The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

+8
sirbenson
Davie
Shotrock
venice1
NedB-H
SmithersJones
Maverick
kwinigolfer
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:28 am

1). Wonderful performance last week by Steve Stricker to win the Memorial. Curiously, he played the front nine in 20 under, the back nine in plus 3. For the weekend, at least, we saw the definition of playing the back nine with both hands on the steering wheel, holding on tight.

2). I like almost everything that I know about Steve Stricker; he was one of the original players on the Nationwide Tour in 1990, enjoyed increasing success from a relatively humble start on Tour, Two early Tour wins including the prestigious Western Open, a WGC title, then a deep slump for three or four years. Much hard work beating balls from a trailer onto a frozen field in the Wisconsin tundra, a sponsor's invite gratefully accepted for the Shell Houston Open, a top finish there, seven more wins, and Comeback Player twice.

But even Steve is not immune from the occasional really dumb comment: "The Europeans are playing some great golf, and they're dominating the top spots, obviously, but we know who the top guys are. They're just not on their games right now, I guess." Bad guess, Steve. The top guys are on their games and you're one of them. But so are Donald and Westwood. Woods? He's injured. Get over it.

3). In fact, the Memorial gained stature (and owgr points) by the mere presence of the likes of Donald, McIlroy, Choi and Schwartzel in the field. The boot is on the other foot now and one hopes that US PGA Tour pros don't forget it.
Steve seldom does "abroad", his last three efforts where he used his passport yielded, respectively, 52nd, 58th, 45th, though great credit to him for a fine Ryder Cup.

4). Before leaving Memorial, some curious stats:
Rickie Fowler led the tournament in under-par holes with 26 birdies and an eagle, offset of course by 19 bogeys or worse, good for 22nd position. A classic example of great golf course architecture where a course can be had, so long as you don't get yourself out of position and try to hit the perfect recovery shot. Know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

5). And: Fine effort by Luke Donald (7th), and he led the tournament in driving accuracy. Would think that's a first.
But, in rounds 1, 2 and 3 he didn't make a single up-and-down from sand, plum last in that category until he woke up and made 'em all on Sunday!

6). Out of interest, perhaps it's worth recording the top ten links courses in GB&I as ranked by Golf Digest: Royal County Down, St.Andrews (Old), Muirfield, Royal Dornoch, Royal Portrush, Turnberry (Ailsa), Ballybunion (Old), Royal Porthcawl, Carnoustie, Royal Birkdale. One magazine's opoinion, obviously.
Royal St.George's is rated 11th, while 606(v2?) faves include Castle Sturat (13th), North Berwick (14th), Silloth (31st), Saunton (33rd - East, and 35th - West) and Gullane (48th).

7). On to hot and sweaty Memphis, where competitors are advised not to wear light brown or khaki coloured trousers. Garrigus, Karlsson and Westwood play together in Rounds 1 and 2 and, while the heat and humidity of Memphis may be good for acclimation to Congressional conditions, it surely won't be for San Francisco in 2012 and one hopes that Lee Westwood will choose his pre-US Open warm-up a little more judiciously next year. (Rory due to play practice rounds at Comngressional this week in 100F degree temps. Should be slightly milder next week.)

8). Sublime and ridiculous describes the venues this spring for the PGA Tour: Classic Colonial followed by TPC Las Colinas. Magnificent Muirfield Village followed by TPC Southwind, and a lack-lustre Memphis field is the result. But it IS event 3 in the R&A's mini-moneylist for Open Championship qualification and the list (non-exempt players only) is currently headed by Goydos (now injured), followed by Jobe, Holmes and Dufner.

9). And this week sees last gasp qualifying for Congressional, any owgr top fifty players as at close of play Sunday not already exempt will join the field. Gary Woodland will be one of them and others hoping for a high finish this week include Steve Marino, the highest ranked player (59th) of those players competing. Vijay's run of consecutive Majors grinds to a halt at 67, but Sergio's will extend to 47. Mike Weir is next but he too has failed to qualify.

