The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

+26
profitius
Marshes
BamBam
international198
21st Century Schizoid Man
jimbopip
VinceWLB
dragon4life
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
munkian
Mrped
Luckless Pedestrian
No 7&1/2
Stone Motif
marty2086
Cardiff Dave
RuggerRadge2611
PhilBB
LordDowlais
Kingshu
GavinDragon
RiscaGame
ScarletSpiderman
mikey_dragon
30 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Guest Tue 20 Jun 2017, 7:25 am

First topic message reminder :

Too early?!  Never mind.

So, big changes are afoot at Dave Parade.  There's been loads of arguments about the best way forward, the pros and cons of regional v club rugby, and I'm sure there'll be many more to come.  But what's done is done and, for now, we have a pro team at Dave Parade to support next year.  A few weeks ago even that was in jeopardy.  So moving forward...

Ownership:
So the WRU has taken over the reigns.  I'll add updates here as and when we know them, but the formal split from Newport RFC should mean 'cleaner' or more straightforward to understand revenue streams.  

Pitch:
A new one is being laid as we speak.  This original pitch has been part and parcel of the problems at RP for a number of years.  A BBC report showed it to be up there as the most used pitch pro pitch in the UK.  Something had to be done.  A fully synthetic pitch was mooted and preferred by some, a al Blues, Saracens, Glasgow, et al.  However, FA rules state that football clubs cannot play on these surfaces (probably since the AstroTurf days of Luton Town, etc.).  So it looks like a compromise has been agreed with a 4g semi-synthetic pitch, like those used by many football clubs, Swansea City/Ospreys, Millennium Stadium, Aviva Stadium, Twickenham, Murrayfield, Cardiff City stadium, etc.  A weave of synthetic fibres and real grass meaning it's easier to maintain, less prone to weather damage, but still sort of like the real thing.  This will be a real move forward and should improve the product on the field.  A bit.

Personnel:
New coach - Huw Jackman.  Comes with a good reputation for hard work and attacking rugby.  Good stuff.
Gavin Henson - I'm happy with this.  Despite his knockers, so to speak, he is still a classy club player and performed well in the English Prem with Bristol, when not injured.  Which is the crux of the issue.  Hopefully we can keep him fit for an extended run of games.
Zane Kirchner - On paper a quality player but as with a lot of good players, when they are in the twighlight of their careers and join a 'lesser' club more often than not they do not perform as expected.  Let's hope he is an exception to the rule.  Did Jackman and Kirchner play together at Leinster?

Transfers In:

Bernard 'No Pudding' Jackman - coach
Gavin Henson
Zane Kirchner

Transfers Out:
Shaun Knight
Nick Crosswell
Tom Prydie
Geraint Rhys Jones
Darren Harris
Craig Mitchell

New Badge:

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Dragon10

Last edited by Griff on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 9:19 am; edited 4 times in total

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 6:35 am

Leon Brown played well again by the sounds of it, plus if Suter's injured, they might think we don't need him.

I don't have a problem with us signing players let go by other regions if those signings strengthen us.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian Mon 21 Aug 2017, 6:47 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Leon Brown played well again by the sounds of it, plus if Suter's injured, they might think we don't need him.

I don't have a problem with us signing players let go by other regions if those signings strengthen us.

Cudd and Hill being two good examples.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:25 am

I saw somebody say on FB the other day, that Suter could be a good prop if he had some time spent on him. He reckoned Ospreys didn't really bother bringing him on.

But I'd be happy to develop Leon Brown and Coleman from Newport anyway.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 21 Aug 2017, 7:31 am

Griff wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
jimbopip wrote:Gentlemen  of Newport...

Just a general query; I'm considering driving across from sunny Essex on Friday to watch Glasgow Warriors at Dave Parade (I assume that's where it is) any info as regards the best routes, parking near the stadium, places for grub before or after would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Park in Kingsway and head over bridge, Friars Walk is next to the car park if you want a chain eatery or the Talisman on Commercial Street if you want that authentic Newport pub experience

warning  Naughty!

Firstly, isn't this game being played in Ebbw Vale?! Eugene Cross Park? We're embracing 'regionalism' for this one! Just your luck, Jimbopip! If so, please use sat nav as its very difficult to describe from the motorway after you get to Newport. Please feed back on the journey though as its a bone of contention in the regional 'dialogue'! Secondly, if I'm wrong and it is in Newport then avoid the Talisan on Commercial street at all costs! It's our equivalent of the pub in Trainspotting with the toilet scene! Well, one of many equivalents.

It was a bookies in Trainspotting wasn't it? I did say an authentic experience didn't I?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 21 Aug 2017, 12:59 pm

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Leon Brown played well again by the sounds of it, plus if Suter's injured, they might think we don't need him.

Cudd and Hill being two good examples.

Those are two guys that I clearly rate, but most of the cast-offs that we've had from Welsh teams haven't been good. Matthew Jones, Knoyle, Sowden-Taylor spring to mind. Now we could potentially have a few more.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 22 Aug 2017, 8:52 am

New kit

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 DH1bdgMXgAAwpV0
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Aug 2017, 8:59 am

I saw that on Twitter. I don't love it, but we have had worse.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

I have a Perpignan shirt from a number of years back that is similar to that Dragons away shirt! Bright! I'm with LP - I don't love them but they're not too bad.

