The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha

+4
Eyetoldyouso
Galted
JuliusHMarx
Hero
8 posters

Go down

Semi Final 1 - Vote for 2!

Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_lcap32%Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]
Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_lcap32%Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 12 ]
Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_lcap16%Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 6 ]
Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_lcap20%Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 38

Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Empty Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha

Post by Hero Wed 25 Oct 2017, 10:26 pm

So we're down to the 8 Greatest Musical Acts of the last 100 Years and they are...

The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Prince
Pink Floyd
David Bowie
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Fleetwood Mac

And the draw pulls out the following four for the first semi...

The Rolling Stones
Jimi Hendrix
Pink Floyd
Fleetwood Mac

Last edited by Hero on Fri 27 Oct 2017, 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Empty Re: Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Oct 2017, 9:13 am

The other group is the Group of Death, imho.
Here, I'll go for Fleetwood Mac (both PG and APG) as first choice - just more my type of music, and a big fan of Stevie Nicks.
Harder to decide on the second one - think I'll go for Hendrix.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha Empty Re: Greatest Musical Artist of the last 100 Years - Semi Final Alpha

Post by Galted Thu 26 Oct 2017, 9:20 am

Went for Fleetwood Mac and Pink Floyd as I used to drink in a pub called the Fleetwood and my balls go pink in a hot bath.

If there were a poll for the best named semi-final in an online music poll it would have to go to this one.  Bloody brilliant.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

Based on the title of the poll - greatest musical artist ...., I immediately ruled out Fleetwood Mac, as I have done in every other round. If the poll is is performer/producer of greatest album in last 100 years - then Fleetwood Mac is definitely a runner.

As for the other 3 - imo, longevity must be a factor - so that rules out Hendrix. Influence on musical genres - also rules out Hendrix over the other 2.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:12 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add - are we not just wasting a lot of time to get to The Beatles? Unfortunately we have already lost Elvis Presley who, although I am no great fan, was the greatest musical artist of the last 100 years. How about Al Jolson, Mario Caruso, Luciano Pavarotti (I actually prefer Placido Domingo) or Maria Callas.

Eyetoldyouso

Derek Smalls likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:36 pm

Eyetoldyouso wrote:Sorry, I forgot to add - are we not just wasting a lot of time to get to The Beatles? Unfortunately we have already lost Elvis Presley who, although I am no great fan, was the greatest musical artist of the last 100 years. How about Al Jolson, Mario Caruso, Luciano Pavarotti (I actually prefer Placido Domingo) or Maria Callas.

I hope not. Always felt they were over-rated.

Says alot when Presley, Jackson, and a few others have gone at the expense of Hendrix, who arguably only did a small amount to influence music.

Wonder if it's down to the Group draws.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:40 pm

Hendrix had a huge influence on rock music especially live performances, he had such a reputation that every other band of the time upped their game to try and compete with him.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by Beer Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:08 pm

That's one genre though, you could argue others influenced far greater numbers.

Beer

Location : 'Whose kids are these? And how'd they get in my Lincoln?'

Back to top Go down

Post by LionsV2 Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:17 pm

I wouldn't exactly say that Michael Jackson was overly influential, he combined various genres but wasn't exactly a revolutionary; rock music makes up over 35% of yearly record sales.

LionsV2

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 26 Oct 2017, 2:25 pm

Hendrix influenced, and continues to influence, multiple genres - rock, jazz, soul, even modern classical music. Probably moreso than the other artists in this group.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 26 Oct 2017, 3:52 pm

Wasnt Elvis a bit of a diddler aswell?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 26 Oct 2017, 4:49 pm

Not quite at Savile level but did prefer them fairly illegal.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Derek Smalls Sun 17 Jul 2022, 2:13 am

Elvis was a dirty pervert. He strung along a lot of 14 year olds ( including Priscilla of course). The new film glosses over this. But you can't understand popular music without trying to understand Elvis
Derek Smalls
Derek Smalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down