The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v England Test Series

+16
Good Golly I'm Olly
Jetty
Duty281
alfie
Gooseberry
Pal Joey
hopeforthebest
JDizzle
Born Slippy
Nathaniel Jacobs
subhranshu.kumar.5
wisden
jimbohammers
No name Bertie
LondonTiger
LivinginItaly
20 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

New Zealand v England Test Series - Page 7 Empty New Zealand v England Test Series

Post by Duty281 Thu 22 Mar 2018, 1:22 am

First topic message reminder :

The first test of a largely ignored series has started.

England 6/1 at the moment. Would you believe Alastair Cook is out nicking to slip? You would? Quite...

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England Test Series - Page 7 Empty Re: New Zealand v England Test Series

Post by CaledonianCraig Sat 31 Mar 2018, 6:56 pm

As things stand it is advantage England but that could change with a good stand or two in the New Zealand tail end. If England can take a lead of 50 into their second innings it will be a good advantage.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v England Test Series - Page 7 Empty Re: New Zealand v England Test Series

Post by wisden Sat 31 Mar 2018, 7:01 pm

Good comeback by Watling and CDH, but no real suprise that only Broad and Anderson got our wickets...leach bowled tidily though

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:40 pm

Have to like the way these Kiwis play...

Southee smithing Stokes for six while he's still basically warming up...17 runs already in a couple of overs : making hay before the new ball !

That England lead may not be much at all the way this is going.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:46 pm

Absolutely the right approach.

No point hanging around with a new ball around the corner. Get a move on and get as close to 307 as possible.

10-15 overs of batting like this and that lead will be very small indeed.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:51 pm

I wake up after the tea break to see Malan and Stokes in bat don’t I? Seen this england story before...
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 31 Mar 2018, 11:53 pm

Here's the new ball now...not a moment too soon for England. Question now will be whether they can nip out one of these two quickly as they're off and running early this morning - and I suspect Southee at least will keep attacking...

First couple of balls from Jimmy moved nicely past the edge Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:00 am

Lovely bowling from Andrson to clean bowl Watling clap

A fine 85 for the NZ keeper ; has rescued his side along with CDG and Southee - but that is the break England needed.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:07 am

alfie wrote:Have to like the way these Kiwis play...

Southee smithing Stokes for six while he's still basically warming up...17 runs already in a couple of overs : making hay before the new ball !

Hi Alfie and all - just read on cricinfo (I highly recommend the reports from Andrew Miller, he's got a lovely turn of phrase) that Southee is now in the top 20 of six hitters in Test cricket, apparently of all time. Find that very surprising but assume it's correct.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:09 am

Michelle for Broad ! Bairstow too , actually . Sodhi was unlikely to last long...

Southee will keep swinging.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:09 am

A fivefer for Broad and Bairstow as Sodhi edges behind. A miserable game so far for the Kiwi spinner.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:15 am

Hi guildford...

Not surprised to hear about Southee and his six hitting record. Remember some blistering - if fairly brief - innings from him. Also he often plays on smallish NZ ovals... But he is a strong lad and always has an aggressive approach.

As to your point re Root and the other part time spinners I couldn't agree more : if they think a spinner is needed in a match they must pick a real one. The only time I'd consider (with trepidation) going with just Root , Malan etc , is if the conditions suggest the pace men will do all the bowling.
Of course even when they think that , it doesn't always work out Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:21 am

Lots of helmets getting clattered in this match ! Wagner the latest to cop a blow...

Whatever did they do before helmets ? Why weren't we all killed back in the day ?
I do seriously believe the average cricketer - at all levels - tended to play the bouncer better before the - very sensible - head protection became part of the game. He had to.

Good and valuable fifty for Southee clap

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:26 am

Another nice piece of extraction from Jimmy ...full and straight and Southee departs . Looks like a lead of sixty or so coming up. Handy.

Mind you that represents a good comeback from a team that was 270 behind with their first five back in the pavilion ! And I'm sure Boult and Southee will fancy their chances again in a few minutes with ball in hand...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:35 am

guildfordbat wrote:
alfie wrote:Have to like the way these Kiwis play...

Hi Alfie and all - just read on cricinfo (I highly recommend the reports from Andrew Miller, he's got a lovely turn of phrase) that Southee is now in the top 20 of six hitters in Test cricket, apparently of all time. Find that very surprising but assume it's correct.

Indeed so. Closing in on Botham!

