The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

+38
Tramptastic
RDW
BigGee
tigertattie
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
jimbopip
Eejit
EWT Spoons
Hazel Sapling
21st Century Schizoid Man
Cambo
EST
des
TJ
VinceWLB
Welly
NeilyBroon
Majestic83
munkian
MacKnocked-on
Geordie
demosthenes
Scottrf
furra_linee
LordDowlais
RuggerRadge2611
A Simply Mesmeric Try
BamBam
highland_scot
IanBru
reallybored
nickj
lostinwales
tatterd
LondonTiger
R!skysports
42 posters

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 Empty The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by R!skysports Wed 03 Jan 2018, 10:51 am

First topic message reminder :

Bicker away......

A nice video to start with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds9dwHAfy_M

Glasgow Warriors are one of the two professional rugby union sides from Scotland. The team plays in the Pro14 league and in the European Professional Club Rugby tournaments. In the 2014-15 season they won the Pro12 title and became the first Scottish team to win a major trophy in rugby union's professional era. #theyrock

Edinburgh Rugby (formerly Edinburgh Reivers, Edinburgh Gunners and a real rugby team) is one of the two professional rugby teams from Scotland, although hard to determine if they play rugby. The club competes dances in the Pro14, along with Glasgow Warriors, its oldest rival. Since January 2017, Edinburgh plays most of its home games at Myreside Stadium with selected matches at BT Murrayfield.

kiss

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 Davefr10

Last edited by R!skysports on Fri 05 Jan 2018, 9:55 am; edited 2 times in total

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 04 May 2018, 9:09 am

Can't see us getting Price in this deal, but Pyrgos....maybe.

I could understand why weegies would be reluctant, and as I say, logically we should look elsewhere and try and get a 9 who wouldn't weaken Glasgow, but in theory my solution does make some sense.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 Empty Re: The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war…..

Post by tigertattie Fri 04 May 2018, 9:50 am

Henners for Fowles

Thats like swapping Teddy Sherringham of Man United (a mature headed, solid and a tad under-rated player) for Fabio McTavish at a local Jnr club (an immature, gobby, useless, full of his own self importance, waste of space player)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri 04 May 2018, 10:47 am

I think Fowles is capable of being a good SH.  He's had very good games in the past.  His debut against Ulster at Goldenacre was excellent and he was easily first choice at the end of last season.

It seems like he's playing how he's been told to play rather than thinking for himself and that his confidence is extremely low.  I'm sure he can feel the dread washing over the crowd when he comes on.

Mike Blair still lives in Edinburgh, maybe we could just have him instead.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 04 May 2018, 10:48 am

Someone want to make a Munster-Edinburgh thread? Team is out at midday.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 May 2018, 11:49 am

Morning folks!

As of 10pm last night, I'm done doing utterly filthy things (thanks Jimbo and Schitz), so I can actually concentrate on nice things. Like rugby and kittens.

I'd be quietly pleased with Pyrgos going to Edinburgh, as it seems a good fit. He's probably the most complete scrum half currently playing in Scotland - good kicking game, fairly accurate distribution and solid in the tackle. I just think he's been a bit jaded at Glasgow for the last couple of seasons. Perhaps the best aspect of his game from an Edinburgh point of view is his knack of running support lines for wingers who make outside breaks - Edinburgh are doing that for fun right now!

All that being said, if Fowles goes to Scotstoun I will start a small forest fire. Ditch Fowles at Edinburgh and give Charlie Shiel some game time next season. Maybe Vallacott to Glasgow? Granted a SH trio of Horne Minimus, Niko and Gentle Ben would be utterly bats**t.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 04 May 2018, 12:18 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Someone want to make a Munster-Edinburgh thread? Team is out at midday.

Done

https://www.606v2.com/t67507-pro14-qf-munster-vs-edinburgh-05-05#3702667

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 May 2018, 1:51 pm

IanBru wrote:Morning folks!

