The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA

+8
RDW
BigGee
tigertattie
Biltong
demosthenes
Mad for Chelsea
George Carlin
21st Century Schizoid Man
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA Empty Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Oct 2017, 10:52 am

I stole Sergio Parisse's methodology and said "FFS I will do it myself" Here therefore, is the thread and I know it does not have any of GC's fancy-dan stuff but if Jimbo gets away with it so can I.

Anyway looks like all the big guns have arrived in SA as on Twitter via GW's official site Yahoo

Back to top Go down

Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA Empty Re: Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:19 am

Good job Schiz. Your first ever match thread?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA Empty Re: Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors, Friday 6 October 17 , Bloemfontein ,SA

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:21 am

Looking forward to this one. Should be a high scoring game going on previous form. Cheetahs have picked up a couple of tries from interceptions, so that's something Glasgow will have to be weary of. While they've shown good attacking threat, they've conceded a lot of tries in the opening five matches, and have at times looked vulnerable out wide, so that could be an area to exploit for Glasgow.

Wonder what sort of team Glasgow will put out. They managed to rest a few players last week, but will also have half an eye on the upcoming trip to Exeter.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:24 am

Judging by the picture on Twitter, Jonny Gray seems to be over there too. chin
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Looking forward to this one. Should be a high scoring game going on previous form. Cheetahs have picked up a couple of tries from interceptions, so that's something Glasgow will have to be weary of. While they've shown good attacking threat, they've conceded a lot of tries in the opening five matches, and have at times looked vulnerable out wide, so that could be an area to exploit for Glasgow.

Wonder what sort of team Glasgow will put out. They managed to rest a few players last week, but will also have half an eye on the upcoming trip to Exeter.

According to the Warriors forum, most of the first picks were on the plane to SA, so it sounds as if Rennie is going with a full strength side. And Glasgow do interceptions as well!

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

George Carlin wrote:Good job Schiz. Your first ever match thread?

Errrr... no actually. I was moderated after my last one Run

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:11 pm

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:I  stole Sergio Parisse's methodology and said "FFS I will do it myself"    Here therefore, is the thread and I know it does not have any of GC's fancy-dan stuff but if Jimbo gets away with it so can I.

Anyway looks like all the big guns have arrived in SA as on Twitter via GW's official site  Yahoo

warning warning picard picard picard

Standards, Schiz, standards.

I'll explain the correct uses of informational interweb technology when we meet up in Execeterr. If my satnav accepts the destination, this time.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:24 pm

Surely Exeter is on sat nav ? Shocked Although yours is probably a clockwork version laughing Anyway where TF is that wee bawbag Bru ?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:37 pm

Ah picard I was shouting "A decent boozer near Sandy Park" at it.

The Bru is very busy doing unspeakably repugnant things. You'll hear all about it in person: best keep your wee mad mental pal Tam away from him at that point. Honest.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:49 pm

Yikes ! Wee Tam is so clearly demented that he appears normal but when he starts to pull the collar of his shirt someone usually gets a dull one. Just saying for info ! Run

Anyway looks like DR is bringing out the big guns for the Cheetahs

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 02 Oct 2017, 6:15 pm

Yes, we all may have our theories about the effects of inter-continental travel and playing at altitude but Renzo has done this a few times and his theories will be grounded in practical experience. So I'll shut up. censored

However, there are a few players who have featured very heavily over the first five games and will need to be rested soon. I would rather they were rested this week and available for Execeterr and the Ladyboys.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon 02 Oct 2017, 11:56 pm

Cheetah defence remains a big concern
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 03 Oct 2017, 10:41 am

Biltong wrote:Cheetah defence remains a big concern

Bil, how the devil are you?

