The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

+64
Welly
Sgt_Pooly
LondonTiger
SirBurger
VinceWLB
mikey_dragon
yappysnap
Hazel Sapling
RiscaGame
TightHEAD
George Carlin
Pot Hale
Geordie
Maine man
Rugby Fan
propdavid_london
Heaf
Margin_Walker
lostinwales
king_carlos
B91212
englishborn
Recwatcher16
doctor_grey
SecretFly
rosbif
Mr Bounce
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
Cumbrian
broadlandboy
Cardiff Dave
dragon4life
XR
ScarletSpiderman
Collapse2005
LeinsterFan4life
carpet baboon
boomeranga
chris_501
mid_gen
Heaf2
whocares
Ozzy3213
wayne
nathan
LordDowlais
Fluxy
Exiledinborders
Scottrf
munkian
BamBam
BigGee
geoff999rugby
Luckless Pedestrian
Welshmushroom
prop_lyd
Seagultaf
No 7&1/2
HongKongCherry
beshocked
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Stone Motif
68 posters

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next

Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 4 Empty Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by George Carlin Sun 30 Jul 2017, 7:15 am

First topic message reminder :

New season, new thread.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 4 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 27 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

king_carlos wrote:Michele Rizzo is on loan with Edinburgh from Tigers. I can't find a confirmation of how long but apparently around a month. There's the Cockers connection, I was expecting a signing sooner to be honest.

From Tigers perspective I hope it doesn't become a long term move, he's an ideal understudy to Genge and a very solid loosehead.

Edinburgh are really struggling at loosehead with this following Ryan Grant riding the bench against the Falcons last night!

Agreed. We aren't that flush with propping options. Maybe MOC doesn't rate him and is looking to offload.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18 - Page 4 Empty Re: Silly Season Transfer Rumours 17/18

Post by George Carlin Sun 27 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
king_carlos wrote:Michele Rizzo is on loan with Edinburgh from Tigers. I can't find a confirmation of how long but apparently around a month. There's the Cockers connection, I was expecting a signing sooner to be honest.

From Tigers perspective I hope it doesn't become a long term move, he's an ideal understudy to Genge and a very solid loosehead.

Edinburgh are really struggling at loosehead with this following Ryan Grant riding the bench against the Falcons last night!

Agreed. We aren't that flush with propping options. Maybe MOC doesn't rate him and is looking to offload.
Edinburgh need loosies desperately - we only have 3 fit at any level.

Alasdair Dickinson is not right yet - who knows when he will be back.

Cockers is not stupid - I fully expect Rizzo to receive an offer if he comes through the fitness tests.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 27 Aug 2017, 12:34 pm

George Carlin wrote:

Edinburgh need loosies desperately - we only have 3 fit at any level.

Alasdair Dickinson is not right yet - who knows when he will be back.

Cockers is not stupid - I fully expect Rizzo to receive an offer if he comes through the fitness tests.

We have tended to move players around this summer. However, we aren't well stocked at loosehead ourselves to the extent we have Traynor on a short term deal to help cover. If Rizzo is let go I'd be expecting us to be bringing in a replacement from somewhere. 

Our options are;
Genge - young very talented but can be hot headed.
Bateman - converted hooker who has played tighthead more than loosehead.
Mulipola - versatile but will be required at tighthead early doors.
Traynor - short term signing.
Hills - academy prospect who has been hampered with injury

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 29 Aug 2017, 4:26 pm

Mourad Rolling Eyes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41080504

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:55 am

mikey_dragon wrote:Mourad Rolling Eyes

That does suck but similarly you cannot tell us that the Bjellybaby previously expressed no frustration whatsoever that a very well paid player was often not available to him?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 30 Aug 2017, 7:01 am

Missing your clubs league final is about the worst thing you can do.

EVERY player should want to play in the most important game of the season for their club. If that means joining the Lions late and training harder to make up for it then that's what you do.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:13 am

Toulon lost their final because they didn't have someone to kick their points. They paid a player handsomely to kick their points but he sodded off before the final. How well do you think the club management are going to take that?

I understand the Lions is a big deal and he wanted to be there from the get go but loyalty works both ways.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 8:54 am

Also rumours Brad Shields will sign for Northampton Saints for the 2018 season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Aug 2017, 9:03 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Also rumours Brad Shields will sign for Northampton Saints for the 2018 season.
I think it's Brussow. Our signing is coming in January, Shields is contracted until July/August?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:40 am

I see there is a new Vunipola about to be unleashed...Mako and Billys young cousin...

