The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead

+62
RugbyFan100
David-Douglas
Exiledinborders
TrailApe
furra_linee
munkian
dummy_half
Tramptastic
EST
whocares
TightHEAD
EnglishReign
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Second Ranker
nlpnlp
Geordie
R!skysports
IanBru
propdavid_london
jimbopip
demosthenes
LordDowlais
Thunderthighs
No 7&1/2
RDW
Scottrf
lostinwales
George Carlin
cascough
Gwlad
TJ
Sgt_Pooly
highland_scot
NeilyBroon
Tattie Scones RRN
MichaelT
Barney McGrew did it
BamBam
LondonTiger
Cyril
alive555
funnyExiledScot
cakeordeath
poddy89
reallybored
wisden
bsando
Anglobraveheart
Hazel Sapling
21st Century Schizoid Man
MacKnocked-on
Mad for Chelsea
BigGee
SecretFly
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
Heuer27
RuggerRadge2611
66 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead - Page 11 Empty Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead

Post by RDW Mon 27 Nov 2017, 7:57 am

First topic message reminder :

2017 Autumn Test Results

Scotland 44 - Samoa 38 Smile

Tries - Hogg, Jones, McInally (2), Dunbar, Horne

Scotland 17 - New Zealand 22 Crying or Very sad

Tries - J Gray, Jones

Scotland 53 - Australia 24 Yahoo

McGuigan (2), Price, Maitland, J Gray, Jones, Barclay, McInally

6N fixtures

Wales V Scotland
Scotland V France

Scotland V England

Ireland V Scotland
Italy V Scotland

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead

Post by RDW Tue 16 Jan 2018, 7:58 pm

BigGee wrote:Interestingly, Redpath Jr was not in the England u20s squad when it was recently announced. Not sure if we should read anything into that or not.

Our squad should be out pretty soon as well, will be interesting who might be in it.

Hutchinson has hardly had a look in at Saints this year after getting more than a few games last year, its all become a bit of a shambles there and no place for a developing player. He probably does need to move on but goodness knows where. Neither Scottish side seems short of centres.

If Edinburgh offload Rasolea we'll have a squad place, although I think we've already got a young centre - Galbraith is it?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead - Page 11 Empty Re: Scotland Autumn Test postmortem and 6N look ahead

Post by Geordie Tue 16 Jan 2018, 8:34 pm

As a falcon fan...I can assure you Lawson is still a cracking hooker....perfect for the your 3rd spot.

I think I saw a stat that he is the 3rd best hooker in England as set pieces go (lineout etc)

Whilst he is solid in the scrum etc...he's been outstanding in the loose. Something that I believe has improved under Dean's guidance. Have no concerns if he has to get on the pitch!

Harris, is a good prem centre..so ill be interested to see how he goes at the next level if he gets a chance.

And Welsh is just a class th prop. Theres nothing better than when he gets that ball and makes a 50m break down the pitch... Yahoo

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Jan 2018, 8:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:Interestingly, Redpath Jr was not in the England u20s squad when it was recently announced. Not sure if we should read anything into that or not.

Our squad should be out pretty soon as well, will be interesting who might be in it.

Hutchinson has hardly had a look in at Saints this year after getting more than a few games last year, its all become a bit of a shambles there and no place for a developing player. He probably does need to move on but goodness knows where. Neither Scottish side seems short of centres.

If Edinburgh offload Rasolea we'll have a squad place, although I think we've already got a young centre - Galbraith is it?

Not a sign of him all season, that is never a good sign in a new player. Maybe someone from this years crop of u20s might step up as well?

Either way, I doubt if Hutchinson will be on his way north.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 16 Jan 2018, 10:19 pm

https://theoffsideline.com/6n-townsend-expects-lose-scotland-20-cap-ben-vellacott-england/

Toonie sounds quite philosophical about the Graham and Vellacott situations. I guess he has to be.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:01 am

BigGee wrote:https://theoffsideline.com/6n-townsend-expects-lose-scotland-20-cap-ben-vellacott-england/

Toonie sounds quite philosophical about the Graham and Vellacott situations. I guess he has to be.
I have no ill will towards Master Vellacott at all. 

