The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some 2018 Boxing Chat

+30
Atila
RealDeal
milkyboy
El Radar
Marlonz
The Beast
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
No name Bertie
CaledonianCraig
Basset
rapidringsroad
pauline
owen10ozzy
TRUSSMAN66
Eejit
sittingringside
Derbymanc
Nathaniel Jacobs
Pedro147
Fernando
mobilemaster8
smashingstormcrow
melv500
Baby faced assassin
Herman Jaeger
Steffan
alanqlm
Mr Bounce
TheSquaredCircle
3fingers
34 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Some 2018 Boxing Chat - Page 3 Empty Some 2018 Boxing Chat

Post by 3fingers Sat 30 Dec 2017, 12:56 am

First topic message reminder :

Fights I want to see in '18.

Alexanda vs ortis and Whyte vs Brown.

What do you want?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Some 2018 Boxing Chat - Page 3 Empty Re: Some 2018 Boxing Chat

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 03 Aug 2018, 8:28 am

Are they picking up Kovalev vs Alvarez, another interesting light heavyweight fight? Kovalev one of the most entertaining fighters in the game

Bivol’s on the card too for anyone wanting to watch his progession. Bivol on the verge of becoming the next superstar. But Kovalev could take it all away. It’s exciting stuff

I sensed not picking up Garcia vs Easter means they’ve given up

You can give them the benefit of the doubt once but not twice

No more Boxing Matters either, maybe that’s the hint everyone needs- the channel’s no longer dedicated and isn’t worth subscribing to

If they can pick up Tevin Farmer in Australia, how come they can’t pick up Kovalev and Bivol very disappointing

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 04 Aug 2018, 6:08 am

Intense face off:

https://youtu.be/9pRidnxvPsU

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 05 Aug 2018, 8:18 am

Boxing died as soon as Mayweather and McGregor touched gloves.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 05 Aug 2018, 9:17 am

Eleider Alvarez dropped and KO'd Sergey Kovalev to win the WBO light heavyweight title. Alvarez was impressive whereas Kovalev seems mentally done post the Ward defeats.

Bivol won a boring decision against Chilemba.

The light heavyweight division is there for Gvozdyk to take over

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 06 Aug 2018, 9:50 am

Irritates me the Garcia vs Spence fight, gets in the way of the Crawford vs Spence fight which is the one everyone wants to see

Incidentally why wasn’t the Crawford vs Spence fight made already? I thought that was the reason Crawford moved up to fight Spence instead Bob’s calling out Amir Khan

Only seen the knockout but Kovalev will never get back to where he was again he should call it a day the resistance has gone. Few rebuilding fights then someone will do exactly the same thing again

https://youtu.be/dW1S5F1W01M

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Wed 08 Aug 2018, 12:36 pm

Eddie never going to sign Garcia if Mikey beats Spence

Garcias going for Spence because a win over Eroll makes Mikey a big ppv star in his own right

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 10 Aug 2018, 6:22 am

Eddie on purse bids:

https://youtu.be/EeuRAWoCbBs

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 12 Aug 2018, 11:31 am

https://youtu.be/9jPG2HFcCKc

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 18 Aug 2018, 9:57 pm

This Fury fight is appalling..

He has stunk the place out against a useless slob..

Geez these commentators could be reading from a script for Warren...

Wilder by ko..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 19 Aug 2018, 6:55 am; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

Fury got more balls than that bum Joshua. Joshua hiding fighting has beens. Fury going to Vegas to get that WBC belt

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:20 pm

Yeah that was horrendous watch....the way they purr over him is cringe inducing. They speak like he's this phenomenal boxer when what he is is little more than decent in a poor era of heavyweights who have boxing ability..

As for the Wilder fight ...while the American hasn't the best whiskers in the business, Fury hasn't the power to put a dent in it. His best chance is to box his way to a decision...but I can't see him keeping away from a big bomb from what is an awkward gangly fighter.

The attempt to sell the fight afterwards was hilariously bad. Say what you like about Hearn and the SKY machine but at least they aren't amateur in their approach to putting on a show and delivering news in the ring afterwards.

