The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+22
I'm never wrong
navyblueshorts
westisbest
raycastleunited
pedro
NedB-H
McLaren
wiretapper
Be_the_ball
Roller_Coaster
super_realist
Davie
dynamark
JAS
1GrumpyGolfer
Mad for Chelsea
Plunky
Hibbz
puligny
SmithersJones
Shotrock
BlueCoverman
26 posters

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Sun 07 Jan 2018, 12:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Stoke have spent 10 years in the premier league, they are bottom 3 and dumped out the cup by coventry. The perspy is that they are an established prem team, hughes has them shipping goals, not scoring and being certainties for relegation. They have spent big money on wimmer who has struggled, imbula who is out on loan and berahino who cant score, bojan is well paid and on the bench for alaves. Stoke fans have perspective, hughes had no clues. Surprised he stayed this long.

My family are potters!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by dynamark Sat 28 Apr 2018, 10:10 pm

Hello Leicester fan here .Puel should be gone this week thank goodness.What a dreadful excuse for a football manger.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 28 Apr 2018, 10:28 pm

dynamark wrote:Hello Leicester fan here .Puel should be gone this week thank goodness.What a dreadful excuse for a football manger.
Seriously? Who do Leicester fans think they are? Let's reflect a bit...

Leicester - serial nobodies in terms of challenging for League titles.
Ranieri wins Premier League utterly against all the odds and with a bunch of cast-offs and journeymen.
Ranieri sacked the season after because...well, it's football and the EPL isn't it?
Shakespeare comes in and does OK for a bit....then gets sacked.
Now we have Puel, who starts off fine, but then is somehow useless?

Honestly, only in football... Rolling Eyes
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 29 Apr 2018, 9:34 am

Look what happened to the last club to sack puel after a decent season. If Mahrez goes Leicester could be with the group just battling to stay up.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 29 Apr 2018, 9:48 am

Agree and not just Mahrez will be going.Morgan,Fuchs,Huth,and our recruitment has been awful since wining.A series of expensive players who we have not been able to integrate into the play.
Silva,Musa,Slimani.Mendy.Nailed on relegation.
The winning season was not exactly a bunch of cast offs remember we had Kante and Mahrez both PFL POTY.Vardy soring 11 on the trot.Team of decent internationals with the exception of Albrighton and Simpson and a couple of very shrewd free transfers.
Navy you had to be there to see the Ranieri debacle Shaky took us back to our style and did well then this year a very average start with a very tough first few games.
Well done to Palace.I think Huddersfield may well be the third team down.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:09 am

Stoke likely to join tha baggies down, but a win against palace could leave a massive game against swansea on final day of season. Saints also have swansea to play. Huddersfield have 3 horror games to go. Think swansea will join stoke.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 29 Apr 2018, 10:24 am

Not sure you can blame Puel for the poor recruitment, these days the managers seem to have very little say in who come in, which is of course ridiculous. I'd say he's done fairly well myself, hardly pulling up trees, but when I look at Leicester's team it's just not that great. Top 10 at best, which is where they'll end up.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 30 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

If you were Steven Gerrard what would you do....

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 30 Apr 2018, 2:51 pm

JAS wrote:If you were Steven Gerrard what would you do....

... never leave Liverpool ever.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 30 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

So Palace are currently 11th in the league, 6 points clear of the relegation zone. They haven't got to 40 points yet, and mathematically can still be relegated, but it seems like a good time to revisit the wisdom and vision of the legendary 606v2 football pundit in Sep 2017:

"I can't see how Wodgson is in any way going to steer Palace to survival. He's got 32 games to get 40 points. Not very likely is it?"

"At West Brom his win ratio was a paltry 37% (39% at Fulham). That's not impressive, especially if you bring him in to beat relegation. He actually did better at Liverpool where he was considered to be CRAP. So what possible hope can such a deadbeat bring to a team as dismal as Palace?"

"Most years you require 40 points to beat the drop, it's going to take Wodgson to go back to his Malmo/Viking days (which was ever such a long time ago, in tinpot leagues) to achieve this target."