You getting more involved with our incoherent ramblings now your homeland has two teams in the league?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 04 Oct 2017, 5:45 pm

Well it would appear our players have resisted the temptation to pet a wild animal, especially one as dangerous as a lion Shocked We still face a strong Cheetahs side on Friday, Looks like DR is putting all his eggs into the Pro 14 basket but with a big pool of players who knows ? Not sure of what tactics should be employed here ? Jimbo you are a master rugby strategist wtf would you do ?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 04 Oct 2017, 7:08 pm

1) Keep away from the Lions enclosure.
2) They like to play a fast, high tempo game: slow it down when we don't have the ball, take all the pace out of it, make them kick. They will kick to keep it in play so look to hit them on the counter. Sarto-Jackson-Seymour back three. (Though possibly Jones at 15 as Jacko needs a rest.
3) They like to smash it up the middle to soften you up before going wide: Big Bad Bob to start. Possibly Brian and Cummings to give a bit of ballast. I have a sneaky feeling Jonny might be benching, he's over there and if it's at all possible, even ten minutes on the field would make him a possible for Exeter.
4) A kicking game from the 10. Keep them pinned back and strangle them(see point one). I would be tempted to start Thompson, he knows the conditions and has played there before.
5) Pick a bench with lots of pace: teams tend to tire in the last 20, mainly due to altitude, so have subs who can inject some pace.
Bench; Bhatti, Brown, Nicol, Gray (I know), Wilson, Matawalu, Jackson & Russell.
So
1) Allan
2) Turner
3) Fagerson
4) Cummings
5) Brian
6) Harley
7) 1/2 Mullet
8) Ashe
9) Henners
10) Thompson
11) Sarto
12) Johnson
13) Grigg (I believe we are down to two fit centres Shocked )
14) Seymour
15) Jones

I think you're right; Renzo seems to pick the best 23 available that day. Rotation doesn't seem to figure too prominently.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 04 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

tigertattie wrote:
Biltong wrote:Cheetah defence remains a big concern

Bil, how the devil are you?

You getting more involved with our incoherent ramblings now your homeland has two teams in the league?

Hi mate, yeah I drop in a little now and then Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

Glasgow Warriors team to play Toyota Cheetahs in the Guinness PRO14 at the Toyota Stadium, Friday 6 October, live on BBC ALBA (kick-off 7.35pm UK time). You can also follow the action on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

15. Ruaridh Jackson (118)
14. Tommy Seymour (103)
13. Nick Grigg (25)
12. Sam Johnson (27)
11. Leonardo Sarto (11)
10. Finn Russell (67)
9. Ali Price (46)

1. Jamie Bhatti (11)
2. Fraser Brown (65)
3. Zander Fagerson (54)
4. Tim Swinson (102)
5. Jonny Gray (73)
6. Ryan Wilson (131) CAPTAIN
7. Callum Gibbins (3)
8. Adam Ashe (43)

Replacements

16. Geroge Turner (4)
17. Alex Allan (54)
18. D’Arcy Rae (28)
19. Brian Alainu’uese (20)
20. Rob Harley (165)
21. Henry Pyrgos (130)
22. Peter Horne (121)
23. Niko Matawalu (76)

Unavailable players: Rory Hughes (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (head), Lelia Masaga (calf), James Malcolm (ankle), Alex Dunbar (knee), Stuart Hogg (shoulder), Oli Kebble (foot), Paddy Kelly (ankle), Ratu Tagive (achilles), Richie Vernon (achilles) and Samuela Vunisa (knee).

Glasgow team is up and Johnny G is back!

Him and Frazer Brown in at hooker give the team a fair bit more physicality than some of the previous games.

Lee Jones and Scott Cummings have played 5 games and get their rest period.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

A lot of those players will have played almost every game this season - is he going to be resting them during the ERCC?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

Gray straight into the starting team is a bold call, but presumably the coaches are comfortable with what they've seen from him in practice. Great to have him back anyway!

Considering who's available, that's Glasgow's best XV (and best bench too), so clearly DR looking for a statement.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:11 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:A lot of those players will have played almost every game this season - is he going to be resting them during the ERCC?

In the more competitive positions maybe.

The only back to have played in every game now is Jacko and he will get a rest when Hoggy returns soon.

