The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Day 3 and Day 4

+10
barrystar
CaledonianCraig
summerblues
laverfan
sirfredperry
prostaff85
Born Slippy
lags72
Guest82
MrInvisible
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

US Open Day 3 and Day 4 - Page 2 Empty US Open Day 3 and Day 4

Post by MrInvisible Wed 30 Aug 2017, 2:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Weather permitting there's a feast of tennis on today as the organisers try to catch up after yesterday's near washout. Will the organisers do their usual trick of starting 2nd round before 1st round matches have been completed?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

US Open Day 3 and Day 4 - Page 2 Empty Re: US Open Day 3 and Day 4

Post by lags72 Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:13 pm

Some players have come up with against-all-odds, amazing displays when injured.

Maybe this could still be Youznhy's day .... albeit in the most weird scenario ....? He is actually rallying well and striking the ball cleanly.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:24 pm

Am inclined to think that even though he should now see out this match, Federer's form isn't looking good enough to take him to a SF anyway.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:33 pm

Two consecutive five-setters for the Old Man. Craziest match after serving for second set at 5-4.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Thu 31 Aug 2017, 11:44 pm

Not the most rewarding match to watch.

Youzhny was denied a famous win, having come much closer than ever before. But now 0-17, and was perhaps his last chance to get at least one for the record books.

Federer looking way below his AO & Wimbledon levels.

Meanwhile drama in Monfils v Young ........

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri 01 Sep 2017, 4:35 am

I have not seen Fed today, but it looks like another horrible performance.  I hope he finds a way to right the ship, but I am not overly hopeful.

Rafa is also looking quite poor.  It looks like he is turning this match around now, but he dropped a set against Daniel who, frankly, has no weapons.  Rafa playing way behind the baseline, and hitting a lot of short balls.  He will need to improve in the next rounds (assuming he wins tonight).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by prostaff85 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 7:32 am

summerblues wrote:I have not seen Fed today, but it looks like another horrible performance.  I hope he finds a way to right the ship, but I am not overly hopeful.

I think after winning the AO and Wimbledon, and with all the withdrawals for the USO, Federer is just trying to keep things interesting and now aiming to win all matches in 5. Has it been done before?
prostaff85
prostaff85

Back to top Go down

Post by barrystar Fri 01 Sep 2017, 9:30 am

A thoughtful but not disencouraging interview from Federer.  He is clear that the problem is not his back, but the fact that it disrupted his preparation and he is not fine-tuned to the extent that he'd like and he suggests that he'll pick up from here.  Slams help experienced players because they face a minimum of 3 sets during which they have a chance to figure it out and correspondingly their opponent has a much greater chance to get vertigo whilst trying to sustain the belief needed finish off a favourite than in a b03 crap shoot.  One thing Fed said that struck me as being bad for him, good for Nadal, and quite the opposite of what happened in Australia was this:

It's a bit slower this year

By way of illustration of the experience point, when Federer was asked about the losses by Zverev and Dimitrov and why he was able to avoid a similar defeat, he recalled the lessons he learned from being defeated by Luis Horna at Roland Garros in the first round, I had to look it up, that was back in 2003, I guess about 1,000 matches ago in his career!

I remember when I lost in the French Open the first round against Horna, I lost the first set. I looked at the match like it was a mountain to climb. I still had six matches to win the tournament. I don't know what I was looking at, but I was thinking the completely wrong thing than just let's hit the next forehand for a winner. When your mind wanders like that, it's hard. Best-of-five can sometimes do that to you. By having a very simple mindset, it keeps me very simple, keeps me grounded, humble as well.

Last edited by barrystar on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add on re horna)
barrystar
barrystar

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 01 Sep 2017, 10:39 am

Must say I thought Fed was a goner when he went two sets to one down and particularly after he failed to serve out the 4th. Youzhny had had to play two matches in two days and that may have done for him in the end.
   Seem to remember Fed wasn't that sharp at the start of the AO earlier this year, which was hardly surprising. He also managed to get thru three five-setters, with two of them coming at the end. 
   Very surprised to see Dimi knocked out but if you look at his results for this season he's had some shockers amid the good stuff. A Zverev, I thought, was a genuine contender - another awful result.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

summerblues wrote:I have not seen Fed today, but it looks like another horrible performance.  I hope he finds a way to right the ship, but I am not overly hopeful.