"I look forward to March/April when I can say "told you so". "

"Let's see if Woy can pull them out of trouble, I'll bet a tenner he can't."

And for a bit of balance: "Why does Kloppy not play Andrew Robertson at left back instead of the hopeless Moreno?" To be fair you got that one right.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 30 Apr 2018, 6:22 pm

raycastleunited wrote:So Palace are currently 11th in the league, 6 points clear of the relegation zone. They haven't got to 40 points yet, and mathematically can still be relegated, but it seems like a good time to revisit the wisdom and vision of the legendary 606v2 football pundit in Sep 2017:

"I can't see how Wodgson is in any way going to steer Palace to survival. He's got 32 games to get 40 points. Not very likely is it?"

"At West Brom his win ratio was a paltry 37% (39% at Fulham). That's not impressive, especially if you bring him in to beat relegation. He actually did better at Liverpool where he was considered to be CRAP. So what possible hope can such a deadbeat bring to a team as dismal as Palace?"

"Most years you require 40 points to beat the drop, it's going to take Wodgson to go back to his Malmo/Viking days (which was ever such a long time ago, in tinpot leagues) to achieve this target."

And for a bit of balance: "Why does Kloppy not play Andrew Robertson at left back instead of the hopeless Moreno?" To be fair you got that one right.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 17 1347041234

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Mon 30 Apr 2018, 6:28 pm

raycastleunited wrote:So Palace are currently 11th in the league, 6 points clear of the relegation zone. They haven't got to 40 points yet, and mathematically can still be relegated, but it seems like a good time to revisit the wisdom and vision of the legendary 606v2 football pundit in Sep 2017:

To balance your balance, Im pretty certain the Robertson comment came after a game that Robertson, not Moreno, actually played in.
But Super has bigged up Robertson and he was a good buy. Personally, I rate Moreno, with Van Dyke in the side and a midfield that actually tries to defend, I very much doubt Moreno would look hopeless.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Mon 30 Apr 2018, 6:48 pm

Wasn't vvd slated when they signed him, he's actually been pretty good. And the team living in the past will probably be in the champs league final!

Glad he took the bet on about palace.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 May 2018, 7:57 am

Well done Woy Wodgson and Kwystal Palace. I was wrong.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 01 May 2018, 8:55 am

super_realist wrote: I was wrong.
Shocked Shocked

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 01 May 2018, 9:57 am

super_realist wrote:Well done Woy Wodgson and Kwystal Palace. I was wrong.

Shouldn't that be, "I was wong."

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 01 May 2018, 11:42 am

raycastleunited wrote:

Probably what he should do yes.

The door to Ibrox has just been opened wide this morning. Whilst I don't think Gerrard's the man, I couldn't honestly think of somebody who is who would take it on. I think the England job is a bit of a poison chalice, the Rangers job given the current situation (as far as can be told) is a flipping novichok chalice.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 01 May 2018, 12:09 pm

Stevie G need only to look at fellow Kop legend Barnes to see how a managerial career can unfold when taking over an old firm club who is financially inferior to the other.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 01 May 2018, 12:29 pm

McLaren wrote:Stevie G need only to look at fellow Kop legend Barnes to see how a managerial career can unfold when taking over an old firm club who is financially inferior to the other.

Totally agree Mac and yes the pendulum swings back and forth. Rangers were in a similar (though not quite as severe) a place when Souness walked in in 1986 but that's where that particular parallel ends (the Barnes one is much more apt) and any Rangers fan thinking Gerrard could emulate Souness are sadly deluded. Souness demanded and got proper financial backing, even if Gerrard came, demanded and got the same (highly unlikely) he'd still be stuck because there's just no way now that he could come down to England and scoop up the international Captain, goalkeeper and a couple of other international class acts. What allowed Souness to do that was English clubs being banned from Europe at that time. Unless Abramovich suddenly gets bored with Chelsea or a similar oligarch takes a sudden unexpected interest in Scottish football (why would they) then I think the most likely outcome is Rangers going back into administration. I already think it's too late to stop 10 in a row by Celtic and the most likely scenario is that Rangers will go bust trying.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 May 2018, 6:57 pm

JAS wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:

Probably what he should do yes.

