The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017

+25
eirebilly
No 7&1/2
majesticimperialman
Shifty
Steffan
RuggerRadge2611
aucklandlaurie
Taylorman
Sgt_Pooly
Geordie
RiscaGame
Luckless Pedestrian
mikey_dragon
Exiledinborders
Gwlad
BigGee
Collapse2005
RugbyFan100
munkian
lostinwales
SecretFly
Cardiff Dave
chris_501
RDW
TightHEAD
29 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017 - Page 3 Empty Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017

Post by TightHEAD Mon 27 Nov 2017 - 16:30

First topic message reminder :

Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017 - 2:30pm

Teams.....

Wales: Halfpenny; Amos, S Williams, H Parkes, S Evans; Biggar, A Davies; R Evans, Dacey, Andrews, Hill, A W Jones, Shingler, Navidi, Faletau.

Replacements: Dee, W Jones, R Jones, S Davies, Lydiate, Webb, Patchell, Watkin.

South Africa: Andries Coetzee; Dillyn Leyds, Jesse Kriel, Francois Venter, Warrick Gelant; Handré Pollard, Ross Cronje; Steven Kitshoff, Malcolm Marx, Wilco Louw, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Siya Kolisi, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Dan du Preez.
Replacements: Bongi Mbonambi, Trevor Nyakane, Ruan Dreyer, Oupa Mohoje, Uzair Cassiem, Louis Schreuder, Elton Jantjies, Lukhanyo Am.

Head to Head - Played 32 - SA 28 wins - Wales 3 wins - 1 Draw

Last 5 Games.

Jun 2014, Durban - SA 38–16 Wales

Jun 2014, Nelspruit -  SA 31–30 Wales

Nov 2014, Cardiff -  Wales 12–6 SA

Oct 2015, London, - SA 23–19 Wales

Nov 2016 Cardiff - Wales 27–13 SA

News - Tighthead prop crises.  Owen Williams and Rhys Priestland also unavailable.

Ball out, requires should surgery.

Tipuric has a thigh injury and has returned to the Ospreys.

Rhys Webb must pass concussion protocols to face the Springboks.

Last edited by TightHEAD on Fri 1 Dec 2017 - 11:40; edited 11 times in total
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017

Post by Geordie Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:15

mikey_dragon wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:
mikey_dragon wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:C'mon Mikey, stop the poor me BS.

Wales are benefits of their own downfall in this game. No way should SA be back in it, I still can't figure out how they are.

I'm not the only one to think it though, that's why Welsh posters keep leaving the site.

I agree with you. The truth is we're not that good. It's been evident for years we need new backroom staff, and now we desperately need someone to replace Shaun Edwards.

I'm not sure...I think selection and instructions.
The wales I fear and most England fans do is the one that opens up almost Fijian style...running it from everywhere...passing etc . I DO think you have the players...its selection that's the issue.

For one example...you have that winger Stef Evans. Woeful, slow, unimaginative.
I saw Newcastle v Newport in the Anglo Welsh. Yes a poor cup, however Newport had a young lad on the wing called Ashton Hewitt. Now ive only seen him once..but he looked rapid, played off the cuff and was a threat everytime he got the ball. Why is he not in there?

ANd I'm sure that goes for all other positions aswell

Surely selection is the issue!?

It's a bit of everything but above all else we need fresh impetus in the coaching, I mean it seems to work for the Lions. 12 years is a long time for a single coaching time. Guys like Mcbryde and Howley have never had the capability to coach at this level.
We occasionally play Fijian style but it very much depends on a solid set piece and defence, neither of which we had in this match. Funnily enough injuries aside we're actually on the right path regarding selection, none of that same old pick the biggest players available rubbish, we're picking more footballers.

I'm not sure why you think that of Stef Evans, but I think he just had an average game today, he's still relatively new. If you watch him for Scarlets he's involved in most of their length of the field tries. Is there anyone else you think we're missing out on? Hewitt is a good player and has been playing like that ever since his debut, but unfortunately gets injured around Wales selection time. He might be there in the 6N with hopefully some more absentees back for us.

