The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report

+4
Scottrf
yappysnap
Geordie
LondonTiger
8 posters

Go down

Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report Empty Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report

Post by LondonTiger Wed 11 Oct 2017, 1:38 pm

6 matches in, and now a break for Euro games. Seems like a good point to review the start of the season.

Saracens A+
Only team with 5 wins - at times he European Champions have looked ominously threatening. At home they have been supreme securing the maximum 15 points. Away from home not as precise, losing to Bath and failing to secure bonus points at Sixways and Philadelphia.

Exeter A
The defending champions have maintained their habit of always picking up a point. Despite losing a game more, 6 bonus points in 6 games mean they are just a single point behind Saracens. Defeats on the road to Gloucester and Leicester will have stung, especially as they dominated possession in both games. Indications that at the moment there is no pla B for when their high tempo game fails to secure points.

Northampton A
Saints have been in decline for a while, since becoming champions and things have looked stale. A complete shellacking in Round 1 must have left fans fearing for the worst, and Jim Mallinder fearing the arrival of teh P45. However four good wins immediately after saw them top the table briefly. Powerful teams will still cause them problems, but a top 4 spot is achievable come May.

Newcastle Falcons A+
For about 16 hours last month, the leagues most northerly club were able to look down on the other 11 from the top of the table. For a side whose ambitions pre-season probably extended no further than competing for top 6, this was a stunning place to be. Fans possibly still pinching themselves. There are harder times to come - but right now they are the leagues over-achievers.

Bath A-
Topped the table after beating Sarries in round 2. This was followed by a couple of poor results. When everyone is fit they are a good side, but perhaps vulnerable to injuries?

Leicester B+
Started the season with two defeats. While the first was perhaps symptomatic of their season so far with TBP chances thrown away (and with it the win) the trip to Saints was rather humbling. four decent wins since, but continue to throw away points with inaccuracy. Makings of a good team, but far too much careless work.

Harlequins B
Won 3 lost 3 and in the middle of a major injury crisis. Historically struggle in International Windows, so the next half term could be bleak. Have unearthed a gem in Marcus Smith - but will they overplay hiim?

Gloucester B
Good at home, awful away.

Sale Sharks C
Not as good as Glaws at home, just as bad away. Look good when their pack fronts up - otherwise are lightweight.

Wasps E
So close to becoming champions, they have looked rudderless for much of the season.

London Irish D
Good win in round 1, otherwise they have seemed to only start playing once the game is lost. Defence is far too porous.

Worcester F
Have been woeful. Defence poor, struggle to score points and have secured just a single LBP. Can the return of Hougaard revitalise them yet again?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report

Post by Geordie Wed 11 Oct 2017, 2:27 pm

Yeah fair call about us.

Still say achieving top 6 is the goal whilst trying to bring more consistency into our attacking high risk game.

The real bonus, is our points scoring efficiency. Over the years as Deans plans start to come to fruit, we left so many points out there because we created lots of chances, now however we are scoring those chances!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report Empty Re: Aviva Premiership - Mid Term Report

Post by yappysnap Thu 12 Oct 2017, 8:39 pm

I agree with all of those.

International windows could be horrible for Quins. So could trying to compete in Europe, I hope we don't focus too much on it tbh. I'd take top 6 in the league then Euro play offs.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm

My appraisal in the OP was done after 6 games - interesting how much change there has been in the 4 games since. If I was scoring teh AP season now over the whole 10 games, taking into account resources available, it would probably be:

Exeter A+
Gloucester A
Saracens B
Bath B
Wasps B
Leicester B
Quins B-
Newcastle B
Sale B-
Northampton D
Worcester D+
Irish D-

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 13 Dec 2017, 12:15 pm

Sad

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 13 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Agree, we've slumped a little....but that performance v Bordeaux was pretty special. Hopefully we've found a little form again.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed 13 Dec 2017, 3:45 pm

I don't think you can read too much in to Challenge Cup games. we smashed Stade Francais at their place which on paper is a great result, but doesn't then reflect on league performances unfortunately.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 13 Dec 2017, 5:42 pm

LondonTiger wrote:My appraisal in the OP was done after 6 games - interesting how much change there has been in the 4 games since. If I was scoring teh AP season now over the whole 10 games, taking into account resources available,  it would probably be:

Exeter A+
Gloucester A
Saracens B
Bath B
Wasps B
Leicester B
Quins B-
Newcastle B
Sale B-
Northampton D
Worcester D+
Irish D-
In general I agree. I think Worcester may be a little higher based upon their last two wins to put themselves above London Irish. Their form has seemed better in recent games.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 13 Dec 2017, 7:01 pm

stnick88 wrote:I don't think you can read too much in to Challenge Cup games. we smashed Stade Francais at their place which on paper is a great result, but doesn't then reflect on league performances unfortunately.

It's not so much the result but the way we played. The offloading and attacking play was superb. Bordeaux put a good side out and looked dangerous with the young 10, Falcons had to play well to beat them.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 13 Dec 2017, 7:16 pm

Glaws can't be an A as we're only 2nd and lost 57-10 to Sale! Wink

After the last several years of false dawns the loss of May appeared to be the final straw, but it really is good fun being a supporter at the moment. No disrespect to Irish but it was a rather good feeling coming away from a 5 point win moaning that we could have been better!

I don't want to get carried away, but with the rumoured signing of Jaco Kriel and with our youngsters leading from the fore we seem to be in a good position.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Mon 18 Dec 2017, 10:15 am

well you were playing against 14 men for over half the game so you probably could have won by more.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 21 Dec 2017, 10:22 am

Betting men: Handicap is -6 for Exeter against Saints. Good value IMO.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 22 Dec 2017, 8:50 pm

Scottrf wrote:Betting men: Handicap is -6 for Exeter against Saints. Good value IMO.
You don't think Saints are going to surprise everyone with a massive effort showing the world they still have a lot of quality and a lot of pride throughout the team?  

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Sat 23 Dec 2017, 9:34 am

doctor_grey wrote:
Scottrf wrote:Betting men: Handicap is -6 for Exeter against Saints. Good value IMO.
You don't think Saints are going to surprise everyone with a massive effort showing the world they still have a lot of quality and a lot of pride throughout the team?  
I really don't.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down