm often pleasantly surprised how gentlemanly the dialogue is between officials and pros. Within the space of two hours at a tournament a year or two ago, we watched Bud Cauley, Chris Stroud and Charlie Wi all accept with full equanimity rulings that could have been debated or contended. Good to see.

8).I know nothing about Erin Hills, the golf course. The golf media has written at length about the design and ownership haggles going back to its inception, but all I really think I know about the course is that it has wide fairways, is as long as they want, and has unforgiving rough (although, following players' reactions, but not necessarily because of them - clear throat - they're now cutting the fescue).
My picks this week will probably be the best drivers combined with US Open temperament and a decent short game. The Tour's driving (combination of distance and accuracy rankings) show this Top Ten of those playing:
Fowler, Garcia, (Stanley is a non-runner), Bubba, Glover, (DeLaet, n/r), Bradley, Lowry, Steele, Henley, Molinari, Matsuyama.
No idea if that's instructive or a red herring with 50 or 60 yard-wide fairways.

9).Some of the field played the US Amateur when Kelly Kraft was the Champion. He's failed to qualify, probably crying in his beer over the perceived inequities of the owgrs. He beat Cantlay in the Final but neither he nor the beaten semi-finalists have made the field.
But of those who played and return this week:
QFinalists: Spieth, Uihlein,
3rd Round: None
2nd Round: Justin Thomas, Harris English, DeChambeau, Russell Henley,
1st Round: Stephan Jaeger,
A few others didn't qualify for Match Play, but one curiosity which shows how careers can diverge: Spieth and Thomas were beaten by the same man: Jack Senior!

10).News coming through that the USGA is cutting the rough.
It seems there are guys and girls on hot seats wherever you look these days:
Terry May and her Tory grandees.
Drumpf and the editorial staff at Breitbart.
Mike Davis and his USGA grandees, and they have put their c0cks firmly on the block this year with the selection, and course set-up, of Erin Hills as this year's venue. Advance press reports haven't exactly been glowing, but only time will tell whether this is another Chambers Bay or a Wisconsin version of Birkdale (give or take an ocean). I'm looking forward to finding out (albeit via the dreaded Fox TV).
Meanwhile, where's Jack Senior when you need him?

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue 13 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 5:45 pm

Rory may have had 5 top 10's since his last major win but how many times has he been in serious contention since his last win....maybe the only time was the Masters 2016, when he was a shot off the lead after two rounds?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 3 Empty Re: PGA Tour: US Open - Wide Open: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 5:46 pm

Why are Sky starting there coverage two hours after Fox started there coverage?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 16 Jun 2017, 5:49 pm

Beef is having a great US open thus far, lets hope he keeps it up. Overall the English aren't doing too bad at the moment. I'll be interested to see what Rahm and Johnson can come out and do this afternoon...big test of temprement and ability to bounce back, especially for the former.

Regards Rory, whilst no one may be looking like catching his major total yet, lets remember it's only 4 and their are a whole host of younger players who are showing a far superior all around game than he holds. I feel like for the better part of two years now he hasn't shored up any of his weak areas within his game...putting is still poor in general...course management is still pretty poor and his consistency on a round to round basis is a major concern.

Lest we forget that upon picking up his 4th Major we all spoke about how far ahead he was of the others and that we were looking at a 10+ major winner...at the moment he is starting to look more like the Andy Murray of the golf world...that's to say come the end will we all be saying he underachieved given his supposed talent?

Yes Sirbenson...that's what I was saying; he hasn't looked like winning one really. I mean given how quickly/early his body is breaking down on him already...is he even likely to be picking up majors in his late 30's/early 40's...I highly doubt it.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri 16 Jun 2017, 5:58 pm

What younger players are showing a far superior all around game?

