The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher

+8
McLaren
Shotrock
raycastleunited
GPB
pedro
SmithersJones
super_realist
kwinigolfer
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Nov 2017, 6:40 pm

1).The Tour travels south of the border this week, from Las Vegas to Mayakoba, the 6th of 7 autumn events before the "Holidays" break.
We also have the final action of the Champions Tour season, and the continuation of Stage 2 web.com Q-School.

2).A funny old finish to last week's Shriners Las Vegas Open; strong winds which were widely forecast for Sunday's play stayed away until the final few holes, by which time it looked as if the winning score from golf's young guns would be about 12 under par. Alex Cejka posted an early 9 under, then hung around as a breeze finally picked up and the leaders fell apart, leaking oil, hubcaps flying, wheels well and truly off; all of which may have caused the dozens of multiple winners in the field to wonder why their leaderboard-experience had been wasted.
Eventually Cantlay joined Whee Kim and Cejka in a yawn of a play-off, winning with the only par in, collectively, six holes.

3).Cantlay burst onto the scene six years ago with top 25 finishes in each of the first four Tour events he played, including a second round 60 at The Travelers. Playing sporadically he reached 176th in the 2013 owgr's but injuries dogged him thereafter until he returned with a vengeance last season.
He's up to 42 in the world rankings now and will continue a meteoric rise up the owgr charts, very likely to be a Top Ten golfer by the end of 2018 as his tournaments-played "divisor" is still only 14. (By comparison Rahm's divisor is 37.)
Perhaps by then he'll've learned to make it look as if he's enjoying himself.

4).Graeme McDowell registered his first Top Ten (just, T10) for fifteen months, hopefully the sign of better things to come as he returns to Mayakoba where he won in 2015.

5).robopz mentioned the apparent "futility" of Thomas Pieters' work in the Far East, no Top 25's in his first three tournaments as a PGA Tour member. But he DID register 3 starts . . . . . . all in limited field events!
So, how are the newly minted double dippers doing, as measured by FedEx Cup points in a season when 400 points (and probably a few less) will secure membership for another season?:
196 pts: Casey (in 3 tournaments)
175: Uihlein (3) (Assume he'll keep his ET card as long as it doesn't impair his ability to compete in the US.)
67: Hatton (1)
48: Fleetwood (1)
42: Pieters (3)
27: Noren (1)
6: Fisher (1)

6).San Diego natives, both getting on in years by Tour standards, won two of the last three "OHL Classics" at Mayakoba.
Charlie Hoffman & Pat Perez have both enjoyed a late-career resurgence since, including a further win apiece. Hoffman's earned over $9M in the last three years since his win, whilst Perez has banked more than $5M in the last 12 months.
The Greg Norman-designed course receives good reviews so perhaps it's a little surprising that more top players don't escape to Playa Del Carmen. But Rickie Fowler DID make the trip; perhaps in response to the requirement that pros compete in an event they don't usually play in?

7).Bernhard Langer is going for a hat-trick of Play-Off wins at Phoenix CC, site of the season-ending Charles Schwab Cup Championship. Amazingly, St.Bernhard has never anchored this particular tournament but is going for his fourth Cup, fifth in all, and each coming with a $1M annuity. He's a machine.

8).Finally, Tiger Woods is giving the game away a little as he advocates the Golf powers that be to rein in the distance achieved by the golf ball. Seems he's spent time next to Justin Thomas on the driving range, realised he can't compete for the distance that's becoming commonplace on today's PGA Tour. Can you imagine an in-his-prime Tiger suggesting such a thing? No, thought not!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Tue 07 Nov 2017, 7:33 pm

8) I wonder why 9C would be doing that? What a transparent loser he really is these days. If he's already got that attitude before even discovering whether he "needs more reps" then he's already beaten.

Perhaps he and Olazabal can form a Cripples Tour, for old knackered golfers.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: South of the Border: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by SmithersJones Tue 07 Nov 2017, 9:01 pm

Thanks Kwini. Any tips for who to follow at Maykoba, I'm lucky enough to be there on Sunday?
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Nov 2017, 9:24 pm

Wow, That sounds quite a trip.
Last year my son was planning to fly down for the tournament and robopz offered some very helpful tips - send him a pm and no doubt he'll be happy to pass on some ideas.