Danny Care is 31 now and Ben Youngs not so, er, young at nearly 29. Ali Price could be a Scotland fixture for years to come, Frodo is something of a talisman, Pyrgos (for all that he seems to attract brickbats now for no particular reason) was a Scotland captain at one point, Steele is doing splashy stuff, Sam Clyne has great hair and George Horne tore the Sevens circuit a new one last year. Can we honestly say that Vellacott was more likely to be capped by Scotland than England? Not sure that we can. 

Careers are short, so good luck to him.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:03 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:As a falcon fan...I can assure you Lawson is still a cracking hooker....perfect for the your 3rd spot.

I think I saw a stat that he is the 3rd best hooker in England as set pieces go (lineout etc)

Whilst he is solid in the scrum etc...he's been outstanding in the loose. Something that I believe has improved under Dean's guidance. Have no concerns if he has to get on the pitch!

Harris, is a good prem centre..so ill be interested to see how he goes at the next level if he gets a chance.

And Welsh is just a class th prop. Theres nothing better than when he gets that ball and makes a 50m break down the pitch...  Yahoo
Geordie - you've watched Welsh a lot this year. Why the fork does he seem to concede so many penalties? 

I have seen a couple of features now which highlight this and it really does stand out. Should we be worried?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:20 am

Wasn't Welsh the one who narrowly lost in a 60m race to Carlin Isles

........after getting a 40m head start!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:24 am

I wouldn't worry when England's loose head has given away the most in the champions cup.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:35 am

George Carlin wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:As a falcon fan...I can assure you Lawson is still a cracking hooker....perfect for the your 3rd spot.

And Welsh is just a class th prop. Theres nothing better than when he gets that ball and makes a 50m break down the pitch...  Yahoo
Geordie - you've watched Welsh a lot this year. Why the fork does he seem to concede so many penalties? 

I have seen a couple of features now which highlight this and it really does stand out. Should we be worried?

The Falcons scrum is the most penalised in the AP so it's not going to look good for Welsh. To be fair though, he's only 10% of the problem as our Loosehead can't scrum at all...Welsh is often on a hiding to nothing.

In the loose Welsh has been fantastic, little chips through, 50m breaks, offloads!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 17 Jan 2018, 9:36 am

tigertattie wrote:Wasn't Welsh the one who narrowly lost in a 60m race to Carlin Isles

........after getting a 40m head start!

To be fair, he would not be the only one coming into that category!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 17 Jan 2018, 11:18 am

Think Redpath Jr is still U18s qualified and will be playing for them

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 17 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

FES only qualifies for the under 80s team now!

Speaking of which, where is the grumpy old overpaid ambulance chaser lawyer?
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 17 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

Tattie, I heard a joke that "a good lawyer shouldn't need to chase an ambulance, as a good lawyer will have met an ambulance driver at a networking event."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 17 Jan 2018, 4:21 pm

IanBru wrote:Tattie, I heard a joke that "a good lawyer shouldn't need to chase an ambulance, as a good lawyer will have met an ambulance driver at a networking event."

FES would be the ambulance driver!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Wed 17 Jan 2018, 7:23 pm

I'm not sure as a country that could quite possibly pick an entire team of players picked over the last two years who did not come through our system we have any legs to stand on in this situation. Hopefully, within the next 10 years, players from outside the system will become the last resort rather than an actual policy.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 18 Jan 2018, 9:11 am

Gary Graham named in the England squad by no Vellacott

Zach Mercer included too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 18 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Gary Graham named in the England squad by no Vellacott

Zach Mercer included too

I think the chances of Mercer doing a Heathcote were all but non existent. Graham however - that is an interesting one.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 18 Jan 2018, 12:33 pm

Primarily because mercer isn't qualified to play for Scotland.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 18 Jan 2018, 12:34 pm

I'm surprised Mercer is still even being mentioned in this type of discussion tbh, he made it clear long ago that he wanted to play for England and has been marked out by England as one for the future for a while now. I'd say its been pretty clear there was zero chance of him ever becoming a Scotland player. Cracking player though

Edit: I see someone beat me to it!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 18 Jan 2018, 1:09 pm

That's not a great England squad tbh, barely even a good one. That said ours was hardly our strongest. But I don't think it's a squad that stands head and shoulders above us, Ireland or Wales. I think we're in for a cracking championship and I'm 90% sure England will be knocked off the top. Fingers crossed it's us and definitely fingers crossed it's not Wales, would hate to see Gatland's smug face. I do wonder how much of a part that will play in motivating the Scotland players for the Wales game.