On the plus we've seen guys like Navidi ignored for too long, I've long been an advocate of his. When he gets his chance he's bloody awesome. I like Shingler too but he wasn't as good as he is for Scarlets. Patchell should be well ahead of Priestland.

Ah I have only seen Evans a few times Mikey, maybe I'm doing him a huge disservice...its just the games I have seen him have been pretty bland performances. Hewitt sounds like James Simpson Daniel...what a shame.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017 - Page 3 Empty Re: Wales v South Africa 2nd December 2017

Post by Collapse2005 Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:17

2 wins is poor though especially 2 really unconvincing wins. You should really be beating Australia and hammering SA. Wales are better than that IMO.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:18

Played 4, won 2, lost 2.  If were being honest that was what we'd hoped to get.  The win against Georgia was a  bit drab, but we always play weak teams in the 4th Tier 2 game, and often slip on a banana skin for it.  We nicked a win over one of the big 3 teams, regardless of how dire they have been for the past few years.

Scotland in Cardiff next, who will be talking themselves up and going into it with a lot of confidence, while the Welsh public will be pessimistic, with little pressure on Wales. I think that will suit Wales just fine in all honesty.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:22

Collapse2005 wrote:2 wins is poor though especially 2 really unconvincing wins. You should really be beating Australia and hammering SA. Wales are better than that IMO.

no we aren't with the injuries we have:

Warburton
Ball
Lee
Tipuric
JD2
Williams
North

All key players out

But I am very happy about certain discoveries this autumn; Owen Williams, Josh Navidi who has been outstanding, Hadleigh Parkes. Prestland to some extent.

Also that Stuff Evans is not the answer on the wing.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:32

Gwlad wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:Hadleigh Parks sounds like a housing estate good player though. Wales were terrible but I expect them to be much better in the 6 nations.

We achieved our objective which was 2 wins minimum this term; and with ridiculous injuries as well. We have built strength in depth in the back row and centres.

The 6 Nations will depend on fitness as in almost every position we've been down to 2nd and 3rd picks.

So could we see a fight out between Wales and Italy  for the wooden spoon then?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:37

With all this time off you’ve had Madge, you could’ve at least taught yourself the quote function. Start with that and then teach yourself how to make your posts make an iota of sense.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:42

RiscaGame wrote:With all this time off you’ve had Madge, you could’ve at least taught yourself the quote function. Start with that and then teach yourself how to make your posts make an iota of sense.
Laugh

The SEN is back

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 17:47

A first team looking like this will compete just fine for the 6 Nations next January.

Evans, Owens, Francis
Ball AWJ
Moriarty, Warburton, Faletau
Webb, Biggar
North, O Williams, S Williams, Amos
L Williams.

?, Dacey, Lee, Hill, Navidi, Davies, Priestland, Parkes.

Not sure where we are with loose heads at the moment. Evans the clear first choice but back ups much the same until Gethin fit again lol. Of course the sooner we get JD2 fit the better

Id like to see Charteris and Roberts back in camp.

I still think coaching is odd regarding this non contact off load that just makes us very very lateral. What seems glaring from this term is lack of change makers in the backs with no JD2; perhaps Parkes is the man, seems to be a great footballer as well as having the power to punch it up.

Last edited by Gwlad on Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 23:31; edited 1 time in total

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 19:11

Collapse2005 wrote:2 wins is poor though especially 2 really unconvincing wins. You should really be beating Australia and hammering SA. Wales are better than that IMO.

Why should we be beating Aus and hammering SA? The only team I can think of that we should be beating is Ireland, and we do.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 19:13

Gwlad wrote:A first team looking like this will compete just fine for the 6 Nations next January.

Evans, Owens, Francis
Ball AWJ
Warburton, Navidi, Faletau
Webb, Biggar
L Williams.

?, Dacey, Lee, Hill, Tipuric, Davies, Priestland, Parkes.

Not sure where we are with loose heads at the moment. Evans the clear first choice but back ups much the same until Gethin fit again lol. Of course the sooner we get JD2 fit the better

I still think coaching is odd regarding this non contact off load that just makes us very very lateral. What seems glaring from this term is lack of change makers in the backs with no JD2; perhaps Parkes is the man, seems to be a great footballer as well as having the power to punch it up.