Can I just say, especially to Nathanial who worships Fury to the point he's practically gurgling on his balls, none of these heavyweight are running from one another. Very few fighters are scared of getting in with anyone....the promoters are their to match up and financially take fights that make sense...arguably Joshua not fighting these two is a masterstroke.

Had he fought Wilder this year and won then the American would have been shrugged off as nothing more than the 2nd coming of Jeff Lacy...hype job of the highest order. Had he fought Fury next people would have said how he has been out of ring for 3 years and fought tomato cans and wasn't the same fighter as he was when he retired.

Now...not only does the stock of both Tyson and Wilder go up massively on both sides of the Atlantic...the winner off the fight is legitimized in a way they currently aren't and Joshua can fight either one knowing many of the questions surrounding both will have been answered in their match up. This is the perfect definition of a win win for Joshua.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 18 Aug 2018, 10:25 pm

Joshua is such a bum he and Hearn offered wilder pennies hence why he's now fighting a has been in povetkin. After which Joshua will fight another stiff in Whyte again. Joshua is a coward

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sat 18 Aug 2018, 11:12 pm

Fight to show their are levels to the game, Frampton used that as a warm-up....used his boxing early on, from round 6 he stepped it up & stood in the pocket a little more and forced the pace to an uncomfortable level for Jackson.

Warrington up next by all accounts; wasn't as huge a shock to me when he beat Selby purely because Selby has a very leaky defence and no power...Warrington was his nightmare opponent; a come forward brawler with an engine, inside fighting and a chin.

Should be a very good fight and do think Frampton may have a couple of sticky moments especially if his conditioning isn't tip top, but think he will have just too much as he can do what Warrington does but has the better boxing skills to go alongside it.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sat 18 Aug 2018, 11:15 pm

Wilder sucks fury the king

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Sun 19 Aug 2018, 4:41 am

Totally agree with you Truss, what a disgrace of a heavy weight fight. The likes of Ali Norton and Frazier must be spinning in their graves, and Lewis Foreman Holmes and Klitschko must be toying with the idea of coming out of retirement and having a share of the big money that these clowns are demanding now a days.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Sun 19 Aug 2018, 9:36 am

Pauline I’m more of a reader than a poster on this site but I had to reply to you after watching that rubbish last night. You must be in the Fury camp to even condone that god awful fight spectacle we witnessed I for one hope Wilder shuts the Fury’s up once and for all because they talk an awful lot of nonsense and Tyson definitely doesn’t have the power punch to back it up

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Sun 19 Aug 2018, 9:39 am

Wilder do us all a favour and knock this bum out

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:04 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:This Fury fight is appalling..

He has stunk the place out against a useless slob..

Geez these commentators could be reading from a script for Warren...

Wilder by ko..

The reason this fight is happening? They both desperately need each other as neither will fight Joshua for different reasons.

Fury is not deemed ready yet and going by his showings so far that is fair enough. Wilder won't fight Joshua as he suffers that long held US boxer's illness - a terror and adversity to fighting outside of the U S of A.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sun 19 Aug 2018, 11:40 am

Wilder would get robbed by judges in uk

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:29 pm

I know they are due to fight in Vegas but I dont think he needs to worry about the judges if they were to fight in the UK as he would have no problem in knocking fury out!

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by Basset Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:29 pm

I know they are due to fight in Vegas but I dont think he needs to worry about the judges if they were to fight in the UK as he would have no problem in knocking fury out!

Basset

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 19 Aug 2018, 1:37 pm

pauline wrote:Wilder would get robbed by judges in uk

And Joshua would get robbed by judges in the US. Bottom line is that Joshua has more belts and more pulling power but Wilder cannot accept that and so has thrown his dummy out and is trying to kid people a fight against Fury is THE fight.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:13 pm

Joshua has no pulling power. The money in boxing is in the USA and Joshua is basically a nobody over there.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by pauline Sun 19 Aug 2018, 2:35 pm

I agree aj is a nobody in usa

pauline

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 19 Aug 2018, 5:18 pm

Wilder is a nobody in the USA and he's WBC champ.