Manu Vunipola - a Fly half for Saracens U18 side....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:15 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41089216

The Saracens deity signs new contract till 2022.

Why I call him a deity you might ask? He's seen as one at the club.

It's funny when you have the best team in Europe only averaging 9k attendance or sad, depending on who you are.

The management still haven't realised why more people don't show up.

The answer is obvious - the team is the priority. It's why you have the situation of a very successful team but poor support.

It's the elephant in the room which is rarely talked about.

I used to be one of their most loyal supporters and I only go to 1-2 games a year now.

Should a club just be about the team and just about winning? I am not convinced it should but that's what Saracens is.

Player wise, Saracens are one of the best. It's why they do so well in the transfers. Is it enough? I'd say no.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

George Carlin wrote:

That does suck but similarly you cannot tell us that the Bjellybaby previously expressed no frustration whatsoever that a very well paid player was often not available to him?

International rugby is the bees knees, and shouldn't be held to ransom by big kids like Mourad. I would have advised Leigh to just not go to France in the first place.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:27 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

International rugby is the bees knees, and shouldn't be held to ransom by big kids like Mourad. I would have advised Leigh to just not go to France in the first place.

mikey dragon I am sorry but this comes across as bias towards Halfpenny because he's Welsh.

I am no fan of Mourad's favouring of foreign stars instead of academy products but it's him who pays Halfpenny's salary.

I agree with Sam.

Halfpenny decided to take the significant money, offered by Mourad and that means he has certain commitments.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

Scottrf wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Also rumours Brad Shields will sign for Northampton Saints for the 2018 season.
I think it's Brussow. Our signing is coming in January, Shields is contracted until July/August?

Rumour I heard is that Shields will be a signing for the 2018/19 season so when his contract expires. He's apparently EQ qualified and there are some ambitions (allegedly). Brussow might well be joining you in January, that rumour is still about as far as I know.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

mikey dragon I am sorry but this comes across as bias towards Halfpenny because he's Welsh.

I am no fan of Mourad's favouring of foreign stars instead of academy products but it's him who pays Halfpenny's salary.

I agree with Sam.

Halfpenny decided to take the significant money, offered by Mourad and that means he has certain commitments.

You're one to talk about bias mind Rolling Eyes!

Halfpenny gave his all whilst at Toulon, I don't think he can be accused of not being committed or anything. Like most he just prioritises international rugby which is the pinnacle. I thought it was also distasteful when Mourad was threatening to terminate the contract because of his knee injury.... I thought the same about his treatment of Habana, Quade Cooper, Nonu; I've sure there have been others so I'm not really biased on this one.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:42 am

Prioritising international rugby is fair reason to accuse him of not being committed to his club, no?

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

Scottrf wrote:Prioritising international rugby is fair reason to accuse him of not being committed to his club, no?

Not after he's been there a couple years training and playing week in, week out. If he didn't would that make him not at all committed to international rugby in your eyes? Where does the madness end...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I agree with Sam.

Halfpenny gave his all whilst at Toulon, I don't think he can be accused of not being committed or anything. Like most he just prioritises international rugby which is the pinnacle. I thought it was also distasteful when Mourad was threatening to terminate the contract because of his knee injury.... I thought the same about his treatment of Habana, Quade Cooper, Nonu; I've sure there have been others so I'm not really biased on this one.

Well except of course for skipping one of Toulon's biggest games of the season he was committed....

Wasn't even as if Halfpenny played well during the season and picked up an injury - he was poor in the ERCC. I am not surprised Mourad was annoyed.

You yourself admit Halfpenny's priority was not Toulon.

Scottrf well said. OK

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:54 am

beshocked wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41089216

I used to be one of their most loyal supporters and I only go to 1-2 games a year now.

Should a club just be about the team and just about winning? I am not convinced it should but that's what Saracens is.

Wow you really do have a very negative attitude towards the club you defend so strenuously....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:55 am

beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I agree with Sam.

Well except of course for skipping one of Toulon's biggest games of the season he was committed....

Wasn't even as if Halfpenny played well during the season and picked up an injury - he was poor in the ERCC. I am not surprised Mourad was annoyed.

