The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

+26
profitius
Marshes
BamBam
international198
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
VinceWLB
dragon4life
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
munkian
Mrped
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
Stone Motif
marty2086
Cardiff Dave
RuggerRadge2611
PhilBB
LordDowlais
Kingshu
GavinDragon
RiscaGame
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_dragon
30 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 6 Empty Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Guest Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Too early?!  Never mind.

So, big changes are afoot at Dave Parade.  There's been loads of arguments about the best way forward, the pros and cons of regional v club rugby, and I'm sure there'll be many more to come.  But what's done is done and, for now, we have a pro team at Dave Parade to support next year.  A few weeks ago even that was in jeopardy.  So moving forward...

Ownership:
So the WRU has taken over the reigns.  I'll add updates here as and when we know them, but the formal split from Newport RFC should mean 'cleaner' or more straightforward to understand revenue streams.  

Pitch:
A new one is being laid as we speak.  This original pitch has been part and parcel of the problems at RP for a number of years.  A BBC report showed it to be up there as the most used pitch pro pitch in the UK.  Something had to be done.  A fully synthetic pitch was mooted and preferred by some, a al Blues, Saracens, Glasgow, et al.  However, FA rules state that football clubs cannot play on these surfaces (probably since the AstroTurf days of Luton Town, etc.).  So it looks like a compromise has been agreed with a 4g semi-synthetic pitch, like those used by many football clubs, Swansea City/Ospreys, Millennium Stadium, Aviva Stadium, Twickenham, Murrayfield, Cardiff City stadium, etc.  A weave of synthetic fibres and real grass meaning it's easier to maintain, less prone to weather damage, but still sort of like the real thing.  This will be a real move forward and should improve the product on the field.  A bit.

Personnel:
New coach - Huw Jackman.  Comes with a good reputation for hard work and attacking rugby.  Good stuff.
Gavin Henson - I'm happy with this.  Despite his knockers, so to speak, he is still a classy club player and performed well in the English Prem with Bristol, when not injured.  Which is the crux of the issue.  Hopefully we can keep him fit for an extended run of games.
Zane Kirchner - On paper a quality player but as with a lot of good players, when they are in the twighlight of their careers and join a 'lesser' club more often than not they do not perform as expected.  Let's hope he is an exception to the rule.  Did Jackman and Kirchner play together at Leinster?

Transfers In:

Bernard 'No Pudding' Jackman - coach
Gavin Henson
Zane Kirchner

Transfers Out:
Shaun Knight
Nick Crosswell
Tom Prydie
Geraint Rhys Jones
Darren Harris
Craig Mitchell

New Badge:

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 6 Dragon10

Last edited by Griff on Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 6 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Guest Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 pm

GavinDragon wrote:All this Gwent talk makes me feel warm and fuzzy

Haha! Funny how things go, eh? Feels like yesterday that 'Gwent' was a swear word. No it's all that people want!

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 6 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by LordDowlais Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:28 pm

Anybody on here got any news on Dorian Jones ?

There is big talk up here that he is going to sign for Merthyr.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:31 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Anybody on here got any news on Dorian Jones ?

There is big talk up here that he is going to sign for Merthyr.

Wouldn't surprise me. Since their dad left it must be difficult for them to get a look in! One has joined Scarlets I think. Dorian won't be far behind him (in leaving) I expect.

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:04 pm

Griff wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

So why is the name Gwent being used then ?

I suppose Glamorgan Cricket should change it's name as well ?

If Gwent was being used, the team would be called Gwent. The marketing baloney, contradictory and disingenuous as it is, is not really a measure of truth, is it?

Would that be the Glamorgan who have always played home games outside of Glamorgan?

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket/first-xi-fixtures.html

Erm they play about half their games a year outside of Glamorgan. Whistle

Eh?

Away games?

That's why I bolded the word home in my post he replied to.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:05 pm

Griff wrote:

Haha! Funny how things go, eh? Feels like yesterday that 'Gwent' was a swear word. No it's all that people want!

* some * people.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 pm

it's just not cricket

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Griff wrote:

In fairness Griff, I have always wanted Gwent, but saw the Dragons, which is they actual name of the team, as a compromise.