Glad you aren't the selector.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 19:18

2 wins is ok for Wales I think, the minimum I think the management would have wanted. 3 would have been a great AI, 4....

You've been hit hard with injuries, I think you should be reasonably happy.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 19:26

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
munkian wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Parkes looks handy. A back line of Biggar Priestland, Parkes, JD2, North, Williams and somebody with real gas Amos on the other wing could be very interesting if only we can get everyone fit.

Fixed

i'd settle for that but Priestland needs to be consistent and better in possession; he started to get so isolated so easily and was a liability ball in hand.

I'd like to see him come good just not sure he has the confidence to deal with harder days at the office, a bit like ebop who thought Beauden Barrett wasn't up to much this year Laugh

Ands lets face it we all want a Hewitt or Giles but they aint Shane and since Cuffbert is an Eggbert  and ought never to play for Wales again, Amos seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

Other issue we have is AWJ's partner; Ball is a journeyman but i dont rate him, i'd like to see a younger player come on and clam that spot.

Back row looks superb at the moment but front row creaking once Evans Owens and Lee out of the frame.

Is gats banking on Webb leaving Toulon just before RWC otherwise WTF is the point of picking him.

Good to see our Blues has been Hadleigh Parkes helping your side out with a couple of tries so far. No need to thank us, I mean someones gotta score them I suppose. thumbsup

The way you write about your own countrymen just shows you up as low quality

Oh the comments are reserved for you only Gwlad, so unnappreciative of NZ rugby yet here we are again, another Welsh win assisted by yes you guessed it the same NZ coach and another NZ player Wales couldnt wait to take advantage of as soon as he reached puberty, albeit at thirty years old.

I suppose hes one of those non cheating ones as well? At least I appreciate my countrymen, where you should be down on your hands and knees. laughing

Good win Gwlad, I love watching our boys help your sides out. Its so....giving...dont ya think? thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 20:07

Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Good to see our Blues has been Hadleigh Parkes helping your side out with a couple of tries so far. No need to thank us, I mean someones gotta score them I suppose. thumbsup

If only gwlad had some pride to swallow. He no doubt starts from such a low base it’s not worth pointing out the hypocrisy. Would probably shatter his fragile grasp on reality.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 21:34

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Good to see our Blues has been Hadleigh Parkes helping your side out with a couple of tries so far. No need to thank us, I mean someones gotta score them I suppose. thumbsup

If only gwlad had some pride to swallow. He no doubt starts from such a low base it’s not worth pointing out the hypocrisy. Would probably shatter his fragile grasp on reality.

at least I know who the best player in my team is...you rate beaten Barrett as having a poor year and he wins World player so we know just how good a judge of rugby players , and indeed anything else I expect, that you are Laugh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 21:35

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:A first team looking like this will compete just fine for the 6 Nations next January.

Evans, Owens, Francis
Ball AWJ
Warburton, Navidi, Faletau
Webb, Biggar
L Williams.

?, Dacey, Lee, Hill, Tipuric, Davies, Priestland, Parkes.

Glad you aren't the selector.

well go on then mr big balls, why don't you suggest a side

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 21:37

Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
Taylorman wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
munkian wrote:
Gwlad wrote:Parkes looks handy. A back line of Biggar Priestland, Parkes, JD2, North, Williams and somebody with real gas Amos on the other wing could be very interesting if only we can get everyone fit.

Fixed

i'd settle for that but Priestland needs to be consistent and better in possession; he started to get so isolated so easily and was a liability ball in hand.

I'd like to see him come good just not sure he has the confidence to deal with harder days at the office, a bit like ebop who thought Beauden Barrett wasn't up to much this year Laugh

Ands lets face it we all want a Hewitt or Giles but they aint Shane and since Cuffbert is an Eggbert  and ought never to play for Wales again, Amos seems to be the best of a bad bunch.

Other issue we have is AWJ's partner; Ball is a journeyman but i dont rate him, i'd like to see a younger player come on and clam that spot.

Back row looks superb at the moment but front row creaking once Evans Owens and Lee out of the frame.