As of 10pm last night, I'm done doing utterly filthy things (thanks Jimbo and Schitz), so I can actually concentrate on nice things. Like rugby and kittens.

So you're done doing filthy things?

A Pauline Conversion on the road to Gateshead?

Or is it the full Anatole France?,  "The people have spoken; the bastards!"

What are these Luvvies like? They finally achieve a half-semi and can't even be bothered to make a thread. If it wasn't for hard working, salt of the Earth proletariat like Gee there would be nowhere for them to wonder whether they have enough ex-Wariors in good enough form to scrape a win.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 04 May 2018, 1:59 pm

jimbopip wrote:
IanBru wrote:Morning folks!

So you're done doing filthy things?

A Pauline Conversion on the road to Gateshead?

Or is it the full Anatole France?,  "The people have spoken; the bastards!"

What are these Luvvies like? They finally achieve a half-semi and can't even be bothered to make a thread. If it wasn't for hard working, salt of the Earth proletariat like Gee there would be nowhere for them to wonder whether they have enough ex-Wariors in good enough form to scrape a win.

Can I refer you to the post literally above your one Very Happy

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 May 2018, 2:05 pm

Silly me MrSpoons.

I was so busy mastering the quote function that it somehow lodging in my brain that BigGee took a break from singlehandedly holding up the crumbling edifice that once was Nye Bevan's gift to future generations just to dig you lazy Luvvies out of your pits of sloth.

Mea Culpa. (In Cowcaddens the above counts as a fulsome and contrite apology).

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Fri 04 May 2018, 4:20 pm

jimbopip wrote:I was so busy mastering the quote function that it somehow lodging in my brain that BigGee took a break from singlehandedly holding up the crumbling edifice that once was Nye Bevan's gift to future generations just to dig you lazy Luvvies out of your pits of sloth.
I grew up watching old tapes of Not the Nine O'Clock News (bless my parents), quoting whole segments without really knowing what it was about. My mum went absolutely mental when, aged six, I started saying in a welsh accent:

"In a moment like this, I have to wonder what Nye Bevan would have done. And I'm preeety sure... he would have sh@t in his pants."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 04 May 2018, 4:52 pm

IanBru wrote:
jimbopip wrote:I was so busy mastering the quote function that it somehow lodging in my brain that BigGee took a break from singlehandedly holding up the crumbling edifice that once was Nye Bevan's gift to future generations just to dig you lazy Luvvies out of your pits of sloth.
I grew up watching old tapes of Not the Nine O'Clock News (bless my parents), quoting whole segments without really knowing what it was about. My mum went absolutely mental when, aged six, I started saying in a welsh accent:

"In a moment like this, I have to wonder what Nye Bevan would have done. And I'm preeety sure... he would have sh@t in his pants."

I don't blame Mrs Stones the Elder at all.

If I had a bairn and he started speaking like a Welshman, I'd throttle him too!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 04 May 2018, 6:03 pm

Bru, stop the prevaricatin' .

St Paul on the road to the Gateshead Metro

Or

The full Anatole France?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 06 May 2018, 9:58 am

Edinburgh sent out an email thanking everyone for their support and closed with this:

Keep an eye on your inboxes, and stay tuned to our website and social media channels, for some landmark announcements which we will share with you as we put the foundations in place for yet another thrilling chapter in the future of the club.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 06 May 2018, 10:13 am

You would imagine that is going to be something about the playing arrangements for next year, how mini murrayfield is going to shape up.

Edinburgh do seem to have got a team these days, all they need now is some supporters to go with it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 07 May 2018, 5:38 am

I just turned 41. That's more than 5 x IanBru's and more than 8 x GLove's.

I'm not happy about it. That's all I'm saying.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 07 May 2018, 9:49 am

Just think how Jimbo must feel! 

I was at the pub with some 22 year olds yesterday - damn them with their youth and enthusiasm.

P.s. happy birthday!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 07 May 2018, 3:35 pm

Happy birthday GC, youngwhippersnapper that you are.

