The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

+12
Born Slippy
hawkeye
Henman Bill
Nadalnation
JuliusHMarx
alfie
Haddie-nuff
barrystar
chris_501
Guest82
temporary21
sirfredperry
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine - Page 2 Empty Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by sirfredperry Fri 23 Jun 2017, 5:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

GB player Dan Evans has failed a drugs test for cocaine. Just given press conference where he apologises. Presumably faces a lengthy ban now. Pretty awful news.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine - Page 2 Empty Re: Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:24 pm

I would hope the ban is less than Sharapova's. She took a performance enhancer (claiming a lack of knowledge of the rule change, I think) whereas Evans did not. There was no attempt by Evans to cheat.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine - Page 2 Empty Re: Dan Evans fails drugs test for cocaine

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:28 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I would hope the ban is less than Sharapova's. She took a performance enhancer (claiming a lack of knowledge of the rule change, I think) whereas Evans did not. There was no attempt by Evans to cheat.

In view of the article that HE posted I don't agree.. yep hard and fast me JHM... he deserves the penalty he gets he knew exactly what he was doing. warning When it comes to sport any hint of drugs is a no no imo

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:35 pm

I agree with Haddie - nuff.  He was found to have a stimulant in his system above the acceptable threshold during a busy period of the competitive season.  It is on the banned list because it is a stimulant not because it is a recreational drug.  We don't know the exact details, except that it was found in his system.  Presumably there will be some sort of meeting where the length of the ban will be decided according to fixed regulations for such an infraction minus any mitigation.

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:42 pm

Not dan in particular

I just don't like judging people I don't know the way I used to. I don't feel like I know him enough to tut tut at him like I'd be any better in his shoes 

Maybe if that life wasn't for me I'd be tempted too 

Dan earned where he got to, and it was his to take away. If others want that chance bad then they can go and earn it

I'll reiterate. Hope he can sort himself out. I'd want that for anybody

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jun 2017, 5:55 pm

Although Dan Evans will be the one that will be punished - it impacts on all those Dan Evans employed full-time and part-time (coaches , nutritionists etc). Presumably any LTA privileges will be removed also (medical support etc). It also impacts on Leon Smith as the coach of the British Davis team. I am not passing judgement on Dan Evans - just trying to assess the impact of a ban on others.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:07 pm

No name Bertie wrote:I agree with Haddie - nuff.  He was found to have a stimulant in his system above the acceptable threshold during a busy period of the competitive season.  It is on the banned list because it is a stimulant not because it is a recreational drug.  We don't know the exact details, except that it was found in his system.  Presumably there will be some sort of meeting where the length of the ban will be decided according to fixed regulations for such an infraction minus any mitigation.

If you research it, you'll see that it is not viewed as a stimulant, except for up to 15 minutes after taking it i.e. taking it just before match, to help during the warm-up and the first game or two. Then the negative effects far outweigh the positive.

For example -
https://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsandsports/coca.html

"Cocaine is notable for distorting the user's perception of reality; for example, an athlete may perceive increased performance and decreased fatigue in the face of actual decreased performance in both strength and endurance activities. An increase in heat production combined with a decrease in heat loss associated with cocaine abuse impairs the body's ability to regulate its temperature during physical activity.". Hardly seems useful to a tennis player seeking an advantage.

"Cocaine is universally banned in both professional and amateur sports primarily to protect the health of the athlete and the reputation of the sport" i.e. not because it is a stimulant.

So yes, he was stupid and yes he deserves to be punished, but more than someone who set out to cheat? Not in my opinion.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:18 pm

We will find out soon enough what the punishment will be. Not sure how long Gasquet's ban was - which included mitigation. I suppose Dan Evans will serve out his ban coaching in Britain or abroad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:30 pm

JHM I think you miss the point.  It is irrelevant as to why he took the drug.. doubtless it was not to give him an advantage in his sport.  it is that he took it at all is my point.  I reiterate what I said earlier what if either Federer or Nadal had been found to be using cocaine for recreational or other use.. WHAT sort of image is this giving the sport the two most revered players of our time and they are using drugs.. would you honestly, and I mean honestly, have any respect for either of them.. personally I would be horrified, disillusioned and disappointed and I think I can suggest that is what their fans would think also.  It cannot be seen to be permitted for whatever reason, either to cheat or to demean the sport .. he is a grown man, he made the choice .. it would be no different in many other professions he could have chosen.. sadly for me it was tennis. He pays the penalty whatever it is