The door to Ibrox has just been opened wide this morning. Whilst I don't think Gerrard's the man, I couldn't honestly think of somebody who is who would take it on. I think the England job is a bit of a poison chalice, the Rangers job given the current situation (as far as can be told) is a flipping novichok chalice.

You'd have to ask why anyone would want to walk into a crappy club like Rangers in the 26th ranked league in Europe. You only have to look at John Barnes to see what is likely to happen when you get an inexperienced manager in to manage one of the Ugly Sisters.
Gerrard would have to be a colossal moron to take the job, but then again, we've seen plenty examples that he is exactly that. He's as thick as the fans so would probably fit in well.

If he wants to gain some experience in managing a club, I'm sure there will be a vacancy at somewhere like Barnet or Luton in a few weeks that he could take. He'd get hounded out of Castle Greyskull in no time in Glasgow.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Tue 01 May 2018, 7:47 pm

Alternative view, limited expectations for real instant success. He will attract some decent players (in the context of the league) because of who he is. And if it all goes pear he's probably worth 30 million anyway and could still come back and get a lower league job or media work.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 01 May 2018, 7:53 pm

Digs,
Who's going to take over at Roker or wherever it is now?
Poisoned chalice for Coleman - if he had waited two days longer he'd've been at The Hawthorns and that part of history might have turned out better. (And perhaps you'd've ended up w/Pardew and won even fewer games.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 May 2018, 8:48 pm

Several experienced managers over the years have tried to get a tune out of the Huns, but no one has managed. It's a pretty tall order for someone who knows nothing about the league and with no experience to turn the club around.
They already spend more than Hibs and Aberdeen, and still can't get 2nd place.

As for having no expectations, I don't think that's the case. Rangers have been battered by Celtic this year, their fans will go ballistic (cue wife beatings in Glasgow) if it continues to happen.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 01 May 2018, 9:18 pm

I did hear that Kevin Phillips was in line to be new Sunderland boss, with Alex Rae as his no 2.

Phillips has no managerial experience. A legend at Sunderland though.

Think he could make a decent manager in time.

Surely the Rangers job should be going for someone with managerial experience.

Someone who knows the SPL well.
Didn’t McKinnes turn the job down?

Gordon Strachen Wink

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 01 May 2018, 10:54 pm

With what Ulreich showed tonight I think he has a future as Liverpool GK.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 02 May 2018, 9:08 am

On Gerrard I don’t get why he would be tempted with the Rangers job other than it’s a big club with a large fan base. But it is an expectant fanbase that won't give him much time to learn the ropes.

I don’t buy “he only has to beat Celtic and he’ll be a success.” Celtic are miles ahead – as shown on Sunday – and over the last few seasons have ten times more TV money than any other Scottish team due to the Champion’s League and unless someone can stop us that will continue.

I also don’t buy the “a good run in Europe will be a success.” Rangers got put out of Europe this season in the first qualifying round by a team from Luxembourg. Although that was a bit of an upset if they do make it next season they’ll have four qualifying rounds against progressively better opposition just to get to the group stages. That’s with a World Cup and short close season thrown in.
Celtic regularly get horsed in Europe when they come up against anyone even remotely decent and as mentioned above we are miles better than Rangers.

Then there are the promises from the chairman / board and while I’m sure initially some of those will be kept they have history of lying to previous managers, the fans, the media etc as well as changing the goalposts as time goes on.

I appreciate that as a Celtic fan it’s my job to slag off Rangers but I was there on Sunday, it’s going to take more than a big name and a couple of his pals to make a difference that could be regarded as a success and like Barnes with Celtic in 99/00 his managerial career could well be over before it’s really begun.

Last edited by wiretapper on Wed 02 May 2018, 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 02 May 2018, 10:26 am

Even if Stevie G fails at Rangers, which I think he will, he can probably still get that stint at Barnet.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 May 2018, 1:06 pm

pedro wrote:Even if Stevie G fails at Rangers, which I think he will, he can probably still get that stint at Barnet.