As for the golfers, I can't get into the rhythm of the season so far but Knox and Harris English would be strong tips except both are playing like a drain right now. They say it's a ball-strikers course, but no real idea. Form horse would be Ryan Armour; how long can he keep it going?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:42 pm

Friends got married in PdC 10 years ago, now live in Canada. Going back for 10th anniversary as good chance to see them again. Noticed Mayakoba is on, $60 for a Heineken hospitality ticket that includes beer & snacks all day seemed too good to miss. Only drawback is we're bound to be surrounded by the bababooey boys by the end of the day!!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:57 pm

I was in PdC 10-12 years ago as well and thought it was great. At that time it was a bit more classy than most of the other (Americanised) holiday destinations in the Carribbean. But heard it has changed massively since. Tulum was a cool place to hang out as well. Enjoy, Smithers.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 07 Nov 2017, 10:58 pm

Looks a fabulous place. Enjoy eh?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 08 Nov 2017, 3:20 pm

Not long now before princedrac does his extrapolation of the Official World Golf Ranking as at Dec 31st 2017 - also known as a qualifying criteria for an invite from Augusta and the Hooties.

I'd guess that Branden Grace, at #44, is the highest-ranked golfer in any sort of jeopardy of missing the boat. He plays this week's NedBank and, presumably, Dubai, so can make or break his invitation but his range of owgr positions is very tight, a bad finish would see him slide about four places overnight.
Others in the Top 65 who may be at risk of not making it include:

#46: Snedeker: Sliding down the rankings due to injury-induced inaction. But he won't be adding to his "divisor" either - touch and go for Brandt, a golfer to whom the Masters means even more than most.

#50: Bill Haas: Not playing Mayakoba but will likely turn up at next week's RSM Classic.

#54: Poulter: Playing NedBank and hopefully Dubai. And you know that he wants another go @ Augusta.

#56: Uihlein: Playing Nedbank and, presumably, Dubai.

#57: Tanihara: Playing Nedbank and, presumably, Dubai.

#60: Lahiri: Playing Mayakoba. Not sure about RSM.

#61: Charlie Howell: Idle this week. Imagine the Augusta native will play RSM, but he has a habit of just missing out on the Top 50 and, until he starts turning Top Tens into W's, that'll continue.
EDIT: CHIII IS playing Mayakoba and will make the cut - needs a terrific weekend to gain much ground though.

#62: Kodaira: Don't know if he's playing in Japan this week.

#63: Grillo: Playing Mayakoba and, if he'd shown any recent form, you'd've thought he'd have a good chance. Not sure about RSM.

#64: Westwood: Playing Nedbank and, presumably, Dubai but is turning Top Tens into Top 20's. Not good enough unfortunately.

#65: Keegan Bradley: Not playing this week.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Sat 11 Nov 2017, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 09 Nov 2017, 12:29 am

Kodaira is playing Japan this week but a win this week would still leave him about 10 pts short of the top 50.

There is actually quite a spread between OWGR #50 and OWGR #60. Westwood has to win Nedbank to crack the Top 50. 2nd place won't be enough

Sneds at #44 has a reasonable chance to stay in the the Top 50. Assuming he doesn't play RSM next week, he is losing two tournaments in his divisor (two tourneys where he missed the cut). His ending OWGR avg will be about 2.3 which is generally not enough, but the spread is a little different this year

Sneds has been posting some videos on Twitter, so he is on the mend. He might even play RSM next week, I think he owns a house at Sea Island.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Nov 2017, 3:45 am

GPB wrote:Kodaira is playing Japan this week but a win this week would still leave him about 10 pts short of the top 50.

There is actually quite a spread between OWGR #50 and OWGR #60.  Westwood has to win Nedbank to crack the Top 50.  2nd place won't be enough

Sneds at #44 has a reasonable chance to stay in the the Top 50.  Assuming he doesn't play RSM next week, he is losing two tournaments in his divisor (two tourneys where he missed the cut).  His ending OWGR avg will be about 2.3 which is generally not enough, but the spread is a little different this year

Sneds has been posting some videos on Twitter, so he is on the mend.  He might even play RSM next week, I think he owns a house at Sea Island.