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283122.html

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:39 am

Ha ! I spoke too soon. Wagner trimming the lead below fifty with some lusty swipes.
Shouldn't have hit him on the head Smile

This will be frustrating for England. Match remains very much alive.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:46 am

Only 42 on now...

Wood replacing Jimmy. If he tries the short rubbish again NZ might get a lead...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:55 am

England seem powerless to stop this last wicket onslaught...deficit down to just 34

NZ have certainly had the better of this morning and a few early wickets would see them back on top in the match. Especially as it might be hard for Anderson and Broad to repeat their first innings efforts after bowling a lot of overs ...and one can't have too much faith in the others.

Still got to end this innings anyway...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 12:55 am

England's last wicket partnership: 0.
New Zealand's last wicket partnership: 37 and counting.

On such margins do tight games get decided.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:02 am

I had a feeling that Wagner wasn't a total mug with the bat. Just looked up his 2017 stats for county champs Essex - only one 50 but he averaged a shade over 24 normally batting around number 9. That's not earth shattering but still more than decent.

His partnership now with Boult is proving mighty handy for New New Zealand and bl**dy frustrating for England. Surely they can't get a lead? I'll still say they won't but it's gone a long way to evening things up.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:03 am

England getting desperate...clueless waste of review .

Inspiration is missing . Though in fairness it is sometimes difficult to know what to do with these 10th wicket stands as the tailenders play in such weird ways : if they get lucky almost anything can go for runs.

Still prefer the basics , myself. Forget this short garbage. Aim for top of off...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:11 am

Eventually the short barrage gets a result. Good catch Malan clap Broad gets six and deserves them ...fair to say his career is back on track thumbsup

Only a lead of , what , 28 ? Hardly a factor. NZ have basically cancelled out the advantage that 36/5 ought to have brought England.

And for all the talk of England picking new , fresh , bowlers - for their bowling skills rather than additional batting - it made absolutely no difference. Anderson and Broad remain the only effective wicket taking options.
Not complaining , mind. Wood and Leach did better with the bat than Moeen and co have been doing lately Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:15 am

And finally Broad gets Boult. Great effort by the New Zealand tail to carry on the good work of Watling and CDG to limit the lead beneath 30.

So far in the match, 20 wickets shared between 4 bowlers. No luck for Wood in the last 10 minutes or so although I'm not sure his earlier ill-thought out efforts deserved much. As for Leach, he was tidy ...but was that enough? Maybe it was, judge properly after NZ's second dig.

Awkward 15 minutes coming up for Cook and Stoneman ... Boult might not mind being out when he was.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:25 am

Yes fair to say Leach was tidy. And not a lot doing for him on day two - might be better in the fourth innings.

Note though only three maidens. Not all that much control factor. And no wickets. If he is to keep a place ahead of , presumably , Moeen - I doubt he's been permanently discarded - he needs to show a bit more than that. Only a first appearance so we will have to wait and see .

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:26 am

Duty281 wrote:England's last wicket partnership: 0.
New Zealand's last wicket partnership: 37 and counting.

On such margins do tight games get decided.

Yes and I appreciate your stat, Duty, is obviously the more significant ... but England only conceded 1 extra to New Zealand's 16. Even with umpires highly reluctant to call no balls these days, that's still a fine and disciplined effort by England. I didn't see all of New Zealand's innings by any means (so I might have missed some blunders and be setting myself up for fall) but my impression was that England's fielding generally was tight with a lot of commitment being shown.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:28 am

And as to Wood his efforts here so far have done nothing to change my view that he is only just a Test bowler at best. (good with the white ball)
He seems to get a lot better - at least in public opinion - when he's not in the team Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:32 am

And as we approach lunch I hope my critical comments will inspire Leach and Wood into a bag of wickets tomorrow Smile

Safe to the interval , 7/0.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 01 Apr 2018, 1:37 am

alfie wrote:And as to Wood his efforts here so far have done nothing to change my view that he is only just a Test bowler at best. (good with the white ball)
He seems to get a lot better - at least in public opinion - when he's not in the team Smile

Oh yes, definitely. Noise from the Leach fan club also seems to have gone down a notch in the last 24 hours.