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 6:50 pm

I don't think I've disagreed fundamentally with any of that H-N. But it would be odd if the sport gave him a longer ban than the one given to Sharapova.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:18 pm

I think it was a year for Gasquet wasn't it? if you chose to believe his "reason"
What bothers me JHM is how this is viewed by the ranks of the younger generation, from which we are desperately looking for another great champion. If it is not viewed with a "no tolerance" by the LTF then when and where do we draw the line. As I say I'm sad for him.. but I'm more sad for the sake of tennis.. particularly British Tennis ..God knows the country could do with something or someone to lift it from the doldrums at the moment

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:40 pm

Well there is Andy Murray. Or Kyle Edmund. 
Or Jeremy Corbin Whistle

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon 26 Jun 2017, 7:57 pm

Good discussion and good points all. Great share Hawkeye on the Bleacher report article. However, the article is very thin and not very convincing. The article references coke users having a increasing sense of energy and alertness and a feeling of supremacy. [Highlights by me, not in the article.] They may think they are performing better, but that doesn't mean they are.

I may also feel like I can putting in a superb peformance on the karaoke after ten pints, but that doesn't mean I actually am.

Where is the evidence that cocaine leads to better performance. I don't see it. If I see it, I might change my views.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:44 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Good discussion and good points all. Great share Hawkeye on the Bleacher report article. However, the article is very thin and not very convincing. The article references coke users having a increasing sense of energy and alertness and a feeling of supremacy. [Highlights by me, not in the article.] They may think they are performing better, but that doesn't mean they are.

I may also feel like I can putting in a superb peformance on the karaoke after ten pints, but that doesn't mean I actually am.

Where is the evidence that cocaine leads to better performance. I don't see it. If I see it, I might change my views.

Evidence is to the contrary. See my link above or e.g.
http://aforeverrecovery.com/blog/drugs/is-cocaine-used-as-a-performance-enhancer-by-athletes/

http://www.athletesrecovery.com/addiction/cocaine/

From the latter - "Due to the short lasting effects of cocaine, many times an athlete with have to use the drug multiple times throughout a game." I don't see how that would be possible during a tennis match without obvious detection, and as stated previously a player would literally have to take some just before walking on court to even hope to have an effect beyond the warm-up.

It can be detected in urine samples up to five days afterwards (longer with prolonged use I think).

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:44 pm

I don't think we'll get evidence 

That would require someone okaying a study that cokes up participants

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by temporary21 Mon 26 Jun 2017, 8:46 pm

In any case. With such a mistake, knowing it's banned I think you just have to suck it up and take the ban. You've no real leg to stand on.

And tbf to dan that's exactly what he's done

temporary21

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:10 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:I would hope the ban is less than Sharapova's. She took a performance enhancer (claiming a lack of knowledge of the rule change, I think) whereas Evans did not. There was no attempt by Evans to cheat.

There were mitigating circumstances that meant Sharapova's ban was reduced. It was judged that she did not intentionally take a banned substance. Unless Evans can prove that he took cocaine unintentionally then I would expect his ban to be considerably longer than Sharapova's because it would mean that unlike Sharapova Evans did intentionally cheat.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon 26 Jun 2017, 10:33 pm

hawkeye wrote:

There were mitigating circumstances that meant Sharapova's ban was reduced. It was judged that she did not intentionally take a banned substance. Unless Evans can prove that he took cocaine unintentionally then I would expect his ban to be considerably longer than Sharapova's because it would mean that unlike Sharapova Evans did intentionally cheat.

He didn't intentionally cheat because, if his story is true, he didn't take anything that could enhance his performance.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Tue 27 Jun 2017, 8:18 am

http://www.michaelshouse.com/blog/athletes-may-use-cocaine-to-gain-an-edge-in-their-sport/

Please note this paragraph

In the modern age, cocaine may not be the drug that pops to mind when one thinks of performance-enhancing drugs, but some athletes mistakenly use it for just that purpose. For that reason, the drug is banned in both professional and amateur sports in order to safeguard the health of the athlete and the integrity of the sport.