10). In a bizarre piece of scheduling, both the Nationwide and Champions Tour events this week are in North Carolina. The usual GB suspects will be playing the Nationwide, Gary Christian and Greg Owen trying to build on top ten finishes last week.
And, a couple of hundred miles west, John Huston will be playing his second Champers Tour event - not notable for much, except Huston's prowess on Bermuda greens and the speed of his play, annually the fastest player on Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by Maverick Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:58 am

Nicely done again Kwini, I must've missed Strickers comments but seems strangely naive thing to say from a guy that usually makes sense must have had a brain fart there!

The field seems a bit sparse this week for quality with a few exceptions of course, similar story this side of the pond though. Any inside tips on how congressional is being set up, am I right in thinking they are changing course from a 70 to a 71 for this years US Open. From what i've seen of the course looks like 16 could play a pivotal role down the strech.

Hows our own Greg Owen doing on the Nationwide money list this year, he needed a good kick up the backside after years of just accepting his average performances in order to pick up checks and just making it inside the bubble on PGA Tour not the golf we had come to expcet of him and especially after a good showing at the open few years back when he cotended he showed so much promise but has delivered very little.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: FedEx St.Jude Classic, Memphis: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:19 am

Cheers Mav,
Memphis field "sparse"? It would look a little stronger but this lot "committed" then withdrew since Friday:
Singh, Gainey, Olazabal, Dean Wilson, Wetterich, Ricky Barnes, Points, Stanley, Nathan Green, Matt Jones, etc, etc.

No idea how the USGA is going to set up Congressional, but McDowell called it a monster when he played there a month ago, on media day. They've extended it and a wet spring should make for a healthy crop of rough. A few of the guys are supposed to be there this week so it'll be interesting to see what they say.

Greg Owen is currently 38th on the N'wide money list, probably squandered a few thousand dollars with indifferent efforts the past two Sundays. Don't think he ever recovered from his Bay Hill meltdown; terrible on last year's Tour.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:48 am

Sticker's comment is a strange one, but perhaps indicative of how the US pros see themselves in relation to Tiger and Phil. It's almost as though they believe they're not as good, and despite their injuries and to a lesser extent ages, the 'big 2' will be back winning left, right and centre in the near future. If it's Phil & Steve battling it out on the back 9 on Sunday at Congressional, Steve's pretty much conceded there already. But with Phil's driving and recent form that's unlikely anyway, of course. Maybe it's a reverse psychology thing but he's not really asserting himself over the likes of Luke and Lee, instead he's bigging up T&P.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 08 Jun 2011, 2:08 pm

Good stuff Kwini.

I see that following Tiger on the road to the hospital is Anders Hansen, abruptly pulling himself out of Congressional on the back of yet another runners-up spot. Seems somehow apt that after years of flirting with the top 50, he finally gets himself firmly inside then promptly crocks himself. No idea what the problem is though.

What do you make of the changes to US Open qualification, anyway? As I understand it, all the money list/FedEx/R2D standings will be chucked out as entry routes next year, as will the mini-money-list avenues, and the only categories will be top-60 in world rankings taken at various dates. Seems like it'll result in a load more places at qualifying, to me. But probably a good thing for the global players, if anything.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 3:28 pm

Watched a lot of Hansen on last week's coverage from Wales, didn't see anything obvious. But Jason Dufner won't mind, he's in! I wish "alternate" status for US Open entry was more transparent; AP reported Ramsay was IN yesterday, then retracted it amending to first alternate, but obviously that wasn't right either, a Texas college graduate getting into the field instead of Woods.

Haven't checked out all the ramification of changes for US Open qualification for next year, but this year's changes have already excluded places 11 - 15 of last year's tournament; Justin Leonard missing out there.
And the Bridgestone has amended its qualification criteria such that Leonard is no longer exempt as a member of the last Presidents Cup Team! No tears for Justin though, he's been on the top 50 gravy train without exceptional results for quite a while now.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by venice1 Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:09 pm

As others have stated, a strange comment by Stricker concerning the European players holding court at the top now. It seems to be somewhere between Mav's "... must have had a brain fart" and SJ's "... see themselves in relation to Tiger and Phil" and also a remaining arrogance held on tightly by the American players.

