The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

+88
Poorfour
Gwlad
Fanster
majesticimperialman
wolfball
exile jack
catchweight
Anglobraveheart
nathan
Hazel Sapling
westisbest
Northgrill
David-Douglas
LeinsterFan4life
milkyboy
Good Golly I'm Olly
Sgt_Pooly
Maine man
whocares
alfie
TheMildlyFranticLlama
alive555
Exiledinborders
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
nlpnlp
lostinwales
sensisball
RiscaGame
Not grey and not a ghost
zombiesurvivalman
fa0019
The Great Aukster
Cyril
emack2
Kingshu
Recwatcher16
Rugby Fan
SamTheQuin
Hoonercat
No9
beshocked
chris_501
Pete330v2
marty2086
rodders
Hood83
LordDowlais
Rory_Gallagher
englandglory4ever
cb
screamingaddabs
WELL-PAST-IT
RDW
Hammersmith harrier
eirebilly
kingelderfield
compelling and rich
Ozzy3213
Engine#4
wayne
carpet baboon
TJ
R!skysports
Mad for Chelsea
Dragon1908
yappysnap
Luckless Pedestrian
GunsGermsV2
geoff999rugby
BamBam
mid_gen
Scottrf
cascough
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
Comfort
LondonTiger
EST
Breadvan
robbo277
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
No 7&1/2
RuggerRadge2611
ebop
Gooseberry
George Carlin
92 posters

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next

Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Empty NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by George Carlin Wed 28 Jun 2017, 7:45 am

First topic message reminder :

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 All_bl10                   NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Lions_12
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS  
1 July 2017
KO: 19:35 NZST (8.35am BST)
WESTPAC Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington

Live on Sky Sports HD

Referee: Jérôme Garcès (France)
ARs: [tbc]
TMO: [tbc]

A. Head to Head

39 Played 39
30 Won 6
3 Drawn 3
6 Lost 30
664 Points 360

B. Recent Form

24 June 2017
Eden Park, Auckland
30 – 15 to New Zealand

9 July 2005 
Eden Park, Auckland 
38 – 19 to New Zealand 

2 July 2005 
Westpac Stadium, Wellington 
48 – 18 to New Zealand

25 June 2005 
Lancaster Park, Christchurch 
21 – 3 to New Zealand

3 July 1993 
Eden Park, Auckland 
30 – 13 to New Zealand 

26 June 1993 
Athletic Park, Wellington 
7 – 20 to British & Irish Lions

12 June 1993 
20 – 18 to New Zealand

16 July 1983 
Eden Park, Auckland 
38 – 6 to New Zealand

2 July 1983 
Carisbrook, Dunedin 
15 – 8 to New Zealand

18 June 1983 
Athletic Park (Wellington), Wellington 
9 – 0 to New Zealand

4 June 1983 
16 – 12 to New Zealand

C. TEAMS:

NEW ZEALAND
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Kirean10
[tbc]

BRITISH & IRISH LIONS  
NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Muppet10
[tbc]
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Empty Re: NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

Watching Faletaus try again, Lauampes tackle on Williams didn't seem to be the most legitmate seemed like a bit of a chop to the knee

marty2086

Back to top Go down

NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July - Page 13 Empty Re: NEW ZEALAND v BRITISH & IRISH LIONS, 1 July

Post by Scottrf Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

marty2086 wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Joke pen tbh, jumping in tackles in midfield. Made for a good decider though.

Hardly a joke, the ball was high so needed to jump to catch it, on reply it was clear Faumuina committed after he jumped so was plenty of potential for a yellow to be given

I dont agree with it for midfield play. Throw a flat high pass and you make a clean break because nobody can tackle.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

Wow, just saw a Lions fan in the crowd crying with happiness. That's pretty cool that it meant that much to him.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by David-Douglas Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:43 am

Some perspective required - good result but it was 15 v 14 for 55 minutes and the Lions only scraped a 3 point win.

David-Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:44 am

eirebilly wrote:Who was man of the match? For me the standout player for the Lions was SOB.

Was probably the Lions best player last week too, looking close to his best again

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:45 am

Well hopefully that result will zip some mouths shut on here.

I am absolutely chuffed to bits this morning, I will be walking around with an extra spring in my step today. Yahoo

Also, it was nice to see the All Blacks actually get reffed properly for a change. What was SBW thinking ?

AWJ showed that he is not for the scrap heap just yet. Lets hope Andy Farrell can talk some sense and composure into his English brethren on tour. The indiscipline from Itoje and Vunipola nearly cost us today.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:Well hopefully that result will zip some mouths shut on here.