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 18 Jan 2018, 1:35 pm

Squads are all out, and like you I think its going to be a cracking tournament.
Absolutely no reason why anyone cant beat anyone this year - Even Italy have been know to pull a fast one every other tournament.
I am sure there has been a thread on it somewhere but I am coming up for the England game (staying in Haymarket). Where is good to go before and after the game?

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 18 Jan 2018, 1:36 pm

I don't think any side is dealing with the injuries that Scotland are at the minute. On the BBC rugby pod, they were discussing how missing Marler and Mullan is brutal. Scotland's injury list in the front row may stop us getting more than 2 games (I think with the way the team is playing they will claim a scalp to go with Italy's regardless).

I do have a question about Scotland's front 5. Why do we lack power? We have big 2nd rows and our front row is not tiny (Reid (120kg)-McInally (110kg)-Welsh (125kg)). Certainly Wales and Ireland are roughly the same size in the front row.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:13 pm

propdavid_london wrote:Squads are all out, and like you I think its going to be a cracking tournament.  
Absolutely no reason why anyone cant beat anyone this year - Even Italy have been know to pull a fast one every other tournament.
I am sure there has been a thread on it somewhere but I am coming up for the England game (staying in Haymarket). Where is good to go before and after the game?

I assume you are looking to stay fairly local, so some suggestions for places:

Haymarket bar - will be rammed, but decent selection of beer and very handy
Ghillie dhu - just down the road towards princess st. Again decent select of beer and normally fairly lively. http://ghillie-dhu.co.uk/
Teuchters - Not the biggest but if you fancy a whisky post/pre match they have a decent selection, which can be made more interesting by using the ring toss to decide your dram.

There are a few bars around the stadium but they will be heaving, Hampton Hotel is probably the pick of the bunch but if you want a drink get in early.

Caley sample rooms http://thecaleysampleroom.co.uk/ - again decent enough, used to be really popular pre and post rugby spot, but has gone up market in recent times. Still decent enough pub.

Failing that head towards the Grassmarket as there are few bars down that way, but a bit more of a walk from/to the stadium, or along rose street. both have a number of pubs close by.

Lothian road is also getting a few more these days as well, with the beer kitchen, red squirrel, caley picture house (or whatever it's called now, it's a weatherspoons) and more.

To be honest there are a number of places you could go. First few on the list will have more of a rugby crowd. Sure others here can add some suggestions

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:18 pm

That is fantastic EWT, cheers.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:41 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:I don't think any side is dealing with the injuries that Scotland are at the minute. On the BBC rugby pod, they were discussing how missing Marler and Mullan is brutal. Scotland's injury list in the front row may stop us getting more than 2 games (I think with the way the team is playing they will claim a scalp to go with Italy's regardless).

I do have a question about Scotland's front 5. Why do we lack power? We have big 2nd rows and our front row is not tiny (Reid (120kg)-McInally (110kg)-Welsh (125kg)). Certainly Wales and Ireland are roughly the same size in the front row.

I'm not sure things are as bad as you're suggesting in the front row, Welsh is as good as Fagerson in the scrum from what I can see, loosehead could be an issue but I'm not sure that we have any particularly good looseheads now. Wales don't have particularly good props so I can't see us being destroyed in the set piece there. The one game I'm terrified of is the Ireland game, Schmidt is such a good strategist that if they get the dominance you would expect in the set piece they could strangle us and the game, and run away with it somewhat. The positive for me is that Scotland tend to get points fairly economically these days, one bit of magic from Jones, Russell or Hogg frequently leads to tries. I'd like to see a game in which the Grays really dominate their opposition in the lineout and in the loose.