They've grown up in a world and their parents' world of U.S. domination whether it was real or perceived. They are reluctant to acknowledge that others may play a different and conceivably better game based on the facts and results.

Most of my friends that I play with still believe the American pro's are better despite what's displayed on the scoreboard. I think the next generation of U.S. golfers will truly accept reality but for many of the older set, including Stricker, nice guy or not, it's a lost cause.

venice1

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

I've a feeling these media love-ins prompt some players to offer comments that are designed to give crumbs to the audience, in this case whether Jack, who was sat right next to him, or the US Press corp.

Better news from one American is that Bubba Watson, who sharpened his game on the Australian Tour prior to his rookie Tour season, is expecting to play the French Open and the Nordea Masters - he'll be a busy boy as he'll be playing Congressional, then Hartford, then presumably the French Open, week off perhaps, then RStG and Sweden.

Just had a butcher's on the Paul Casey (remember him?) website and it says he's scheduled to play in Germany in two weeks' time. Almost seems as if he's programming himself to lose his PGA Tour card.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:19 pm

All this who's better who isn't is really tedious at times. Lamentable for Stricker, but maybe he was teed up. Did anyone think that Tiger Woods was really the best golfer in the world for most of last year? I didn't. Nor do I think Westwood is/was the best golfer in the world in 2011. No one golfer impresses me as such at the moment. But someone has to carry the label. Are the Europeans stronger than the American players right now? Well, if you tell me how many Europeans are to play against how many Americans you can start to make a case one way or another. Top 5 of each, I would suggest the Europeans are stronger. Top 20, take your pick (remember last year's Ryder cup?). Top 50 of each, I dunno.

Interesting comment by Trevino recently. He claims the top Europeans are better players because of their necessary commitment to travel and the general difficulty of different courses. Let's see if a European or an American win the next major ... again, I hope the USGA doesn't make Congressional a joke.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:24 pm

Shotrock wrote:No one golfer impresses me as such at the moment.

If you seriously aren't impressed by Luke over the last 3 or 4 months then I really wonder what it takes to impress you

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:36 pm

Davie - My point exactly ... how many tournaments did Donald win in the last 3 or 4 months? A major? Ever? If you want me to state that without question he's the absolute best golfer on the planet right now and an odds on favorite to win the National Open I won't. No one dominant golfer right now.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:36 pm

I see the point though. Is Donald the best golfer in the world right now? Probably. But it'd only take a Westwood or a Kaymer or even a McDowell to win next week, coupled with an average result for Donald, and the tables would be turned. There really isn't a standout player at the moment in the way Woods was for so many years, and Vijay was briefly. I find it much more enjoyable this way...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:39 pm

Shotrock wrote:Davie - My point exactly ... how many tournaments did Donald win in the last 3 or 4 months? A major? Ever? If you want me to state that without question he's the absolute best golfer on the planet right now and an odds on favorite to win the National Open I won't. No one dominant golfer right now.

A WGC matchplay event where he was peerless, and the flagship European tour event? How many majors have there BEEN in the last 3 or 4 months? I seem to recall he came pretty close in that one too.

I think I see what you mean - obviously he would have to have won 3 majors in the last 3 or 4 months (despite there only being one) for you to be impressed. Rolling Eyes

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:44 pm

Mark Wilson won twice on the PGA tour this year -- hey, that's the same number as Luke! Never said I wasn't impressed with Luke, but he ain't the clear best in the world to me.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 08 Jun 2011, 9:54 pm

What is it about majors that makes people think they're the indicator of the best player in the world? I don't hear anyone shouting for Charl to be considered world no. 1, even though his finish at the Masters was more impressive than even Woods ever managed. Loius Oouisthazen anyone? No? Strange how no-one seemed that devastated that Kaymer was knocked off the top by Westy, even though Kaymer has a major to his name (presumably because he's not Tiger or one of his compatriots?). The world rankings reflect 2 years of play across all tournaments, and are weighted to favour the big events, if only because they are designed to award higher points the more top players an event has. People don't seem to realise that Tiger used to win an incredibly high proportion of all the events he played in, majors or otherwise, and so his dominance in the world rankings was a product of all his wins and high finishes, regardless of whether they were majors, WGCs or tournaments like the Memorial or AT&T.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Jun 2011, 10:13 pm