The level of golfers is so great, anyone could win a major. Out of the "big" players I dont see any getting anywhere near 4 anytime soon. Players go through cycles when they look like being the next unbeatable superstar. there will not be another Tiger Woods for many many years, big players will play well and maybe get one or two but no one looks like they will dominate the era. 4 majors will be plenty compared to otehrs for a while to come.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

Wesley Bryan just gone bogey, triple, triple, bogey....the US Open slowly starting to play like a US Open

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 6:56 pm

I've never understood why a withdrawal doesn't count as a missed cut? Am I missing something here?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:02 pm

Re: Rory and Andy Murray.
Would much rather reflect on how well they've done in their careers rather than say they underachieve when they don't win.
Having said which, for crissake get fit Rory - a shame he reserved his best form last year for the FedEx action.
Anyway, he and Jason Day get an extra two days to practice for The Travelers - if they don't cry off sick.

I've under-achieved this week, clean forgot the cut is Top 60 and ties - and that puts guys like Adam Scott in gave peril.

Trip wasted by Chris Wood with a triple bogey on his final hole to throttle his chances of playing the weekend. Shame.

sirb, It does effectively, surely?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:05 pm

As someone who is far from a supporter of Mcilroy and Murray....I got to see Murray has made the most of his game, and I don't feel Mcilroy is

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:06 pm

I don't know if it officially counts as a missed cut Kwini! I'm not too sure

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

sirb,
It certainly counts as a start and definitely not a cut made!

Sergio and Ernie the only Major Champions in the Top 30. And Scott's score change sends him on his way - my one-and-done for the week done!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:24 pm

Stenson with a short miss on his probably means a missed cut

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:43 pm

sirbenson wrote:I've never understood why a withdrawal doesn't count as a missed cut? Am I missing something here?

Must be that he doesn't get a 0.1 Shocked

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Fri 16 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

[quote="kwinigolfer"]Re: Rory and Andy Murray.
Would much rather reflect on how well they've done in their careers rather than say they underachieve when they don't win.
Having said which, for crissake get fit Rory - a shame he reserved his best form last year for the FedEx action.
Anyway, he and Jason Day get an extra two days to practice for The Travelers - if they don't cry off sick.

Think of the number of Championships that Andy Murray would have won if the court had been as wide as Erin Hills!!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 8:03 pm

Was getting to like Fox's coverage and then we now stop live coverage to go with Paul Azinger to visit the Harley Davidson museum. WTF!!!

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 16 Jun 2017, 8:22 pm

If Rose misses the cut, sad to see it happen with an unforced error on his last hole. Does not look as windy this afternoon as compared to yesterday afternoon.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 16 Jun 2017, 8:35 pm

Butch just commentated "All the big names are on the course" Errr.....no, quite a lot of them are going home.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:15 pm

sirbenson wrote:I don't know if it officially counts as a missed cut Kwini! I'm not too sure

For the PGATour consecutive cut streak, a WD after you teed off and prior to the 36 hole definitely means a MC.

Always thought those "fluff" pieces (Like the Harley Davidson museum) were designed to give the announcers and crew a comfort break.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

Thanks GPB

DJ, Jordan and Hideki trying to get back into this tournament it seems!

Whilst I type this Short chance missed from DJ

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:38 pm

sirbenson wrote:Whilst I type this Short chance missed from DJ

Curtis Strange jinxed him over that putt. "Just three feet, straight as straight can be". "Taps in for par"

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:42 pm

Jon Rahm's petulant attitude will hold him back in my opinion, he gets down on himself after every poor shot

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:59 pm

Not surprised Rory's missed the cut, disappointed yes but not surprised. You would think Rory's career is now focused around major championships, hard to fathom he would make it more difficult for himself by putting a new club in the bag this week.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 16 Jun 2017, 10:02 pm

sirbenson wrote:Jon Rahm's petulant attitude will hold him back in my opinion, he gets down on himself after every poor shot

He's certainly doing a lot of huffing and puffing steam

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:24 pm

Cameron Champ T6: Never heard of him.

Very interesting leaderboard but a strong feeling that Saturday will be a true "moving day".

Shotrock: Justin Rose out with the washing, like most of my "sporty" picks!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:33 pm

Rahm is only 22, think he will be fine as the experiences come and go..

Regards the Murray & Rory comparison - Neither have underachieved when looking at the simple facts..both multiple major winners in their respective sports with a whole host of other titles to their names....that being said when you delve a little deeper into what was expected of them/opportunities to add to that major count, their very well may be an argument that come the end of their careers they would have underachieved.