The fact that the WRU have come out and stated that we are a representative team for all 73 clubs is beyond what I was hoping for in terms of branding and message tbh.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:16 pm

PhilBB wrote:
Griff wrote:

* some * people.

I can only imagine the rush to buy season tickets will dwarf any of the previous years. That is the acid test for the 'regional' brand. Well, that and Gavin's priapism. It will be really embarrassing if no f6cker from 'Gwent' buys...but at least one person will feel warm and fuzzy.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:17 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
Griff wrote:

In fairness Griff, I have always wanted Gwent, but saw the Dragons, which is they actual name of the team, as a compromise.

The fact that the WRU have come out and stated that we are a representative team for all 73 clubs is beyond what I was hoping for in terms of branding and message tbh.

Shame they missed the part about sharing the bill 73 ways
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:16 pm

Griff wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
PhilBB wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

So why is the name Gwent being used then ?

I suppose Glamorgan Cricket should change it's name as well ?

If Gwent was being used, the team would be called Gwent. The marketing baloney, contradictory and disingenuous as it is, is not really a measure of truth, is it?

Would that be the Glamorgan who have always played home games outside of Glamorgan?

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket/first-xi-fixtures.html

Erm they play about half their games a year outside of Glamorgan. Whistle

Eh?

Away games?

Yeah trying to bring a little humour to the occasion, sorry guys

(Also should've read it better to begin).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 am

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15412199.New_look_Dragons_clock_up_the_miles_as_Jackman___s_plan_takes_shape

Loving the approach fair play. Lots of short sharp high speed sessions while we feed them up and deadlift like madmen....

Only concern is that we have the skills base to build on, fairly sure we had the same debate last year. We are talking about guys with a low talent ceiling for the most part, without disrespect.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:41 am

I like the approach. Previous coaches tried to play a forwards game without the personnel. The young players and academy graduates all stagnated - maybe Jackman is the right man to get them moving forward again?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Stone Motif wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15412199.New_look_Dragons_clock_up_the_miles_as_Jackman___s_plan_takes_shape

Loving the approach fair play. Lots of short sharp high speed sessions while we feed them up and deadlift like madmen....

Only concern is that we have the skills base to build on, fairly sure we had the same debate last year. We are talking about guys with a low talent ceiling for the most part, without disrespect.  

That is why I am not expecting massive improvements in terms of results, but hopefully with the approach and the new pitch, it might be an easiery watch at times this season.

We have a few trialists from teams which are big units. We appear to have a lad from Pooler who is a tight head and 6'5. Didn't come through the academy system. Be interesting to see if any of these types come through.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:49 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I like the approach. Previous coaches tried to play a forwards game without the personnel. The young players and academy graduates all stagnated - maybe Jackman is the right man to get them moving forward again?

Dixon is in this category for me. If he doesn't improve this season, I fear he could be moving down a level.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:11 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/15412199.New_look_Dragons_clock_up_the_miles_as_Jackman___s_plan_takes_shape

That is why I am not expecting massive improvements in terms of results, but hopefully with the approach and the new pitch, it might be an easiery watch at times this season.

We have a few trialists from teams which are big units. We appear to have a lad from Pooler who is a tight head and 6'5. Didn't come through the academy system. Be interesting to see if any of these types come through.

Yeah. Easier to watch might make you feel warm an fuzzy, me I'd prefer the W's...especially with the new owners only guaranteeing existence for three years...

Any front rowers out there want to comment on a 6'5" tight head? Sounds bloody useless to me.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 pm

GavinDragon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I like the approach. Previous coaches tried to play a forwards game without the personnel. The young players and academy graduates all stagnated - maybe Jackman is the right man to get them moving forward again?

Dixon is in this category for me. If he doesn't improve this season, I fear he could be moving down a level.

Don't agree. He was good when he was on the pitch last season.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:11 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Yeah. Easier to watch might make you feel warm an fuzzy, me I'd prefer the W's...especially with the new owners only guaranteeing existence for three years...

Any front rowers out there want to comment on a 6'5" tight head? Sounds bloody useless to me.

Ain't Rhodri Jones something like 6'2"+ doesn't bode well.

I think if the team put in some pretty loses (or tight loses) in the coming season against the bigger sides it will be seen as a movement in the right direction by the bosses, especially if there are some gritty ground out wins away to go with it.