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Thu 18 Jan 2018, 2:45 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
propdavid_london wrote:Squads are all out, and like you I think its going to be a cracking tournament.  

I assume you are looking to stay fairly local, so some suggestions for places:

Haymarket bar - will be rammed, but decent selection of beer and very handy
Ghillie dhu - just down the road towards princess st.  Again decent select of beer and normally fairly lively.  http://ghillie-dhu.co.uk/
Teuchters - Not the biggest but if you fancy a whisky post/pre match they have a decent selection, which can be made more interesting by using the ring toss to decide your dram.

There are a few bars around the stadium but they will be heaving, Hampton Hotel is probably the pick of the bunch but if you want a drink get in early.

Caley sample rooms http://thecaleysampleroom.co.uk/ - again decent enough, used to be really popular pre and post rugby spot, but has gone up market in recent times.  Still decent enough pub.

Failing that head towards the Grassmarket as there are few bars down that way, but a bit more of a walk from/to the stadium, or along rose street.  both have a number of pubs close by.

Lothian road is also getting a few more these days as well, with the beer kitchen, red squirrel, caley picture house (or whatever it's called now, it's a weatherspoons) and more.

To be honest there are a number of places you could go.  First few on the list will have more of a rugby crowd.  Sure others here can add some suggestions

Hanging Bat also really good, and the new Brewdog bar will be opening the end of this month on Lothian Road. Good for the hipster end of the market.

Other end of Princes Street you have the Abbotsford and the Guildford Arms - both proper "old fashioned" pubs.

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 18 Jan 2018, 3:20 pm

propdavid_london wrote:That is fantastic EWT, cheers.

No worries.

One other suggestion, just because it'll be on your doorstep. Platform 5, right across from the train station. Won't get in post game (unless you are rapid getting there) but will be showing the Ireland vs Wales game before. Not the best of pubs but has a big screen projector thing, and will be guaranteed to be showing the rugby.

And there is also the 3 sisters in the cowgate. Personally I can't stand the place, but has a big courtyard (if you fancy standing outside in Edinburgh in February) and I’m led to believe it’s pretty popular. http://thethreesistersbar.co.uk/

Or of course if you are after a more upmarket type bar there is George Street (runs parallel to Princes St and Rose St), where you are more likely to bump into a few players

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 18 Jan 2018, 3:58 pm

I generally like the Three Sisters, but I was there on Super Saturday last year with Hagia Sophia, and they had an event on in that courtyard, with a huge screen and barriers to control entry, except... The bouncers clearly weren't trying to control how many people were let in.

It was really dangerously overcrowded, and I couldn't avoid the feeling that if something bad happened a lot of people would get hurt. We ended up leaving. It's a shame, because it's normally a good venue for watching sport, but in this case the owners were perhaps a little greedy in letting more and more punters in.

Plus I narrowly avoided being vomited on by an Irishman dressed as Dotard Trump...
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 18 Jan 2018, 4:17 pm

I think it’s a personal thing, as it’s very popular, I’ve just never seen the appeal to it. I’ve not been in years, so my memories aren’t the best, but from what I can remember the ceilings were really low and it’s always been massively over crowded, which just sort of gives off a really tight and uncomfortable vibe. Which sort of aligns to your experience last year (the overcrowded part)

The courtyard whenever I’ve been, has also been rammed and getting a drink was nigh impossible.

To be fair I think I’m just old.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 19 Jan 2018, 8:42 am

Scotland’s odds on winning the 6 nations have fallen again

Before the Oz game in the autumn we were 15/1 with some bookies, after the Oz game 10/1 following the squad announcements we 9/1.

England are favourites with Ireland just slightly behind, then us, Wales, France and Italy.

Means nothing obviously, as it’s quite heavily influenced by betting patterns (England’s odds are always pretty low for football and rugby, due to population size and fans betting on their team), but based on predicted winners, this is how the 6 nations table should finish:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
France
Italy

I think most of us would be fairly happy with that.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:53 am

Dunstane House hotel is always a good spot to go to before or after a game. Halfway between Haymarket and Murrayfield on West Coates Road.
Inside and Outside bar, great selection of drinks and normally a really good atmosphere.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 19 Jan 2018, 9:55 am

propdavid_london wrote:...