Anyway, Cook and Stoneman couldn't win anything in those 5 overs before lunch but credit to them for not losing their heads or their wickets. I obviously hope they can both go on in the middle session as I now head for bed. Night, Alfie and all.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:19 am

Another low score for Cook exiting for 14. England though with the upper hand and are 70 for 1 (effectively 98 for 1) with Stoneman on 27 and Vince on 28. Both in desperate need of a big score to relieve the pressure.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:41 am

Vince (37) and Stoneman (32) continue to build for England. The 50 partnership up and the lead now 114.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 3:53 am

An appeal for caught behind against Stoneman on 35 is given out but  is reviewed. However, Stoneman is reprieved as the ball brushed his sleeve.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:02 am

England reach 100 for 1. Stoneman (39) and Vince (45) on a partnership of 76. England lead by 129 runs.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:05 am

And a much-needed half century for James Vince brought up by a dreamy drive through the covers. England 109 for 1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:12 am

England go into tea in control on 113 for 1 with Stoneman on 42 and Vince on 55 with the lead now 142.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:32 am

This final session could decide Vince and Stoneman's test career.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:36 am

Stoneman dropped at first slip on 48.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:39 am

A review against Vince for caught behind.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:41 am

A New Zealand review wasted and Vince remains on 55. England 119 for 1.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:48 am

Stoneman follows Vince in getting a much-needed 50. And also up comes the century partnership between these two under pressure batsmen.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:48 am

That is Stoneman's fifth half century for England.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 4:55 am

Personally, I feel Vince needs a century more than Stoneman who has been that bit more consistent than Vince in his test career so far.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 5:00 am

This pair continue to build. Stoneman on 56 and Vince on 66. The partnership is now worth 114 and England lead by 167.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 5:08 am

Stoneman flashes at a drive hard and is dropped in the slips on 57.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 5:22 am

Stoneman flashes hard at a wide delivery and Watling pulls off a great catch. Stoneman out for 60 and England are 147 for 2 wirh a lead of 176. Is that enough to keep Stoneman's place?
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by subhranshu.kumar.5 Sun 01 Apr 2018, 5:45 am

England Looks strong now. Root is in there with strong and settled Vince. Looks like NZ are going to chase nothing less than 450 with a day and session to spare.
subhranshu.kumar.5
subhranshu.kumar.5

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:22 am

Hmm. Had to go out at 50/1 and come home now to see I've missed Vince's bid to resurrect his Test prospects Smile

Is 76 enough ? How did he play ?   I see Stoneman - and I agree he might be in a slightly stronger position after a few fifties - once again really couldn't bring himself to go on : dropped twice after 48 ?  But still out for 60.  
Useful for the team today , both of them.  But maybe not enough to get them off the knife edge of selection consideration ?

Cook I saw : actually looked pretty good and I'd hoped he'd get properly in ; but he fell the familiar way prodding at Boult...you could see how he mentally kicked himself as he did so. It was his first mistake ...happens when you're in a bad trot. Still think he can get back - as long as he wants it enough.  We shall see.

As to the match England are taking a bit of a grip , it appears . Lead over 200 and seven wickets in hand.  Batting looks easy so they'll want to set a big target ; but you'd think they might be able to do so.

Still only four wicket takers in the match.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:37 am

Some very dodgy calling then ! Root nearly ran his partner out then : would have if the fielder had gathered cleanly.

Generally Root has been pretty circumspect since I came in...24 from 59 and clearly looking for tomorrow.

Lead to 222 . Ghost of Richie Benaud getting excited Smile

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:40 am

Watling getting very excited over a leg side take off Sodhi ...

Review : looks a bit desperate. No way. Malan safe. And NZ out of referrals .

Still just three wicket takers.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:51 am

alfie wrote:Hmm. Had to go out at 50/1 and come home now to see I've missed Vince's bid to resurrect his Test prospects Smile

Is 76 enough ? How did he play ?   I see Stoneman - and I agree he might be in a slightly stronger position after a few fifties - once again really couldn't bring himself to go on : dropped twice after 48 ?  But still out for 60.  
Useful for the team today , both of them.  But maybe not enough to get them off the knife edge of selection consideration ?

Vince still had a couple of brain fade wafts as bad light enfs play with them on 202 for 3. Vince crazily swept even though NZ had a man placed close up for that shot. Was it enough? I have my doubts. Stoneman in a similar plight but suppose he may be in danger because Hameed looks like he is a ready made replacement when you think about it.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:53 am

England will resume tomorrow with a lead of 231 and should have a lead of around 450 if they can bat through to tea to declare.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 01 Apr 2018, 6:56 am

Sounds like a good Road Map , Craig Smile

Might need all of four sessions to bowl. Pitch looks pretty benign. Maybe a little bit of spin for Leach by Tuesday ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next