I doubt it.

They tried the big name appointment a couple of years ago with Edgar Davids but when that didn't work they returned to the tried and trusted formula of Martin Allen and the like.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 May 2018, 1:37 pm

Gerrard viewpoint:

should do.... get a coaching role at Liverpool with youth / reserves etc, great opportunity to learn from Klopp and the team in place, in time he can work his way up Guardiola style.

will do.... go to Rangers. Too big a pay cheque to turn down. Doomed to end in failure unless he can get an experienced team to support him.

Rangers viewpoint:

Should do... approach an experienced championship manager and see if they are prepared to step down to Scottish football for more cash. I'm thinking Ian Holloway, Steve Cotterill, Mick McCarthy, etc. The ultimate hire of course would be Neil Warnock, but that's a bit ambitious for Rangers.

Will do... spunk a load of cash on Stevie G-Ranger. Maybe they have enough sense to hire an experienced coaching team and actually they want to use Gerrard for marketing and to attract better players. Who knows.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 02 May 2018, 2:20 pm

I can’t help thinking that McInnis turned it down after probing the likely transfer budget, as an ex player he would know the expectations at Ibrox, even more so than Gerrard. The thing is I just don’t see Tangers bridging the current gap (as well highlighted by Wiretapper) without a lot of innovative thinking, considerable investment and sustained luck. Investment wise they need to be thinking upwards of £50m if they’re serious. Given their worldwide fan base they should be tapping into that via a massive rights issue. Even then they’ll still need a benefactor with pockets a lot deeper than Dave King. Of course they could do all that and STILL be 2nd which in Glasgow speak is nowhere. If they are serious about having one more big financial heave to try and overturn Celtic then I would suggest they need somebody more experienced than Gerrard. DeBoer has been there and while his managerial cv ain’t brilliant, it’s more than just the blank canvas that is Gerrards.
The one bright spot on the horizon for Rangers is that if Rodgers continues in the current dominant vein, he will be tempted back to the premiership. I don’t think anyone should underestimate the job he’s done at Celtic, yes it’s a one horse race, but you still have to keep the standards up to keep the horse out front.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Wed 02 May 2018, 2:32 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Gerrard viewpoint:

should do.... get a coaching role at Liverpool with youth / reserves etc, great opportunity to learn from Klopp and the team in place, in time he can work his way up Guardiola style.

will do.... go to Rangers. Too big a pay cheque to turn down. Doomed to end in failure unless he can get an experienced team to support him.

Rangers viewpoint:

Should do... approach an experienced championship manager and see if they are prepared to step down to Scottish football for more cash. I'm thinking Ian Holloway, Steve Cotterill, Mick McCarthy, etc. The ultimate hire of course would be Neil Warnock, but that's a bit ambitious for Rangers.

Will do... spunk a load of cash on Stevie G-Ranger. Maybe they have enough sense to hire an experienced coaching team and actually they want to use Gerrard for marketing and to attract better players. Who knows.

Shocked

Ex captain and manager of Ireland and a former Celtic player. The fans would set Ibrox on fire and McCarthy would be hanging from a tree with a pitch fork through his middle within minutes of his appointment.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 May 2018, 3:15 pm

I forgot how racist and bigoted people in Glasgow were Sad

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 May 2018, 3:22 pm

JAS wrote:
The one bright spot on the horizon for Rangers is that if Rodgers continues in the current dominant vein, he will be tempted back to the premiership. I don’t think anyone should underestimate the job he’s done at Celtic, yes it’s a one horse race, but you still have to keep the standards up to keep the horse out front.

