The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa - test series thread

+33
Hibbz
Jetty
LionsV2
NickisBHAFC
GSC
eirebilly
compelling and rich
VTR
LondonTiger
CaledonianCraig
kingraf
Galted
Mad for Chelsea
LivinginItaly
Dolphin Ziggler
sirfredperry
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
dummy_half
wisden
Mat
KP_fan
JDizzle
Nathaniel Jacobs
msp83
king_carlos
jimbohammers
guildfordbat
Corporalhumblebucket
James100
alfie
Hammersmith harrier
Gooseberry
Good Golly I'm Olly
37 posters

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next

Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 16 Empty England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 26 Jun 2017, 11:44 am

First topic message reminder :

In the fast paced nature of international cricket, we are just over a week away from the first of four test matches between SA and England - should be a good one.

South Africa have named their squad...missing some big names in Steyn, ABDV - also no Dane Piedt, Stephen Cook either.

South Africa squad: Faf du Plessis (captain), Hashim Amla, Temba Bavuma, Theunis de Bruyn, Quinton de Kock, JP Duminy, Dean Elgar, Heino Kuhn, Keshav Maharaj, Aiden Markram, Morne Morkel, Chris Morris, Duanne Olivier, Andile Phehlukwayo, Vernon Philander, Kagiso Rabada.

Still a very strong team - especially in the seam bowling ranks. Although with Faf missing the first test, the batting is reliant on Amla and De Kock I feel

England have a few injury concerns - particularly Stuart Broad - any thoughts on the SA squad, and potential England one?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 16 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 2:07 pm

Not much happening for the bowlers now : movement seems to have vanished with the sandwiches...
That was always possible as the pitch continued to dry out. Probably why England were keen to score fast and get bowling this morning. Might have hoped for a little helpful spell after lunch but not to be ...so it will be hard work and pressure now.

Perhaps TRJ will have some more magic...

alfie

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - test series thread - Page 16 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - test series thread

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 2:14 pm

Amla gone
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 05 Aug 2017, 2:14 pm

Ha ...TRJ indeed works his magic

Amla - rapidly becoming his "bunny" - glances a leg side loose delivery to Bairstow !

Bonus wicket.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat 05 Aug 2017, 2:54 pm

Has Raf been around?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:33 pm

Excellent job by Bavuma and Du Plessis to steady the South Africans. Easier batting conditions but England have not really offered that much.

As I type, Jimmy gets Bavuma Very Happy
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Very Happy

2 in one over clap
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

England just need to keep nibbling away here as South Africa lose their fourth wicket. Key end to the day now. If this pair can make it through to close then South Africa will be up to around 200 and feel right in it. However, if England take another wicket....

EDIT And there is another wicket. Anderson bowls Du Plessis. England take control.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:45 pm

Chances being shelled in quick succession.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:46 pm

Two fairly tough chances though CC.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:48 pm

eirebilly wrote:Two fairly tough chances though CC.

Indeed and you get the feeling, at the moment, another one will be around soon.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:50 pm

England bowlers are well on top here, Jimmy is getting a lot of movement. I would almost be tempted to take off Ali and bring on TRJ.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:54 pm

eirebilly wrote:England bowlers are well on top here, Jimmy is getting a lot of movement. I would almost be tempted to take off Ali and bring on TRJ.

Hmm...no I'd keep Ali on. He is tying one end down and creating the odd chance and it keeps the pace bowlers fresh.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 4:55 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
eirebilly wrote:England bowlers are well on top here, Jimmy is getting a lot of movement. I would almost be tempted to take off Ali and bring on TRJ.

Hmm...no I'd keep Ali on. He is tying one end down and creating the odd chance and it keeps the pace bowlers fresh.

Give him a few more but with that wind out there, there is a lot of movement to be had and I think TRJ is the next best to Jimmy to exploit that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:03 pm

Jimmy again. 6 down now and England may look to finish them off today with a 150+ lead thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

eirebilly wrote:Jimmy again. 6 down now and England may look to finish them off today with a 150+ lead thumbsup

This is almost a carbon copy of how it went at The Oval. England batting first and tail wagging to reach a decent score then South Africa collapsing in their first innings surrendering a lead of 150+.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:25 pm

Another tough chance missed. Like to see Bairstow played just for his batting and a wk-batsman bought in. We're playing too many players who can't bat at Test level and pushing those who can too far down the order.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:29 pm

England a little bit average in the field today
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:34 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Another tough chance missed. Like to see Bairstow played just for his batting and a wk-batsman bought in. We're playing too many players who can't bat at Test level and pushing those who can too far down the order.

Not sure what that's achieving?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

7 down now as Ali strikes.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

England look set to take a lead of 100+ into the second innings.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:55 pm

LionsV2 wrote:
sirfredperry wrote:Another tough chance missed. Like to see Bairstow played just for his batting and a wk-batsman bought in. We're playing too many players who can't bat at Test level and pushing those who can too far down the order.

Well it's strengthening the batting and improving the wicketkeeping.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 5:58 pm

sirfredperry wrote:
LionsV2 wrote:

Don't think that Bairstow has been bad behind the stumps. Who would you bring in as wicket keeper, the unreliable (at test level) Buttler?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 05 Aug 2017, 6:01 pm

Foakes? If only to have Foakes, Woakes and Stokes in the same side?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 6:03 pm

I would have to say that Bairstow would have to be an absolutely dire keeper to be replaced now.