How come Gav has got extra baggy shorts?! Either his legs have shrunk or they didn't bring a correctly fitting pair!

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

Griff wrote:I have a Perpignan shirt from a number of years back that is similar to that Dragons away shirt!  Bright!  I'm with LP - I don't love them but they're not too bad.

How come Gav has got extra baggy shorts?!  Either his legs have shrunk or they didn't bring a correctly fitting pair!

They are props shorts but don't want a fatty advertising it Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:23 am

munkian wrote:
Griff wrote:I have a Perpignan shirt from a number of years back that is similar to that Dragons away shirt!  Bright!  I'm with LP - I don't love them but they're not too bad.

How come Gav has got extra baggy shorts?!  Either his legs have shrunk or they didn't bring a correctly fitting pair!

They are props shorts but don't want a fatty advertising it Very Happy

Haha! Yeah, good point. Lloyd Fairbrother might take some 'gloss' off the advert a little! No offence, Lloyd!

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Aug 2017, 9:27 am

That's mullet-ist!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 22 Aug 2017, 12:40 pm

The home shirt's growing on me, actually.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 22 Aug 2017, 1:51 pm

I loved the first choice shirt straight away. The change one, I am not overly keen on, but I imagine it may grow on me. Have to see it in the flesh or with somebody wearing it with say jeans, as opposed to those shorts before I lump out for it.

It's a bit of a pity that I like the black shirt, as I liked last season's one too and now I'll have to relegate that to training top or something Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 23 Aug 2017, 12:53 pm

Chris Kirwan wrote:New Dragons boss Bernard Jackman has chosen Wales lock Cory Hill as his captain for the coming season.

The 25-year-old will succeed Lewis Evans after enjoying a breakthrough season in 2016/17 in which he made his Wales debut against Australia, won six caps and was called up to cover for injuries on the Lions tour to New Zealand.

Jackman revealed last month that he was still mulling over his options and he has plumped for Hill.

"He is the outstanding leader in the group," said Jackman to the BBC at the official Guinness PRO14 launch.

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/15491193.Jackman_plumps_for_Cory_Hill_as_new_Dragons_captain/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 23 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

I'm happy with that. He's come on in leaps and bounds. Played well in the AIs debut for Wales, I.e. Didn't embarrass himself when lots felt he was not worthy of a call up. Wasn't he vice captain for the Wales Pacific island tour too? So a few coaches see him as captain material. Felt a bit sorry for him over the Lions debacle. Anyone would jump at the chance to be called up. Wasn't his fault but was unfortunately labelled as 'not worthy' and 'devaluing the jersey' simply by answering the call. Tough. Good luck to him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 24 Aug 2017, 1:31 am

I realise I might be nit picking here, but I sincerely hope that this is a warm up of some daft description, and we don't have a potential beast like Leon Brown wasting his time in the gym doing 14kg bicep curls.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/young-welsh-rugby-players-wales-13518805
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Aug 2017, 4:57 am

14 stones, Stone. Those dumbbells are 14 stone! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 24 Aug 2017, 7:41 am

Stone Motif wrote:I realise I might be nit picking here, but I sincerely hope that this is a warm up of some daft description, and we don't have a potential beast like Leon Brown wasting his time in the gym doing 14kg bicep curls.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/young-welsh-rugby-players-wales-13518805

chin

Posting WOL links now are we ? The exact same thing as you and your fellow Newport Gwent brethren always slate me for on here. Very Happy

Last edited by LordDowlais on Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Because people did not like me using Newport. Fair enough.)

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:19 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:I realise I might be nit picking here, but I sincerely hope that this is a warm up of some daft description, and we don't have a potential beast like Leon Brown wasting his time in the gym doing 14kg bicep curls.

chin

Posting WOL links now are we ? The exact same thing as you and your fellow Newport brethren always slate me for on here. Very Happy

Which Newport brethren would they be?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:35 am

Griff wrote:Which Newport brethren would they be?

mikey_dragon
risca game

To name two. They often refer to me as Andy Howell for doing it. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:39 am

LordDowlais wrote:

mikey_dragon
risca game

Excellent, I thought you'd mention Risca Game, which is why I asked! How on earth is Risca Game 'Newport Brethren'?! The clue is in his name. Risca is in Caerphilly FFS!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

mikey_dragon
risca game

Excellent, I thought you'd mention Risca Game, which is why I asked! How on earth is Risca Game 'Newport Brethren'?! The clue is in his name. Risca is in Caerphilly FFS!