Agree about Westwood, but top finishes in both SA and Dubai will do the trick too.
And Sneds might be well advised to keep a close eye on pd's projections before teeing it up at RSM. But he should be OK anyway what with his favourite West Coast tournaments on his early agenda.

And: I see that Phil will start his season at the Bob Hope and play all the West Coast events + WGC-Mexico.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 09 Nov 2017, 12:13 pm

Great writing as always Kwini.

kwinigolfer wrote:
5).robopz mentioned the apparent "futility" of Thomas Pieters' work in the Far East, no Top 25's in his first three tournaments as a PGA Tour member. But he DID register 3 starts . . . . . . all in limited field events!

He earned $130k. Not earth shattering or life changing, but a decent return for 3 weeks work. I'd take it!

kwinigolfer wrote:
7).Bernhard Langer is going for a hat-trick of Play-Off wins at Phoenix CC, site of the season-ending Charles Schwab Cup Championship. Amazingly, St. Bernhard has never anchored this particular tournament but is going for his fourth Cup, fifth in all, and each coming with a $1M annuity. He's a machine.

Masterful  clap

kwinigolfer wrote:
8).Finally, Tiger Woods is giving the game away a little as he advocates the Golf powers that be to rein in the distance achieved by the golf ball. Seems he's spent time next to Justin Thomas on the driving range, realised he can't compete for the distance that's becoming commonplace on today's PGA Tour. Can you imagine an in-his-prime Tiger suggesting such a thing? No, thought not!

Surely, reining in the distance the golf ball travels plays into the hands of the bombers? It's the average hitters who benefit most from the extra distance, these guys all reach par fives in 2 today. Reduce the aerodynamics of the ball and potentially we would revert to the days when only the big hitters can get on par fives in 2 etc.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Nov 2017, 1:44 pm

Cheers ray,
Good money for Pieters, but cash is probably only 3rd in the rank of important currencies for the leading pros behind owgr points and FedEx/R2D points.
"Double-dippers" will presumably plan to play at least two of the FedEx Cup Play Off tournaments when mapping out their schedule, and limited field events are easy pickings, especially CIMB and CJ Cup, weak fields with generous (and guaranteed) points pay-outs. By that yardstick, it's opportunity wasted - doubt we'll see him again before Riviera and he'll be well down the FedEx charts then. Still three WGC's to go though.

Re Tiger, perhaps he doesn't see himself as a "big hitter" any more . . . . . . .

No-one setting Mayakoba on fire this morning, Matt Every in the early lead - should be fair weather for the week, just the chance of seasonal showers, relatively calm.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

Don't know much about Keith Mitchell but he IS en fuego, started on the Par-3 10th with a hole-in-one, then birdied the 11th. That'll do nicely, can he keep it going? 49 watch!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 09 Nov 2017, 2:52 pm

I once started eagle, birdie (1st at my course is a par 5). 9 points after 2 holes! Then on the par three 3rd I almost had a hole in one... flushed a 5 iron which pitched less than a foot from the hole, finished 4 feet past behind the hole. Missed the birdie putt though... It went downhill from there.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 09 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Great writing as always Kwini.

kwinigolfer wrote:

He earned $130k. Not earth shattering or life changing, but a decent return for 3 weeks work. I'd take it!

I would take it too, but he was guaranteed $75K for just playing! I would not think he is pleased with his results.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Nov 2017, 6:52 pm

Brian Davis, Knox, McDowell and Power the only GB&I golfers playing Mayakoba.
Power in with a 70 (-1), but the other three all off to modestly good starts in the afternoon wave.

If I understand the "medical extensions" rules correctly, this is the last chance for Davis to retrieve his card and he pretty much needs to win - I'm guessing he's back to the web.com Tour if/when he misses out, but he might have some status in the "reshuffle" category.

Something completely different:
This month's Golf Digest Undercover Pro talked about "apparel" contracts and reckoned that, as a winner (but apparently not multiple winner), he only expects to receive $15K - $20K for wearing specific clobber. Though he did say that superstars might get $1M+, he seemed to be saying that his swag was about the norm for pros of his status - I'd've expected quite a bit more, but apparently not.
Makes you wonder whether such a relatively small sum is worth the self-respect of some guys (especially Nike!) to dress the way they're paid to.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Nov 2017, 7:55 pm

A number of my clients sponsor pro golfers and those numbers are not a surprise to me.