One thing that this fight will do is rid us of a mediocre heavyweight.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 19 Aug 2018, 6:25 pm

WBC the most iconic belt. Joshua is no more than a paper chumpion. Gifted the IBF/WBO belts against Charles Martin and Joseph Parker. Got gifted the vacant WBA belt. Joshua is the biggest bum at heavyweight

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 19 Aug 2018, 10:39 pm

Not sure you can really describe a unified champ at heavyweight a "Bum". Granted he's been managed in a very specific way (to make money for his promoter - there's a shock), and Charles Martin was a VERY weak champion, but AJ's done ok, and has specifically gone looking for the belts. It's no surprise he beat Parker (who I didn't rate much anyway), but I think we should give AJ some credit for the Wlad fight. It was everything you could want in a heavyweight fight - two superbly conditioned athletes basically going for it. That last uppercut was a belter of a punch. Would you really rather have Manuel Charr as your WBA champ???

As stated above by owen10ozzy, none of these heavyweights want to avoid each other. It's the work of their promoters not wanting to risk their cash cows or deeming the deal not good enough for their fighters. Wilder's people clearly didn't want to travel and also wanted more money. Joshua's people obviously felt their guy was worth more than Wilder. Swings and roundabouts - both are to blame. Cue Fury's people (who aren't afraid of travelling as they beat Wlad in Germany) jumping in and challenging Wilder, who's taken the bait.

As for Joshua fighting a "has-been" in Povetkin, remember this is a Mandatory defence, and the WBA would have stripped AJ if he'd said no. More belts = more bargaining power so take care of the mandatories and then go for the big unification. The WBA had given the Wilder & Joshua camps time to make a deal - the deal was never finalised so they enforced their No1 contender instead.

Talking of mandatories, the WBC seems to not worry too much about Wilder taking care of his. From what I recall, aside from his 1 round blowout of Bermane Stiverne (who stood in for WBC #1 Ortiz who'd failed a drug test), he's never faced a mandatory. He's been champ since January 2015, twice managing to avoid Povetkin (through no fault of his own). I feel for Dillian Whyte because he's done everything asked of him by becoming the WBC's #1 contender, before they inexplicably made Dominic Breazeale their preferred opponent over him. Now it seems that Fury's jumped over everyone. Money talks. An undefeated former unified and linear champ is worth more than a contender, even if he doesn't really deserve it after last night's showing.

So, we have a mandatory for Joshua, an intriguing bout for Fury and Wilder and who knows what for Whyte. The IBF has put together Pulev vs Hughie Fury in October for the No1 contender status and Jarrell Miller is fighting a 41-year old Tomasz Adamek, also in October. I won't worry about the farce that is Charr vs Oquendo for the WBA regular belt. Plus Chisora beat Takam unexpectedly so maybe a rematch with Whyte?

The HW scene is far from top drawer but it is active - a lot more interesting than when Wlad was king of the hill.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 20 Aug 2018, 3:29 pm

Wilder/Joshua sholuld be next up so we’re being messed around and seeing as we’re being made to wait would be quite funny if Povetkin landed the big one a lot of money down the drain but he won’t of course he’s washed up will go down early imo to avoid any serious damage clearly Wilder’s worth a percentage of the Joshua fight but Eddy’s thinking about that right hand and can sell out fighting anyone and if flagship Joshua loses DAZN could go tits up with Eddy unable to attract as yet the kind of fighters it needs

Not worried for DAZN at the minute but have they miscalculated in not offering the same price as ESPN?  These costs mount up and are irritating. Have they miscalculated in only giving one month away? Shouldn’t they be giving the first four or six months? A little bit of good will. They won’t people to like tuning into their channel. Don’t they need to be making exposure a priority at this stage? I guess they’ll have a free to air thing going on so let’s see maybe everyone’s being pessimistic

Finkel being fairly honest at 16.09s of a good interview:

https://youtu.be/xXlymyFHmqY

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 20 Aug 2018, 7:01 pm

Anthony Joshua has beaten everyone put in front of him, including title holders and former title holders. He is four years younger than Deontay Wilder, so time is on his side.