Scottrf well said. OK

But I've given you other examples of Mourad's stupidity? If Mourad is right then surely no international player should play for their international team.... Madness.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:56 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
beshocked wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41089216

Wow you really do have a very negative attitude towards the club you defend so strenuously....
And after all the tickets they offer for £5 on Groupon.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:57 am

Theres playing for your international team, and then theres playing for your wage paying club in the key end of season games.
You need to get the balance right...Halfpenny...DIDNT!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:12 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:
beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
beshocked wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

I agree with Sam.

Scottrf well said. OK

But I've given you other examples of Mourad's stupidity? If Mourad is right then surely no international player should play for their international team.... Madness.

If you walk out on your team outside of an international window without permission then don't whine when you don't get a new contract. If you want the big money in France you have to accept that the club will want you to play in the big games. If he wanted to focus on international rugby then he needed to stay in Wales and not chase the cash. 

Mourad is a tool but it doesn't mean he isn't justified in this instance.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:27 pm

Given his treatment during his time with injury, then told he would get a new contract, only to find out he was lied to whilst on the other side of the world I think he can moan. Half the team and their previous coaches each have a case for Mourad-moaning. He's ruining rugby. I think you'd all have a few things to say about it if the player was English.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

Exactly we all know Mourad is the way he is and Halfpenny knew that when he went seeking that new contract. You can't demand the big money and then not turn up for your job. This is why there are international windows so that clubs and players have defined schedules. The nationality of the player doesn't bother me, in fact he was representing me as he was playing for the B&I Lions.

Guy Mercer joins the Ospreys on loan for the rest of the season.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:47 pm

You just hit another point Mikey..

He's been out injured for quite a while...hence not playing for his club, then as soon as he's fit...disappears off. Hardly worth it to the club for the money Morad is paying is he?

And as for "if he was English" I think most English fans would still think the same way...don't bite the hand that's feeding you...especially when you know that hand can be temperamental

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

As I said I would have advised against joining Toulon, but I'm not Halfpenny's agent.

Is Mercer any good? Don't know much about him.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:54 pm

Mercer is a fair squad player. Been around a while at Bath whilst never commanding a starting berth. He's an openside and a decent all rounder but don't expect him to be anything other than reliably solid.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 30 Aug 2017, 1:58 pm

He might be useful during those international weekends you all dislike so much. With Underhill's departure Ospreys didn't have a proper No.7 after Tipuric.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:04 pm

lequipe reckon Moriarty to the Turks next season.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Aug 2017, 6:16 pm

munkian wrote:lequipe reckon Moriarty to the Turks next season.

There's been rumours about him leaving Glaws for some time. He hasn't moved yet. It may depend how he gets on with new Glaws head coach Ruan Ackermann or on how many of the Lions Ackermann brings with him.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:12 am

munkian wrote:lequipe reckon Moriarty to the Turks next season.

There's been rumours about him leaving Glaws for some time. He hasn't moved yet. It may depend how he gets on with new Glaws head coach Ruan Ackermann or on how many of the Lions Ackermann brings with him.

Few journos on Twitter reckon its pretty much a done deal. I think if the Scarletts replicate last season's performance then it will certainly help.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 31 Aug 2017, 8:38 am

I think it's highly likely Moriarty will go. There had been speculation his injury was going to keep him out for the season, but it sounds like it'll just be a few months. Nevertheless, it leaves him little time to play under Ackermann before a decision is required. Our form over recent years has been poor and the lack of Champions Cup rugby is an issue, which is why I expect to see him move on.

Glaws have some great young talent in the backrow in the likes of Ackermann Jnr, Ludlow, Rowan and Polledri. We just need a wise old head to join them, if and when Moriarty leaves; the rumours of Jaco Kriel joining persist... Fingers Crossed

HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:14 am

Can't see Jaco Kirel leaving SA till after the 2019 RWC.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:29 am

George Lowe retires due to injury......I guess its been a long time coming as he has been plagued by injuries.
Sad as he is another one of those players that could have had more recognition than he did if not for a bit of bad luck.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 31 Aug 2017, 9:41 am

Moriarty is set to join Dragons, linking up with the returning Faletau - least that's what I read.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:01 am

Really?

I mean really?

I mean really really?

i mean really really really?

Smile

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 31 Aug 2017, 10:05 am

It's what my sources say, although these players do have a knack for agreeing to join us then changing their mind at the last minute when they get a better offer. Eben Etzebeth and Charles Piutau being prime examples.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

Scoundrels the lot of them

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:20 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:You just hit another point Mikey..