Is gats banking on Webb leaving Toulon just before RWC otherwise WTF is the point of picking him.

Good to see our Blues has been Hadleigh Parkes helping your side out with a couple of tries so far. No need to thank us, I mean someones gotta score them I suppose. thumbsup

Oh the comments are reserved for you only Gwlad, so unnappreciative of NZ rugby yet here we are again, another Welsh win assisted by yes you guessed it the same NZ coach and another NZ player Wales couldnt wait to take advantage of as soon as he reached puberty, albeit at thirty years old.

I suppose hes one of those non cheating ones as well? At least I appreciate my countrymen, where you should be down on your hands and knees. laughing

Good win Gwlad, I love watching our boys help your sides out. Its so....giving...dont ya think? thumbsup

then why didnt you PM me....you posted a crass remark about one of your own , yet again, and it just shows you up as low quality because you have no loyalty to your own countrymen. But thats ok, you import players and we'll take advantage of those that get passed over and import them ourselves. At least we know how to treat NZers with respect, those that deserve any.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 23:07

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

at least I know who the best player in my team is...you rate beaten Barrett as having a poor year and he wins World player so we know just how good a judge of rugby players , and indeed anything else I expect, that you are Laugh
I do. That’s why Beauden Barrett isn’t a contender for NZR’s player of the year. You think you know what you’re talking about. But you don’t and you just look a bit silly.
picard  Laugh

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/99473112/all-blacks-steve-hansen-not-nominated-for-big-prizes-at-new-zealand-rugby-awards

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 23:14

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

I do. That’s why Beauden Barrett isn’t a contender for NZR’s player of the year. You think you know what you’re talking about. But you don’t and you just look a bit silly.
picard  Laugh

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/99473112/all-blacks-steve-hansen-not-nominated-for-big-prizes-at-new-zealand-rugby-awards

No point trying to do a Trump and re stating what you didnt say before.

You simply said he had a poor year, he didn't he was voted World Player of the year. Fact

I can point you to the posts since you clearly have forgotten them. Doh

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 23:28

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

picard  Laugh

You simply said he had a poor year, he didn't he was voted World Player of the year. Fact

I can point you to the posts since you clearly have forgotten them.  Doh

No Gwlad all his winning serves to do is prove that even when a NZer has an off year hes still seen by mostly non NZers as better than anyone else.

By his own standards, he said he was surprised at the acceptance, it wasnt a great year. In key matches he went missing.

And there are no facts in this game. He simply got more votes than any other player, by people who's opinions matter more in the context of the award which requires a minimum number of matches to win it.

Retallick was our best player this year, except he didnt play enough matches due to circumstances beyond his control.

That you need to desperately pin the naming of Barrett as the be all and end all to your argument with ebop shows how shallow and immature your thinking is, but luckily for Welsh rugby, theyre not all as petty as you.

You need to get off the AB hate wagon, as it will surely destroy your very soul. laughing

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 2 Dec 2017 - 23:32

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

picard  Laugh

You mean when I said....

“Not sure why Beauden Barrett is on the shortlist”

“He’s had an underwhelming year”

Seems NZR agree with me and they know a thing or two about rugby. So who’s the moron eh? Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 1:15

Retallick remains the best player in the world for me. It's a mix of being the best around and the step.down down to the next best nz have that makes it important.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 3:20

ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

picard  Laugh

You mean when I said....

Seems NZR agree with me and they know a thing or two about rugby. So who’s the moron eh? Laugh

You pal, for saying the guy who won The World Player of the Year had an underwhelming year, in fact so much of one your too ignorant to get that you called out the World's best player as underwhelming laughing Yahoo

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 3:54

Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:
ebop wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

picard  Laugh

You mean when I said....

You pal, for saying the guy who won The World Player of the Year had an underwhelming year, in fact so much of one your too ignorant to get that you called out the World's best player as underwhelming laughing Yahoo

And he was, its just our standards are higher than those selecting that award. NZers are saying it, Barrett is saying it, yet overseas folk, including obviously yourself, think he was great.