Would say Championship more likely. Could be a good fit for a team looking to challenge for promotion, someone like Villa.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Wed 02 May 2018, 3:28 pm

Brendan is here for ten in row, no worries about that Wink

In other news Sky Sports have lost La Liga rights from next season

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-lose-la-liga-12466557

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 02 May 2018, 3:38 pm

wiretapper wrote:
In other news Sky Sports have lost La Liga rights from next season

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sky-sports-lose-la-liga-12466557

I think my sky sports subscription is in danger. First the Champions League, then the Ashes, now La Liga. I barely watch Prem matches live, only have sky sports for the golf now.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 02 May 2018, 5:00 pm

Trouble is they’ll have most of the rest of the cricket still. Last couple of days there’s been announcements on La Liga and Pro 14, which brought home to me how rarely I actually watch either of those two things. My main sports viewing is golf, cricket, PL and CL football. For now the Sky/BT combo still does me fine.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 02 May 2018, 7:11 pm

JAS wrote:I can’t help thinking that McInnis turned it down after probing the likely transfer budget, as an ex player he would know the expectations at Ibrox, even more so than Gerrard.  The thing is I just don’t see Tangers bridging the current gap (as well highlighted by Wiretapper) without a lot of innovative thinking, considerable investment and sustained luck. Investment wise they need to be thinking upwards of £50m if they’re serious. Given their worldwide fan base they should be tapping into that via a massive rights issue. Even then they’ll still need a benefactor with pockets a lot deeper than Dave King. Of course they could do all that and STILL  be 2nd which in Glasgow speak is nowhere. If they are serious about having one more big financial heave to try and overturn Celtic then I would suggest they need somebody more experienced than Gerrard. DeBoer  has been there and while his managerial cv ain’t brilliant, it’s more than just the blank canvas that is Gerrards.

Nonsense, the majority of clubs of low standing and standard like Ranger with these "worldwide fan bases" are almost completely plastic and make no contribution to the club in any shape or form. All these "supporters clubs" in New York etc are just token fans, like Mac on his sofa watching United with a hooky streaming service. None of their "faux interest" in the club is reflected in income for the club.

Rangers are skint and have been a long time.  There is no supporter pool from which they can get anything like the money required to challenge Celtic and no petro-dollars are going to be put into such a dreadful league. Probably the only way they could get close would be to grow their own, like Tierney and McGregor.

You're right about Rodgers though, it must be a massive anti climax to win such a one horse league and a sense of no achievement whatsoever, even worse than winning the F1 championship. So he'll be away before too long, probably another year at most I would think.

Maybe Roy Keane might be interested in Rangers Run

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 02 May 2018, 7:15 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Digs,
Who's going to take over at Roker or wherever it is now?
Poisoned chalice for Coleman - if he had waited two days longer he'd've been at The Hawthorns and that part of history might have turned out better. (And perhaps you'd've ended up w/Pardew and won even fewer games.)

Who knows. The good news is it looks like Short is selling, hopefully the new owners will be a bit more generous, though to be fair Short started off fairly well.
I'd like a young guy, can't say that Phillips has ever struck me as that smart but if he knows his football and has the players on board then who knows.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 02 May 2018, 10:28 pm

Ironic that the team living in the past sealed the deal in the capital of the Roman Empire.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 02 May 2018, 10:32 pm

Stevie G would only attract past their prime players or has beens. No one serious about their footballing career would go to Rangers because of Stevie G. If he was a proven manager, maybe, otherwise no chance. It would be like going to the MLS or China.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 02 May 2018, 10:44 pm

My advice for the CL final:

Liverpool need to bring their fans.
Real Madrid need to bring their referee.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Wed 02 May 2018, 10:51 pm

Are Liverpool vulnerable...yep. Can they cause havoc...oh yeah. This is not a BM or Barcelona they are playing, they'll get plenty of ball in the final. Classic match up though, experience and lots of class against pace and potential.
Toss of a coin for me.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 03 May 2018, 10:16 am

super_realist wrote:
JAS wrote:I can’t help thinking that McInnis turned it down after probing the likely transfer budget, as an ex player he would know the expectations at Ibrox, even more so than Gerrard.  The thing is I just don’t see Tangers bridging the current gap (as well highlighted by Wiretapper) without a lot of innovative thinking, considerable investment and sustained luck. Investment wise they need to be thinking upwards of £50m if they’re serious. Given their worldwide fan base they should be tapping into that via a massive rights issue. Even then they’ll still need a benefactor with pockets a lot deeper than Dave King. Of course they could do all that and STILL  be 2nd which in Glasgow speak is nowhere. If they are serious about having one more big financial heave to try and overturn Celtic then I would suggest they need somebody more experienced than Gerrard. DeBoer  has been there and while his managerial cv ain’t brilliant, it’s more than just the blank canvas that is Gerrards.