I spent this afternoon being dragged round a garden centre and now we have the Princess Daughter and Feckless Rogue for a Barbie. I know we live in Essex but WTF?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 08 May 2018, 5:19 am

jimbopip wrote:Happy birthday GC, youngwhippersnapper that you are.

I spent this afternoon being dragged round a garden centre and now we have the Princess Daughter and Feckless Rogue for a Barbie. I know we live in Essex but WTF?

Garden centres in Dubai are very good. A lot like home but with more palm trees and more furniture made of vibranium and folded 100 dib notes. IKEA, unfortunately, is also exactly the same as it is at home. Check your hope and personality at the door as you pick up your meatballs and contract with Satan.

Speaking about Satan, why has our pack disintegrated towards the end of the season and why has our form generally done the same?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Tue 08 May 2018, 11:34 am

George, a very merry unbirthday to you.

I'm not sure that our pack/form has disintegrated recently. But I do think a couple of domestic fowl have returned to roost.

Firstly, having achieved the home semi there would seem to have been a slight drop in intensity; but that is only natural.

Secondly, and here I am concerned, DR seems to be the Anti-Tombola. He seems to pick his best 23 and play them till they drop. I said at the time that taking the best 23 available to Bloemfontain to thrash the Cheetahs was fine but expecting those same players to fly back to Glasgow, have a night in their own beds, a quick Paris Bun and Irn Bru for breakfast and then fly down to Execeterr was not a great idea. Having taken fecc all from that game DR then had no choice but to play the same 23 against the Ladyboys.

I think that Ladyboys match could hold the answer to your question. We were comfortably in control until two "lapses in concentration" gifted them two tries. But, here's the thing: tired minds make mistakes. The high speed, high tempo game we have been trying to play means players have to be mentally alert for the whole 80 minutes; able to see the gaps and make the right decisions quickly. This is as much about speed of thought as of hands and feet. In the last month or so of the campaign a lot of players have looked absolutely cream crackered.
The one area where this is most apparent is in the second row. Naughty Boy has been missing for the longest time, Oscar Peterson has not really been fit enough to put together a string of matches, Cummings had a run until he was injured and little Jonny was flogged until he too, eventually, was dragged off to the infirmary. I think we have seen Rob Harley play more in the second row this season than at any other time.
Also, as far as the Anti-Tombola goes, DR seems to have tried to get through the season using the same 6 front rowers whenever possible.
Kebble/Bhatti- Brown/Turner-Zander/Nuke
Now Kebble is crocked and who will be playing in the semi? Alex Allen, and when did he last have a run out? (actually fairly recently but you see my point). If Zander or Nuke are injured in training then we call on Darcy Rae who last played when flares were fashionable.

In short GC, a mixture of "job's done let's save our energy for the semi" and players desperately in need of a rest being flogged to exhaustion.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 14 May 2018, 6:09 pm

Anybody else starting to get the nerves?

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 14 May 2018, 6:37 pm

Hard to tell - no one's made a thread yet! And here's Jimbo trying to noise up the Edinburgh fans about the lack of interest in our game...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 15 May 2018, 9:39 am

Rennie has come out and said there has been no discussions around one of Glasgow's 9s moving to Edinburgh. Could by lying, could be at a high level still and not involved him (unlikely).

Wonder if that is the end of that, and Price, Horne and Pyrgos will be staying at Glasgow.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2018, 9:43 am

Yeah he didn’t sound best pleased about it, understandably. I suspect it was a deliberate ploy by cockers to up the ante with the SRU or get them to make a decision – he needs a decent 9 and saying he’s going to steal one the Glasgow 9’s, whether that really is the plan or not, should get things moving.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2018, 10:58 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hard to tell - no one's made a thread yet! And here's Jimbo trying to noise up the Edinburgh fans about the lack of interest in our game...
The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 61p5Voc6cpL._SY463_
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2018, 11:00 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Hard to tell - no one's made a thread yet! And here's Jimbo trying to noise up the Edinburgh fans about the lack of interest in our game...
Also not true:
https://www.606v2.com/t67538-glasgow-warriors-vs-scarlets
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 May 2018, 11:39 am