I think they look at the self respect issue very differently, Kwin!

They would probably plaster on a logo of just about anyone rather than walk to the first tee without a logo. They want to look like they are in demand.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:20 pm

I think it's more refreshing when you see someone like Robert Rock who doesn't seem to care much for sponsors or even that guy who wore a shirt and tie/cardigan combo (Ryan Moore?, even though his outfit looked stupid with the addition of a cap, like wearing a top hat when wearing a football strip)

MOst golfers would unfortunately wear anything. Paul Lawrie for example wear the Farmfoods logo, which for the benefit of the colonials is just about the cheapest, most gypo and least desirable shop you could possibly imagine, let alone want to be associated with. Paul's not short of money judging by his golf centre.

Last edited by super_realist on Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:25 pm

I was at a client lunch along with the logo'd professional (will go unnamed). The client was prodding him about not making the cuts and wondering (aloud) why he was spending all this money for the small Thursday and Friday audiences. He was kidding ... sort of!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 09 Nov 2017, 8:29 pm

Shotrock wrote:A number of my clients sponsor pro golfers and those numbers are not a surprise to me.

They would probably plaster on a logo of just about anyone rather than walk to the first tee without a logo. They want to look like they are in demand.

The Mohawk CC Hall of Famer turned down a "sock"(!) endorsement because he preferred the ones he got from KMart . . . . .

Lots of low scores at Mayakoba but only Kizzire (bogeyed the last for a 62) going crazy. Davis & Knox making big numbers, going in the wrong direction.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 10 Nov 2017, 12:05 am

I wonder if we’ll ever see Phil being sponsored by a betting firm, or Sergio by KFC?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:56 am

Sean Jacklin shot Even Par 71.

He has a Scottish Flag next to his name. Tony is from England.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 3:13 am

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/sean-jacklin-to-fly-the-flag-for-scotland-1-3703468

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 1:42 pm

Further to robopz's insight that the Tour's "Colonial" stop in Fort Worth is in jeopardy with Dean & DeLuca reneging on their sponsorship contract, this article from the Fort Worth Star Telegram seems to substantiate his info:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article182206091.html

Considering the Ben Hogan legacy, and the pride "Texas" has in its golf heritage, isn't it extraordinary that no-one, either golfers or industry, has seen fit to prevent it from apparently being thrown overboard? Further credence to the notion that the Tour is only interested in 7,500 yard, bomber-friendly courses. Pebble Beach and Harbour Town beware.

Morning wave well underway at Mayakoba, everyone chasing Patton (must be one of super's favourite names) Kizzire.

Cejka and Knox are the leading Europeans, Knox having bounced back from a triple bogey Thursday to birdie five of his final six holes. More please Russell.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 10 Nov 2017, 2:10 pm

Shotrock wrote:A number of my clients sponsor pro golfers and those numbers are not a surprise to me.

Kwini I have to agree with Shotrock on this one. Most golfers are revered for their golf swing not fashion sense so I can see them getting well paid for equipment deals but not for "apparel". There are of course obvious exceptions like Rory and Tiger.

Harrington's clothes look like charity shop rejects... there's no way Oxfam are paying him a ton of money to dress like a tramp.

On the other hand, Darren Clarke makes a lot of effort on his appearance and is very keen to surround himself with the expensive and flashy, cars, clothes etc. So I assume he was getting a massive wad of cash to wear Dunlop gear from the bargain bin in Sports Direct.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

I wonder if Clarke's endorsement deal was extended to donney clubs after his open win?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 3:46 pm

DC turns 50 next August, an opportunity for new endorsements if he can get his game (and body) back into shape.
A pretty thin, in quality if not girth, "rookie class" of soon-to-be-fifties on the 2018 Champions Tour, including Dudley Hart, DiMarco and Gamez, as well as DC.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Nov 2017, 3:55 pm

Kwin - I saw and had quick (very) chat with Darren Clarke last year at a golf club in NJ. He was thin! Hopefully will do some damage on the Sr tour.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 10 Nov 2017, 5:17 pm

Kwini: As a post script to the Sunday Tee times at Vegas.

Nedbank is going off with Split tees tomorrow, 77 players.

And there is bunch more daylight in South Africa at this time of year as compared to Vegas.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 5:35 pm

GPB,
Yup, they've been doing that last week and in Rounds 1 & 2 this week also.
I just don't like it!