What part of that dont you get? You might celebrate mediocrity, we dont. We know Barrett could have done much better than he did.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 3:59

There you go again, you think you know more than the panel awarding the World Best player Award

NZ arrogance writ large; I mean I know you are the most geographically out of touch country in the world but it seems also the most out of touch with what the world of rugby really thinks; I think that explains a lot

And in this case NZ arrogance hand in hand with extraordinary ignorance; BB, best player in the world except not in the world you live in. That said ignorance and arrogance often go hand in hand down there doesn't it.

What part of that don't you understand?

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 6:40

Gwlad wrote:There you go again, you think you know more than the panel awarding the World Best player Award

NZ arrogance writ large; I mean I know you are the most geographically out of touch country in the world but it seems also the most out of touch with what the world of rugby really thinks; I think that explains a lot

And in this case NZ arrogance hand in hand with extraordinary ignorance; BB, best player in the world except not in the world you live in. That said ignorance and arrogance often go hand in hand down there doesn't it.

All of it...

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 7:18

Would it not be easier for you guys to start your own bickering thread rather than hijack another one?

It's all starting to get a bit tedious tbh. We get you don't like each other, time to move on.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 7:27

Gwlad wrote:There you go again, you think you know more than the panel awarding the World Best player Award

Yawn...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 7:39

Taylorman wrote:

Yawn...

Yahoo

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 7:39

aucklandlaurie wrote:

All of it...

Hardly surprised you can't follow simple concepts

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 9:12

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Would it not be easier for you guys to start your own bickering thread rather than hijack another one?

It's all starting to get a bit tedious tbh. We get you don't like each other, time to move on.

Gwlad, like myself and many others, has simply fallen into the trap of these incredible WUM's. Gwlad was talking about the game until these keyboard warriors hijacked the thread.

The MOD's really need to look into this as it is totally wrecking this forum with many good posters leaving. These WUM's single out posters and then launch into unrelenting pack like attacks. Its nothing short of internet bullying full of personal attacks to be honest.

On the game yesterday, it was a very good match. Wales were excellent in the first half. In the second half, the Springboks came out with much more intensity than they have in their entire AI campaign. For a side missing so many first choice players, it was a good win.

What was good for Wales this AI, results aside, was the building of strength in depth. Another close 6N between England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland beckons.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 17:26

Gwlad wrote:

Not sure what your criteria is but a few seem to be reputation picks. Gethin, Charteris and Roberts are history now. Nicky Smith and Wyn Jones actually look pretty strong at LH. Rob Evans is a good player, my only criticism of him is he only holds his own in the scrum, he never dominates anyone. North has been off form for two years and there's always the risk of another concussion, so not sure what that selection is all about - maybe Ashton Hewitt to come in. Parkes, Watkin, possibly Tyler Morgan and the return of JD2 negates the need for an off form Scott Williams. Priestland isn't good enough, Patchell should be well ahead, but someone in the coaching team doesn't seem to like him. Dee is definitely better than Dacey, as is Hibbard. With Navidi, Shingler and likely Ollie Griffiths on the scene I don't think we'll be seeing much of Warburton or Tipuric either.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 17:33

eirebilly wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Would it not be easier for you guys to start your own bickering thread rather than hijack another one?

Gwlad, like myself and many others, has simply fallen into the trap of these incredible WUM's. Gwlad was talking about the game until these keyboard warriors hijacked the thread.

The MOD's really need to look into this as it is totally wrecking this forum with many good posters leaving. These WUM's single out posters and then launch into unrelenting pack like attacks. Its nothing short of internet bullying full of personal attacks to be honest.

On the game yesterday, it was a very good match. Wales were excellent in the first half. In the second half, the Springboks came out with much more intensity than they have in their entire AI campaign. For a side missing so many first choice players, it was a good win.

What was good for Wales this AI, results aside, was the building of strength in depth. Another close 6N between England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland beckons.