Haymarket is easy walking distance to Murrayfield but if you don't want to limit yourself to that side of town you can easily head east and get the tram to the game.

Broughton street is an excellent starting point.  There's The Cask and Barrel at the bottom of the hill for a good quality old mans boozer.  Good selection of cask beers but very few kegs if you like it cold and fizzy.  They'll be showing any other games too.

There are another 4-5 going up the hill, some better than others.  The Phoenix is like a Glasgow rugby pub.  Noisy, fun and much more "sweary" than Murrayfield.  It lost it's early morning license around 15 years ago due to people playing draughts with Es.  It's my favourite place to watch Scotland games purely for the atmosphere. You should be safe in an England shirt although it might not tolerate "swing low" if you're humping us.

At the top of the street there's the Empress which has a good selection of tasty, cold, fizzy beers as well as decent and reasonably priced food.  It gets pretty busy though as it's the closest pub to the first tram stop.

My top tip though is Daylight Robbery on Dublin Street.  It's not particularly lively but there's good food and drink (nice selection of cans) they'll be showing any games and you'll get a seat.  It's also only 3 minutes from the 2nd tram stop.  Now instead of getting on the tram heading to Murrayfield (it'll already be almost full) get on it going to York place and don't get off. It'll add 5 minutes to your journey but you'll get a seat all the way to Murrayfield.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by cascough Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:08 am

Hazel Sapling wrote:I don't think any side is dealing with the injuries that Scotland are at the minute. On the BBC rugby pod, they were discussing how missing Marler and Mullan is brutal. Scotland's injury list in the front row may stop us getting more than 2 games (I think with the way the team is playing they will claim a scalp to go with Italy's regardless).

England have 4 capped props in the squad. 1 on the loose and 3 on the tight. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the same as Scotland? Only you have 3 loose and 1 tight?

cascough

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:09 am

Completely agree about the trams.

It is completely hopeless trying to get a tram from Princess Street as they are always packed on match day. Last year for the Italy game we had left ourselves loads of time but just could not get on. Eventually had to tuck the wife under my arm and charge on as if I was clearing out a ruck. We almost ended up missing the start of the game.

Just before doing that I had a chat with a couple trying to get to the airport, with suitcases and a baby and pram. Clearly no chance they were getting on and they were in danger of missing their flight.

I actually suggested the taking tram back to York Place and then just staying on it for the journey back option for them, which they gratefully took up. The trams were virtually empty going that way.

This autumn for the Australia game, we just walked to the terminal at York place ourselves and as said, even got a seat, then watched everyone struggling to get on at Princess St and beyond.

Definitely the way to go.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

EWT Spoons wrote:Scotland’s odds on winning the 6 nations have fallen again

Before the Oz game in the autumn we were 15/1 with some bookies, after the Oz game 10/1 following the squad announcements we 9/1.

England are favourites with Ireland just slightly behind, then us, Wales, France and Italy.

Means nothing obviously, as it’s quite heavily influenced by betting patterns (England’s odds are always pretty low for football and rugby, due to population size and fans betting on their team), but based on predicted winners, this is how the 6 nations table should finish:

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
France
Italy

I think most of us would be fairly happy with that.

I'd be delighted with that!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 19 Jan 2018, 10:44 am

Some interesting chat from CDP via the offside line

Offside line wrote:Cornell du Preez: Raising a glass to finally putting horror ankle injury in the past

AT the age of just 23, Cornell du Preez was told to start getting used to the idea that his rugby career might have come to a premature end, after suffering a horror ankle injury whilst playing for Edinburgh against the Dragons in October 2014.

The South African back-rower, who had arrived in the Scottish capital in September 2013, and was named Edinburgh’s player of the season at the end of his first campaign with the club, suffered a fracture-dislocation during a fairly innocuous tackle situation that fateful night.

Video footage of the incident, available on YouTube, shows the player’s foot hanging limply from the end of his leg immediately after suffering the gruesome injury, as he beckons desperately towards the bench for help. It is tough viewing for anyone of a remotely squeamish disposition. He is clearly in agony and gas is administered as paramedics attend to him on the pitch.