I am absolutely chuffed to bits this morning, I will be walking around with an extra spring in my step today. Yahoo

Also, it was nice to see the All Blacks actually get reffed properly for a change. What was SBW thinking ?

AWJ showed that he is not for the scrap heap just yet. Lets hope Andy Farrell can talk some sense and composure into his English brethren on tour. The indiscipline from Itoje and Vunipola nearly cost us today.

He is a very good player but Itoje and Lawes are a far better balance. Henderson off the bench for impact really does not see AWJ deserving a start next week in my mind.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:49 am

eirebilly wrote:He is a very good player but Itoje and Lawes are a far better balance. Henderson off the bench for impact really does not see AWJ deserving a start next week in my mind.

I agree, I would not start him next week, but he did nothing wrong today, and done all what was expected of him. So credit where credit's due I recon.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

Why would it? The Lions won it in spite of themselves

60% possession and territory against 14 men and just squeaked by, the ABs would have won by 20 or 30 with those stats

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Northgrill Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:52 am

Sexton really got the back line going today. Him and Farrell worked a treat. Davies had some big carries too. SOB MOTM?. Itoje had some big plays but needs to work on his discipline. Think Vunipola might bench next week. AWJ justified his selection but Lawes made a difference when he came on. Gatland seemed quite hesitant to use the bench. Overall very happy.

Northgrill

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:53 am

Very Happy  OMG what a night ahead
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:54 am

All blacks can't score tries, what's wrong with them.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:54 am

LordDowlais wrote:
eirebilly wrote:He is a very good player but Itoje and Lawes are a far better balance. Henderson off the bench for impact really does not see AWJ deserving a start next week in my mind.

I agree, I would  not start him next week, but he did nothing wrong today, and done all what was expected of him. So credit where credit's due I recon.

He was solid today but the Lions did look much better when Lawes came on.

Next week the Lions cannot start Sexton and Farrell at 10/12. Gatland has to pick one with the other falling out of the match day squad with Biggar on the bench. Starting Farrell at 12 is asking too much of SOB to cover him defensively. Farrell is a good kicker but defensively on this tour he has been a bit of a speed bump.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:57 am

AWJ was brilliant tonight I must say, there's life in the old dog yet.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Northgrill Sat 01 Jul 2017, 10:58 am

eirebilly wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:

I agree, I would  not start him next week, but he did nothing wrong today, and done all what was expected of him. So credit where credit's due I recon.

He was solid today but the Lions did look much better when Lawes came on.

Next week the Lions cannot start Sexton and Farrell at 10/12. Gatland has to pick one with the other falling out of the match day squad with Biggar on the bench. Starting Farrell at 12 is asking too much of SOB to cover him defensively. Farrell is a good kicker but defensively on this tour he has been a bit of a speed bump.

Doubt we'll be seeing SBW running down his channel next week. Him and Sexton went well.

Northgrill

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:01 am

Northgrill wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

Doubt we'll be seeing SBW running down his channel next week. Him and Sexton went well.

There is an even bigger player for the AB's that SBW that will run down his channel next week, he was on today as well...

It simply does not work for me, Te'o will be needed next week and I believe that Biggar does have to be on the bench so Sexton or Farrell should miss out.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:01 am

The All blacks need to try and play the game the right way.

The crowd want to see tries, not just kicks at goal.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:05 am

marty2086 wrote:

Why would it? The Lions won it in spite of themselves

60% possession and territory against 14 men and just squeaked by, the ABs would have won by 20 or 30 with those stats

You do know that it was NZ with 60% possession and territory (68% in the 2nd half)

Still expecting to play 14 AB vs 15 Lions is something neither team probably prepared for

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:12 am

Great game and great win.
Penalty count was still way to high and If Barrett was on better form would have lost.
But hey, great stuff all the same.

Another pleasing thing was stopping New Zealand scoring a try.
Unheard of, especially at home.

Sexton Farrel worked well.

Not sure he will make to many if any changes, injuries aside.

Roll on next Saturday

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:12 am

marty2086 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:If Barrett had his kicking boots on, if Williams didn't have a brain fart. There's always ifs. All that matters is is the score at the final whistle.

The lions actually won the period where the numbers were even, and lost the periods where they were a man up. Funny old game.

If the Lions didnt give away so many penalties Barrett doesnt get those chances, so you could throw in any old ifs and buts to say it could end anyway

Yup that was my point. Wins a win.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:14 am

I doubt we'll see te'o restored it worked pretty well today. I would like someone to get hold of Murray and tell him to stop box kicking quite so much. We look so much better when we actually keep the ball.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:15 am

TightHEAD wrote:The All blacks need to try and play the game the right way.