Nonsense, the majority of clubs of low standing and standard like Ranger with these "worldwide fan bases" are almost completely plastic and make no contribution to the club in any shape or form. All these "supporters clubs" in New York etc are just token fans, like Mac on his sofa watching United with a hooky streaming service. None of their "faux interest" in the club is reflected in income for the club.

Rangers are skint and have been a long time.  There is no supporter pool from which they can get anything like the money required to challenge Celtic and no petro-dollars are going to be put into such a dreadful league. Probably the only way they could get close would be to grow their own, like Tierney and McGregor.

You're right about Rodgers though, it must be a massive anti climax to win such a one horse league and a sense of no achievement whatsoever, even worse than winning the F1 championship. So he'll be away before too long, probably another year at most I would think.

Maybe Roy Keane might be interested in Rangers Run

Well given your predictions about Woy at Palace and about Liverpool living in the past, Rangers fans everywhere should feel quite heartened by your insightful, knowledgeable assessment :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 May 2018, 12:29 pm

Rangers is a big club in Glasgow, but that's a very small pond. Is Rangers a big club outside Scotland? I don't know. They don't feature in the Deloitte football league.

Do they have an international fan base? What's the international audience for Scottish football? Miniscule I would imagine. Can't see where the collateral to support a rights issue would come from. Teams like Stoke and Leicester probably have a far bigger revenue stream than Rangers.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 May 2018, 12:31 pm

pedro wrote:With what Ulreich showed tonight I think he has a future as Liverpool GK.

I saw this last night. The worst howler I've seen for a good few years, and what a game to do it!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 May 2018, 1:36 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:With what Ulreich showed tonight I think he has a future as Liverpool GK.

I saw this last night. The worst howler I've seen for a good few years, and what a game to do it!
The kind of blunder you'd expect from Mignolet or Karius. But maybe Loris will "save it" for the final.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 03 May 2018, 1:48 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Rangers is a big club in Glasgow, but that's a very small pond. Is Rangers a big club outside Scotland? I don't know. They don't feature in the Deloitte football league.

Do they have an international fan base? What's the international audience for Scottish football? Miniscule I would imagine. Can't see where the collateral to support a rights issue would come from. Teams like Stoke and Leicester probably have a far bigger revenue stream than Rangers.

To be fair it is being eroded but despite what Super says yes there is a significant worldwide fanbase, before the commercial & marketing success of the Premiership in recent years the Old Firm would compete world wide in terms of merchandise and shirt sales. They also have upwards of 40000 season ticket sales (something Stoke & Leicester could only dream about). I would hazard a hypothetical guess that even Man United would struggle to get 49000 inside Old Trafford for a league game against the likes of Peterhead, Arbroath, Alloa etc. Even when they were in the lowest tier of Scottish football they still were in the top 6 in Britain for home gates. A brief look at their website suggest over 200 registered Supporters Clubs in the UK and another hundred or so outside the Uk.

Deloitte being accountants (and pretty Poopie ones at that) will tell you about financial position (which they did really well with Carillion before they bombed - but thats another story). So if the only measure of "big" is based on finance and nothing else well unsurprisingly yes you'd have to say minuscule. Have we actually acquiesced to the point where we accept accountants opinions as gospel over football historians? I've been saying for over a decade that money has ruined football and Scottish football is one of the examples. It used to be a feeder of great players and managers to the English league....now it just simply isn't. Other examples of how money has ruined football are
Teams like Leeds United, Borussia Dortmund, Fiorentina going bust.
European greats like Benfica, Porto, Ajax, Feyenoord no longer being able to seriously compete at the top table
Players with more money than sense dallying with hookers and having gambling issues, also undermining their managers,
managers being given no time to build beyond 1 annual balance sheet
but the best example of how money has screwed football???...how about the location of the 2022 world cup?