Given that my post was before the thread existed I stand by my comment!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 15 May 2018, 12:53 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Given that my post was before the thread existed I stand by my comment!
The average age of a Scotland Front row is nnnnnnnnn19 - A thread for Glasgow and Edinburgh go to banter war….. - Page 17 Mr-ped11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Wed 16 May 2018, 8:28 pm

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/new-deal-for-juan-figallo/

Taylor stays at Sarries until 2021. Should take him through career now.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 May 2018, 8:31 pm

Vote of confidence for Taylor's concussion woes of late to give him a long term deal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 May 2018, 9:29 pm

What do you call a Scottish professional rugby player with silverware?

An Edinburgh player

Goodnight. I'll get me coat
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 May 2018, 8:05 am

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/05/19/glasgow-preparing-future-half-team-new-players-next-season/

Sounds like Glasgow do indeed have some significant reinforcements lined up for next season, possibly about 7 of them according to the article.

Not a stand off though, sounds like he has confidence in Hastings and Horne. Mainly in the pack you would imagine, talks about the need to generate more 'go forward'

All Glasgow fans having been watching them recently would agree with that.

Can't wait to find out who they might be!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Sun 20 May 2018, 9:31 am

I'd be glad to see Hastings grab the opportunity next season. I think it's important from a Scotland perspective that he does.

My friend who supports quins seems to think Lang is a pretty decent prospect. Would be interesting to see if he makes the move north though I'd suggest Edinburgh would be more likely if he does.

Forwards, maybe more SH players looking to make it in the NH. We could do with some gnarly illegitimate childen aka Pal Joeys to give the opposition difficulty.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 20 May 2018, 11:55 am

If Lang comes north, he should go to Edinburgh. Horne, Hastings, Jackson and Thomson have all played 10 (add S Johnson to that as well). Is Heathcote worth a dual deal with LS? See if he can get some consistency back assuming he wants to continue playing.

Glasgow could do with a LH (Kebble has not been good), HK (Brown injury prone, Turner small, Malcolm not trusted) and BS/8. Not sure we need 6-7 new players, 3 or 4 should be enough. Weird to think that 2 of those 3 were Reid and Strauss (and I was generally supportive of them moving on Doh )

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 May 2018, 11:59 am

Edinburgh have plenty 10/12s next season - don't think we need him

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 May 2018, 12:09 pm

Also, Josh Strauss is exactly the kind of player Glasgow needed this season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 20 May 2018, 12:25 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh have plenty 10/12s next season - don't think we need him

10 - Hickey, JVDW, Socino*, Baggot**
12 - Scott, Dean, Socino, Bennett*
13 - Bennett, Scott*, Dean*, Hutchison**(?), Taylor**(?)

*Cover
**Academy

If Bennett, Dean and Scott are injured/called up by Scotland (a realistic expectation in November and over the 6 nations), centre becomes quite thin. Admittedly, Hutchinson from Saints would make more sense as more of a 13.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 May 2018, 12:39 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Edinburgh have plenty 10/12s next season - don't think we need him

10 - Hickey, JVDW, Socino*, Baggot**
12 - Scott, Dean, Socino, Bennett*
13 - Bennett, Scott*, Dean*, Hutchison**(?), Taylor**(?)

*Cover
**Academy

If Bennett, Dean and Scott are injured/called up by Scotland (a realistic expectation in November and over the 6 nations), centre becomes quite thin. Admittedly, Hutchinson from Saints would make more sense as more of a 13.

True but the squads have a limited budget - our midfield will be taking up a reasonable chunk of that so I'd be surprised if he would want someone else. Scott, Dean and in truth Bennett are well down the pecking order for Scotland just now (rightly or wrongly) so it would take a number of injuries for them to be called up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 May 2018, 12:43 pm

Also, in an emergency (which it would be) I'm sure one of the 10s could play 12 or fife move to 13

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 May 2018, 1:20 pm

Taylor has just signed a long term deal with Sarries, he is going nowhere. I am pretty sure Lang signed for Quins for two years, so will probably be there for at least another season. He won't be coming this year either.