Boring as hell these SH sides Very Happy

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:17 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I doubt we'll see te'o restored it worked pretty well today. I would like someone to get hold of Murray and tell him to stop box kicking quite so much. We look so much better when we actually keep the ball.

I cant agree that Sexton/Farrell was a success. The only reason it looked ok was because SBW was red carded. While SBW was on, it was not working for me.

As for Murray box kicking, I agree but it is the game plan he is sent out with by Gatland.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

Well done Lions, a repeat of the second tests of 77 and 93, rather than 83 and 05 so great to see.

A scrappy game where the Lions definitely took their chances, the ABs certainly didn't.

SBWs card keeps him in the spotlight yet again and at least he won't be there next week, at least two matches off for that one.

Lions did their own fair share of whacking heads as well but hey, who's complaining. It's test rugby.

Disappointing to lose a test with that particular penalty, not sure what Faimuina could have done otherwise, but Lions got stuck in, and great to be going into next weeks test.

The Lions fans will find an extra gear after this one,some of the ones I've met this week in Wellington already a little worse for wear!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:21 am

milkyboy wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:The All blacks need to try and play the game the right way.

Boring as hell these SH sides Very Happy

Very true, that's the most embarrassing part of it all! Laugh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:22 am

Jerome Garces will not be popular with the NZ fans. This is why it is important to see a NZ team refereed properly and it provides a much needed deterrent for them not to resort to dirty play. They were rattled when they realised that Garces wouldn't follow the usual soft referee and media line of "playing on the edge of the law". Hopefully Poite will have the same toughness when officiating next week and hopefully we can have a full game with 30 players on the field.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:23 am

Would have been interesting to see the 10-12 stand up to SBW for 80 mins but otherwise it worked very well. A 2nd receiver with the ability to cut a 20 yard slick pass like Farrell (similar to Daly in 6N) made that try possible for Faletau.

No Kaino hurt them too remember but the shift should be applauded regardless. Probably just deserves after BOD's cleanout, Fitzy getting his retina polished by Burger in 09. SBW has been away from league for too long to use that as an excuse.

People are saying drop Mako but I wonder if that would be a good decision. I would say at a pinch yes but people forget how important a 1st receiver he is. His hands are magnificent and look at all the times the lions took the ball down the line... Mako was 1st receiver who then passed back to Sexton. The lions would lose a strong attacking platform... but the scrums are a genuine problem, but they always have with Mako.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:24 am

eirebilly wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I doubt we'll see te'o restored it worked pretty well today. I would like someone to get hold of Murray and tell him to stop box kicking quite so much. We look so much better when we actually keep the ball.

I cant agree that Sexton/Farrell was a success. The only reason it looked ok was because SBW was red carded. While SBW was on, it was not working for me.

As for Murray box kicking, I agree but it is the game plan he is sent out with by Gatland.

No Farrell no Faletau try as well a lot more pressure on Sexton.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Jerome Garces will not be popular with the NZ fans. This is why it is important to see a NZ team refereed properly and it provides a much needed deterrent for them not to resort to dirty play. They were rattled when they realised that Garces wouldn't follow the usual soft referee and media line of "playing on the edge of the law". Hopefully Poite will have the same toughness when officiating next week and hopefully we can have a full game with 30 players on the field.

Can't see what they can complain about though. I've heard people (kiwis) saying Vunipolas clean out was a red but that would have been ridiculous. The diff was it wasn't a shoulder charge, it was a clean out and Mako clearly used his arms.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:27 am

Yellow for Mako was about right

Someone swung his arm into Naholo's head and concussed him
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:28 am

ebop wrote:Yellow for Mako was about right

Oh well that's Rugby.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:29 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:

Oh well that's Rugby.
Shucks, you're so right
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:30 am

Well the TMO seemed to have second thoughts but the ref ignored him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:31 am

The main thing the Lions can take from that is that they won, but also that they beat new Zealand playing poorly. This will probably go down as a heroic Lions win and the fact that New Zealand had 14 players for 55 minutes and the Lions made a dogs dinner of it will be whitewashed.
The players from 25 minutes to 60 minutes looked completely lost which, for me, undermines the point of having Farrell and Sexton there. That said the last 20 was brilliant, to score 15 points to 3 in the last 20 is no small feat against any team. The third test is going to be absolutely enormous so I'd stick with the Farrell-Sexton axis, Te'o has a handful of caps, Farrell and Sexton are hugely experienced.
Looking toward next week, Vunipola needs to be looked at. On another day a ref could have shown a red for his second challenge, it would have been incredibly charged but he had no need to give the ref a chance to make a decision. I'd take Lawes in over AWJ, Lawes has that extra bit of power to give the Lions some oomph in defense and a bit of go forward in the attack. I'd keep AWJ on the bench, his experience and leadership could (hopefully) be vital in the last 20. I'd keep the backline largely the same, Davies has been brilliant and shows that sometimes, and only very very occasionally, picking someone who's shown no form just because they're Welsh can pay off. He seems to be one of those players transformed by a Lions jersey, he always seems a bit average to me playing for Wales but he's been very good in the last 5 Lions tests a bit like Tom Croft really.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:31 am

marty2086 wrote:

Yeah, he was at it every time.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

Wasn't it Naholo who chopped Williams late?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

I thought naholo was concussed from the faletau try. I was a touch exuberant at that point though.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:32 am

marty2086 wrote:

Given it actually resulted in a concussion (unlike Watson) you'd expect someone to have a closer look at it and someone may get some time off
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

eirebilly wrote:

The freedom was provided due to the AB's loosing SBW. I am not saying drop Farrell, I just do not think the 10/12 combination works as it asks too much of SOB to cover him defensively.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

Well then I hope someone is cited so that the incident can be properly investigated. That may mean of course that its considered to be an accident because those sometimes happen in rugby

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:33 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Wasn't it Naholo who chopped Williams late?

No it was Lauampe the number 23, it was to the knee as well

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:35 am

That was SOB and it was not a swinging arm, it was an unfortunate contact whilst attempting a turnover...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

ebop wrote:
marty2086 wrote:

Given it actually resulted in a concussion (unlike Watson) you'd expect someone to have a closer look at it and someone may get some time off

I was talking about the yellow card

Watson passed a HIA, thats different to not being concussed

Pretty sure there was a call to look at the Naholo knock

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:36 am

123456789 wrote:The main thing the Lions can take from that is that they won, but also that they beat new Zealand playing poorly. This will probably go down as a heroic Lions win and the fact that New Zealand had 14 players for 55 minutes and the Lions made a dogs dinner of it will be whitewashed.
The players from 25 minutes to 60 minutes looked completely lost which, for me, undermines the point of having Farrell and Sexton there. That said the last 20 was brilliant, to score 15 points to 3 in the last 20 is no small feat against any team. The third test is going to be absolutely enormous so I'd stick with the Farrell-Sexton axis, Te'o has a handful of caps, Farrell and Sexton are hugely experienced.
Looking toward next week, Vunipola needs to be looked at. On another day a ref could have shown a red for his second challenge, it would have been incredibly charged but he had no need to give the ref a chance to make a decision. I'd take Lawes in over AWJ, Lawes has that extra bit of power to give the Lions some oomph in defense and a bit of go forward in the attack. I'd keep AWJ on the bench, his experience and leadership could (hopefully) be vital in the last 20. I'd keep the backline largely the same, Davies has been brilliant and shows that sometimes, and only very very occasionally, picking someone who's shown no form just because they're Welsh can pay off. He seems to be one of those players transformed by a Lions jersey, he always seems a bit average to me playing for Wales but he's been very good in the last 5 Lions tests a bit like Tom Croft really.

Was Davies really stand out? In what capacity? NZ never charged down his channel and he never really got any opportunities.

AWJ put in a shift to be applauded... albeit one like Jamie Carragher would be applauded for when England/Liverpool would play 10 men behind the ball and cut out all the space. Its different when you don't have an open game and passes are short. Last week the Lions were stretched and guys like Jones were left behind.  
Its tricky, rain and AWJ looks like the man once more. No rain and Lawes looks the far better candidate.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:37 am

marty2086 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Wasn't it Naholo who chopped Williams late?

No it was Lauampe the number 23, it was to the knee as well

Fair enough, they have poor discipline throughout the team and refs just turn a blind eye.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:37 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:I thought naholo was concussed from the faletau try. I was a touch exuberant at that point though.
Nup, it was SOB after the kickoff at 58

He'll go for a skate I think
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:38 am

eirebilly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

The freedom was provided due to the AB's loosing SBW. I am not saying drop Farrell, I just do not think the 10/12 combination works as it asks too much of SOB to cover him defensively.

SOB won't be playing next week. More likely Crotty and in that scenario its far less of a problem.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

fa0019 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

SOB won't be playing next week. More likely Crotty and in that scenario its far less of a problem.

Why wouldnt he be playing?

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

ebop wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:I thought naholo was concussed from the faletau try. I was a touch exuberant at that point though.
Nup, it was SOB after the kickoff at 58

He'll go for a skate I think

You'll have no players left then for all those late hits.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat 01 Jul 2017, 11:41 am

marty2086 wrote:

Why wouldnt he be playing?

Hansen will start crying so the WRU will look to even things out in the all Blacks favour, you know the drill

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 22 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17 ... 22  Next