The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests

+5
Jetty
jimbohammers
Good Golly I'm Olly
alfie
Gooseberry
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests - Page 2 Empty Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests

Post by Gooseberry Mon 08 Jan 2018, 2:44 pm

First topic message reminder :

Well now all that test nonsense is out of the way we can settle down to main event of the tour, the T20 games. Obviously everyone in England(and Wales) got over the Ashses years ago and its only the quaint little colonials who still insist on clinging on to this outdated worthless format.
*cough*

The big news is that despite taking a public kicking from Farbrace James Vince has been included in the squad in favour of Moeen.
I guess this shows just how badly shell shocked Moeen really is, he otherwise would be considered an integral part of Englands limited overs plans in the build up to 2019. It also may have given him the opportunity to hit his way out of trouble in a format his attacking batting style and regular heroic failures are more acceptable.

It also leaves them with Dawson and Rashid as the two spin bowlers, who both move the ball in the same direction robbing England of a weapon against left handers. Crane does not get a place. Maybe a case of muddled thinking or "differences of poinion" between the limited over selectors and test team; Plunkett also gets a place despite missing out on the Ashes amongst the injury and form crisis.

Bairstow has also been rested which give Hales a good opportunity to pressure for his place back in the ODI side. It does make some sense to avoid burnout, if theya re going to play him dont make him hang aorund carrying drinks when he could be off down the bar getting into fights. Speaking of which Stokes is again included but unlikely to play.

Wood is included, he should be well over the injury by then....just short of cricket.

Overall its not far off the strongest squad but still lacks quality in the bowling. The real surprise is Vince.

Eoin Morgan (capt), Sam Billings, Jos Buttler, Tom Curran, Liam Dawson, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan, Dawid Malan, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, James Vince, David Willey, Mark Wood

Possible side:
Hales
Roy
Root
Morgan
Malan/Dawson
Buttler
Rashid
Willey
Plunkett
Jordan
Wood

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests

Post by alfie Sun 18 Feb 2018, 9:26 am

All done I can't get too fussed over this . But the t20 format does seem to have gone off the rails a bit since the last WC.

Maybe when Stokes gets back it will look better.  Think one or two of these can be discarded : looking at you , Billings.  Questions on Willey too , I think. I know he can be great with the new ball if it swings ; but he is of pretty limited use after the first few overs. Can they afford    
a bowler who can rarely bowl out ?

Good to see Morgan back in form.  And Dawson was excellent today .

Hope NZ v Australia is a good finishing match...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests - Page 2 Empty Re: Aus vs England proper cricket T20s way more important than tests

Post by VTR Sun 18 Feb 2018, 11:49 am

Not bothered by that, a rubbish idea for a tournament with a rubbish format and some truly rubbish cricket played e.g.edges being more effective than actual good shots a lot of the tim

I think international T20 should be World Cups only, this kind of stuff tacked on to tours is absolutely terrible

VTR

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sun 18 Feb 2018, 11:53 am

This stuff is basically continuous warm up, the quality will dip if there's no international fine tuning

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Sun 18 Feb 2018, 4:03 pm

I agree with Bayliss about not playing t20's at international level, have always said that, it should only be played domestically and internationals should just be test and ODI

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 18 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

VTR wrote:Not bothered by that, a rubbish idea for a tournament with a rubbish format and some truly rubbish cricket played e.g.edges being more effective than actual good shots a lot of the tim

I think international T20 should be World Cups only, this kind of stuff tacked on to tours is absolutely terrible

I agree with this - it’s good for the backup players to get a game, but otherwise they don’t serve a purpose. Do a few games warming upto the World Cup and that’ll be it
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2