Sirbenson - You said McIlroy hasn't made the most of what he has got...playing devils advocate is their an argument to suggest he actually has? He lacks a putting game, wouldn't say he is close to top in Iron play or scrambling..when his driver is not working he often struggles massively.

Beninho - I would argue that Matsuyama...Spieth...Pieters and this year Rahm to name but 4 younger players who have a better all around game than Rory. Don't get me wrong when Rory is on he blows them out of the water...BUT...when Rory is off I don't think he is consistently able to drag rounds out of himself like those mentioned..

Put it this way...imagine all 5 of of them had their biggest strength not working at all during a round...which would you bank your money on still being able to pull out a win...Rory would be closer to the bottom than the top for me

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:47 pm

Very contentious ozzy!
But I agree with your Rahm assessment - too good not to figure it out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 16 Jun 2017, 11:54 pm

Indeed Kwini - But not for the sake of it; I truly believe that everyone will be left feeling a little underwhelmed by Rory's career come the end of it. Put it this way...I see at least a dozen guys in this era getting more overall victories than him and I would even go as far as to say I think he collects 1 Major at a push in the next 5 years...

He isn't consistent enough week in week out to pick up multiple wins time and again and factor in he physically seems to already have numerous issues I would hedge my bets he isn't going to be like your Garcia, Stenson, Phil etc and be able to play at the top for as long into his 40's

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:03 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Cameron Champ T6: Never heard of him.

Very interesting leaderboard but a strong feeling that Saturday will be a true "moving day".

Shotrock: Justin Rose out with the washing, like most of my "sporty" picks!

I've never heard of him either Kwini but what a great name - big hitter from Sacramento and I thought interviewed well after his second round. Agree that tomorrow will be the day. Why oh why did Rory make a point of the pesky fesque!!

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:04 am

I wouldn't write him off just yet Owen. The reason I say that is this is an exceptional year for him, marriage, equipment change, injury etc. I don't think anyone has the ball striking ability of Rory, when thats ON it's incredible. I think he won't win a Major this year, but will play well in the Fedex cup series. He needs to focus on majors and tell everyone including sponsors to back off, then he can play his best. He has the talent, I hope he finds a way.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:15 am

owen10ozzy wrote:Indeed Kwini - But not for the sake of it; I truly believe that everyone will be left feeling a little underwhelmed by Rory's career come the end of it. Put it this way...I see at least a dozen guys in this era getting more overall victories than him and I would even go as far as to say I think he collects 1 Major at a push in the next 5 years...

He isn't consistent enough week in week out to pick up multiple wins time and again and factor in he physically seems to already have numerous issues I would hedge my bets he isn't going to be like your Garcia, Stenson, Phil etc and be able to play at the top for as long into his 40's

Some good points here -  and would add that in my view I feel that, although Rory handles the media and pressure of been one of the worlds best players very well,  he can allow these obligations to get in the way of his day job.

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:32 am

I would just say that it'll be his 20's and 30's that define Rory; imagine that body will break down, as one is sure Jason Day's will. But won't his legacy be established by then?

By the way, if he reaches Phil's accomplishments, six Majors and the rest, that would represent a phenomenal career.

Very interesting that the leading score is no better than Rickie's -7 that they all slept on. -10 will be a very good (winning?) score. Potential for a very dodgy weather day Saturday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jun 2017, 2:20 am

http://www.usopen.com/tee-times.html#!round-3

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 17 Jun 2017, 7:32 am

Odds on that we get another first time major winner this week. That would be 7 straight since zachers won at st andrews in 2015?

Shows the strength in depth on tour. Though cant say im massively excited with the leaderboard. Hopefully sergio can surge up it.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sat 17 Jun 2017, 7:46 am

Regarding Rory, just had a look, since he was able to get into all majors in 2009, he has won 4 of them, three players have 2 wins and lots with just one. He has clearly been the most successful golfer for nigh on 8 years. Some times its easier to knock soneone rather than praise them. If he gave up tomorrow, he would be a golf great based on his record.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Jun 2017, 10:55 am

Great recovery for Casey after a triple, I like Fleetwood, hope he can hang on and contend. Wide open still really, anyone par or better still must have a chance.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sat 17 Jun 2017, 10:57 am

I'd go 8 majors for Rory as a likely career total, but could be 4 or could be 12. If he is to win a few more he does need to win the next one soon though, wouldn't surprise me if he wins the Open.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:08 pm

Rahm fast becoming a pea-brain in training. He'll need to get that temper in control.