Hence the policing by the LTA which some of you are criticising them for. They are right to ban him if he wants to harm his own body then that's his choice but not the sport.

Imagine Nadal snorting coke in the dressing room before a match .. shock horror Shocked

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Tue 27 Jun 2017, 9:50 am

I think it seems that Evans will get a two year ban, which is longer than Sharapova's. I think the thing that leaves a bad taste is that although Sharapova may have 'forgot' to stop taking it when she found out it was banned, she didn't need to take it anyway and was very likely seeking to gain an advantage.

Evans appears to have been a silly boy, but i don't think anyone really thinks he was seeking to gain an advantage.

Of course Evans won't have the same resources to fight his case as Sharapova and Evans is less commercially valuable to tennis.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Tue 27 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

I tend to agree with those who think that on current evidence Sharapova's bust looked worthy of a longer punishment than Evans's since there was a more obvious inference of a desire to enhance performance.

We'll have to see what details emerge - but in one sense Evans's case is more clear-cut against him if he knowingly took cocaine, because whatever the argument about its performance enhancing qualities, he knowingly took something he was not allowed to take. Also, he almost certainly knew that since cocaine is only obtainable illegally, its purity cannot be guaranteed - when sitting down in the drug tester's tent they don't want to hear that you are OK because the last thing you took was 'great sh1t' and your mate assured you that the pusher was kosher.

All that said, I think punishments are headed in a tough direction for Evans: Hingis got 2 years in 2007 for a tiny trace, Wilander got 3 months in 1995.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jun 2017, 2:39 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

He didn't intentionally cheat because, if his story is true, he didn't take anything that could enhance his performance.
Dan Evans intentionally took a banned stimulant during a period he would be expected to be tested - during a heavy period of competition and preparation for such competitions.  Because he knowingly took the banned stimulant, and because he knew of the consequences of having such a banned stimulant found in his system, if drug tested, then there can be no mitigation.  Unless some sort of behind the scenes deal is done.  

No-one has to use the inflammatory word of "cheat" in the discussion - but I think "intentional use of a banned stimulant" is fair - and is what he is going to be punished for.  Whether the intention was for recreational purposes or for gaining a competitive advantage is neither here nor there - although maybe I am wrong - maybe that will be something discussed, and maybe it will be a material factor in deciding the length of the ban e.g. one year rather than two years or longer.  

I don't know how the duration of the ban is worked out.  Maybe there is a minimum (unmitigated) ban for intentional use of a stimulant then some flexibility to extend that dependent on whether it was for the purpose of cheating (intention to gain a competitive advantage) or some other purpose (recreational, medicinal ... )  and if it was a first offence or second offence etc. 

In the Gasquet case - his claim was that he never intentionally took cocaine - and it seems the committee accepted his account - and added mitigating circumstances to reduce but not eliminate his ban.

If you want to argue that cocaine is not a stimulant, or an effective stimulant - then you need to take that argument to WADA, which lists cocaine as a stimulant, and bans the use of cocaine for its stimulant properties.

ps: The likely outcome is a ban for having a proscribed stimulant found in his system.  There will probably be a statement that says they accept Dan Evans statement that he took it for recreational purposes and not to cheat.  So I think it is certain Dan Evans will NOT be labelled a cheat by the ITF - and I DON'T think we can justly label Dan Evans a cheat.

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:44 pm

No name Bertie wrote:  There will probably be a statement that says they accept Dan Evans statement that he took it for recreational purposes and not to cheat.  So I think it is certain Dan Evans will NOT be labelled a cheat by the ITF - and I DON'T think we can justly label Dan Evans a cheat.

Has Evans made a statement that he took cocaine for recreational purposes? I haven't seen anything reported. But even if he has I'm struggling to see how that would affect how his case is judged. Evans will have known that cocaine is banned and that WADA view it as a stimulant. WADA would not be able to reduce the penalty on an athlete taking a banned substance because they claimed they just took it for fun. That would be ridiculous! You only have to imagine what kind of precedent it would set.

