The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread

+16
Afro
king_carlos
chichestersurreyfan
LondonTiger
Voice of the Beehive
guildfordbat
Gooseberry
jimbobgooner
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
James100
wisden
JDizzle
alfie
jimbohammers
SimonofSurrey
20 posters

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by SimonofSurrey Wed 12 Jul - 4:28

First topic message reminder :

After over 10000 views and 310+ articles spread over seven pages (which you have to scroll thro one by one on an i-phone) I've decided it's time we moved  on from the 2016 thread to this year. Here we go...

Cheers all,

Simon

SimonofSurrey

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 1 Mar - 19:16

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Hearing reports we've offered Morne Morkel a lucrative Kolpak deal...

Seems this will be confirmed in the coming week or so - Morkel already confirmed his retirement

Top top signing - especially if Tom Curran ends up playing a bit more with England this summer
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Surrey CCC 2019 Discussion Thread

Post by guildfordbat Fri 2 Mar - 6:54

jimbobgooner wrote:rip Richard Doughty Sad
I'm sure Guildford and corporal will be able to tell us more about the 2 years he played for us

Hi JimBob - sorry about the delay in replying but I was touring New Zealand most of February.

I can't really add much about Richard Doughty. I don't think I ever saw him play as his time at the Oval coincided when I was down the Woking salt mines and hardly ever allowed up for air, let alone to watch cricket. I do remember the name though and think of him being a useful ''fill in'' player for us and also Gloucs. His obituary on the Club website appears to support that view. Certainly seems he had a tough time after his cricket career ended. Very sad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 19 Mar - 3:03

Surrey fly tomorrow to Dubai where as a warm up for this season they will play 4 one day games; 1 against Lancs on Wednesday, then 2 against Glamorgan and 1 against a UAE side.

15 players named in the squad. By my reckoning, all available professionals are travelling plus Jamie Smith, a 17 year old keeper who has come up through Surrey's various under-age teams. Unless new skipper Burns takes the gloves, someone like Smith had to be given a ticket with Foakes and Pope elsewhere.

Pleased to see Matt Dunn included after a horrible time with injuries. This group of 15 looks bowler heavy (as does the entire professional squad) but still an opportunity for him along with such young guns as Gus Atkinson and Will Jacks.

JimBob - if you are looking in, hope you have wintered well. Fancy a separate thread for the Dubai games? Cheers.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 19 Mar - 7:50

Cheers for that Guildford - I agree the squad looks heavy on bowlers, they seem to be placing a lot of faith in youngsters like Ryan Patel and Ollie Pope it seems. Admirable that they are, a club should always look to bring through their own, but it’s a risky strategy. We’re going to need Borthwick to come good with the bat this season (and maybe Mr Stoneman to have a poor tour of NZ...)
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 21 Mar - 1:36

I hope we're ready for this Dubai lark. Tomorrow's opponents Lancs absolutely hammered a UAE side today in their opening 50 over game. They made 395/4 (3 really as Hameed was 'retired out') whilst UAE Blues ended their 50 overs on 170/9.

It seems Lancs stuck with an 11 man side whilst the Blues used 13 players during the day. Hope both sides stick to 11 tomorrow - makes it seem more realistic and competitive. There are enough games for every Surrey man to play at least twice.

Live scores should be shown on cricinfo with both clubs' twitter feeds expected to provide the odd photo from the ground and a bit of blurb.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 21 Mar - 21:04

Surrey 231 all out after 49.2 overs.

I doubt that will be anywhere like enough against a Lancs side who wasted no time yesterday in getting all guns blazing.

Always a waste and unprofessional not to bat all your overs - even in a pre-season game - although some encouraging individual scores. Half-centuries for Patel and Burger Van, two players on the edge of the squad - outer edge in Burger Van's case, which should at least please them. A 40 something from Borthwick opening the innings, not brilliant but a lot better than many of his scores last year. 31 as well for young keeper Smith which seems a pretty useful first knock.

We are using 13 players in this game. A big mistake imo to leave out our two most experienced players, Batty and Clarke. I would only have omitted one of them at most for this opener. Sure, the younger guys need to get game time but it's better for them to be playing and learning alongside established pros.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 22 Mar - 4:54

Sure enough - Lancs won by 5 wickets with a couple of overs to spare.

Nothing out of this world although several useful individual Surrey performances. Still feel we missed a trick with the team chosen.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 22 Mar - 7:15

Good to see some of the youngsters get some runs, and Dunn and McKerr bowled well apparently
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 24 Mar - 20:06

Reports circulating in India and around the Club that Virat Kohli is signing for a short spell of three CC matches in June. Apparently to give him greater experience of English conditions before India's test series here and coinciding with Mitch Marsh being unavailable.

