The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wilkinson

5 posters

Go down

Wilkinson Empty Wilkinson

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 22 Mar 2018, 3:32 pm

Not much to add to this. Not.much to.do with rugby but I'd suggest you give it a read if you can.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/935231/Jonny-Wilkinson-Toulon-Dave-Alfred-rugby-union-anxiety-coach-captain

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Wilkinson Empty Re: Wilkinson

Post by TightHEAD Thu 22 Mar 2018, 3:35 pm

I heard he used to disguise himself when he went out in Aus.

Feel for the guy. So much expectation on his shoulders for so long.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 22 Mar 2018, 5:16 pm

I've huge respect and admiration for Jonny Wilkinson.

Unfortunately often it is the obsession and drive that helps makes someone so successful that also can tip them over the edge.

Sounds like he is doing good now, which is good to see.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 22 Mar 2018, 6:13 pm

Perfectionism.  That's what's crippled him.  Perfectionists are haunted by never being satisfied.  It's not that they think of themselves as being perfect, they hate themselves because they can't achieve it.

I think it's always been detectable that Wilkinson was an uneasy man, never comfortable.  You still get some of that when he's in studio doing his punditry.  There is always a lot going on in his head and he doesn't look the person that can relax too much and enjoy.

Like rodders says, that trait can propel certain players on.  They can give lots of joy to others but can't suck in any for themselves.

He's 38?  Well that's roughly the kind of age when people begin to settle, and even intense people can start realising that it's not the way to progress through life - instead developing an attitude of not caring what other people think or even not caring too much about past glories.  I think it seems, by him talking like this now, he's beginning to appreciate the slowing down and not caring aspect of his aging personality.

So he seems on the right path now and obviously feels himself that he's calmed some of the turmoil in his head.  But was always a nice, quiet, unassuming man for such a giant of the game.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Fri 23 Mar 2018, 7:21 am

I never thought that Wilkinson had any form of mental illness. just shows what a professonal he was at disguising it.

I guess with the pressure every rugby/sports person are under to perform to the best of their ability, every time they go on the field must be harder than any one who as never played at the top could imagine.

I hope it is all behind him now.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down