New season incoming and the court jester is back. Rolling Eyes

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:52 am

Why this persistence with Harris at LH? Benjamin at 8 is also an odd call, and I didn't think he was big enough for flanker at this level.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

Strong(ish) looking Glasgow Warriors team for tomorrow :-

Starting 15 -
Jackson
Jones
Grigg
Johnson
Hughes
Hastings
G. Horne
Ashe - Fusaro - Wynne
Big Brian - Cummings
Bhatti - Malcolm - Rae

Some heavy hitters as replacements too

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 24 Aug 2017, 8:56 am

Also Greggains is in the squad for Glasgow. I don't know much about him except that he was highly rated in the recent U18 tour of SA.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 24 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

Griff wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

mikey_dragon
risca game

I know where Risca is thanks. OK

I refer to it as Newport as that is where the team supported is from. OK

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 24 Aug 2017, 9:29 am

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Strong(ish) looking Glasgow Warriors team for tomorrow :-

Starting 15 -
Jackson
Jones
Grigg
Johnson
Hughes
Hastings
G. Horne
Ashe - Fusaro - Wynne
Big Brian - Cummings
Bhatti - Malcolm - Rae

Looks weak...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:21 am

Ah Munkians, I look forward to your post match apologies comments. Whistle

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:33 am

I am a bit disappointed with you Stone, posting WOL links. At least you don't take it as gospel though, unlike some.

Good back line for us. I've seen Benjamin play 8 for us in Europe and maybe some other games off the bench and he is pretty dynamic off the base of the scrum. I don't agree with Harris at 1, but seeing as it seems to be becoming frequent now perhaps he is the stop gap until Sam Hobbs is fit.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:53 am

It's quite a strong-looking team, and it's interesting to see Benjamin back in the mix. He was out of favour for a while but fair play to Jackman, he's been true to his word and started with a clean slate.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 24 Aug 2017, 10:55 am

Seeing as it hasn't been posted:

Dragons: Z Kirchner, A Hewitt, T Morgan, S Beard, H Amos, A O’Brien, S Pretorius, B Harris, E Dee, L Brown, M Screech, A Sweet, J Thomas (captain), O Griffiths, J Benjamin.

Replacements: R Buckley, T Davies, L Fairbrother, L Greggains, N Cudd, C Davies, D Jones, A Warren, A Hughes, J Rosser, P Howard.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:12 am

RiscaGame wrote:I am a bit disappointed with you Stone, posting WOL links. At least you don't take it as gospel though, unlike some.

Good back line for us. I've seen Benjamin play 8 for us in Europe and maybe some other games off the bench and he is pretty dynamic off the base of the scrum. I don't agree with Harris at 1, but seeing as it seems to be becoming frequent now perhaps he is the stop gap until Sam Hobbs is fit.

Sorry, I'll go back to Risca now (not Newport) to my gaff and chastise myself for my lack of ambition
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:35 am

Stone Motif wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:I am a bit disappointed with you Stone, posting WOL links. At least you don't take it as gospel though, unlike some.

Sorry, I'll go back to Risca now (not Newport) to my gaff and chastise myself for my lack of ambition

laughing

Technically speaking, aren't Dragons from Gwent, not just Newport? Surprised that nobody filled him in!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Fri 25 Aug 2017, 4:42 am

munkian wrote:New kit

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 DH1bdgMXgAAwpV0

"sinister-dexter-sinister-dexter.............". Meh!

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:26 am

Sounds like our defence is letting us down again Sad

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:32 am

munkian wrote:
21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Strong(ish) looking Glasgow Warriors team for tomorrow :-

Starting 15 -
Jackson
Jones
Grigg
Johnson
Hughes
Hastings
G. Horne
Ashe - Fusaro - Wynne
Big Brian - Cummings
Bhatti - Malcolm - Rae

Looks weak...

Ah, munkian I apologise; when you said "Looks weak" I thought you were referring to the Glasgow team. laughing laughing laughing

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:36 am

We've gone from 16-14 up to 40-16 down.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:38 am

It's possibly the worst pre-season we've ever had. Jackman and the others certainly have their work cut out.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:46 am

On the other hand, at least there are no league points at stake in these games! Shocked

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 25 Aug 2017, 10:49 am

Full-time: Dragons 23 Glasgow 40

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 25 Aug 2017, 11:41 am

As I've said, we beat Northampton a few seasons ago and then started with a stinker of a run in the league. It'll take Jackman more than a pre-season to stop the rot.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Tue 29 Aug 2017, 2:52 am

RiscaGame wrote:As I've said, we beat Northampton a few seasons ago and then started with a stinker of a run in the league. It'll take Jackman more than a pre-season to stop the rot.

Yupp
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 29 Aug 2017, 4:08 am

I expect it'll take a long time to stop the rot, and a few more signings unless the academy boys can step up.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:06 am

In a move that'll make Mikey's day, we have given Dan Suter a contract.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:16 am

RiscaGame wrote:In a move that'll make Mikey's day, we have given Dan Suter a contract.

Cheers.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:57 am

It's okay Mikey, he won't be playing for a while.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

I think Jackman is going to have a positive impact but he can't exactly work miracles....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:16 am

Anyway I should be there for the first game of the season, it could be the last match I attend in a very long time as I'm moving to the other side of the world. And you thought Suter's move was big news....

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

You're not moving to Bristol and exaggerating, are you? Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:24 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:You're not moving to Bristol and exaggerating, are you? Wink

You mean back to Bristol? And no sadly, although I would like to live there again. Many fond memories and friends there. I'm going to Canada Yahoo

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next