Come on Olly - this is your job! Very Happy

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 27 Mar - 21:54

Not much joy for Surrey in the 3/3 friendly defeats.  Obviously early days yet, but batting does look light as has been said before. But if we ever get to field Burns, Stoneman, Borthwick, Roy, Foakes, Pope and followed by couple of Currans - that looks like a reasonable, if not perhaps stellar, line up. Patel and Jacks might be reasonable standbys for England call ups /injury / loss of form.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 31 Mar - 23:17

Tom Curran to be Mitchell Starc’a replacement at Kolkata for this IPL season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 2 Apr - 4:38

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Hearing reports we've offered Morne Morkel a lucrative Kolpak deal...

Seems this will be confirmed in the coming week or so - Morkel already confirmed his retirement

Top top signing - especially if Tom Curran ends up playing a bit more with England this summer

Wasn’t confirmed as soon as thought but the Telegraph have reported it as an “exclusive” now - seems he will be on a Kolpak deal but will play the odd T20 league (tbh doubt he plays many, won’t be picked up for many)

Class signing this
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 2 Apr - 5:31

Cheers for these latest updates, Olly.

Yep, proven quality with the ball which we need.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Mon 2 Apr - 13:14

Unfortunately for you Surrey types he might not be fit for the start of the season now...those side strains take a while to come good (I know !)

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 2 Apr - 22:20

alfie wrote:Unfortunately for you Surrey types he might not be fit for the start of the season now...those side strains take a while to come good (I know !)

Alfie - yeah, I was wondering about that. Even with you probably having a few years over our new man Wink, still concerning.

I don't think Morkel has a great fitness record? Although I'm not putting Morkel in this category, Surrey do have form when it comes to buying clapped out former South African internationals who are only interested in the money.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Tue 3 Apr - 10:14

Remarkable recovery for Morne , apparently Smile

Should be fine for The Oval...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 7 Apr - 3:48

Dale Steyn has signed for Hampshire for one CC game this season, covering for Amla, and it looks like Surrey have drawn the short straw!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 7 Apr - 5:42

JDizzle wrote:Dale Steyn has signed for Hampshire for one CC game this season, covering for Amla, and it looks like Surrey have drawn the short straw!

We also get to play Yorks with Root + Bairstow!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sat 7 Apr - 20:13

It's not one game, he is there in two bursts...plays 2 games in first burst covering Amla, he then goes back, towards back end of season

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 11 Apr - 0:36

Morkel finally confirmed on a two year deal

Dean Elgar expected to replace Mitchell Marsh as the overseas for the first part of the season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Wed 11 Apr - 4:05

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the line-up to start the season? I'd go

Burns
Stoneman
Elgar
Borthwick
Foakes (wk)
Pope
S Curran
Clarke
Batty
Meaker
Morkel

I guess Patel may play ahead of Meaker, but can't see any other changes from that.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 11 Apr - 7:23

Hi James - I feel you're on or close to being on the money. As often though, we don't know everything from this distance.

This afternoon's London Standard which formally confirmed Morkel's signing also suggested he might miss the CC opener as a result of the injury he sustained in his last Test. If he does miss out then, Pillans (who picked up 3 wickets today at Hove and took a fourfer in one of the Dubai games) could come in. Even if Morkel does play, Pillans could feasibly challenge Meaker for a place.

If Elgar isn't signed for the opening match, Patel to play.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr - 18:53

Hi James and fellow Mafia members - for the 3 day friendly at the Oval against Cambridge uni starting tomorrow, it'll be interesting to see the squad selected and, more particularly, the team chosen (it will be eleven for a ''proper'' match).

With Stoneman, Foakes, Roy, T Curran and Morkel all unavailable to play the students and no new batsman signed (? yet) to replace the crocked Marsh, options are limited.

Maybe a team of Burns, Harinath, Patel, Borthwick, S Curran, Pope, Clarke, Pillans, Batty, Meaker and one other (Jacks, Burger Van, a 5th front line seamer???). My main doubt is whether Batty will play tomorrow. He probably will but it may be felt that he knows his game well enough and so doesn't need this outing which could allow both Jacks and Burger Van an opportunity.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Apr - 18:58

Only warm up games, but good to see Sam Curran in the runs - if Surrey are to have a good season I think his contributions with the bat may be more important than his ones with the ball
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 12 Apr - 19:04

That team seems likely Guildford - do you know if Jacks bowls spin or seam?

As Olly says, Sam Curran's runs could be very important this season given our poor bench strength with the bat. If we can avoid injuries, our first XI batting looks good on paper, but if a couple of batters go down crocked, it could be a rough season.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 12 Apr - 20:02

Hi James - I haven't seen Jacks at all but understand he's more of a batsman who bowls a bit of off spin. If he does play against the students, I would expect him around number 7 in the line up.