Point I was trying to make is that Steve Stricker is one of a number of equals - the first among equals probably changes every week. Phil's not interested, and Tiger set the bar way too high for anyone else to be mentioned in the same breath as him. But Stricker is unwise to suggest Phil and Tiger are still at an altogether higher because they're clearly not.

I can see everyone's point about Majors, whether or not they define a golfer. Fact is, guys with multiple Majors have defined their status but no-one's doing that right now, probably all but Mickelson past their prime, maybe even Phil, time will tell.

Everyone's mini-Majors, whether they're the BMW PGA, WGC's, R2D, FedEx play-off wins, are different, important to some but others might not give a damn, as Westwood rightly pointed out.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 08 Jun 2011, 11:12 pm

Donald has won twice this year. Two big events yes, but still only twice. And last year he only won once, in a pretty small event. He's had a load of top-10s, and he probably is the best golfer in the world right now, but put it in context with what we're talking about re: domination. Tiger won 9 times on the two big tours in 1999, including 2 WGCs and a Major. In 2000: 10 wins, inc. 3 Majors and 1 WGC. In 2001: 6, inc. 1 of each. And so on. When Vijay toppled him in the rankings in 2004, he had 9 Tour wins including a Major. That's the sort of domination we're talking about, and there's no one approaching that at the moment.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

The sun's shining in Memphis as the early starters hit the range. Already mid-70's and temps expected to rise to high 90's later in the day. Hot and muggy by the time Garrigus, Karlsson and Westwood set out this afternoon.

These conditions are likely to prevail through the weekend with the chance/risk of thundershowers most afternoons.

Meanwhile, some of the truants from Memphis are honing their games at Congressional. High was 100F degrees Wednesday, 102F expected today. But this weather will break and temps for the US Open are expected to stay in the mid/high 80's, but with thunderstorms in the long-range forecast throughout.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:42 pm

Is it the top non qualifier this week who qualifies for next week?

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:36 pm

benson,
I think the only players who can qualify this week for Congressional are:
1).Golfers worldwide not previously exempt who are in the world rankings top fifty as at the conclusion of the week's tournaments. I think Steve Marino is the leading player on the outside trying to get in who's in the Memphis field. Woodland is certain already to have qualified via this route.

2).The Memphis winner, if not previously eligible, if he has already won a PGA Tournament since last US Open. Haven't worked out who would be in that category but Jhonny Vegas, Pettersson, Bettencourt, Johnson Wagner, Michael Bradley, Keegan Bradley, Brenden Steele might be among them.

Otherwise, the USHA might still offer a Special Exemption (last year Vijay got one) but they've indicated such an invite is unlikely.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:51 pm

Woodland qualified for next week via his top 5 Memorial, he was due to play the 36hole qualifier on the momday but by virtue of his high finish he gained exemption and a day off.

Any news on the setup for next week yet and whether they are going for a par 71 over the usual 70. Just something I heard in passing, GMac taken some time with Pete Cowen this weekend up in Orlando to find the "key" to a better week at congressional

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

Who does everyone fancy this week?
Are some guys just getting a warm-up in before Congressional and will they therefore be competitive?
What about local guys??
Previous on the course???

Among those in next week's field who haven't been at their best are Allenby and Karlsson; Ogilvy and Harrington too, but there's a gamble presumably with their fitness.
Bryce Molder, Daly, Snedeker, Shaun Micheel and David Toms are local-ish, and Toms has won here twice.
Other previous Memphis winners returning to the scene of the crime are Austin, Gay, Mattiace and, of course, Number Two (who probably would just miss out on resuming at Number One should he win).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 2:24 pm

Hi Mav,
Yup, think what I wrote about Woodland was a bit ambiguous, but YES!