His keeping has been very good to excellent and his batting at 7 has been outstanding. Not sure swapping him for another keeper moving him up the order (where he does not have a great record) is an option myself.

Another wicket, 8 down.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 05 Aug 2017, 6:06 pm

No wickett-keeper is infallible behind the stumps and for me Bairstow is the man for the job. South Africa on the ropes on 189 for 8 and at this rate could be nowled out tonight still 150+ runs behind.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 6:22 pm

sirfredperry wrote:
LionsV2 wrote:

I don't see how it's improving the batting which is the bigger problem.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sat 05 Aug 2017, 7:18 pm

Eng may have dropped a few today but Stokes's effort at the end was excellent.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 05 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

LionsV2 wrote:You have to give the recognised batsmen a chance to accumulate runs at the other end, it just highlights that Bayliss needs to go.

Lol @ the state of this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sat 05 Aug 2017, 7:50 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
LionsV2 wrote:You have to give the recognised batsmen a chance to accumulate runs at the other end, it just highlights that Bayliss needs to go.

Lol @ the state of this

What's wrong with it or do you think a coach that doesn't watch the players or have a clue about test cricket is a good thing?

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:17 am

That's it then, a very good lead for England going into the second innings
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:24 am

LionsV2 wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

Lol @ the state of this

What's wrong with it or do you think a coach that doesn't watch the players or have a clue about test cricket is a good thing?

Because the main job of a "coach" is to watch and select the players...oh no wait we have "selectors" for that laughing

Clearly also has a clue about test cricket. A lot more than everyone here I'd say too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:46 am

The coach as well as the captain are usually part of the selection process, obviously not with Bayliss because he's clueless.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:50 am

Cook gone, Morkel and Rabada have bowled well.

Jennings dropped by Elgar previous over, I am actually surprised that Elgar didn't claim that catch and send it for review Run
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

Warne starting declaration speculation in the 5th over of the 3rd innings. God he's an awful commentator. England should literally bat until tea on Tuesday if they can!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:01 pm

I have come to the conclusion that Warne must be paid by the word and not by the day. The amount he talks is seriously annoying.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:04 pm

eirebilly wrote:I have come to the conclusion that Warne must be paid by the word and not by the day. The amount he talks is seriously annoying.

He is great in the pre match zone - talking about leg spin I could listen all day. He should stop at that!

In other news Hameed is out for 6 (39) today for Lancs against Hampshire.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm

Not going too well for England, Morkel looks up for a big spell today.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:28 pm

How could you even consider to review that, absolutely shocking from SA.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonofSurrey Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:37 pm

Ben Foakes has been consistently the best w/k on the country for a while now. He's also made good runs for the Lions. So how about the following for 1st Adhes Test:

Cook
??Stoneman/AN Othe
Westley
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Ali
Foakes (wkt)
Woakes
Broad/TRJ
Anderson

5 frontline bowling options, a genuine w/k batsman and good batting down to 9. What's not to like?

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

Why move Bairstow up the order to accommodate Foakes? Bairstow has not been successful up the order so I feel it would be a mistake. His wicket keeping has also been very good so also no need to replace him for that.

As it is, Bairstow is the best option as wicket keeper and 7. There may be an issue with batters further up the order but look to replace them with actual batters and not look to Bairstow.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:24 pm

Lead nearly at 200 with 8 wickets left - England in complete command here, pitch is already got uneven bounce and spin, I think a lead of 250 would be enough but with it only being day 3 England can just bat on and on and on!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:39 pm

Why would we be replacing Bairstow behind the stumps anyway
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:42 pm

GSC wrote:Why would we be replacing Bairstow behind the stumps anyway

Exactly, he has been one of the players of this series and is a well proven test player. He has hardly been poor behind the stumps, he has actually been very very good.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

Ooohhh Jennings, that was very poor and a very soft dismissal again...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:53 pm

Think that'll be the last we see of Jennings this summer - surely Stoneman to come in now? (As much as I'd love Hameed, the kid is averaging 18 without even a half century this summer, I don't think it'd be fair to bring him in at the moment)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Yep. Hameed if he puts together some form before the WIndies tests, otherwise Stoneman for me

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 1:56 pm

Jennings has simply looked out of his depth at this level. I have to agree with Warne that he bogs himself down, a few more singles and rotation of the strike and his confidence will build. It just does not seem to be in him though.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

Very poor from England. 4 down now.

SA could realistically bowl England out for under 150 needing two days to get around 275. Root and Stokes must steady the ship here now.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 06 Aug 2017, 2:24 pm

England struggling here - thank heavens for the substantial lead !
Whenever Cook goes early I worry.

Still SFA from the new , on trial , batsmen... Westley has to continue but I think times up for Jennings and I fear Malan just doesn't look up to it - though I admit conditions have given him a very tough introduction.
I just hope they don't decide to give up on finding batsmen and start messing Bairstow and Moeen around up the order again...whoever they end up with they will need deep batting in Australia so the last thing they should contemplate is undoing the part of the batting order that is consistently productive.

Lead of 221 now ; but they won't want to lose any more cheap wickets...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 06 Aug 2017, 2:28 pm

Afternoon alfie, England are in a bit of bother here as the SA bowlers are on top. Luckily England do bat deep and I feel on this pitch and these conditions, 300 will be a very defendable lead.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next