I noticed that Sam Curran has been batting up the order - circa number 5 - in some of the warm up games. That certainly suggests that Stewie and MDV are looking for some important runs from him just as you and Olly are.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Thu 12 Apr - 22:57

Elgar confirmed until the end of May, available from the first game.

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 12 Apr - 23:10

James100 wrote:Elgar confirmed until the end of May, available from the first game.

That's great news!

So we're looking at this possible line up for the first game?

Burns
Stoneman
Elgar
Borthwick
Foakes
Patel/Pope
Curran S
Clarke
Batty
Meaker
Morkel

Begins to look like a much better XI - with Harinath, one of Patel/Pope, Roy, Curran T, Pillans, Virdi, Buger Van, Dernbach waiting in the wings. Also Matt Dunn and Conor McKerr, albeit I haven't heard much about them in pre season?

I like Mitchell Marsh - but his injury might be a blessing in disguise for this early season period. I think he'd really struggle against the swinging ball with the bat, whereas later in July/August he should enjoy the Oval pitches greatly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Apr - 0:59

Just seen the news about Elgar - that's excellent!

Things starting to look much brighter.

Pretty much agree with Olly about the eleven to play Hants. Not sure though if Morkel will be fit for that - the London Standard (which isn't a rubbish rag for cricket) suggested he might not make it. I'm at the Oval on Monday for a jolly and will try to get a word with my man then about Morkel.

If Morkel is ok, I suspect that Pillans will be pushing Meaks hard for the last bowling spot. I would also guess that today Pope has a slight edge over Patel. These individual contests give a bit more meaning to the uni game starting tomorrow.

McKerr picked up a slight strain in Dubai but I don't think it's anything serious. Dunn is fit and keen to play after about 2 years out with injuries but the Club understandably are keen for him not to overdo things. There would actually be some merit in him playing against the students and seeing how things go over the 3 days.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by James100 Fri 13 Apr - 2:11

Looks like Guildford could be right about Meaker missing out on the opening game. Both Pillans and Dunn picked ahead of him for the MCCU friendly (unless Meaker is unavailable for a reason I don't know about).

James100

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 13 Apr - 2:20

baby face axed for tomorrow Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Apr - 2:50

double post - sorry

Last edited by guildfordbat on Fri 13 Apr - 3:20; edited 1 time in total

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 13 Apr - 3:14

jimbobgooner wrote:baby face axed for tomorrow Wink

Hey - good to have you back, JimBob! Very Happy

I suspect Sam has been given an early rest in view of all the work he's got coming his way this season!

Don't know the score with Meaks - but he's done nothing special in the warm ups and was terribly out of form (or luck - or both!) when he was in New Zealand last month. He played 3 first-class matches for Auckland for a cumulative return of 1/254!! I thought he would get this game to try and blow a few students away to refind his radar. Obviously not - an opportunity anyway for Pillans and Dunn.

The one we tend to forget about for the longer format is Dernbach. I should have remembered that Stewie doesn't view him as a one-trick pony!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 14 Apr - 0:26

guildfordbat wrote:

I suspect Sam has been given an early rest in view of all the work he's got coming his way this season!

Don't know the score with Meaks - but he's done nothing special in the warm ups and was terribly out of form (or luck - or both!) when he was in New Zealand last month. He played 3 first-class matches for Auckland for a cumulative return of 1/254!! I thought he would get this game to try and blow a few students away to refind his radar. Obviously not - an opportunity anyway for Pillans and Dunn.

The one we tend to forget about for the longer format is Dernbach. I should have remembered that Stewie doesn't view him as a one-trick pony!
cheers Guildford thumbsup
full match threads start next week Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 14 Apr - 1:18

jimbobgooner wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

cheers Guildford thumbsup
full match threads start next week Yahoo

That's good to hear, JimBob. Thanks.

Don't try claiming expenses for the warm up games though! Wink

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Apr - 1:28

Lots of play so far today - fifties for Burns and Patel, and a century for Borthwick the headlines. Pope and Jacks both failed, so you have to think Patel may be in the box seat for the extra batsman slot, unless Harinath scores big.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 14 Apr - 18:35

https://twitter.com/surreycricket/status/984729405539827712?s=21

This is excellent news! My work productivity over the summer may dip Laugh
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 15 Apr - 21:06

Useful work out against Cambs.  Jacks has done himself no favours with a run of low scores in pre season friendlies but otherwise most of the batsmen and bowlers have had a useful workout.  I imagine Pope would be fairly well ahead of Patel at the moment if it comes to a straight choice between the two - he's a much more forceful player and no doubt expected to be a regular fixture in first team line up.  But I guess Patel is a real option if Stoneman is unavailable.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 17 Apr - 3:31

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:https://twitter.com/surreycricket/status/984729405539827712?s=21

p

Olly - you keep logging into this throughout the summer regardless of what your bosses say! I went to a jolly at the Oval today at which Richard Gould (CEO) reported that the Club can somehow determine how many hits the stream gets and will be reporting the results to the ECB to show the continuing interest in county cricket.