There was a rumour of Hutchinson coming to Glasgow, but nothing more was heard of it, as was the case for all rumours involving potential Glasgow recruits.

Another rumour was that we were after Blade Thompson, who has now signed for Scarlets. He did an interview this weekend and interestingly, he made it quite clear that he considers himself to be SQ via his grandfather. A good player, who I am sure would interest Toonie. Could be the ball carrying BS that Scotland need.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 20 May 2018, 1:51 pm

George Taylor is an academy player according to wiki BG. Duncan Taylor would be first choice at either side in Scotland. Can't imagine Lang or Hutchinson would require much money.

Thompson would have been a great option for Glasgow. I would hope Toonie ignores him with Bradbury and Fagerson improving. Should at least force "kilted kiwis" to sign for a year or two in Scotland, not get parachuted into the World Cup side unless he turns out to be a rich man's Scott Fardy.

Who is actually rumoured to Glasgow at this point? I thought Hogg was rumoured to be a buy-out (transfer) candidate for Montpellier.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 May 2018, 3:08 pm

There really have been no rumours really, other than a few silly ones (Haskell and Cipriani), thankfully now discounted.

I am expecting a few SH players, probably that we are not that familiar with and hopefully with Scottish Grannies and likely Luke Hamilton as well. DR fortunately knows the market back home and will hopefully be able to mine it.

Hogg is not going anywhere this coming season, though I fully expect him to be off at the end of it. He will get made an offer he can't refuse and one that we certainly won't be able to compete with.

Hopefully now our season is over, we can now get fed a few names to cheer us up over the summer.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 20 May 2018, 4:04 pm

There are a couple of whispers leaking from Scotstoun that are concerning me.
Firstly, Stuart Hogg was seen driving away from the ground just before kick off.

Secondly, there seems to be a rift opening up between DR and some of the Scotland players. Bear in mind; Price, Dunbar,Jones,Hogg all missed Friday's debacle.
Add in Jason O'Halloran's parting shot that some Scottish players are too mentally fragile to accept constructive criticism and it doesn't sound too rosy.
In the Telegraph today DR says ,"We're losing eight or nine....bringing in six or seven". I wonder why he doesn't know exactly how many are leaving, or arriving.
Interesting weeks ahead, methinks.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 May 2018, 5:33 pm

[quote="jimbopip"]There are a couple of whispers leaking from Scotstoun that are concerning me.
Firstly, Stuart Hogg was seen driving away from the ground just before kick off.

quote]

Hoggy was in the changing room just before the kick off, when he was pulled, you saw him on the sky coverage. He looked like he was in bits about it, really upset. It's the second time it has happened to him this season before an important game. Probably not surprising he headed off, especially if he needed to go and sit on the bog for 24 hours. I would not read anything into that.

Trying to balance up the needs of all the international players in the Glasgow squad is never going to be easy and is the challenge for any coach. You have to say though that none of the players mentioned had really put up their hands to be selected this season. Picking players on reputation never really works and just demoralises other members of the squad who may be playing well.

I would say that O'Hallrohan has a point about the Scottish players being a bit fragile mentally. They have shown it several times this season, not least on Friday night. That is gong to be the aim of the coaching team to try and address that and they will need to if they want to play with the big boys.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by David-Douglas Sun 20 May 2018, 8:06 pm

The last two posts above are a worry and and I have to say from what I’ve seen in the last few weeks not entirely unexpected.
When DR was appointed I thought it was a fantastic piece of work by the SRU, now I’m having my doubts.
I’m not sure if the fairly dreadful recent Glasgow performances are down to the coach or down to quite a few of the players thinking that because they’re first choice for Glasgow that they’re the best thing since sliced pan loaf. A decent coach would be telling these guys they’re big fish in a relatively small pond, a bit like Cockers has done at Edinburgh.