He's been out injured for quite a while...hence not playing for his club, then as soon as he's fit...disappears off. Hardly worth it to the club for the money Morad is paying is he?

And as for "if he was English" I think most English fans would still think the same way...don't bite the hand that's feeding you...especially when you know that hand can be temperamental

There's also the context that Toulon had a poor season last year, and the final was their shot at redemption. It might have seemed natural to Halfpenny to opt for Lions duty over the final but he should have stopped to consider other players who have made that choice. Nathan Hines did it in 2009, and Perpignan weren't happy. Hines joined Leinster for the following season, knowing he'd burned his bridges. If Halfpenny thought there'd be no repercussions, then he was naive. I don't think his agent did him any favours either. Toulon's owner is notoriously fickle, so that contract needed to be nailed down before his client committed to the Lions. It really shouldn't have been a bolt from the blue when it all fell through.

I've heard Toulon supporters generally think Halfpenny is a nice guy but they feel shortchanged. because most of his his injuries occurred on Test duty. That's just unlucky but it colours their attitude towards him when he pulled out of the final. Especially since Wilkinson turned down the Lions in 2013 to concentrate on getting fit for Toulon's next season.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:34 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:As I said I would have advised against joining Toulon, but I'm not Halfpenny's agent.

Is Mercer any good? Don't know much about him.

Ok squad player, but not a starter, always gets found out at top level. Tendency to give away a lot of penalties

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 31 Aug 2017, 1:50 pm

Niko Matawalu returns to his spiritual home.

Smart piece of business by Dave Rennie. He's made it clear that he is currently bottom of the pecking order for scrum halves at the moment, but that he will come in handy during the international window when Glasgow is traditionally decimated (they lost 21 players to Toonie's first international squad meeting a week ago).
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 04 Sep 2017, 3:38 pm

Rhys Webb rumoured to be joining Dan Biggar in leaving Ospreys

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

BamBam wrote:Rhys Webb rumoured to be joining Dan Biggar in leaving Ospreys

Both heading out of Wales? How will that effect Gatland's Law? 

What's going on with the Ospreys, they got an underwhelming write up at the weekend and didn't really show up at WR in preseason.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Sep 2017, 4:27 pm

Ospreys were going really well up until that loss to Stade Francais, I think they've won like one game since that (the recent one against Zebre). Any indication on where Webb is headed? If he doesn't fall under the law then Gareth Davies will go back to No.1 choice, and Patchell to play 10 if he continues in this form.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Mon 04 Sep 2017, 5:20 pm

One source is saying Saints the rest France and likely Toulon.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 04 Sep 2017, 8:44 pm

I would advise England to them, and not Toulon if they still want to play international rugby. Saracens or anyone in the top 6!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 04 Sep 2017, 9:14 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:I would advise England to them, and not Toulon if they still want to play international rugby. Saracens or anyone in the top 6!

Saracens have a conveyorbelt of 9s coming through. Not sure they'll be signing many, emphasis might have to be on re-signing players. Tigers are well stocked as are Exeter (though White didn't have a great debut) and Wasps. At Bath Kahn is getting on (35 now) and Cook is talented but has the capacity for brain farts, so that could be a possible destination. Saints well who knows what they are going for these days.

The English clubs would be equally unimpressed if their player walked out midway through the playoffs. Of course the AP owners aren't as bad as Mourad.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 04 Sep 2017, 10:08 pm

Who is this Canadian prop Jake ILnicki we've signed?

We've just thumped wasps in the A league...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 05 Sep 2017, 9:09 am

mikey_dragon wrote:I would advise England to them, and not Toulon if they still want to play international rugby. Saracens or anyone in the top 6!

Saracens have a conveyorbelt of 9s coming through. Not sure they'll be signing many, emphasis might have to be on re-signing players. Tigers are well stocked as are Exeter (though White didn't have a great debut) and Wasps. At Bath Kahn is getting on (35 now) and Cook is talented but has the capacity for brain farts, so that could be a possible destination. Saints well who knows what they are going for these days.

The English clubs would be equally unimpressed if their player walked out midway through the playoffs. Of course the AP owners aren't as bad as Mourad.

If Webb was available you're telling me none of them would want him on their books? I don't think there's a better 9 in England...

We haven't really had much trouble getting players back from England clubs, although we really should stop hosting games outside the international window.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12 ... 20  Next