On the subject of players needing to step it up or ending up in the semi-pros I think Jackman is the sort to give them a few weeks in the prem if they are not performing, and likewise call up lads from the semi-pros if they are going well down there. I'd honestly not be too surprised if there's a few moving up/down as the season progresses.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
GavinDragon wrote:

Ain't Rhodri Jones something like 6'2"+ doesn't bode well.

I think if the team put in some pretty loses (or tight loses) in the coming season against the bigger sides it will be seen as a movement in the right direction by the bosses, especially if there are some gritty ground out wins away to go with it.

On the subject of players needing to step it up or ending up in the semi-pros I think Jackman is the sort to give them a few weeks in the prem if they are not performing, and likewise call up lads from the semi-pros if they are going well down there.  I'd honestly not be too surprised if there's a few moving up/down as the season progresses.

That sounds regio-tastic, wonder if Newport RFC will get a few now.

We tend to drag the better teams into a sh1t fight or get bummed into orbit, it's the teams shuffling around us in the bottom half I'd be demanding improvement against. We seem to have a mental block against teams we should in theory have a better chance of picking up points from.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:18 am

6'5 sounds way too big for a prop aye.

Dixon shouldn't be 12 for me. If we are all out attack, then it's Henson at 12, or Beard. Need a distributor and not a Roberts clone.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 am

Unfortunately for Dixon a) the crash ball inside centre has gone out of fashion a bit and/or defences are very clued up on how to stop it, and b) for a Roberts clone he is tiny in comparison which makes him pretty ineffective as a crash ball player. By comparison Roberts is 6'4" and 17 stone 5lb while Dixon is (edit) 6'2". Certainly not a crash ball one." and only 14 stone 2lb. That's really not big for a modern pro centre. Certainly not a crash ball one. He's basically the same size and weight as Dan Biggar.  Fine at U20s but not now at this level. I think he needs to find a different way of playing more in line with his size relative to others at this level. Hitting gaps and distributing more rather than taking contact. Does he have the pace for that though?

Edit: sorry I was using wiki as a referred. Dragons site lists Dixon as 16st 5lbs, so that's a bit like it for his position and 'role'.

Last edited by Griff on Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:20 am

He's never been a crash baller for me, he's not explosive enough. What he is is an excellent defender and breakdown operator, in a way I'd say more like Foxy without the pace than Jaw? That extra forward in the line will always come in handy when our pack is getting torn to shreds - think the way the game is going you have your strike players on at the start and forgo impact subs for closers, in which case, a Dixon/Warren combo could be a useful pairing to bring on to finish a game. Few mistakes, strong in contact, might steal you that valuable bit of possession in the eightieth minute...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:21 am

He's not 6'4 either. Dixon is big enough for a crashball centre but as you said it's not very effective any more. Henson at 10 with Beard at 12 for me.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 am

Agree that he's a fantastic defender, Stone. I guess the issue is that a player who is both an awesome defender AND attacker is pretty rare and would be worth big £££. He would have been snapped up by someone else if he was both I suppose. Definetely need to use him correctly though. Maybe as 'finisher', like you say.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:25 am

mikey_dragon wrote:He's not 6'4 either. Dixon is big enough for a crashball centre but as you said it's not very effective any more. Henson at 10 with Beard at 12 for me.

Sorry that one was a typo! 6'2". Bloody small iPhone buttons.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:35 am

Griff wrote:Agree that he's a fantastic defender, Stone. I guess the issue is that a player who is both an awesome defender AND attacker is pretty rare and would be worth big £££. He would have been snapped up by someone else if he was both I suppose. Definetely need to use him correctly though. Maybe as 'finisher', like you say.

The player pool for Wales is too small to jettison players who aren't the complete article, let alone in our corner of it. In the national team there are only a handful who I would say could do the lot - Taulupe, obviously, Warburton, Halfpenny...mist of the better Welsh players have glaring weaknesses Biggar being a great example. It's the job of the coach to come up with a way to hide those weaknesses and pass on a plan that allows them to play to their strengths.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:21 am

He was pretty poor defensively against Leinster last season

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 am

I'm not sure where the idea of Dixon being a good defender comes from. He's very strong in contact yes, but half the time players just glide past him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:58 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I'm not sure where the idea of Dixon being a good defender comes from. He's very strong in contact yes, but half the time players just glide past him.