As for next week, Congressional will play a par 71, par 5's being numbers 6, 9, 16. Who knows how long they'll play it but they stretched it to about 7,600 yards, seven of the par 4's listed at 460 yards plus. But there's some elevation changes also and yardages can be misleading.
It's been a very wet spring with more storms expected before they come under starter's orders. I know McDowell felt it was wedge-out height rough when he played there a month ago when the course was very wet.
We'll learn more about it as the days tick by but I'm expecting it to be Bethpage-like, where only strong drivers need apply.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 3:33 pm

At times like this, when I am betting I tend to go for a player that won't have his eyes on the major the following week. I went for Camilo Villegas this week, because his season has been poor so far and he needs it to kick start before he can be thinking of majors. He has always fared quite well at the event too (46, 18, 29, 8th). Hopefully he can put 4 respectable rounds together here this week!

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:07 pm

Off to a good start with Camilo, Rr.
I feel the same about Bryce Molder, for so long a great college player who never broke through as a Pro, then his coming out party here two years ago and trying to establish himself as a top 100 player. Bit of a struggle though, but this is a "home (ish) game" for him and my fingers are crossed!

Strong starts for the Goose and the Swedish Redneck, both of whom really need a good finish.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

Back to hard drivers with next week in mind...

Candidates:

Mickelson, Bubba, DJ, Watney, Weswtood, Kaymer, Jason Day, McIlroy and Glover. Only Westwood and perhaps Watney stick out on current form...

plus, we cant rule out Stricker, Toms or Donald on current form.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:47 pm

Big week at Congressional for Kaymer . . . .

I've ruled out Donald, Stricker and Toms (and McDo and Poulter) as not sufficiently long, not just off the tee but with their irons.

But, as Larry Nelson used to say, and as David Toms at his best has also proven "If I hit my 5-wood better than you hit your 5-iron, and I hit more shots from the fairway, I'm going to beat you!" Big "IF" though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:55 pm

What happened to Sergio? 11 on a par-5, I'd be disappointed with that!

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Sergio just fired an ELEVEN on a par-5. He's losing his grip.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

Yeah Kaymer is prone to a lull between mid spring and early summer... I do worry about the caddy change though, it might be too soon for them.

When par is a good score you can't be straight enough off the tee and Sticker, Toms and Donald are just playing extremely well, too well to discount. I won't be betting on any of them though, their price will be as short as their tee ball.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

Ned, Snap!
It looks like it was too much for ShotTracker to cope with, but at least three balls in the water and a missed putt from inside the leather.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:01 pm

RE Sergio
http://www.pgatour.com/shottracker/#/current/r025/1/player/21209/

click hole no 3. In the water twice and picked up an extra penalty after the second splash ball. Missed the green and then missed a tiddler for a 10.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Ned, Snap!
It looks like it was too much for ShotTracker to cope with, but at least three balls in the water and a missed putt from inside the leather.

Yeah it still isn't coping with it! 3 approaches into the drink it seems, tiddler might not have been missed as I stated in the other post.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

Shotlink finally seems to have got it sussed, albeit with shots 10 and 11 between 1 and 2. 3 balls in the drink, then 3 to get down from a bunker.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

Ah well... he was already 2 over by then! Suspect he's got a bit of a hangover from Monday's playoff. Not too worried yet, he's shown such steady form since returning that it should take more than a bad 18 holes to upset him. Hopefully.

Good form from Europe's Nationwide contingent: Owen out early and having his lunch in a tie for 2nd after a 68; all the other morning starters under par save Gronberg, who managed 5 birdies in a 2-over 73. He was leading his US Open qualie after the first round on Monday, then gave all his shots back with a second round 77... there's some good form in there somewhere, trying to get out. Mention for Ireland's Seamus Power too, first tour start and deserves to do well, if only for his awesome name. -2 thru 8 so far.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by Redrage Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

FFS, sympathy swing by Sergio's good mate Camilo... another ball finds the drink moments after he missed a good birdie chance from 11ft. Better now than on a Sunday I suppose.

Redrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

Can't see length being the most important thing at Congressional. I also think Donald is hitting it longer these days. Still think if he hits the most fairways next week, he wins.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

Faldo,
Always thought one of your main strengths was your course management, your ability to sketch out a gameplan and keep to it knowing that you had the strength of character to execute under pressure. You never won the US Open or the PGA but always played the courses properly, never being disadvantaged due to length or accuracy, and always being the man to beat.
I just don't yet see that in Luke Donald and his track record to date is not strong, his fine finish at Medinah excepted. Really think he's got to ratchet things up a notch - hitting most fairways would do it! - to contend.
Last year's capitulation at Pebble Beach - which should have been just up his street - was especially disappointing after a very good opening round.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Faldono1fan Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:30 pm

Think he is a new improved version Kwini. I've seen something from him this year I haven't seen before... guts and determination. I think as long as the sat nav is working on his driver that he will win. His irons,putting,bunker play, chipping and scrambling in general are top notch. I know what you mean about course management etc, but he is so consistent nowadays on a variety of different golf courses.I think this will serve him well.

Faldono1fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:31 pm

Ned,
Seamus Power is following in Rhys Davies' footsteps at East Tennessee State. Hopefully he'll get some European Tour invites this summer if he wants them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:36 pm

Faldo,
Hope you're right . . . . ! Ale

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 6:40 pm

Would love to see donald win it, but it really does depend on his accuracy as with how far he hits it anything in the rough takes the greens out of play.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:19 pm

Those Euros competing in this tournament, and then at Congressional, are wise to get weather acclimated if nothing else this week. It's a scorcher in these parts.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:20 pm

Back to Memphis for a moment:
Apart from Garcia's 78, continued form from Anthony Kim, Ben Crane and Jhonny Vegas, all conspicuously absent from recent leaderboards and sliding down the owgr's. Continued good scoring from VT's Keegan Bradley, winner two weeks ago. If he can repeat the trick in Memphis he'd qualify for Congressional.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:21 pm

Maginnes a worthy edition to the golf channel team today I remember listening to him on the PGA Tour website in the past.

Last edited by sirbenson on Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:36 pm; edited 2 times in total

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Hi Shotrock,
My ndn is in Philly for the Cubs game - he roasted last night at Camden Yards, will hopefully cool off at The Stadium on Saturday!
Fleeting visit to CNY's Sin City overnight tomorrow, should be lovely. Always is, right?!

I didn't really pay much attention to the Aronomink set-up last year - would it be attractive to a misfiring Tiger? I always thought of it as an old-style course with old-style values. My hunch is that TW will sit things out until Firestone.

Hi benson,
Maginnes can be entertaining, we get him sometimes on Nationwide events. Can be a bit parochial, but suppose he's entitled to be. Perhaps they had to find a Southern Boy to combat Memphis's heat and humidity?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by sirbenson Thu 09 Jun 2011, 8:35 pm

Nice comeback from Boo Weekley in his round someone who seems to lack the application!!!

sirbenson

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Jun 2011, 9:48 pm

Kwin - Exactly right on the old style course with similar set up. Nothing forced about it, challenging green complexes, 2 par 5's, neither a slam dunk birdie, and stout length for a course built in 1928.

Party line is TW will be there (his foundation runs the tournament, so he may be there but not swinging a club), but my hunch is totally with you.

Have fun in CNY even though you missed Saranac Thursday.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

Not meant to be an advertisement for FedEx but, for anyone with the slightest interest in distribution and all that goes into it, I recommend unreservedly a visit to FedEx's facilities in Memphis.

Do all the tours, warehouses, security, flight planning etc; then go out have some great ribs, and come back to the airport to spend a couple of hours in the control tower as the "fleet" flies in. Great experience, a lesson as to how clockwork works!!
Then off to Beale Street for some great music!!!

PS: Shaun Micheel knows all about it - his Dad was one of the original FedEx pilots; think he's not made himself a few mill?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

In the Nationwide Matthew Richardson lies -5, tied for the lead, with four holes to play.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next