But I DO like the fact that McDool (70) and, especially, Knox(68) are in with good rounds, Cejka having another strong week with 67. No good for Brian Davis and I'll be interested to see confirmation of his status on Tour, if any. Imagine it's the web.com circuit for him now.
Power will need another 1-under-par 70, at least, to get paid.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 10 Nov 2017, 5:54 pm

Logistically, Split tees makes a lot of sense for Tournament Directors.

Instead of 10+ hours of coverage for volunteers etc, they only need 6+ hours of coverage.

It takes more than golf officials to run a big golf event.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 6:51 pm

GPB wrote:Logistically, Split tees makes a lot of sense for Tournament Directors.

Instead of 10+ hours of coverage for volunteers etc, they only need 6+ hours of coverage.

It takes more than golf officials to run a big golf event.

As a fan, I won't pay money to attend a split-tee weekend schedule and never have done - I like to walk my 36+ holes and get my money's worth. Perhaps that's just me but, if significant numbers of others feel the same way, that's a lot of revenue down the drain for the tournament & community.

Crowded leaderboard at Mayakoba with Kizzire treading water.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 10 Nov 2017, 7:04 pm

The open is one of the longest days out you can have.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 10 Nov 2017, 7:35 pm

Agreed Mac, though I've never been.
But I went to a US Open where they started off the first tee only - great day's golf.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Fri 10 Nov 2017, 8:45 pm

Interesting ... never heard of a split tee start reducing gate traffic. As GPB said, though, will reduce volunteer time on course.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 10 Nov 2017, 10:15 pm

Cheers Kwini... Great notes as always...

A few things... A little early to be sounding the death knell for Colonial just yet. It sounds as though they have a consortium of sponsorship lined up for next spring including Dean & DeLuca in a limited role along work American airlines and others. As the tournament guy says... This year's shirts will probably say 2018 Colonial on the front, with 8-10 logos on the back.

But it does raise an issue about the independent tournaments not likely to get much help from the Tour in finding a sponsor. PGAT has sponsor issues in losing one of it's "Proud Partners" for the Players, plus the WGC Bridgestone and Boston issues. I'm also told one of their Senior majors has sponsor issues (but I'm not sure which one). Bottom line, it's "probably" up to Houston, Colonial and the National to go it alone in finding title sponsors.

Then throw in the upcoming schedule upheaval, and who knows what's gonna happen. The schedule change back in 2006-07 bringing in the FedEx Cup resulted in the turnover of 8 events immediately. 3 were actually upgrades as Tucson & Doral got WGC's and the Western morphed into a playoff event. But it was still the Kemper, BC Open, Milwaukee, 84 lumber & International gone from the schedule because new economics, scheduling didn't work. All 5 we're replaced in 2007 with new events, Fry's (now Safeway), Mayakoba, AT&T (Quicken) National, Gin Sur Mer (gone after '08) and Turning Stone (gone after '10)

Anyway... It's looking like there will be "upheaval" again. Maybe not as severe as 06-07... But anywhere from none, some or all of some really good events in DC, Boston, Houston, Akron (WGC Bridgestone) and Fort Worth could be among the casualties.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Nov 2017, 12:55 am

No answer to any of that, except hope the long-established events stick around; care least about Akron.

Am I right in saying that the BC Open, now happily restored on the Champions Tour as the Dick's Sporting Goods event, was transferred initially to Turning Stone because Enjoie was unplayable due to floods . . . . . . and Ray Halbritter being a shameless sycophantic opportunist who ultimately couldn't properly deliver, (like Bobby Ginn)? Good Tour course though.
Imagine that "Boston" & "Houston" will bounce back somehow.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Nov 2017, 11:26 am

Confirmation that Snedeker has "committed" for next week's RSM action. Not sure that's a smart move but it will be good to see him back.

Golf Channel and Louisville press saying that the PGA Championship will return to Valhalla in 2024. Which would make their calendar look like this:
2018: Bellerive
2019: Bethpage
2020: Harding Park
2021: Kiawah
2022: Bedminster Landfill
2023: Oak Hill
2024: Valhalla
2028: Olympic.