I still think Joshua needs to improve in his movement and defence. Stamina issues were a concern, but they are becoming less of a concern. The HW division is fairly weak at the moment. I think Wilder is the most dangerous boxer in terms of his power and knockout ability. Many say Wilder lacks boxing skills - but maybe he is improving too.

I think Dylan Whyte is a much better boxer / fighter now than when he first fought Joshua. I think Tyson Fury is not ready to face Wilder and seems likely to get knocked out.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue 21 Aug 2018, 4:01 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:Wilder/Joshua sholuld be next up so we’re being messed around and seeing as we’re being made to wait would be quite funny if Povetkin landed the big one a lot of money down the drain but he won’t of course he’s washed up will go down early imo to avoid any serious damage clearly Wilder’s worth a percentage of the Joshua fight but Eddy’s thinking about that right hand and can sell out fighting anyone and if flagship Joshua loses DAZN could go tits up with Eddy unable to attract as yet the kind of fighters it needs

Not worried for DAZN at the minute but have they miscalculated in not offering the same price as ESPN?  These costs mount up and are irritating. Have they miscalculated in only giving one month away? Shouldn’t they be giving the first four or six months? A little bit of good will. They won’t people to like tuning into their channel. Don’t they need to be making exposure a priority at this stage? I guess they’ll have a free to air thing going on so let’s see maybe everyone’s being pessimistic

Finkel being fairly honest at 16.09s of a good interview:

https://youtu.be/xXlymyFHmqY
I think what that shows (the youtube interview) is the importance of getting all sides of the story. This is not just the case for sporting stories but also all "news" stories.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 21 Aug 2018, 10:55 pm

In the WBSS it looks like the Cruisers are going at it again.

https://fightnews.com/wbss-cruiserweights-return-for-season-ii/28374

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 24 Aug 2018, 10:41 am

https://youtu.be/Q7-tOa_-EWE

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 26 Aug 2018, 10:24 pm

Jose Pedraza beat Raymundo Beltran to win the WBO lightweight title and set up a unification bout with WBA/Ring champion Vasyl Lomachenko.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 27 Aug 2018, 12:49 am

https://youtu.be/SCBcT8_9G9c

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue 28 Aug 2018, 11:56 am

I guess most people already know it but a bit of interesting and useless information Porter beat Usyk in the amateurs:

https://youtu.be/rLVNQF-C75Y

https://www.boxingforum24.com/threads/shawn-porter-beat-usyk-in-the-amateurs.578416/

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 29 Aug 2018, 9:53 pm

https://fightnews.com/wbss-season-ii-cruiser-lineup-set/29010

Not nearly as good as the first one, but that's no surprise. Got to say the final's likely to be Breidis against Dorticos or Glowacki. Hopefully we'll get to see a fight like Gassiev against Dorticos at some point. Maybe the winner fights Usyk?

Loving these WBSS competitions - in my eyes they're the future. Can they do a heavyweight one please?

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Fri 07 Sep 2018, 7:49 pm

‘...my aim is to be a market leader’

You wouldn’t bet against him lol

Eddie still talking for England

Barry’s created a monster lol

https://youtu.be/XK_zsmx6qCQ

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sat 08 Sep 2018, 1:20 pm

Good little fight tonight

A win for Garcia would be a career best performance even better than the Matthysse win

Can’t rule Garcia out but let’s be honest it took team Porter three years to get this fight

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat 08 Sep 2018, 5:29 pm

I would like to see Porter win this. I've never really liked Garcia as he always seemed to care more about protecting his "0" than fighting decent opposition before finally committing to the unification bout. Glad he fought Thurman but it's a shame that Thurman has been injured because I think the rematch would have been more emphatically Keith's. Garcia spent a lot of time waiting for Thurman to attack before trying to counter.

Porter always has a good work ethic and is in good shape. Think he edges it for me in a hard battle. Happy for Garcia to prove me wrong though.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 08 Sep 2018, 6:44 pm

Carl Froch's jealousy of Amir Khan is a little embarrassing. Suck it up Carl, you'll always be remembered for talking a good game against Andre Ward, but getting absolutely embarrassed is your legacy of fighting in America.