None of the forwards have started every game, though I think that Bhatti and Swinson has been in the squad for each one.

This shows the value of having a decent squad, which for Glasgow is undoubtedly stronger than last year.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 05 Oct 2017, 12:18 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:Gray straight into the starting team is a bold call, but presumably the coaches are comfortable with what they've seen from him in practice. Great to have him back anyway!

Considering who's available, that's Glasgow's best XV (and best bench too), so clearly DR looking for a statement.

Certainly not far off our best team.

Hoggy and Dunbar will certainly be in it and Jonsey when he finally gets here.

There is a pretty argument for Cummings being on the bench and he may well be next week, Lee Jones will have some case to do so as well.

Keeble would probably be the starting LH and the new Tongan prop could be in the mix as well, though Rae is doing a pretty decent job for what it is worth.

It is certainly a pretty strong team though and will be close to the one playing next weekend, injuries aside.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Thu 05 Oct 2017, 1:11 pm

I did say "considering who's available" Wink

What's the latest about Huw Jones anyway?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 05 Oct 2017, 1:15 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:I did say "considering who's available" Wink

What's the latest about Huw Jones anyway?

Should be joining up after the AIs when the Currie Cup is done and dusted, as will the Tongan Prop from NZ.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 05 Oct 2017, 1:20 pm

A very strong starting XV.
Jackson starting Headscratch
By my reckoning that means he has to be rested next week, or if he can play next week he must miss the Ladboys match, then.
Mind you, Hoggy could be available for next week. Yahoo

Part of me is glad to see such a strong starting XV, but part of me worries about what sort of team we'll put out next week.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 05 Oct 2017, 1:47 pm

Jacko is probably not seen as a Scotland regular, so the resting rules may not apply to him anyway. It is not as if he has been overplayed the past couple of years in any case and you don't get the same kind of battering at FB as you do in the pack.

Either way, as Jimbo suggests, expect Hoggy to slip into the side at some stage over the next couple of weeks.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 05 Oct 2017, 5:00 pm

JG back is just tremendous for us. Its strange but you miss his name every time afin the last 5 weeks - you just expect it to be the first name written down. Can see Leo Sarto having some influence in this game perhaps with some late Madman too Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:02 am

Just to confirm, this game is live on Alba tonight.

(seeing it's not been included in the original thread coz slacker Schiz didn't bother)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:36 am

I'm looking forward to this game more than I have any other for long time...
It will be really interesting how we deal with altitude, and with playing a team from a Heartland like the Free State.
I'm backing us to win, as their defence has been poor in the games I've seen, but I think we will need a good cushion going into the last 20 mins. JG will be looking to make a statement. Jackson will struggle against their backthree in open space, but we should have more than enough in attack.

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

It's a shame Hugh Dan is on Gaelic duty tonight.... nothing against the language, but I can't speak it and he's turning into one of my favourite commentators. During the Munster game he produced some of old-school phrases that I haven't heard for 20 years or so!

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 06 Oct 2017, 10:54 am

Last Pro14 game for Sergeal Petersen apparently.. hugely disappointing.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:48 am

furra_linee wrote:It's a shame Hugh Dan is on Gaelic duty tonight.... nothing against the language, but I can't speak it and he's turning into one of my favourite commentators. During the Munster game he produced some of old-school phrases that I haven't heard for 20 years or so!

He's a great commentator but they do need him for the Gaelic channel as there's few and far between Gaelic speakers for the Beeb to choose from. I've watched some Gaelic programs on Alba (that aren't rugby) and they truly are awful! Its purely down to the size of the talent pool. The exact same thing happens with STV Edinburgh. How that channel survives is beyond me! Alba is funded by the TV license but STV Edinburgh is a commercial channel and there can only be a handful of people watching it at any one time!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 06 Oct 2017, 2:50 pm

tigertattie wrote:
furra_linee wrote:It's a shame Hugh Dan is on Gaelic duty tonight.... nothing against the language, but I can't speak it and he's turning into one of my favourite commentators. During the Munster game he produced some of old-school phrases that I haven't heard for 20 years or so!