Ask me to pick one player who has the best chance of winning any of the next 10 majors and I'll choose Rory.

Casey's time? Why not.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:34 pm

Steve Elkington trying to get in Rory's grill

I lol'd

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/06/16/rory-mcilroy-fires-back-former-pro-twitter-following-us-open

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sat 17 Jun 2017, 12:51 pm

Rory got into a twitter spat with Elk after accusations that Rory is bored with the game.

Rory responding that he has won/been given £200 million.

My take on Rory is that for whatever reason he has got worse in the in the three years. Is it really possible that he is already past his peak or can he return to having the game that could blow fields apart?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jun 2017, 3:27 pm

Mac, I think we've got used to people having careers that are long at the top, like Els, or Mickelson, but there is nothing to say once you reach the top, you'll stay there. Plenty of players never maintain the early promise. Look at Rev Gordon Spieth, he's not exactly backing up his 2015 is he?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jun 2017, 4:16 pm

Here is some data that supports the comments from Steve Wheatcroft.

5 out of the 16 Qualifiers from Walton Heath sectional made the cut. Stroke Avg 73.81

9 out of the 15 Qualifiers from Columbus, OH sectional made the cut. Stroke Avg 72.63

7 out of the 10 Qualifiers from Memphis, TN sectional made the cut. Stroke Avg 72.2

I have data on the other sectionals if anyone wants to see it.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jun 2017, 4:25 pm

Interesting stat's, GPB, just nothing to do with what Wheatcroft was saying.

More birdies than bogeys this morning so far . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jun 2017, 4:32 pm

Sure it is. Wheatcroft was complaining that Walton Heath was getting too many qualifying spots

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jun 2017, 4:54 pm

GPB wrote:Here is some data that supports the comments from Steve Wheatcroft.

5 out of the 16 Qualifiers from Walton Heath sectional made the cut.  Stroke Avg 73.81

9 out of the 15 Qualifiers from Columbus, OH sectional made the cut.  Stroke Avg 72.63

7 out of the 10 Qualifiers from Memphis, TN sectional made the cut.  Stroke Avg 72.2

I have data on the other sectionals if anyone wants to see it.

What point is Wheatcroft trying to make? So what if only 5 made the cut? It's completely irrelevant. It's as useful as comparing how someone did last week to this week in a tour event.

The top 3 in the rankings didn't make the cut either. Are we trying to say the rankings aren't credible now? If Wheatcroft is saying Walton Heath shouldn't have so many spots, he's just being a protectionist plank. Perhaps he should go on a date with fellow oaf Gayson Murray.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jun 2017, 5:15 pm

There's a lot of protectionist plankitude going around just now.

I can't be bothered to count all the entries from every site, but about 100 entered Walton Heath, so 15% qualified, plus an alternate.

I don't agree with the way either the US Open or Open Championship qualify golfers, would much prefer they went back to the old way, say take the Top 100 plus other exemptions and have qualies (relatively) locally for those who really care - rather than, say, the "Top 4 not otherwise exempt inside the Top 12 at the Greenbrier Classic".

Much better when the likes of Faxon and Sluman used to go over and try to qualify, and Brian Davis etc did it the other way round. Trying to be all things to all people never works.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat 17 Jun 2017, 6:33 pm

Kwini, Sometimes discussing points with you is like playing WHACK-A-MOLE. IMO, Wheatcroft was saying that the WH sectional got too many spots

Here is what we know

USGA allotted:

15 spots out of 111 qualifiers to Walton Heath Sectional (13.5%
14 spots out of 122 qualifiers to Columbus Sectional (11.5%)
9 spots out of 108 qualifiers at Memphis Sectional (8.3%)

Each of these Sectionals got to add one alternate to the field after the final Top 60 was determine.