Stormy weather at Mayakoba yesterday and Seamus unable to Power through it. Play scheduled to resume at 7.30 this morning, which means Round 2 should be finished about the same time Pompey kick off in Blackpool.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 11 Nov 2017, 10:00 pm

When is Langer weighing anchor? He’s currently 7 shots off the pace.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 11 Nov 2017, 11:40 pm

pedro wrote:When is Langer weighing anchor? He’s currently 7 shots off the pace.

He needs to shoot in the 50's and dodge a few bullets.

Not sure how Mayakoba proceeds on Sunday. 79 golfers making the cut presumably means the Tour "redraws" the field for tee-times for those finishing 70th + ties. Given the leaders haven't left the stalls yet, they wouldn't then be able to begin Round 4 until 12.30 p.m. or later. Can you say "Monday Finish"?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

GPB wrote:Kodaira is playing Japan this week but a win this week would still leave him about 10 pts short of the top 50.

There is actually quite a spread between OWGR #50 and OWGR #60.  Westwood has to win Nedbank to crack the Top 50.  2nd place won't be enough

Sneds at #44 has a reasonable chance to stay in the the Top 50.  Assuming he doesn't play RSM next week, he is losing two tournaments in his divisor (two tourneys where he missed the cut).  His ending OWGR avg will be about 2.3 which is generally not enough, but the spread is a little different this year

Sneds has been posting some videos on Twitter, so he is on the mend.  He might even play RSM next week, I think he owns a house at Sea Island.

Kodaira wins in Japan! pd reckons that'll get him to about #52, perhaps passing Poults who is staying pretty much status quo.
Grace will have sewn up his trip to Augusta - Westwood doing himself some good, but still needs a very big week in Dubai. Charlie Howell playing well as Round 3 at Mayakoba resumes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 12 Nov 2017, 2:37 pm

Yep, just came here to post the Kodaira win. and yes, provisionally up to #52, with a 2.41 average. Ryan Moore (currently T4) will pass him by finishing in the Top 20.

Westwood's avg is now 2.17. He will probably need at least a solo 3rd in Dubai to crack top 50 at year end.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Nov 2017, 3:00 pm

Poulter doesn't have a ticket to Dubai as things stand. Not sure if they take just the Top 60 in the R2D's or Top 60 available. ET seems to be saying Top 60 available - Poults with his second yuuuge slice of luck this year in that case.

Looks like CHIII took an unreported two penalty shots on the 1st hole yesterday.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

I wonder if the Tour offered a payment to players to withdraw . . . . . ? #Conspiracytheory . . . .

. . . . . as Chesson Hadley fingersnaps his way back across the wall (the one paid for by Mexico) to leave 78 golfers playing and, presumably, no need to "redraw" the tee-times.
We'll have to see on that!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 12 Nov 2017, 3:25 pm

IJP thinks he is going to Dubai according to his twitter timeline

https://twitter.com/IanJamesPoulter

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Nov 2017, 7:50 pm

pedro wrote:When is Langer weighing anchor? He’s currently 7 shots off the pace.

Front 9 of 30, just needs a back nine of 29 to really shake things up!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 12 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

SmithersJones wrote:Thanks Kwini. Any tips for who to follow at Maykoba, I'm lucky enough to be there on Sunday?

Smithers is getting dozens more holes of golf played at #18 than he bargained for. Dos Equis must be flowing . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 12 Nov 2017, 10:19 pm

It's Top 60 available. Pity we won't see Rory and Henrik.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 13 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

Grayson Murray making an ass of himself on twitter again, slagging off the Champions Tour. What a moron. Good that he's getting ripped. Again.

Brian Davis failed to meet the criteria for any remaining type of medical extension so his playing status reverts to that of "Veteran Member" courtesy of his 213 cuts made in a largely journeyman career. And that means he'll get a handful of Tour starts including this week at the RSM/McGladrey and, I imagine, some sort of web.com status.

Padraig Harrington also plays the RSM - I need help here. What's the reason he's not qualified for Dubai? He's won about 640K Euros after all, yet he's ranked with 311K Euros in 117th place.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon 13 Nov 2017, 3:50 pm

Father-Son tournament announced that Nicklaus is playing with his Grandson, Gary Nicklaus, Jr.

Justin Leonard is playing with his father.

Harrington is playing his 14 yr old son, Paddy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next