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 08 Sep 2018, 10:27 pm

Khan down once, and Vargas down twice in the first three rounds. Khan so open to the overhand right. Brook loving it

Khan has looked terrible tonight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 08 Sep 2018, 11:10 pm

Khan beats Vargas by unanimous decision 119-108 119-109 118-110. Khan was laboured against a very limited opponent. Even a shot PacMan KOs him

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:44 am

Khan brings nothing to the table for any of the top guys in the division. He shouldn't even be PPV anymore. Labours against the 7th ranked WW on Boxrec. The top 6 destroy him with ease and I see nothing to suggest he can up his game nowadays. The chin is always going to be his big problem, and age plus the knockouts will catch up very soon.

One big final payday with Brook then off into the sunset is the logical move. I suspect though that his ego will convince him to drag his career out, and with that chin, he will suffer some real damage if he does that

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by The Beast Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:12 am

Agreed, nothing has changed, good foot movement, hand speed is incredible however relies on it not really setting attacks up with a plan. Massive issues staying in the pocket too long, exiting punching range backwards in straight lines with his hands down and for me he has always had issues concentrating for 12 rounds. Chin from the waist up, if that was Brook or any top WW landing that 2nd round right hand he may well have not been able to get up, Vargas is no puncher.

Welborn v Langford domestic fight of the year, Fitzgerald has a lot of work to do and Eggington, err what was he doing.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 09 Sep 2018, 8:55 am

Shawn Porter beat Danny Garcia by unanimous decision 116-112 115-113 115-113 to win the vacant WBC welterweight championship. Porter's aggregation was the difference. Looks likely to be Spence jr vs Porter unification next

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:10 am

Have never rated Porter, he’s not elite, and he looked pretty average against Brook, way back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sun 09 Sep 2018, 9:34 am

Porter's a good fighter if a bit ungainly at times. Garcia seems to have been exposed as welterweight or its the step up in level

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun 09 Sep 2018, 10:02 am

I wouldn’t have minded a draw in the Porter/Garcia fight very hard to separate them at the end stone draw I would say looked like Shawn was going to take over just before the half way point but he didn’t

Amir knows deep down he has to beat a top two or three welterweight to get a Pacquiao fight doesn’t deserve a Manny fight off the back of last night. Thought Kell was going to fight a top 154 pounder what happened to that. Brook/Khan needs building it’s a nothing fight for me at the minute. Trouble is will they stay undefeated if they do the aforementioned another loss for either and the fight’s dead Amir doesn’t want the work though

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 10 Sep 2018, 11:26 am

Arum: ‘Why did DAZN choose an Englishman to be their promoter’

https://youtu.be/UNtHaBxhwBY

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Marlonz Mon 10 Sep 2018, 2:09 pm

Herman Jaeger wrote:I wouldn’t have minded a draw in the Porter/Garcia fight very hard to separate them at the end stone draw I would say looked like Shawn was going to take over just before the half way point but he didn’t

Amir knows deep down he has to beat a top two or three welterweight to get a Pacquiao fight doesn’t deserve a Manny fight off the back of last night. Thought Kell was going to fight a top 154 pounder what happened to that. Brook/Khan needs building it’s a nothing fight for me at the minute. Trouble is will they stay undefeated if they do the aforementioned another loss for either and the fight’s dead Amir doesn’t want the work though

Agreed. But he's obsessed with Pacquiao and has been ever since he chose to work with Roach. Remember when he started mimicking Manny's trademark mannerisms in the ring once he started training at the Wild Card?!

Also, didn't he say (in various interviews last month) that he wasn't going to chase Pacquiao anymore, only to go back to chasing him!! Really does remind me of the film "Single White Female"... But the bottom line is that he hasn't earnt a shot at Manny, as faded as he is. He's never won a world title at 147 and has fought the likes of Vargas, Lo Greco and a post-Pac thrashed Algieri since 2015.

Marlonz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next