Du Preez was rushed straight to the orthopaedic department at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where he underwent surgery, and he was subsequently warned that it might be time to think about what he was going to do after hanging up his boots. But the injured man had other ideas.

“At the time, even though they told me that I might not be able to play again, in my head I wasn’t going to let that be an option. I know my body and I can feel if I am still going to be able to play or not. I was 23 at the time, so still young, with my whole career ahead of me, and I wasn’t ready to let it go,” he recalls.

“I was out for about six months before I was told that everything looks alright and I can get on with my career.”

Du Preez astonishingly made it back to play five matches for Edinburgh at the end of that same season, but the after-effects of the injury lingered on for another two years – in a way they still haunt him.

“That’s something you have to get around mentally – that it might be sore sometimes and you just have to get along with it – but it took me time to adapt to that and get used to the fact that it sometimes might be sore,” he says.

As luck would have it, his first game back was a rematch against the Dragons – this time in Edinburgh’s successful Challenge Cup semi-final clash at Murrayfield. He also played in the final – a defeat to Gloucester – and in the last three league games of the campaign. The following season he featured in 27 of the 28 competitive matches the club played.

Du Preez had clearly lost none of his durability after his injury set-back, but it was hard to escape the sense that his general form had not recovered. He looked heavier than before, which was fine, but the dynamism which had made him such a handful to opposition defences pre-injury was not as evident.

It didn’t help that he was returning to an Edinburgh team struggling desperately for confidence and form. Du Preez seemed to personify the general feel of the club – hard-working but sluggish compared to what we all knew was possible.

Clean-up surgery on his ankle during the summer of 2016 meant the following season started slowly, and he played most of the first two months of the campaign for Heriot’s in the BT Premiership, before a spate of injuries prompted a call-up to the full national squad during the autumn Test series.

He didn’t play in any of those games, but did manage to make his international debut during the 2017 Six Nations, coming off the bench in that capitulation against England, and doing the same again against Italy in the final game of the championship the following week.

But when he wasn’t involved in Scotland’s 2017 summer tour or in the national training camp held at St Andrews last August, it felt like he might be in the process of falling off the international radar under Gregor Townsend.

Two very important things changed for Du Preez leading onto this season, which helped him back into the Scotland set-up for the Autumn Tests, and then allowed him to grasp the opportunity with both hands when injury, suspension and loss of form left Townsend short-handed in the back-row for the match-day 23.

Firstly, the arrival of Richard Cockerill has reinvigorated Edinburgh, with Du Preez revelling in the role he is being asked to play by the feisty Englishman.

“I used to hang out wide a bit and try to create opportunities out there with the old game-plan we had, but now I am more of a carrier in the tight areas – I’m happy with that, it gives me more ball,” explains the player.

“With Cockers coming in, the forwards are going well. I think I’m getting back to the performance levels I had the previous few years [before the injury]. He’s done a lot for the club – especially the mentality about creating a winning environment.”

“He’s been good for me – his honesty is good. But also, the back-row is so competitive you have to put in your best game in every weekend – which obviously drives things on.”

Secondly, and more significantly, Du Preez has finally been able to come to terms with the lingering pain from that ankle injury.

“I said to Gregor when we were having a one-on-one in the Autumn that this is probably the first year when I can say I am training without worrying and without it being sore all the time. So, it is the first time I have been able to think just about the rugby, with nothing in the back of my head about the pain,” he says.

“It will be there for the rest of my life, I guess, but you find ways to manage it.”

After impressing off the bench against Samoa in the first of Scotland’s three matches last November, Du Preez was added to the starting fifteen to play the next week against New Zealand when Ryan Wilson dropped out through injury, and featured again off the bench in that memorable final match against Australia.

Du Preez may be bulkier than he was when he first arrived in Scotland but will never be a big beast by international standards, and the concerns expressed during the Autumn about a lack of a true heavyweight in the Scottish back-row have not completely disappeared just because Scotland exceeded all expectations during that series.