Despite their display of occasionally Kiwi arrogance, the Kiwi posters are pretty good. They all seem to have this thing with Gwlad though, it's been going on for a while.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 17:34

Another thing, Howley's tactics. Lose to Australia, steal their backs move from which Williams scored that try against the ABs. Lose to NZ, steal their idea of chipping behind the oncoming defence against SA. This guy has been given a living!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 18:38

mikey_dragon wrote:
Gwlad wrote:

Not sure what your criteria is but a few seem to be reputation picks. Gethin, Charteris and Roberts are history now. Nicky Smith and Wyn Jones actually look pretty strong at LH. Rob Evans is a good player, my only criticism of him is he only holds his own in the scrum, he never dominates anyone. North has been off form for two years and there's always the risk of another concussion, so not sure what that selection is all about - maybe Ashton Hewitt to come in. Parkes, Watkin, possibly Tyler Morgan and the return of JD2 negates the need for an off form Scott Williams. Priestland isn't good enough, Patchell should be well ahead, but someone in the coaching team doesn't seem to like him. Dee is definitely better than Dacey, as is Hibbard. With Navidi, Shingler and likely Ollie Griffiths on the scene I don't think we'll be seeing much of Warburton or Tipuric either.

Hairy muff but you still didn't pick a team

I understand what your're saying but I think you are misunderstanding Gatland. Your picks suggest you are dismissing experience out of hand; why stop there, bin off AWJ as well.

He is now planning solely for RWC; knows he has a decent Group and Wales always show at RWC unlike other Home Nations who just fall apart; Ireland for example and England at the last RWC.

I think he won't bin the likes of Warburton and Chartris because he knows he needs that blend of experience and youth. Charteris is only 33 and while RWC may be a push he still may figure. Look at Parkes; why bring in a 30 year old if you have so many alternatives or is he there just to fill in, possibly but unlikely after his showing against SA. Tyler Morgan is made of glass, never takes his chance, like Steff Evans he looks awesome for his club but just not an international yet. There's another centre Beck who we kept hearing is the way forward but gets crocked every 5 minutes. And regards Hewitt; Gats is terrified of smaller players. Although he wants a Shane replicant they just dont exist so he looks for big fast lads to tie up the wings. I dont agree with it but there it is and Hewitt hasn't had his chance.

I simply disagree about Tipuric though Navidi's exceptional autumn just makes it harder for Tips to take advantage of Warburton's latest malaise. Players like Tipuric and Moriarty will be key at RWC.

S Williams may be off form but he has finished well this term and will always be there or thereabouts; I get he isn't a JD2 or even a Jamie Roberts in terms of impact, but he does take his chances and will always be the fringe player. Ultimately we want Owen at 12 but as McGeechan said today, we dont have the tight 5 players to create this attack from anywhere approach yet. North will always figure if he can walk; yes he is not quite the player he could be because he simply isn't as aggressive as his stature would indicate he should be. I'll just about settle on Amos for now but still think he is the best of a poor showing. Priestland is ok but I aint convinced although what else is in the cupboard. Davies failed and the NZ lad Anscombe just showed up with nowhere near as much talent for the job of Welsh 10. Maybe in NZ but not for us.

Gethin; yes he is literally about to snap in two but if fit and on form he will always get a sniff at selection. Gats worships him and he is still a great ball player in the loose, exactly what we need. So he is super old, but with no heir apparent to Evans I would always want a player like Gethin for the last 20 minutes. Putting some of the old guard on the bench is a good way for us to manage the inevitable close finishes Wales always have in a side well known for lacking leadership in those close shaves.

HIbbard is I agree another victim and he must have really pissed someone off, probably Howley's thin skin and I also agree ref Patchell must have too, we know from Lee Byrne that Holwey is prissy.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 19:04

If he's planning for the world cup then I don't think he'll bother with old players. Now would be a good time to alter the backroom staff but that won't happen. It's also a good time to forget about Cuthbert, Priestland, Aled Davies, Roberts and maybe Scott Williams with the emerging centres we have. Parkes might be inexperienced but given his playing style he'll always have a place in the squad if he remains fit. Maybe McNicholl will be in the mix by then too... We're experienced at halfback with Webb, Davies, Biggar and Patchell to step in. Sam Davies is an F for fail, can't believe I was the only one to see it at U20 level. Owen Williams coming on also negates the need for Anscombe who I would refer to as a reliable fourth choice 10.