Thus shizzle again. Half the time he's covering Dorian Jones in the ten channel.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:I'm not sure where the idea of Dixon being a good defender comes from. He's very strong in contact yes, but half the time players just glide past him.

Thus shizzle again. Half the time he's covering Dorian Jones in the ten channel.

It's been an ominous trait of his through his pro career, regardless of whether or not he has to babysit an out of their depth 10. I've alluded to it before only for you to keep denying it so nothing has changed on either front it seems.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:20 am

Who will be playing 10 for Dragons this season ? If it one that does not need babysitting then it has to be Henson, surely.

So Henson at 12 is a non starter if this is the case.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 am

It's Angus O'Brien's shirt to lose, I'd have thought. Although I'm sure Jackman's not going to be sentimental about things. If he thinks someone's not up to it, they won't be playing (unless the alternatives are worse!).

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Any news about the captaincy yet? I've seen ads for season tickets with Lewis Evans centre stage, so I'm not hopeful of a change.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:25 pm

Henson should be at 10 with McLeod as back-up. O'Brien was a bit out of his depth most of last season but I guess that happens when you chuck a youngster into a crap team.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 pm

How is Macleod doing with his recovery? I forgot about him until just now, I assumed at his age it was a career over thing, which would've been a shame as he was looking decent before the injury (not pushing for international honours, granted, but a solid influence on the side)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:03 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Henson should be at 10 with McLeod as back-up. O'Brien was a bit out of his depth most of last season but I guess that happens when you chuck a youngster into a crap team.

I think he did well given the circumstances. But I know we don't see eye to eye on O'Brien! OK

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:06 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:How is Macleod doing with his recovery?  I forgot about him until just now, I assumed at his age it was a career over thing, which would've been a shame as he was looking decent before the injury (not pushing for international honours, granted, but a solid influence on the side)

I was underwhelmed when they announced we'd signed him, but I was really impressed by him in preseason and until he got injured - he was just always making the right decision, kicking well, 'putting us in the right areas' as they say. A steady hand on the tiller.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:11 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:Henson should be at 10 with McLeod as back-up. O'Brien was a bit out of his depth most of last season but I guess that happens when you chuck a youngster into a crap team.

I think he did well given the circumstances. But I know we don't see eye to eye on O'Brien! OK

True but I also agree he did okay given the circumstances. It remains to be seen if he can kick on. There was a lot more structure to how we played when McLeod was starting, IMO. He was less error-prone too.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

I don't remember Macleod putting a foot wrong.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 pm

Angus, Gav and Dorian have been the three playing in training. You then have Arwel Robson too.

I like Angus, but I would only play him if Gav is at 12 because he can't kick for toffee.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:28 pm

Wasn't he top points scorer in the league last season? Headscratch

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:38 pm

I meant his kicking out of his hand

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:39 pm

Okay. Well I've seen worse.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:50 pm

I think back to the Ospreys game last year where we lost the kicking battle big time.

Anguss' biggest strength is his distribution.

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 pm

GavinDragon wrote:I think back to the Ospreys game last year where we lost the kicking battle big time.

Anguss' biggest strength is his distribution.

Biggar and Davies just fielded better. Meyer was the receiver/returner most of the time as they kicked long. So, horsesh1t in other words
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:09 pm

I find Angus a better kicker out of hand than Dorian. Well probably better at every facet of play, but seeing as we are on about kicking specifically Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:51 am

Renewed my ST with the usual sense of dread and anticipation.

Also got a free Jnr one for my mate's kid. Good offer that.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:58 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I find Angus a better kicker out of hand than Dorian. Well probably better at every facet of play, but seeing as we are on about kicking specifically Wink

Actually to give him his dues I'd say tbfhtcootgvsdw (tm) was probably our best in terms of gainline threat.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:56 pm

I'm never convinced by that personally, but I know a few people say that a fair bit.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:12 pm

I think if he wasn't the coach's Son there would have been a lot less criticism of him.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:11 pm

RiscaGame wrote:I'm never convinced by that personally, but I know a few people say that a fair bit.

Probably also true that a running game is less of a requisite for an effective ten than in days of old. Gain line threat tends to be the scrum half's job these days.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next