The Six Nations, which kicks off in just over two weeks’ time, is a far more attritional sequence of matches, but Du Preez – not surprisingly – shares Townsend’s belief that size isn’t everything.

“You can always offer something different. You don’t have to be the biggest, if you can put in some skill-work and a bit of foot-work, it changes up a lot of things. You can still find gaps and make metres in attack,” he reasons.

“If you look at a guy like Hamish Watson – he’s not the biggest guy ever, but he keeps running through defences like they are not there. So, it is about what you do with the size you have got.”

https://theoffsideline.com/cornell-du-preez-raising-glass-finally-putting-horror-ankle-injury-past/

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:46 am

I like his description of Watson.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:59 am

Dunbar and Hogg return for Glasgow - good news!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:19 pm

Laidlaw on the bench for Clermont

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:55 pm

Scotland will play Wales in a brand-new fixture this November as part of an extended Autumn Series.

Gregor Townsend’s side will face their NatWest 6 Nations rivals in Cardiff on Saturday November 3 and contest the ‘Doddie Weir Cup’, as both teams support the former Scotland and British & Irish Lions player who has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease.

Scotland play seven of the top 10 World Rugby ranked teams during 2018 across a 12-match schedule, which has an even split of six home and six away matches.

The Wales game will provide test-level build-up for the Scot’s own 2018 Autumn Tests at BT Murrayfield, which will kick-off on Saturday 10 November against Fiji, followed on consecutive Saturdays by fixtures against South Africa on 17 November and Argentina on 24 November.

The 2017 Autumn Tests at BT Murrayfield broke all recent records with a first ever three-match sell-out as Scotland hosted Samoa, New Zealand and Australia in front of capacity crowds.

Scotland last contested four November fixtures back in 2004 with all the matches then being played at home, meaning 2018 will be the first time an away fixture is contested by the Scots in the end-of-year series.

Between the NatWest 6 Nations and Autumn Test series in 2018, Scotland will travel to the Americas for their Summer Tests this June with games against Canada, USA and Argentina all confirmed.

Scotland Head Coach, Gregor Townsend, said: “Facing Wales on the road is an exciting prospect for our players as we begin the final of year of preparations for Rugby World Cup 2019. Four Test matches in four weeks is a very similar challenge to the one that we will face in Japan.

“This additional contest in the autumn will allow us to expose more Scotland players to international rugby and will support our preparations to face three huge matches at BT Murrayfield later that month, and beyond.”

Scottish Rugby’s Chief Operating Officer, Dominic McKay, said: “The support the team have received from Scotland fans in recent years has been outstanding and this culminated with the 2017 Autumn Test series which saw the team play to three sell-outs at BT Murrayfield for the first time.

“As we build towards Rugby World Cup 2019 there are some fantastic opportunities to promote Scotland internationally and for fans to see the team at their home stadium.

“This year promises to be a fantastic, varied year of rugby and I’m confident our fans will be as passionate as ever and get behind the team, both home and away.”

2018 Autumn Test match tickets and multi-game packages are expected to go on sale in late spring/early summer. All ticketing details will also be emailed to subscribers of the weekly Scottish Rugby newsletter.

View all news

Related stories
WATCH | Townsend reflects on Scotland squad selection
Townsend names 40-man Scotland squad for NatWest 6 Nations
Scottish Rugby greats honoured in New Year honours
Horne replaces injured Dunbar
WATCH | Townsend reflects on Scotland selection v Australia
Four changes for Australia test
Principal Partners

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:05 pm

Think this will become a regular fixture? Would be great if it was!

Given we're already playing the taffs in Cardiff in the 6ns, you'd have thought this would have been at murrayfield, especially as it's the Doddie cup!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:41 pm

Maybe they are going to come back to Murrayfield for a WC warm up game. That would be good, we don't really want to be warming up against the Irish as we will be playing them in our group.