Behind Owens and Dee I don't think we have anyone decent, that's only why I'd bring back Hibbard, although he'll be 35 at RWC19, not sure if that's considered old and past it. Charteris will be 36 and looks to be struggling around the pitch as it is right now. If you want another Charteris in the tight 5 we should fast-track someone like Adam Beard. Jenkins is 37 so I just can't see him being around for much longer, if he plays on until age 40 I'll be impressed. As it stands Evans, Owens, Francis, Lee, AWJ and Faletau are our experienced forwards. There's hope for Lydiate too as this series showed that we need a solid defender and he did well albeit against the beasty Georgians.

Tips was on fire last season but he doesn't cut it very often for Wales, compared to Navidi who came in and looked like McCaw II (without the offsides Wink ). The only way North should be in this starting team is if he can lose a bit of bulk and play more like Ioane, I'd like to see him coming infield more and looking more interested in defence like he used to be. The best way for that to happen is for him to join Scarlets.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Sun 3 Dec 2017 - 20:07

No mention of Sam? I dont disagree that Navidi showed better than Tips ever has but if we are intent on playing this wider off loading game he has a role, as does Navidi and frankly I would have Navidi on the bench at the least from now on. Looked assured carrying and at the breakdown and is a superb find for the autumn with Owen and Parkes. All in all a sound autumn where we shaved it, we have to face facts that our established players are perhaps on the wane but I wouldn't discard them all so readily yet. experience has shown it is balance with more experience coupled with youthful game changers; right now we seem to have found one I Navidi up front and clearly Parkes, though not youthful, now opens up our midfield into something other than line busting. I am really looking forward to seeing Parkes and Owen bed in with JD2. back 3 is worrisome at the moment with no real depth, likewise front row. And we seemed to have 5 quality locks a season ago but now down to 1 or 2. I would like to see Shingler play there tbh as I don't rate him as being above Moriarty or Lydiate and I think Sam can do the job there with Tips and Navidi battling over 7.And I'm loving Biggar's cultured boot right now, he is quite the layer able to take on new aspects of his game and create 2 tries straight off. I'd like to see this tactic against better sides than SA but I think the risk is counter attack. That said when defenses rush up on first phase it makes a lot of sense. Beauden Barrett, World Player of the Year, is a superb exponent although apparently he has been pretty poor this year.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 11:23

Well done Gwlad. A good sensible post. thumbsup
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 13:22

Well I have been off here for a few days, just fed up of the place.

I have read through this match thread, and if you take all the bickering and wumming from our New Zealand members, and concentrate on the match comments, then it is no wonder why people are leaving this forum.

All I read are swipes at Wales, and how they are getting away with murder. Do people realise, that at one point, the penalty count was 9 to nothing in favour of South Africa ?

The amount cheap shots South Africa were dishing out was unreal. All unpunished, and although their scrum was on top, it was not all one way.

Anyway, it was a chit game, like two baldy men fighting over a comb.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 14:22

LordDowlais wrote:Well I have been off here for a few days, just fed up of the place.

I have read through this match thread, and if you take all the bickering and wumming from our New Zealand members, and concentrate on the match comments, then it is no wonder why people are leaving this forum.

All I read are swipes at Wales, and how they are getting away with murder. Do people realise, that at one point, the penalty count was 9 to nothing in favour of South Africa ?

The amount cheap shots South Africa were dishing out was unreal. All unpunished, and although their scrum was on top, it was not all one way.

Anyway, it was a chit game, like two baldy men fighting over a comb.

This exactly. It must be frustrating for a Wales fan, seeing how teams like the Scarlets are playing, and then watching as Wales play one up offloading aimless rugby.

As a fan of Scotland and having to put up with that sort of drivel for the last 15 years I know your pain. Get Pivac in and horse Gatland and Howley out and IMO Wales will start improving.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by No9 Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 14:29

eirebilly wrote:

The MOD's really need to look into this as it isHAS totally wreckingWRECKED this forum with many good posters leaving. These WUM's single out posters and then launch into unrelenting pack like attacks. Its nothing short of internet bullying full of personal attacks to be honest.