Sad old git that I am, I found that very interesting.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 17 Apr - 19:06

guildfordbat wrote:
Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:https://twitter.com/surreycricket/status/984729405539827712?s=21

p

Olly - you keep logging into this throughout the summer regardless of what your bosses say! I went to a jolly at the Oval today at which Richard Gould (CEO) reported that the Club can somehow determine how many hits the stream gets and will be reporting the results to the ECB to show the continuing interest in county cricket.

Sad old git that I am, I found that very interesting.

Would be good to see the numbers of that, I imagine quite a few will be doing similar to me and watching at work!

Hoping to make it down to the CC game starting 19th August against Lancs this year - the only one i think i can do. Might also try make it to Chelmsford for the One day cup match in late May, but that is tbc
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 18 Apr - 19:04

Olly - just to ensure you are aware, the CC game against Lancs is a day/night match starting each day at 2.00 pm. Unfortunately, I'm on holiday then and so won't be able to catch up with you. I should be able to get you a couple of tickets though.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Wed 18 Apr - 21:49

guildfordbat wrote:Olly - just to ensure you are aware, the CC game against Lancs is a day/night match starting each day at 2.00 pm. Unfortunately, I'm on holiday then and so won't be able to catch up with you. I should be able to get you a couple of tickets though.

Cheers Guildford - i'm aware, the 2pm start is great because it'll allow me to get down for start of play on the Sunday, rather than having to come the night before. I also want to see what attending a day/night game is like, its something me and my mates are considering doing for tests next year!

If you are able to get me a couple of tickets that would be great - if not no worries - a shame you won't be around, I'll have to barter my way into the pavilion and any meetings with Alec Stewart rather than be with a local celeb Wink Wink
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr - 6:58

alfie wrote:Unfortunately for you Surrey types he might not be fit for the start of the season now...those side strains take a while to come good (I know !)

We should have listened more to Alfie .... and perhaps the Club should have done as well.

Reported by the Club tonight that Morkel is on ''a back to bowling fitness programme with the hope of featuring for the Club by the start of June''.

It's been a open secret that he wouldn't make the CC opener at home to Hants on Friday. However, him being out for the rest of this month and next month is a major surprise and even bigger concern.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 19 Apr - 23:54

Message to JimBob

Surrey squad is on website but well hidden. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 20 Apr - 1:41

guildfordbat wrote:Message to JimBob

Surrey squad is on website but well hidden. Rolling Eyes
Laugh on it Guildford thumbsup

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 20 Apr - 17:39

Guilfords gonna strangle mne for backing Surrey to take the title on the basis of their seam bowling depth ...first Curran gets poached by IPL then Morkel injured. Sorry guys

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri 20 Apr - 18:05

Goose - we're fine in terms of quantity for back -up seamers but there are question marks over the quality.

Off in hope now (if only for a pint from the Dunn family!) ... report tonight on match thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 26 Apr - 19:20

It was the Club's AGM at the Oval last night.

Predictable positive comments made about the opening win, the development of Academy players (7 of the 11 who played against Hants came through the Academy), Stewie's signing of Elgar to replace the ''absolutely devastated'' Mitch Marsh, the ''outstanding job of Gareth Batty'' (per Rory Burns) and the Club's finances.

The 100 competition was described as ''new news'' when the Club heard about it last week with all the different pieces involved forming ''a significant jigsaw''. My take is we will host games at the Oval when it happens although I do hope we will push to try and lessen any circus elements and also seek to stop further damage to Championship cricket.

As regards other items covered:
* Stewie rubbished rumours of our signing Smith or Warner.
* Alfonso Thomas (aka ''the Great Alfonso'', ex Somerset) is soon to join us on a short-term contract as a white ball bowling coach.
* My man Richard Spiller given Honorary Life Membership of the Club for his objective journalism of Surrey cricket with the Surrey Ad over many years. He left the Ad last year and is now working with the Club, mainly on features about the past.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Fri 27 Apr - 7:13

Thanks for the update Guildford. Alfonso does sound more plausible as a bowling coach than (the great workhorse) GG Arnold!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri 4 May - 0:48

confirmed kohli signs for the month of june Very Happy

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next