He's a great commentator but they do need him for the Gaelic channel as there's few and far between Gaelic speakers for the Beeb to choose from. I've watched some Gaelic programs on Alba (that aren't rugby) and they truly are awful! Its purely down to the size of the talent pool. The exact same thing happens with STV Edinburgh. How that channel survives is beyond me! Alba is funded by the TV license but STV Edinburgh is a commercial channel and there can only be a handful of people watching it at any one time!

Kind of also raises the point of why have the games on that channel at all. In the 2011 census 57,375 people spoke it - and I wonder how many of them are Rugby fans - as the majority are no where near Edinburgh or Glasgow

Some of the lowest rated were found in Angus, Midlothian and Fife, where just 0.7% of residents were familiar with Gaelic. - This is also a real indicator of Rugby and Gaelic not being compatiable

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Oct 2017, 3:02 pm

On one hand we shouldn't complain about BBC Alba given they are the only ones showing these games, but Gaelic in rugby has absolutely no correlation and (despite the SNP trying to say otherwise / spend lots of money on road signs) Gaelic is a dying language spoken by a tiny % of the population, and a language that was only ever really spoken in the highlands.

Given that BBC Scotland pay for BBC Alba it would really make sense just to have the games on BBC Scotland.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:26 pm

Remember this is what brought the Catalan situation to a head (language and its supression)and we have moved on since the 12th Century (a wee bit) when Gaelic was the national language but I kind of get your point. Hugh Dan the Heedrum-Hodrum man is a legend and he really does know his rugby - even if I suspect he has a soft spot for The Luvvies.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

Don't get me wrong Hugh Dan is a legend and a really entertaining commentator OK

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Fri 06 Oct 2017, 4:58 pm

tigertattie wrote:Just to confirm, this game is live on Alba tonight.

(seeing it's not been included in the original thread coz slacker Schiz didn't bother)

So who is the feckin lazy one when you can't even press some buttons on yer remote to find out huh ? furious

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 06 Oct 2017, 5:19 pm

My inner and outer worlds have finally collided RedWine

I've been walking round all day singing
We've got Niko in a fever
Hotter than a pepper sprout
he's been coming to Scotstoun
ever since the jury went out

When he rolls into that Scotstoun

Luvvies gonna stoop and bow
All those jessies gonna ask him
to teach them what they don't know how

Well Niko's home in Scotstoun
Fizzing like a fuse on a powder keg
When the Luvvies come to Scotstoun
He'll lead Gilchrist round
like scalded hound
with his tale tied between his legs

Oh he's come to Scotstoun
He's gonna have some fun
he'll be flying around
with both feet off the ground
Scotstoun's  prodigal son

We've got Niko in a fever
he's hotter than a pepper sprout
he's been pining for Scotstoun
ever since the jury went out.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:36 pm

Peter Wright on the red button. Hope they put it on this week as wright absolutely cracks me up when he rants about officials and threatens to go down to the touch line to tell them what he thinks
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:48 pm

Cheetahs love throwing the ball about eh
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:56 pm

tigertattie wrote:Cheetahs love throwing the ball about eh
they do, but their defence is very weak.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:04 pm

Is sarto suffering from concussion? He's doing some terrible things
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:20 pm

Opportunistic try at the end of the half keeps the Cheetahs ahead
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:36 pm

Absolutely no composure from Glasgow. Line out is a nightmare
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:38 pm

Very poor refereeing at that scrum
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Gibbins just died scoring there
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:48 pm

14 point intercept there
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:15 pm

Yasssssssss! Bonus point win in SA, what a performance from the boys! WE ARE WARRIORS! clap clap clap

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:16 pm

what vision from russell

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:17 pm

what vision from russell

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 06 Oct 2017, 9:17 pm

Gibbins and Jackson pulled that back for Glasgow
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next