Corrected .. Billy you are spot on, but I'm afraid this site is dead. These aren't WUMs, a good WUM can usually be appreciated by the true rugby fan as it can be good banter. These are TROLLS who's only goal is to ruin the forum and hound posters who try to make genuine comments.

This forum was on its last legs last season, but these trolls have managed to push it over the edge this season which is a pity. I for one, seldom post here anymore and infrequently visit as its near impossible to read a sensible discussion without some brainless troll ruining it. Pointless mentioning them by name as we all know who they are. Well done Morons... you've spoilt it for the true fan again. You can now sit back it your victory you sad b****rds...

Maybe, I'll see some of the genuine posters on other forums from time to time.

No9

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 14:31

We don't know how to create space. That's the bottom line. The coaches seem to think that going wide is the solution but our decoy runners are so unconvincing, and we play so deep, that there are still defenders waiting for us when we get there.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 15:16

No9 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

The MOD's really need to look into this as it isHAS totally wreckingWRECKED this forum with many good posters leaving. These WUM's single out posters and then launch into unrelenting pack like attacks. Its nothing short of internet bullying full of personal attacks to be honest.

Corrected .. Billy you are spot on, but I'm afraid this site is dead. These aren't WUMs, a good WUM can usually be appreciated by the true rugby fan as it can be good banter. These are TROLLS who's only goal is to ruin the forum and hound posters who try to make genuine comments.

This forum was on its last legs last season, but these trolls have managed to push it over the edge this season which is a pity. I for one, seldom post here anymore and infrequently visit as its near impossible to read a sensible discussion without some brainless troll ruining it. Pointless mentioning them by name as we all know who they are. Well done Morons... you've spoilt it for the true fan again. You can now sit back it your victory you sad b****rds...

I agree No 9 its a terrible shame.

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 5 Dec 2017 - 3:58

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:We don't know how to create space. That's the bottom line. The coaches seem to think that going wide is the solution but our decoy runners are so unconvincing, and we play so deep, that there are still defenders waiting for us when we get there.

It should be basic stuff at this level shouldn't it? I get the feeling that the boys go into the training camp and get their instincts trained out of them by clueless Howley and McBryde.

I think we need good all-round locks. AWJ has lost his pace but he's a solid defender and has good handling skills, whilst Ball is a big carrier. I think they compliment each other quite well but it's a little slow. Seb Davies and probably Beard are the future, they seem to have it all. We need carriers in the back-row. Navidi has it all, and Faletau was a little disappointing this autumn. We may as well go with two 7's in the back row but put one of them at 8 - either Navidi or Griffiths.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 6 Dec 2017 - 10:51

Its official, Bath Rugby have been charged for releasing Faletau and now face a hefty fine.

I feel a little appreciation would not go amiss for Bath doing the right thing.

Well done Bath thumbsup
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gwlad Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 8:03

TightHEAD wrote:Its official, Bath Rugby have been charged for releasing Faletau and now face a hefty fine.

Well done Bath thumbsup

oh bugger off will ye

Gwlad

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 8:12

TightHEAD wrote:Its official, Bath Rugby have been charged for releasing Faletau and now face a hefty fine.

Well done Bath thumbsup
I cannot see how agreeing with fellow clubs not to release players and then agreeing the exact opposite with Faletau can be described as "doing the right thing."

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 9:27

If you made a team of the Welsh players missing from the game they would have beaten our starting team.

It was still a good game of rugby which we managed to win putting out a XI that will be very different to the Six Nations.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 11:36

munkian wrote:It was still a good game of rugby which we managed to win
Yeah it was a great game of rugby...as far as two completely crap sides can get laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 12:31

No9 wrote:
eirebilly wrote:

There is a fundamental problem in that the trolls won't go away because you shift forums. Far more likely that the trolls shift too. So if you want to keep using and enjoying these kinds of places leaving is not going to help. There is always the 'foe' option if individual posters get really annoying

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 12:40

munkian wrote:

It was still a good game of rugby which we managed to win putting out a XI that will be very different to the Six Nations.

At least 4 players different I'd say

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next