David-Douglas

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 20 May 2018, 10:23 pm

As much as DR wants to foster a positive team environment off the pitch, I wonder if he maybe needs to put the players on a bit of a tighter leash next season. Obviously we only see what's on social media, but it's certainly fair to say a lot of the Glasgow players are a sociable bunch. 

They also love an endorsement - I was amazed to see Hogg, Pyrgos and Dunbar staying at the Trump resort, playing golf and eating a fancy dinner at the chef's table on Tuesday. Now I know it was their day off and it's not as if they were getting smashed, but I can't imagine Cockerill would have allowed any of his players to do that 3 days before the biggest game of the season! Walking 18 holes round a golf course isn't exactly a rest day.

There's a lot of big personalities in the Glasgow team and you can get away with these kind of things if you're performing - currently the big names are not.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 20 May 2018, 11:16 pm

He might stop them going back to the Trump resort in future if that is where Hoggy got his food poisoning!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 21 May 2018, 8:35 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:As much as DR wants to foster a positive team environment off the pitch, I wonder if he maybe needs to put the players on a bit of a tighter leash next season. Obviously we only see what's on social media, but it's certainly fair to say a lot of the Glasgow players are a sociable bunch. 

They also love an endorsement - I was amazed to see Hogg, Pyrgos and Dunbar staying at the Trump resort, playing golf and eating a fancy dinner at the chef's table on Tuesday. Now I know it was their day off and it's not as if they were getting smashed, but I can't imagine Cockerill would have allowed any of his players to do that 3 days before the biggest game of the season! Walking 18 holes round a golf course isn't exactly a rest day.

There's a lot of big personalities in the Glasgow team and you can get away with these kind of things if you're performing - currently the big names are not.
Yes, agreed. We seem to zone out a little bit after a good Six Nations. Perhaps not used to modest success. 

Rennie has one more season to really earn his money and he cannot Do An Alan Solomons next season and claim that he did not control all aspects of it. 

Let's see whom he brings in. He has a superlative eye for talent and Gibbons is arguably our player of the year. Hope it's not more ex-Super Rugby stars looking to carry a longstanding injury in the NH.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 21 May 2018, 9:03 am

I think there has been a fair bit of kneejerk reactions on here following Glasgow’s defeat.

Whilst Glasgow lost, it’s worth remembering:

• This is DR’s first season in a new hemisphere, let alone league/club
• Glasgow still qualified with ease for a home semi final
• DR missed most of preseason
• Until Friday, no team had come away from Glasgow with a point

Sure it’s disappointing that Glasgow were clearly second best on Friday and the last few weeks haven’t been great from a Glasgow point of view, but there are a lot of positives for them this season.

However, they need to do something with their forwards, primarily getting rid of Humphrys. He was poor at Scotland and looking at the Glasgow forwards and how they perform, he doesn’t seem to be doing much with them. Not sure how he’s still getting a job, but I believe Scott J is largely responsible for this.

Glasgow have some big lads in the front row, but they seem to be regressing or not utilising their size. Fagerson seems to be getting worse this season, I think he’s still a good player and will have a big future, but they need a coach who will improve them, which I don’t think Humphrys can do.

I’d also suggest they need to look at some of the 1st choice players. Wilson – Club captain (or vice captain) but if he’s first choice 8, then he just doesn’t do enough. 2 carries for 2 metres on Friday, and something like 1-2 tries all season. For a team that throws the ball about like Glasgow do, and for their number 8 to only get 2 tries is poor. I know he’s a fan’s favourite and normally gives his all, but sadly his ‘all’ possibly isn’t good enough, at least not for a team with realistic aims of winning the league.

There is a lot of work for Rennie, but he’s a proven coach, and I’m sure next season Glasgow will come back stronger.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Mon 21 May 2018, 9:07 am

Gibbins surely Captain next year. Too early last year as he had just joined, but clearly he’s the logical choice.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next