Rafa is also looking quite poor.  It looks like he is turning this match around now, but he dropped a set against Daniel who, frankly, has no weapons.  Rafa playing way behind the baseline, and hitting a lot of short balls.  He will need to improve in the next rounds (assuming he wins tonight).

I can't agree that Rafa is looking 'quite poor'. To me, he has sharpened up - and also seems incredibly relaxed, which is just as important as his level of play in terms of the Rafa mindset for Slams.

Ok, he certainly came out cold in that first set BUT then it was as though he just flicked a switch ...... everything started working and he romped through the next three for the loss of just seven games.

With the way the depleted field is now, I'm struggling to think who has the weapons to stop Rafa over 5 sets - other than himself, with a significant drop in standard. We know that Federer could, at his best - but the fact is he is far from his best, on current evidence. The slower court as mentioned by others is another key factor which will favour Rafa - whether vs Fed, or indeed anyone. Much discussion about this on ESPN, including reference to the fact that the Ashe court was apparently re-painted at a very late stage, and that it was done 'in camera' so to speak.  

Two most disappointing exits for me are Zverev and Dimitrov.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:11 pm

I didn't see Rafa play yesterday, but it seems he was poor at the start.

Will be very surprised if he doesn't win it now though. He has an absolute dream draw to the semi-finals now. Dimitrov and Berdych both went out yesterday...

Beating him over five sets is tough, perhaps Federer can flick a switch but that seems unlikely. Maybe Cilic if he's on can beat him in the final.

Zverev, Dimitrov and Kyrgios have all lost early and were tipped for the title by some.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

Yes, I forget about Kyrgios - he was undoubtedly another of the (now-departed) group who could have done real damage.

It's an absolute dream of a draw for Rafa, as you say. He must be licking his lips - and already getting ready to hold (or bite .....oh please, no Rolling Eyes ) that trophy.

Agree also on Cilic as the only viable threat to Rafa - other than some amazing turnaround in Federer's level. But struggling so much to get past a guy who he had comfortably beaten 16 times on the bounce ; and prior to that, a rookie ranked 70. Hmm...  not exactly Slam-winning form.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:01 pm

Lags. Agree that Fed has been decidedly underwhelming so far. But I bet the likes of Dimi and A Zverev would have settled for two comparatively poor performances and still be in the tournament.
   Not saying Fed can go all the way, but we've seen players, including Rog, struggle early on in slams and still emerge victorious. In 2012, for example, Fed was two sets down against Benneteau in the third round at Wimbledon but went on to win the whole thing.
   On occasions, guys have waltzed thru early rounds and then come a cropper when faced with their first tricky match. Murray, at Wimbledon in 2014, was totally dominant in winning his first four matches without dropping a set only to have a shocker in the quarters against Dimi.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding words)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri 01 Sep 2017, 1:48 pm

Federer's odds to win the tournament do look lower than at the start, but not by much if the back is OK.

"This match wasn't about the back, which is good. ," Federer said.
"These five-set battles are actually quite a lot of fun”
"Changing of the guard is going to come at some stage. Could very well be next year. But I still predict it's going to take a few more."

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest82 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

Henman Bill wrote:Federer's odds to win the tournament do look lower than at the start, but not by much if the back is OK.

"This match wasn't about the back, which is good. ," Federer said.
"These five-set battles are actually quite a lot of fun”
"Changing of the guard is going to come at some stage. Could very well be next year. But I still predict it's going to take a few more."

Federer was favourite for the tournament before his match yesterday - after his match Rafa was favourite and Fed second favourite.

I presume Rafa will have shortened more after winning his match.

Guest82

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

I just sense that this USO will prove a bridge too far for Federer, given his current form and vulnerability when trying to close out sets, along with the speed of the courts. I think SF is the best he can hope for.

He will be disappointed not to make it three Slams in a year, as in the good old days. But he will also be able to look back on a remarkable season overall - the sort that all players must surely dream about. In reality, few even come close at any stage of their career - and the fact
that he did it all when aged 35/36, immediately after a 6 month layoff, is quite surreal.

Last edited by lags72 on Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Fri 01 Sep 2017, 2:43 pm

Is the US Open on Sky this year?

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Fri 01 Sep 2017, 3:13 pm

Holymiky wrote:Is the US Open on Sky this year?

It's on Eurosport.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Holymiky Sat 02 Sep 2017, 11:45 am

Thanks OK

Holymiky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content