That tells me the USGA rated the England Sectional as "stronger" than either Columbus or Memphis. And on the surface that is probably true. I suspect a greater percentage of the England qualifier were Exempt from Local Qualifying as I can't see many local qualifiers (all in North America) going to England to sectionally qualify.

Which probably means most of the England qualifiers were ranked in the OWGR Top 500 as that is probably the main exemption from local qualifiers.

Several times I have pointed to evidence (not necessary proof) that there is an anti-PGATour bias in the OWGR rankings. Between the Sagarin Rankings, Papers from Rendleman, numbers are clearly saying that PGAtour players are under-ranked. That means other players, particularly EuroTour player, are over-ranked.

It doesn't show up at the top of the rankings, but more so in the rankings from 75-500 where the journeyman of both tours are ranked.

US Open Application wrote:L-20. From the current Official World Golf Rankings, the top 500 point leaders and anyone tying for 500th place as of March 6, 2017.
L-21. From the current Official World Golf Rankings, the top 500 point leaders and anyone tying for 500th place as of April 26, 2017.
L-22. Any player who had multiple finishes in the top 400 of the year-end Official World Golf Rankings in the last five calendar years.

https://champs.usga.org/EntryForms/usopen_2017.pdf

IMO...there were too many Eurotour players exempt from Local qualifying, mainly from L20-L22, which made the WH sectional look stronger than it actually was.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 17 Jun 2017, 6:47 pm

Maybe; a daft system nevertheless.
Thought you might be more interested in the 2.07 tee time, and it's connection with GT.

In other news, signs of life from Brian Davis - three rounds in the 60's in the web.com action in Wichita. Tied after Round 3 with some bloke called Allenby.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 17 Jun 2017, 8:08 pm

I see Clarkie's put the weight back on....

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 17 Jun 2017, 8:25 pm

There are two European players in the co-lead with another that's played on the European Tour - Keopka, GPB. You always seem to be complaining about Europeans on the PGA Tour, don't you think they add to it? Make it better?

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 17 Jun 2017, 8:49 pm

GPB wrote:Kwini, Sometimes discussing points with you is like playing WHACK-A-MOLE.  IMO, Wheatcroft was saying that the WH sectional got too many spots

Here is what we know

USGA allotted:

15 spots out of 111 qualifiers to Walton Heath Sectional (13.5%
14 spots out of 122 qualifiers to Columbus Sectional (11.5%)
9 spots out of 108 qualifiers at Memphis Sectional (8.3%)

Each of these Sectionals got to add one alternate to the field after the final Top 60 was determine.

That tells me the USGA rated the England Sectional as "stronger" than either Columbus or Memphis.  And on the surface that is probably true.    I suspect a greater percentage of the England qualifier were Exempt from Local Qualifying as I can't see many local qualifiers (all in North America) going to England to sectionally qualify.

Which probably means most of the England qualifiers were ranked in the OWGR Top 500 as that is probably the main exemption from local qualifiers.

Several times I have pointed to evidence (not necessary proof) that there is an anti-PGATour bias in the OWGR rankings.  Between the Sagarin Rankings, Papers from Rendleman, numbers are clearly saying that PGAtour players are under-ranked.  That means other players, particularly EuroTour player, are over-ranked.

It doesn't show up at the top of the rankings, but more so in the rankings from 75-500 where the journeyman of both tours are ranked.

US Open Application wrote:L-20. From the current Official World Golf Rankings, the top 500 point leaders and anyone tying for 500th place as of March 6, 2017.
L-21. From the current Official World Golf Rankings, the top 500 point leaders and anyone tying for 500th place as of April 26, 2017.
L-22. Any player who had multiple finishes in the top 400 of the year-end Official  World Golf Rankings in the last five calendar years.

https://champs.usga.org/EntryForms/usopen_2017.pdf

IMO...there were too many Eurotour players exempt from Local qualifying, mainly from L20-L22, which made the WH sectional look stronger than it actually was.

Who cares what a hacker like Wheatcroft says?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 17 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

Course certainly looking more receptive today, some low scores there today so far. Reed at -7 for the day obviously stands out. Justin Thomas as well. Great golf.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next