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 03 May 2018, 2:20 pm

Money may have ruined it for some, but overall? Is it due to money that Rangers are no longer a feeder of great players? Or is it beacuse international and overseas players are becoming more available? I assume Rangers still have a youth section where kids would love to play? AFAIK big clubs can't fetch them until they are 15, previoulsy it was much younger.

And when looking at the product, I'd say this years CL has been as entertaining as ever. The EPL also has a good product although there may be a few to many seat fillers in the league. The Bundesliga has the highest attendance rate in Europe despite being of mediocre quality. La Liga has been better than ever in the last 5 years. Serie A seems to be rebounding, at least when it comes to Italian club performances in Europe. Yes, the victims may be the SPL, Holland, Belgium etc., and yes some transfer fees are OTT and should be stopped, but generally it's probably a stretch to say "money" has ruined football as such.

Agree about Qatar though. Scandal.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 03 May 2018, 2:56 pm

JAS wrote:
raycastleunited wrote:Rangers is a big club in Glasgow, but that's a very small pond. Is Rangers a big club outside Scotland? I don't know. They don't feature in the Deloitte football league.

To be fair it is being eroded but despite what Super says yes there is a significant worldwide fanbase, before the commercial & marketing success of the Premiership in recent years the Old Firm would compete world wide in terms of merchandise and shirt sales. They also have upwards of 40000 season ticket sales (something Stoke & Leicester could only dream about). I would hazard a hypothetical guess that even Man United would struggle to get 49000 inside Old Trafford for a league game against the likes of Peterhead, Arbroath, Alloa etc. Even when they were in the lowest tier of Scottish football they still were in the top 6 in Britain for home gates. A brief look at their website suggest over 200 registered Supporters Clubs in the UK and another hundred or so outside the Uk.

Deloitte being accountants (and pretty Poopie ones at that) will tell you about financial position (which they did really well with Carillion before they bombed - but thats another story). So if the only measure of "big" is based on finance and nothing else well unsurprisingly yes you'd have to say minuscule. Have we actually acquiesced to the point where we accept accountants opinions as gospel over football historians? I've been saying for over a decade that money has ruined football and Scottish football is one of the examples. It used to be a feeder of great players and managers to the English league....now it just simply isn't. Other examples of how money has ruined football are
European greats like Benfica, Porto, Ajax, Feyenoord no longer being able to seriously compete at the top table
Players with more money than sense dallying with hookers and having gambling issues, also undermining their managers,
but the best example of how money has screwed football???...how about the location of the 2022 world cup?

JAS, I agree with your points about money negatively impacting the romance of football, but this whole debate was about whether Rangers have the cash / resources / capability to challenge again, so Deloitte's annual football rich list is surely a good indicator?

40,000 season ticket sales is impressive, but gate receipts only make up one component of revenue. Rangers had £29m revenue in 2017, whereas in the same period Stoke had £140m and Leicester had £233m. So which club is the minnow?

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Thu 03 May 2018, 5:15 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
JAS wrote:

JAS, I agree with your points about money negatively impacting the romance of football, but this whole debate was about whether Rangers have the cash / resources / capability to challenge again, so Deloitte's annual football rich list is surely a good indicator?

40,000 season ticket sales is impressive, but gate receipts only make up one component of revenue. Rangers had £29m revenue in 2017, whereas in the same period Stoke had £140m and Leicester had £233m. So which club is the minnow?

Surely though, they don't need to have the revenue of a Premier League club. Their only target should be domestic success, so they need to have a revenue that allows them to be competitive in the Scottish league. Clearly, this means getting closer to Celtic, a quick Google tells me they have revenue of £52 million, so a fair bit more than Rangers but if managed well it shouldn't be a remotely impossible task to get back on terms, or at least a lot closer, than they currently are.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 03 May 2018, 8:17 pm

Are we all agreed Super is clueless when it comes to football?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 20 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next