Playing four games in 4 weeks is much more akin to a WC schedule and seems to be what Toonie is thinking about. It will give him the chance to rotate the squad about a bit as well, as he will have to do in Japan.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:49 pm

Some posters have been quite scathing of a 4th Autumn International in the past (on here and elsewhere). Player welfare issues, greedy union, damaging the Pro12, damaging chances in Europe - all accusations thrown at those opting for a 4th AI. Is the mood softening North of the border? Does the charity angle make this a bit easier to swallow?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:54 pm

The Oracle wrote:Some posters have been quite scathing of a 4th Autumn International in the past (on here and elsewhere).  Player welfare issues, greedy union, damaging the Pro12, damaging chances in Europe - all accusations thrown at those opting for a 4th AI.  Is the mood softening North of the border?  Does the charity angle make this a bit easier to swallow?

I have to say I think 3 is normally enough, for the players and the fans (it is not cheap going to internationals these days).

I am swayed by the charity and pre WC arguments on this occasion, but more than happy to go back to three in normal years.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 19 Jan 2018, 1:55 pm

BigGee wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Some posters have been quite scathing of a 4th Autumn International in the past (on here and elsewhere).  Player welfare issues, greedy union, damaging the Pro12, damaging chances in Europe - all accusations thrown at those opting for a 4th AI.  Is the mood softening North of the border?  Does the charity angle make this a bit easier to swallow?

I have to say I think 3 is normally enough, for the players and the fans (it is not cheap going to internationals these days).

I am swayed by the charity and pre WC arguments on this occasion, but more than happy to go back to three in normal years.

I'd agree with Biggee on this

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:05 pm

Yeah same boat.

Not a fan of 4 games as I think it’s too much, but if it’s a one off this year (happy to have a regular game as part of the 3 that replaces it going forward) then that’s fine.

Has anyone seen how much (if any) of the revenue is going to his charity for this game, or is it a name only thing?  Would have hoped a portion of the gate receipts etc would be going to his charity or other MND charities but can’t see any mention of that in the reporting so far.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
BigGee wrote:

I'd agree with Biggee on this

Me too.  Do we know if it's a one off?

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:24 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Yeah same boat.

Not a fan of 4 games as I think it’s too much, but if it’s a one off this year (happy to have a regular game as part of the 3 that replaces it going forward) then that’s fine.

Has anyone seen how much (if any) of the revenue is going to his charity for this game, or is it a name only thing?  Would have hoped a portion of the gate receipts etc would be going to his charity or other MND charities but can’t see any mention of that in the reporting so far.

No mention so far in the official publicity. Hopefully more will be released nearer the time. I hope they do make a significant donation. I would certainly make a big effort to go to the game if that is the case.

I would be less impressed if we have to pay £50 for a ticket and then the only charity donations comes from the bucket collection within the ground. If they donate a fiver or so from each ticket sold, then that should make a tidy enough sum, or even a bit more. A lot of that will be down to the WRU I imagine. You would hope that Scotland want no more than their expenses to play the game and there is a fair bit of revenue to be made from a game like this.

I am confident that they will do the right thing.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

All the utterings are that it won’t be a one off and is instead the start of a regular trophy. It could be the case that it’ll only be four games this year and every other year will be three including this fixture. Although given the cash is going to charity going to three games including this one seems unlikely. I can think of several reasons for a game next year, firstly rankings will mean squat by then, Scotland and I imagine wales too have good first choice fifteens and a drop after that. This will give another game to blood players prior to the World Cup. It also may suggest Scotland haven’t been successful in adding a game to the tour in the summer. There’s also the fact that our teams go up against the likes of Australia, New Zealand and South Africa cold whereas they’ve been together for months. Wales get pumped on their first fixture annually and we put out a poor performance against Samoa last time out. I have thought for a while that a way for the Celtic nations to get ahead would be to play matches against the likes of Georgia and Romania prior to the six nations in a warm up.

There is also a cynical part of me that says that both unions want an extra fixture for cash reasons but know how unpopular they’ve become and so realise charity is a way to sell it to the public.

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 19 Jan 2018, 2:35 pm

I guess my concern is the WRU have said they need 4 Autumn fixtures to balance the books, this would be their 4th fixture. Not suggesting the WRU are doing this for the money, but I would be keen to see some kind of statement that says x amount will be going to the trust, from both sides.

Wouldn't be against buckets being around the ground as well, to collect any additional donations fans want to make.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next