I don't think the ITF throw about emotive labels like "cheat" but he is guilty of taking a drug on WADA's banned list. Is that cheating?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Tue 27 Jun 2017, 3:55 pm

hawkeye wrote:I don't think the ITF throw about emotive labels like "cheat" but he is guilty of taking a drug on WADA's banned list. Is that cheating?
Breaking the rules, not cheating IMO. Only the nutjobs think that it's for a performance advantage. I'm definitely in the camp that think the abuse of TUE's is worse, in a sporting context at least.

It's banned because it's illegal, otherwise they'd ban stimulants like caffeine or nicotine.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:04 pm

I think Evans admits to taking cocaine, but doesn't admit to cheating.

I think the way the ban works is that there is a standard ban length for having a stimulant within the system (human body). That standard ban length can be reduced through mitigation (e.g. unintentionally took the stimulant) or that standard length can be extended (dependent on purpose, the amount in the body, first - second offence, cooperation with the authorities).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:11 pm

A google search reveals Dan Evans was drugs tested on 24th April 2017 and failed the drugs test.  He was drugs tested as part of his participation in the ATP 500 Barcelona event.  So it was an in-competition test. He had arrived at Barcelona following his participation at the ATP Masters event in Monte Carlo.

His schedule was:
16 - 23 Apr 2017 ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Monte Carlo
24 - 30 Apr 2017 ATP 500 Barcelona.

Last edited by No name Bertie on Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Jun 2017, 4:13 pm

Further Information:
The sample was analysed by a WADA accredited laboratory in Montreal, Canada, and was found to contain cocaine and its metabolite.  Cocaine is a Non-Specified substance prohibited under category S6 of the 2017 WADA Prohibited List (stimulants), and therefore is also prohibited under the TADP.

In accordance with Article 2.1 of the TADP, Mr Evans was charged on 16 June with an Anti-Doping Rule Violation.

Mr Evans has accepted the finding of cocaine in his sample collected on 24 April.

As positive tests for Non-Specified Substances carry a mandatory Provisional Suspension, Mr Evans will be provisionally suspended with effect from 26 June, under Article 8.3.1(c) of the 2017 TADP, pending determination of the case.

The Tennis Anti-Doping Programme is a comprehensive and internationally recognised drug-testing programme that applies to all players competing at Grand Slam tournaments and events sanctioned by the ITF, ATP, and WTA. Players are tested for substances prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and, upon a finding that an Anti-Doping Rule Violation has been committed, sanctions are imposed in accordance with the requirements of the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme and World Anti-Doping Code. More background information on the Programme, sanctions, tennis statistics and related information can be found at www.itftennis.com/antidoping

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Wed 28 Jun 2017, 1:06 pm

One of life's golden rules - the minute somebody in the public eye is addressed as Mr. (Mrs. Ms. or Miss) they are in a whole heap of trouble.
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 03 Oct 2017, 4:55 pm

Dan Evans: British tennis player banned for one year for positive cocaine test

http://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/41489907

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:01 pm

I think it is a bit off that he gets 12 months and Sharapova 15, although of course the latter was reduced at a later point so we don't yet know if Evans also will be, but for the time being it looks harsh.

As I said before I would advocate for a much shorter or even zero ban from the tennis authorities for what I see as a recreational drug (I appreciate not all of us agree on the fact that cocaine is not performance enhancing) and that he should have been punished by the police instead.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:10 pm

Seems a sensible rational judgement. A year does seem harsh, but I wouldn't be appealing- after all it was an illegal drug

Who knows, this might be the making of him - given the dolly mixture event that this years US Open was, he'd have a great chance of going deep

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mochyn du Tue 03 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

Guest wrote:Dan Evans has a history of not fully committing to tennis.  As John Lloyd mentioned today on the BBC he has been given chance over chance and it is a shame when he is playing his best tennis - in fact realising the potential many believed he had, if only he committed more.  The biggest impact is going to be on the British Davis Cup team - with Bedene not allowed to represent Britain - despite him having British citizenship.  Bedene says he might switch back to Slovenia - because his dream is to play in the Olympics.  Dan Evans has waded into the issue by saying that Bedene is a plastic Brit and shouldn't be considered British.

From what I've seen of Evans he wouldn't be much cop even if he was 110% committed. As for his ten pennies worth on Aljaz Bedene it was very bad form of him to say what he did. He's a small timer who should keep his thoughts to himself. Leave the controversy to players who've achieved enough to get away with it!

Mochyn du

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2